HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Flyers Make the 2013 Playoffs

View Poll Results: Will the Flyers Make the 2013 Playoffs
No (Habemus Crapum!) 159 83.25%
Yes (Flyers magna sunt!) 32 16.75%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Datsjuk View Post
Come on, how negative you are its 3 points to 8. place.
they have 3 games in hand too. So it really could be 6 points to 8th.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadelphia ducks View Post
they have 3 games in hand too. So it really could be 6 points to 8th.
could.

03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

I wish I could say yes, but over the last 7 years on average the 8th seed in the East had 92 points. Adjusted for a 48 game schedule that works out to 54 points. To reach that number with the 20 games they have left the Flyers need to go 15-4-1 to hit that number. I haven't seen anything to suggest that's possible for this team.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
could.
Well I think it is safe to say that that number is going to grow. The other problem that people may also want to look at is the number of teams ahead and the number of teams behind with games in hand. The Flyers are in a BAD spot right now. Even if the Rangers go 0-3 in their games in hand, the Jets or Islanders also have games in hand (and are ahead). Then you have TB and Buffalo within two points and and games in hand. So even though they are three points out, it is really a much higher hill to climb IMO, and I am NEVER a doom and gloom guy. This season is done. Sell what you can and start planning for the future.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I haven't seen anything in the last 2 weeks that would suggest this team could go on crazy run. Sorry guys I just can't be positive right now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Ryker

Well, I said no in the original poll at the beginning of the season, and I can't really say I've been convinced otherwise.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:22 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
i hope not, because if they do we know its gonna be a disappointing exit.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
FlyingPhilly

How much did Homer pay the 8 people that voted yes?

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

So...should we start planning the anti-playoff avatars?

03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
FlyingPhilly

We should plan the 1st overall pick avatars.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
How much did Homer pay the 8 people that voted yes?
He split the remaining cap space in equal parts. Can't have that lying just lying around, after all!

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
We should plan the 1st overall pick avatars.
Traded first round pick?

Rookie Mistake.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Mota

The playoff picture doesnt really look as bad as I thought for the Flyers.

Up until this point, the Flyers opponents all have had the "games in hand"...but when the Pitt game next sunday gets here...the Flyers will actually be tied for games with the Rangers, and have one or two games in hand on WPG, NJ, OTT, and TOR. That is a pretty strange turn of events. Now obviously, if all of those teams have big weeks that could really but an end to the Flyers season...but none of them are exactly playing their best hockey right now.

The one thing the Flyers have going for them is a favorable schedule ahead of them...and not to mention a nice 6 day break with an already healthy team. The only issue is their inconsistent play, which I think most of us dont really see an end to...but you never know.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I don't have any confidence in this team to make a deep push even if they do make it. Even if Bryzgalov goes full Halak, the goal scoring isn't there. It would need to be one hell of a turnaround.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:50 AM
BillDineen

From the former analysis, the Flyers need to go at least 13-5-1 to make it. They have 10 home games and 9 road games. Flyers have 67.9% of available points in home games and only 26.7% of available points in road games. That projects to approx. 7-3 in their home games and 2-6-1 on the road.

Next two are on the road and they really need to at least one, likely both. Overall their record on the road has to be pretty stellar from now on to have any chance.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:02 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't have any confidence in this team to make a deep push even if they do make it. Even if Bryzgalov goes full Halak, the goal scoring isn't there. It would need to be one hell of a turnaround.
If they do actually make it, it means they go on a tremendous hot streak (because any slumpy so so run won't get them to 8th seed). More or less a complete 180. In that case they can win the cup as well because the would have figured out how to beat the Pens/Bruins/Devils/Habs before the playoffs even start.

Very very unlikely though.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:15 AM
BillDineen

Flyers have 2 road games and then 4 home games until the trade deadline. At their current rate, they would go (approx) 0-1-1 in the next two road games and 3-1 in their home games.

That would leave the Flyers needing to go 10-3 to close out the year. Even with that, Homer still might not be a seller. He does like long odds after all and might still be a buyer at the deadline.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Pierrot

The thing, compared to a full 82 games season,is that teams plays only in their own conference and not some 30 games against western teams. So saying that 54 points should be the minimum to get into playoff might be a little overated

There are gonna be a lot of MTL - OTT type of games for example, and if the top seeded team win against these 6-8 ranked team, everything is possible.

I would rather see the Flyers going in the playoffs and get kicked out in the first round than playing golf in april... The atmosphere of the playoffs is just amazing !

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Prongo
Beer

9.9% to make the playoffs! Almost 10%! No doubt we get there!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

I'm not sure which I'm more dumbfounded by the fact that someone started this thread last night or that 4 people actually think we have chance at the playoffs.
I voted no, but I wouldn't say that they have "no chance."

Despite the need for change within the organization, I think it's important to realize that in this age of the salary cap and parity...sometimes we're not going to make the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
ClarkeRuled

Nope.

ClarkeRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:46 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
This team celebrated a shootout win against the Devils as if they won a playoff game.. So no, they're not making the playoffs, they're living it right now.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The playoff picture doesnt really look as bad as I thought for the Flyers.

Up until this point, the Flyers opponents all have had the "games in hand"...but when the Pitt game next sunday gets here...the Flyers will actually be tied for games with the Rangers, and have one or two games in hand on WPG, NJ, OTT, and TOR. That is a pretty strange turn of events. Now obviously, if all of those teams have big weeks that could really but an end to the Flyers season...but none of them are exactly playing their best hockey right now.

The one thing the Flyers have going for them is a favorable schedule ahead of them...and not to mention a nice 6 day break with an already healthy team. The only issue is their inconsistent play, which I think most of us dont really see an end to...but you never know.
Actually, looking at the past 10 games, the only team playing worse than the Flyers are the Devils with a 3-5-2 (40%) record and maybe the Maple Laffs at 4-4-2 (50%), as opposed to the Flyers 5-5 record. From a very simplistic standpoint, the Jets are playing at a 75% level and even if they fall to 50%, they'll end at 52 points after their remaining 20 games. Similarly for the Senators, maintaining their current 60% will give them 58 points, for the Leafs 51 and for the Devils 47. In this model, Flyers would end up at 46.

Flyers play 10 of their remaining 19 games at home, 2 of which are against NJ and Ottawa. They also play Winnipeg, Toronto and Ottawa once each on the road. Best case scenario, they win both home games and one of the road games. Even given that, the best I can imagine looking at the remaining 19 games, is 22 points out of a possible 38 for a year end total of 49. Given their last game was a win against NJ, even if they went 14-6-0 over the last 20 (not impossible), they'd still come in at 55 points, which should put them on the bubble.

Winnipeg and/or Carolina are likely to get in based on winning their division, maybe both make it. Nobody's supplanting Montreal, Pittsburgh and Boston, and very likely Ottawa. I think Buffalo, Washington and Florida are out of it, so there's likely only 2-3 spots remaining for up to 7 teams to fight over. Unfortunately, for the Flyers, pretty long odds.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
This team celebrated a shootout win against the Devils as if they won a playoff game.. So no, they're not making the playoffs, they're living it right now.
Against a back up goalie as well

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Not looking good at all......

I guess now the question should be asked...what place in the league standings will the Flyers finish...as of this post they are 25th worst team in the league with the teams below them having games at hand!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote