HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

AEG Sale Canceled / Leiweke Leaving Company / Kings Owners Not Changing

Old
03-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Anyone know how and why Leiweke is leaving? Can't imagine he was fired. Although, you never know in the business world.
Just wants to move on probably. He doesn't have to worry about money. Was probably wanting to do something else and was waiting to see the opportunities new ownership would bring.

I am sure it was mutual.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
TL may be moving on to pursue the NFL angle, regardless if AEG and Farmers Field is alive or dead. who knows.....thanks to TL for giving DL the resources to get the job done

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Perro

What is the Farmer's field project?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

So does that mean the Kings have not brought back the full championship team now?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
What is the Farmer's field project?
The proposed NFL stadium near Staples Center.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
The proposed NFL stadium near Staples Center.
oh thank you.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
oh thank you.
No...........thank you

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

Correct me if I'm worng but I remember pretty specifically hearing that TL would be retained regardless if AEG was sold. Does anyone else remember that?

LOL, it's always something, isn't it?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Correct me if I'm worng but I remember pretty specifically hearing that TL would be retained regardless if AEG was sold. Does anyone else remember that?

Perhaps he was and he decided to leave.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
lol, it appears that SOMEONE wants him to leave. It remains to be seen who.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
MynameisKing

its a shame, really. TL did alot for DTLA and the Kings. Hell, didn't he just win L.A.'s sports exec of the year award? Well, I think TL and Uncle Phil had a difference in directions and it was best TL to continue with other plans elsewhere.

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Phil Anschutz wanted nothing to do with the NFL and the stadium, that was all Leiweke's brainchild. Anschutz does not see eye-to-eye with the NFL's BOG, which is one reason why the NFL is reluctant to have a franchise in this city. The location of the proposed Farmers Field was also not very desirable, which is something Leiweke strongly pushed for.

The writing was on the wall: Leiweke was forced to resign. Anschutz put his company on the market after the city's approval to develop Farmers Field, then suddenly with the NFL looking at other sites, and Leiweke stepping down, AEG is no longer for sale? It's fairly obvious to me that Anschutz wants nothing to do with the NFL.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The paper wouldn't have mentioned it as "mutual'. If would have said , Tim left to pursue other interests.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Phil Anschutz wanted nothing to do with the NFL and the stadium, that was all Leiweke's brainchild. Anschutz does not see eye-to-eye with the NFL's BOG, which is one reason why the NFL is reluctant to have a franchise in this city. The location of the proposed Farmers Field was also not very desirable, which is something Leiweke strongly pushed for.

The writing was on the wall: Leiweke was forced to resign. Anschutz put his company on the market after the city's approval to develop Farmers Field, then suddenly with the NFL looking at other sites, and Leiweke stepping down, AEG is no longer for sale? It's fairly obvious to me that Anschutz wants nothing to do with the NFL.
This makes a lot of sense....almost too much sense. Ziggy must know something.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
"@DennisTFP: Dean Lombardi told me at opening season presser Kings could spend to cap to defend, wonder if changes w AEG money guy Beckerman as new boss"

There you go. I knew it would mean something to our team. Money might not be as flexible as it used to be. Not good, not good at all.
reading comprehension fail

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Beckerman, who takes over as president and CEO of AEG following Tim Leiweke's departure, joined company in '97 as CFO of Kings. Given that, I don't expect the financial purse strings to tighten, given he controlled them.

Not to mention - Nancy loves the Kings.
This. Beckerman is the one who had the best understanding of the money flow, and likely the 'spend to the cap' allowance flowed right through him, or even from him. I doubt he'll penny pinch just because he's a finance guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
The paper wouldn't have mentioned it as "mutual'. If would have said , Tim left to pursue other interests.
Not necessarily. TL could have said that it was mutual to not make AEG look bad, or maybe AEG needed to release him from his contract, which if they did, would have made it a mutual agreement.

Saying it was 'mutually agreed' is just the business world's way of saying people parted on good terms. I've seen that written in press releases thousands of times when I was a reporter, and several times there was far more to the story. Usually neither side wanted to get bombarded with questions about what really happened, so they just said it was mutually agreed and left it at that.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
yankeeking

Oour next set of avatars will sux, Lie-weekly was perfect what the hell is going to fit around beckerman

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
This. Beckerman is the one who had the best understanding of the money flow, and likely the 'spend to the cap' allowance flowed right through him, or even from him. I doubt he'll penny pinch just because he's a finance guy.

Not necessarily. TL could have said that it was mutual to not make AEG look bad, or maybe AEG needed to release him from his contract, which if they did, would have made it a mutual agreement.

Saying it was 'mutually agreed' is just the business world's way of saying people parted on good terms. I've seen that written in press releases thousands of times when I was a reporter, and several times there was far more to the story. Usually neither side wanted to get bombarded with questions about what really happened, so they just said it was mutually agreed and left it at that.
When employees leave jobs voluntarily, better jobs, family reasons, etc. It is reported as such and not reported as "Mutual"

When it's reported as "mutual" it's not voluntary

Old
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Oour next set of avatars will sux, Lie-weekly was perfect what the hell is going to fit around beckerman
I got dibs on "Bend it like Beckerman"

Old
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
When employees leave jobs voluntarily, better jobs, family reasons, etc. It is reported as such and not reported as "Mutual"

When it's reported as "mutual" it's not voluntary
Once again, I'll refer to the fact I have handled many issues similar to this in my days in the media field. And I know from first hand situations, mutual can very well mean mutual and voluntary on both sides. Sure, one party initiates it, but that does not mean the other party doesn't accept it and support the move.

Have you not left your job for another job, and your boss tell you on your last day that they will miss you and wish you well in your next job, even giving you a good reference to your new boss? It's basically the same thing here.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Bend it Like Beckerman

Edit: Beat to it by The Dingo. Good job!

Old
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
chesed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Once again, I'll refer to the fact I have handled many issues similar to this in my days in the media field. And I know from first hand situations, mutual can very well mean mutual and voluntary on both sides. Sure, one party initiates it, but that does not mean the other party doesn't accept it and support the move.

Have you not left your job for another job, and your boss tell you on your last day that they will miss you and wish you well in your next job, even giving you a good reference to your new boss? It's basically the same thing here.
I was just listening to KNX1070 business hour with Frank Mottek and he interviewed some sports business guy (sorry I can't remember the name), and during the discussion about AEG being pulled from sale he repeatedly referred to Leiwiki as being "let go." He even mentioned that it has been known for a while that changing up the company heads has been on Anschutz's mind.

Of course, I would take it with speculation as it's not somebody from the inside, but it would seem to onlookers as being "let go."

chesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Model62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post

Key AEG execs were extended immediately prior to the announcement. This would give the new owners some continuity and the extensions no doubt included healthy severance clauses, which would reward team players whether they stuck with the new ownership or didn't.

Really curious about TL.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Would you want to deal with a bunch of NFL owners that feel that they are entitled to retain majority ownership of the team after you build the stadium in which they will play?

Anschutz and the NFL BOG and other owners aren't getting along because he wants a majority stake in the franchise that moves to LA or an expansion team that would play in his stadium. The NFL is an exclusive club where the owners own a printing press and lots of green ink.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I wasn't a fan of Leiweke in the beginning, but I have to admit he made the proper corrections to have the franchise win a Stanley Cup.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote