HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

vCash: 500
started on the international airport. Metal filled now working on oil and alloy. Should be done Friday.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
started on the international airport. Metal filled now working on oil and alloy. Should be done Friday.
Nice. For some reason my alloy won't go to my Great Work =\. The trucks have little icons and I see them enter the Arcology, turn around - drive back down the road, turn around - go back to the Arcology and it stays at 5/1000.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

I had to abandon a city due to too many homeless bums.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:13 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

It looks like you might be able to get refunds if you do a chargeback through your bank, and you won't get banned. Instead, your copy of SimCity will (appropriately) be voided, and if you ever decide to pay for it again you'll be able to play it.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:13 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
Hope you have a perfect street layout. The flood of taxis that come is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
It might take six months, but essentially these problems will be fixed. Also, modding will eventually be part of this game.
No, there won't be any mods. They want a Sims 3 level of income. That means locking out free content.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
No, there won't be any mods. They want a Sims 3 level of income. That means locking out free content.
http://www.***********/r/SimCity/comm...tarted_basics/

Old
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://www.***********/r/Games/commen...online_forced/

Quote:
Players have reverse engineered modding. Significant parts of the game's code is in Javascript.
The game can be played without an internet connection indefinitely after modding. Can only stay in one city.
SimCity has behavior for offline save handling. When offline, your city is saved and is uploaded to Origin the next time you go online. Offline mode seemed to be cut hastily.
Debug tools were left open, allowing 'griefing' other people's cities by setting DEBUG=1.
"Big maps" are referenced multiple times in the game's code. Possible DLC regions with big city plots? It's the only way they can increase the city size without breaking existing maps.
Internal terraforming tools were discovered, but requires a special build of the game.
Population numbers are faked / inflated - GetFudgedPopulation. chart [4] - thanks fat_ugly_midget.
After modding, you can play around outside 2km2 plot, and it saves syncs to the server.
Latest patch has made package files read only, and disabled debug tools / the cheat console. (Confirm please, I do not own / will not support the game)

Old
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
This is why I laugh when people rant about how people can't crack things. That just makes more people focused on cracking them.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 337
Finally got SC4 working, got a city to around 150k pop, but ran into the problem that always causes issues for me.

Residential zones abandoning due to commute time. I really have no idea how to fix this, I put bus stops everywhere (just recently started on a subway system too), avenue system throughout the city is solid, the abandoned part is right beside a highway which goes everywhere in the city, traffic congestion could be a bit better but it's by no means bad really... Is there a commute mod out there that fixes this? I never played with mods before, but I may resort to it if it helps. Alternatively, does anybody know what to do about this without mods?

I was never able to get into SC4 in the past due to this issue, and it often pushed me to go back and play SC3K instead, would love if I could finally figure out how to solve this.

Edit: Once I get home I can get a picture of my layout if it helps, (posting from phone currently) but for now I can say it's a map with a river, industrial on one side of the river and commercial and residential on the other side. The abandoned parts are pretty much in the centre of the map, right where my residential areas stop and the commercial areas begin.

Last edited by Diamondillium: 03-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Finally got SC4 working, got a city to around 150k pop, but ran into the problem that always causes issues for me.

Residential zones abandoning due to commute time. I really have no idea how to fix this, I put bus stops everywhere (just recently started on a subway system too), avenue system throughout the city is solid, the abandoned part is right beside a highway which goes everywhere in the city, traffic congestion could be a bit better but it's by no means bad really... Is there a commute mod out there that fixes this? I never played with mods before, but I may resort to it if it helps. Alternatively, does anybody know what to do about this without mods?

I was never able to get into SC4 in the past due to this issue, and it often pushed me to go back and play SC3K instead, would love if I could finally figure out how to solve this.
Eventually the game stops developing residential if the city is large enough

Really makes it hard to play at advanced stages

Old
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Eventually the game stops developing residential if the city is large enough

Really makes it hard to play at advanced stages
Makes sense, however Residential demad is still through the roof, and it's only got 150k pop. Since I've seen many cities out there with 1-3 million, I would assume that I'm not quite at that point yet, unless I'm missing something.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:

Edit: Once I get home I can get a picture of my layout if it helps, (posting from phone currently) but for now I can say it's a map with a river, industrial on one side of the river and commercial and residential on the other side. The abandoned parts are pretty much in the centre of the map, right where my residential areas stop and the commercial areas begin.
I would highly suggest you consider installing the network add-on mod. It improves things like commute management considerably over the built in traffic simulator that shipped with the game.

From what you have described, i'm guessing that even tho you have a highway very nearby, the sims aren't using it because it isn't the "shortest" path to where they want to go. And because of that, they are probably going through some extremely congested path somewhere along the way and it delays them enough that they use up their maximum trip time, meaning they never make it to work, leading to commute time abandonment since everyone in the same building tends to work in the same general area.

The only thing I found that works as far as preventing that in the default version of the game is to "checkerboard" your city, alternating areas of residential and commercial/industrial.

I would need to actually see your city, or ideally be able to load it up and look at it. If it does not have any neighbors you can just zip it up and stick it somewhere on the web and I can look at it if you want. Then I could go in and see exactly what is wrong.

But once again, I highly suggest getting the network addon mod, or at the very least the traffic simulator configuration tool, which will give you just the traffic simulator without all the other goodies, if you want to use the bare minimum as far as mods go.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I would highly suggest you consider installing the network add-on mod. It improves things like commute management considerably over the built in traffic simulator that shipped with the game.

From what you have described, i'm guessing that even tho you have a highway very nearby, the sims aren't using it because it isn't the "shortest" path to where they want to go. And because of that, they are probably going through some extremely congested path somewhere along the way and it delays them enough that they use up their maximum trip time, meaning they never make it to work, leading to commute time abandonment since everyone in the same building tends to work in the same general area.

The only thing I found that works as far as preventing that in the default version of the game is to "checkerboard" your city, alternating areas of residential and commercial/industrial.

I would need to actually see your city, or ideally be able to load it up and look at it. If it does not have any neighbors you can just zip it up and stick it somewhere on the web and I can look at it if you want. Then I could go in and see exactly what is wrong.

But once again, I highly suggest getting the network addon mod, or at the very least the traffic simulator configuration tool, which will give you just the traffic simulator without all the other goodies, if you want to use the bare minimum as far as mods go.
Thanks for the info, When I get home I'll definitely look into that mod. I'll also get some pictures of my city uploaded then too.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Thanks for the info, When I get home I'll definitely look into that mod. I'll also get some pictures of my city uploaded then too.
It's considered almost a mandatory mod because of how much better it makes things. And it's so loaded with features (if you install the whole thing) that it's more of a fan-made expansion at this point.

If you could, get a picture of the area just as is, zoomed out a bit to show the surrounding areas. Then get a picture of the traffic congestion data view, as well as the education data view. A picture of your Jobs and Pop. graph would also help.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
I built an all high-density high-income park city. Nothing but high-density high-income residential (20% tax on the lower class, 4% on high ) and a ton of high-income parks. You don't actually need commercial or industrial. No public transit (bus or street car), rail station, ferry or airport either.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Tribu

Just bought the game. Made my first city but I wondered how do my citizens get higher revenues? They're all worried about it.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
It's considered almost a mandatory mod because of how much better it makes things. And it's so loaded with features (if you install the whole thing) that it's more of a fan-made expansion at this point.

If you could, get a picture of the area just as is, zoomed out a bit to show the surrounding areas. Then get a picture of the traffic congestion data view, as well as the education data view. A picture of your Jobs and Pop. graph would also help.
http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/...04%20-%20Omega

1st picture - Infected area. Northwest of the diagonal highway and south of the horizantal portion of same highway both are loaded with abandonment due to commute times (This is what it looks like during a good time, last time I checked the abandonment was nearly double that)
2nd picture - General city view
3rd - Traffic, also showing that few people are actually using the highway (Perhaps that mod will fix that)
4th - That jobs and pop graph
5th - Education
(Not sure why the last 2 look overlapped of the traffic one, but whatevs)

This is also my first time playing a sim city game in years, so I'm sure the actual layout is embarrassingly bad compared to people who know what they're doing.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/...04%20-%20Omega

1st picture - Infected area. Northwest of the diagonal highway and south of the horizantal portion of same highway both are loaded with abandonment due to commute times (This is what it looks like during a good time, last time I checked the abandonment was nearly double that)
2nd picture - General city view
3rd - Traffic, also showing that few people are actually using the highway (Perhaps that mod will fix that)
4th - That jobs and pop graph
5th - Education
(Not sure why the last 2 look overlapped of the traffic one, but whatevs)

This is also my first time playing a sim city game in years, so I'm sure the actual layout is embarrassingly bad compared to people who know what they're doing.
Its not that bad. It looks better than my first SC4 city, actually.

It looks like congestion is the most likely culprit. And it looks like a lot of that is because the sims are using streets for so much.

There's a couple things you can try if you dont want to install NAM yet.

First: Deal with those damned streets. Two options here
Option A: Go through and see if you can turn some of them in to dead ends. The problem with streets tho is that they like to auto-connect to any other surface network when they get plopped, so if you bulldoze a street tile, rather than dragging street back on to the now empty tile, drag a tile of road instead. Roads dont hook up by themselves.
Option B: Upgrade non dead-end streets to full fledged roads. Ignore your advisor when he complains about "streets are endgangered". He's full of lies.

Second: Once all the congested streets are dealt with, start upgrading congested roads to one-way roads. Make sure to make one in each direction. One way roads are one of your best options for getting traffic to go where you want to go, but you have to make sure that other roads arent "shorter" because the sims will turn off of the one way and on to an already congested street if it's a shorter route, distance wise.

Third: Bus stops on every single corner in the city. Sims in the unmodded version of SC4 will only walk about 6 tiles or so to get to mass transit, so in order to get them to use it, the area must be saturated. Busses in unmodded SC4 also have the advantage that they do not contribute to traffic, so if a particular sims route to work is congested, he may take the bus.

Fourth: Make sure there are enough jobs for idiots in the city. your education map tells me that your sims are complete idiots for the most part, and your jobs and pop graph indicates that they are mostly low wealth. So, what kind of jobs do dirt poor, moronic sims qualify for? Fast food and dirty industries. You will probably need a fairly large patch of dirty industry within driving distance of that unemployment black hole so when people stop abandoning those buildings they have jobs that they qualify for to go to.

Fifth: make sure your overall jobs:pop ratio is a bit better than 1:2. About half of your city should be counted as workforce, so there need to be at least half as many jobs as there are people.

Sixth: once all of that is done, just let the simulation run for about 10-15 years. Once that time has elapsed, look at your education data view again. Every area covered by an elementary school should be a lot greener. Areas still in red and inside the radius of a school are prone to unemployment. Same for the health data view.

Finally: De-zone the problem areas and re-zone them as commercial.

If you still need some help, feel free to ask more. There are some more solutions, but most of those involve utilizing region play.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Its not that bad. It looks better than my first SC4 city, actually.

It looks like congestion is the most likely culprit. And it looks like a lot of that is because the sims are using streets for so much.

There's a couple things you can try if you dont want to install NAM yet.

First: Deal with those damned streets. Two options here
Option A: Go through and see if you can turn some of them in to dead ends. The problem with streets tho is that they like to auto-connect to any other surface network when they get plopped, so if you bulldoze a street tile, rather than dragging street back on to the now empty tile, drag a tile of road instead. Roads dont hook up by themselves.
Option B: Upgrade non dead-end streets to full fledged roads. Ignore your advisor when he complains about "streets are endgangered". He's full of lies.

Second: Once all the congested streets are dealt with, start upgrading congested roads to one-way roads. Make sure to make one in each direction. One way roads are one of your best options for getting traffic to go where you want to go, but you have to make sure that other roads arent "shorter" because the sims will turn off of the one way and on to an already congested street if it's a shorter route, distance wise.

Third: Bus stops on every single corner in the city. Sims in the unmodded version of SC4 will only walk about 6 tiles or so to get to mass transit, so in order to get them to use it, the area must be saturated. Busses in unmodded SC4 also have the advantage that they do not contribute to traffic, so if a particular sims route to work is congested, he may take the bus.

Fourth: Make sure there are enough jobs for idiots in the city. your education map tells me that your sims are complete idiots for the most part, and your jobs and pop graph indicates that they are mostly low wealth. So, what kind of jobs do dirt poor, moronic sims qualify for? Fast food and dirty industries. You will probably need a fairly large patch of dirty industry within driving distance of that unemployment black hole so when people stop abandoning those buildings they have jobs that they qualify for to go to.

Fifth: make sure your overall jobs:pop ratio is a bit better than 1:2. About half of your city should be counted as workforce, so there need to be at least half as many jobs as there are people.

Sixth: once all of that is done, just let the simulation run for about 10-15 years. Once that time has elapsed, look at your education data view again. Every area covered by an elementary school should be a lot greener. Areas still in red and inside the radius of a school are prone to unemployment. Same for the health data view.

Finally: De-zone the problem areas and re-zone them as commercial.

If you still need some help, feel free to ask more. There are some more solutions, but most of those involve utilizing region play.
Thanks for the help, I'll definitely give all those tips a shot, see how the city turns out. Greatly appreciate it

Old
03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

If all else fails just zip your city up (assuming it has no neighbors, if it does, zip the whole region) and put it on some file sharing site and pm me the URL. I'll take my mods out and look at your city to see what needs to be done.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wish I could get my money back and put it towards Bioshock Infinite.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
If all else fails just zip your city up (assuming it has no neighbors, if it does, zip the whole region) and put it on some file sharing site and pm me the URL. I'll take my mods out and look at your city to see what needs to be done.
No need it seems, after installing NAM, heeding the suggestions, and clearing out the abandoned zones, it seems all the zones are developing properly, and my city is now triving.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I built an all high-density high-income park city. Nothing but high-density high-income residential (20% tax on the lower class, 4% on high ) and a ton of high-income parks. You don't actually need commercial or industrial. No public transit (bus or street car), rail station, ferry or airport either.
Wow, that's interesting vBurmi. Let's discuss this instead of SC4.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
No need it seems, after installing NAM, heeding the suggestions, and clearing out the abandoned zones, it seems all the zones are developing properly, and my city is now triving.
If you also installed the Network Widening Mod (its included in the installer if you got nam 31), I highly suggest getting to know the TLA 3, 5, and 7 networks. They obliterate congestion.

What capacity level of nam did you install?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
If you also installed the Network Widening Mod (its included in the installer if you got nam 31), I highly suggest getting to know the TLA 3, 5, and 7 networks. They obliterate congestion.

What capacity level of nam did you install?
Think I went with ultra, just so I never have to worry about traffic again.

Closed Thread