HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we look at Jonas Hiller?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
coopdaloop123

vCash: 500
Should we look at Jonas Hiller?

Just looking over whose on the market as the deadline approaches and it seems the Ducks would be willing to move Jonas Hiller. Signed through next season, Hiller would be a 4.5 mil hit for the Cats.

I think it would be great to get him this season and send Marky back down to save him from getting crushed behind a beat up defense.

It will also be easier to move Clemmensen this offseason when he only has 1 year left on his deal. So ideally we would go into next season with Hiller as the starter and Markstrom as the backup. Then if we think Markstrom is the guy we could move Hiller at next year's deadline for a nice return.

The Ducks are in "win now" mode since Perry and Selanne might both be done next season, so I am sure we could entice them with a player like Fleischmann or Versteeg to help them to the cup this season.

Thoughts? It seems like a low-risk trade to me.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I really like Hiller, but I think it all depends on if they think that Markstrom is indeed ready to be the starter next year. If so, I can't see any use for Hiller as he is definitely starter material. Also, I think it also depends on what happens with guys like Jovo and Upshall eating up salary. Otherwise, if they traded for him, they'd likely let him become a free agent after the season due to Markstrom starting the following year.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Erick

With Scott Clemmensen regressing to the point that his #'s are just downright laughable/Markstrom's inexperience, I'd guess Tallon and company are trying to find ways to improve the goaltending. In order to do that, they might have to make a trade.

I like Hiller. I don't know if Anaheim would give him up, though. I wouldn't if I were them. He's a #1 despite early season struggles.

I think we should make a deal with Ottawa. They have Andy right now and Lehner is their future in net. That leaves Ben Bishop as the odd man out. They have no need for Bishop when Andy comes back, and Bishop is definitely an NHL goalie.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Benched

I like Hiller but he's a #1. I have no doubt Markstrom will be ready next year. I think he's ready now despite some jitters, particularly early in games. He's had two good games and two bad games since being back. Both of his games earlier this year weren't bad either. He'll be fine next year.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I think we need another goalie to replace Clemmensen, but not one at 4.5.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
With Scott Clemmensen regressing to the point that his #'s are just downright laughable/Markstrom's inexperience, I'd guess Tallon and company are trying to find ways to improve the goaltending. In order to do that, they might have to make a trade.

I like Hiller. I don't know if Anaheim would give him up, though. I wouldn't if I were them. He's a #1 despite early season struggles.

I think we should make a deal with Ottawa. They have Andy right now and Lehner is their future in net. That leaves Ben Bishop as the odd man out. They have no need for Bishop when Andy comes back, and Bishop is definitely an NHL goalie.
Bishop is to unproven. He would get lit up playing behind this team. I would personally love Hiller. He would definetely settle this team down.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

My opinion is to suffer through this season. No doubt Markstrom has looked shaky and unready for the NHL this season. However, the experience he's gaining is invaluable. This season is already a total loss. Let him get as many minutes as possible and learn.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
My opinion is to suffer through this season. No doubt Markstrom has looked shaky and unready for the NHL this season. However, the experience he's gaining is invaluable. This season is already a total loss. Let him get as many minutes as possible and learn.
Yeah, I think Markstrom will be fine. He's a rookie goalie going through growing pains. If anyone thought he would come up and play perfect right away, they weren't being realistic, especially behind this team. It's why I've been advocating for Clemmer to be bought out and us to bring in another goalie this summer. Markstrom needs someone to spell him for a stretch(and not suck)if he struggles, just like all other great young netminders in the past have needed.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Kaptain
WarBortles

You guys can have Josh Harding.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
You guys can have Josh Harding.
Not trying to knock Josh Harding at all because what he's going three must be so tough. But seriously, his career is going to be over soon with MS.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Not trying to knock Josh Harding at all because what he's going three must be so tough. But seriously, his career is going to be over soon with MS.
He never had much of one to start with. He wasn't even a good backup before his MS started getting worse. Feel bad for the guy but that's the last thing this team needs: a(nother) subpar player with health problems.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
He never had much of one to start with. He wasn't even a good backup before his MS started getting worse. Feel bad for the guy but that's the last thing this team needs: a(nother) subpar player with health problems.
Harding is horrible, which is why I'm saying you guys can have him. I don't want him on the Wild anymore.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

I would like us to sign Khudobin

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote