HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Discussion: Should Tampa Bay Re-Address Their Goaltending?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Ho Borvat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Thompson is a dime a dozen player. Not to mention he plays on one of the worst defensive teams in the league - who's to say he's a good fit here? I doubt he plays ahead of Lapierre to be honest. You don't package him to Vancouver when Schneider is heading the other way. More value please you're reaching for weak players.

Purcell may have as many assists as henrik but let's not pretend he has the playmaking skills as Henrik.
Nate Thompson has VERY strong underlying numbers. Manny Malhotra (healthy) like.

Also Purcell had more points than anyone not named Sedin last year.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Those statistics are fluff to me. They don't take in to account who is shooting, if it's on the rush, if it's a one-timer and how much time the player has to take the shot.

Simply put. Nashville plays a very structured game that doesn't allow for free flowing offense. You can bring up a graph that shows where all the shots are taken but it really doesn't mean anything.

Defensively Nashville>>>>>>Tampa Bay and that will help Rinne's stats to some extent.
Again, over a large enough sample shot quality will normalize.

Say 2000 shots in 70 games for 2 goalies. Shot quality would normalize to average shooting %. (League average is ~9%).

The 2000 shots Rinne faces in 70 games would be the same quality Lindbak would face if he had 2000 shots in 70 games.

Differences would occur if lindback had say 2400 shots in 70 games to Rinnes 2000.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Like I said, I'm not pretending that Lindback is doing himself any favors, but Schneider or Bernier or any other goalie Tampa has any chance of acquiring is not going to single handedly change things. No goaltender short of Lundqvist or Rinne would have a chance behind that group.
An argument could be made for Luongo

And in all fairness, if Tampas goals against really can't go anywhere but up....

Old
03-14-2013, 07:25 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Again, over a large enough sample shot quality will normalize.

Say 2000 shots in 70 games for 2 goalies. Shot quality would normalize to average shooting %. (League average is ~9%).

The 2000 shots Rinne faces in 70 games would be the same quality Lindbak would face if he had 2000 shots in 70 games.

Differences would occur if lindback had say 2400 shots in 70 games to Rinnes 2000.
I understand what you are trying to rationalize to me but I don't agree with the bolded.

2000 shots the Predators give up are lower quality than 2000 shots the Lightning give up.

These statistics are fluffffffffff to me.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I understand what you are trying to rationalize to me but I don't agree with the bolded.

2000 shots the Predators give up are lower quality than 2000 shots the Lightning give up.

These statistics are fluffffffffff to me.
Say what you want but its basic statistics...

Old
03-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Something around this work?

Jonathan Bernier
Alec Martinez
Brad Richardson

Teddy Purcell
Mathieu Garon
2nd - 4th round pick'14
Doubt they target Bernier; if they truly are dissatisfied by Lindback, chances are they aren't going to target another young, unproven backup.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Doubt they target Bernier; if they truly are dissatisfied by Lindback, chances are they aren't going to target another young, unproven backup.
Would make more sense to acquire a Kipprusoff or Luongo who has shown the ability to carry teams that are terrible defensively.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Would make more sense to acquire a Kipprusoff or Luongo who has shown the ability to carry teams that are terrible defensively.

Luongo/Kipper/Miller/Schneider would make the most sense. I think Miller or Schneider are the most ideal for Tampa given age and contracts; but knowing Gillis, he'll play hard ball if Yzerman only wants Schneider (starting at Hedman).

Old
03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Caje

Bishop at the deadline?

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Bishop at the deadline?
While Bishop could be a great starter, why would Tampa risk making the same move that they just did last off season again?

Old
03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Luongo/Kipper/Miller/Schneider would make the most sense. I think Miller or Schneider are the most ideal for Tampa given age and contracts; but knowing Gillis, he'll play hard ball if Yzerman only wants Schneider (starting at Hedman).
I think Purcell would be the target. Tampa has tonnes of offense (plus Conacher/Connolly emerging).

Van needs a top-6 w/ playmaking ability.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
I think Purcell would be the target. Tampa has tonnes of offense (plus Conacher/Connolly emerging).

Van needs a top-6 w/ playmaking ability.

I'd rather get the best return possible and then convert that return to suit our needs via another trade, rather than just address our needs in 1 trade. Hedman > Purcell, if we were able to get either one by trading Schneider.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I'd rather get the best return possible and then convert that return to suit our needs via another trade, rather than just address our needs in 1 trade. Hedman > Purcell, if we were able to get either one by trading Schneider.
I just dont believe Hedman would be made available for anyone except an even better defender...

Old
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
TBLHoser

Of all the players that might be available in a trade, Hedman would not be one of them. He's finally beginning to show why he was the #2 pick and developing just as expected. Playing beside Salo has only made him better....as for the rest of the D, you can have them for a bag of pucks.

With regards to Lindback, he's shown flashes at times, but he's also only played 18 NHL games so far. He needs more time and acquiring a goaltender on a long term contract like Luongo is absurd. Since Garon's contract is up at the end of the year, a seasoned veteran on a 2-3 year contract is more likely to happen.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
glenbuis

I think Bishop would be ideal. He'd come cheaper than Miller,Kipper, Lou and the rest of the older bunch. Bishop would make a perfect 1 and 1a tandem where they push each other. Maybe a second and a player that's not in their future plans that Ottawa could use in the play-offs.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
I think Bishop would be ideal. He'd come cheaper than Miller,Kipper, Lou and the rest of the older bunch. Bishop would make a perfect 1 and 1a tandem where they push each other. Maybe a second and a player that's not in their future plans that Ottawa could use in the play-offs.
I would disagree.

I think you need a veteran guy (like Kipper).
Gives you a chance to win every night, but Lindback can lighten his workload and keep him fresh.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Hiller and Miller could be options in the offseason. Can't really see the Sabres moving Miller but you never know.
Not with re-alignment. Even if, on the off chance, Buffalo did deal Miller, they'd sure as hell make sure he went out of the division.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:12 AM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
When he played for Nashville he looked amazing. What's changed? Could it be the defense in front of him?

I haven't seen 1 tampa game; I can imagine his confidence has been rocked, but has he let in a lot of softies or something?

Korn vs Frantz Jean...goalie maker vs goalie wrecker

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Hiller and Miller could be options in the offseason. Can't really see the Sabres moving Miller but you never know.
Hiller.. possibly, maybe.

Miller, no way Buffalo deals him to division rival.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I'm fine with staying with Lindback. He was mismanaged early but has shown serious improvement.

And why would anyone think Hedman is even remotely available? Seriously, there is zero chance he gets traded. You might as well be asking for Stamkos.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Jacko95

Some posts in this thread are just ridiculous.

Purcell a 4th liner really???? He is a top line/ top6 player with great playmaking ability. He is non existent in the physical game, but he plays a fine game offensivly and is on pace for over 60 points in a full season (again).

Ohlund will never play again, he is far away from even skating, so no way he comes back. He is on LTIR and doesn't count against the cap, so Tampa doesn't care about his contract.

Lecavalier should be bought out for his game, but he won't be because he is the face of this franchise and it would be horrible for the organization and the fans if he is bought out.

Lindback is fine, no goalie would look good behind this D, and he let in a softie per game at the beginning of the season, while making 3-4 WOW saves per game as well. And as of late, he is playing very good and he will be fine next year.

And no way a are giving up Purcell and Thompson for Schneider. Purcell for Schneider would be okay valuewise, but Tampa has no need for Schneider with Lindback, Vasilevski (most likely in the AHL next year) and Janus as one of the top KHL goalies, that wants to come back this summer or the summer of 2014.

Same with the LA proposal, you want a top line winger, a middle round pick and a great backup for an (unproven) backup with starter potential, a 4th line center and a third pairing D (only looking on the minutes he plays). No thanks.

The only thing Tampa needs is a coaching overhaul this summer. No of the assistant/ goalie coaches should get a new contract and maybe even fire Boucher and bring up Cooper.

Last edited by Jacko95: 03-15-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
2 Weekes Notice

It would seem Tampa's really just biding time for one of their kids (Lindback, top prospect Vasilevskiy, young KHL stud Jaroslav Janus) to get it all together, so while I could see them pursuing a more steady goalie, I think you'd be more likely to see a 1-2 year stopgap to push Lindback than someone established and pricy or another young tender with #1 upside.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
kasper11

I think they made a mistake in handing the job to an unproven goalie.

That said, the defense is really bad. It isn't just the number of shots, but he seems to face a lot of shots from right in front of the net. I think the defense needs to be improved first, then worry about the goaltending.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Tampa Bay has the 8th best goal differential in the league (+7, only non playoff team thats positive)

27th in the league for goals against

2nd in the league for goals for

Lindbacks save % is .899 (.902 ev strength).

Should Stevie Y be addressing his goaltending, and make a push for the playoffs?
Should he wait until the offseason to address goaltending?
Should he stick with Lindback and see if he can pan out?
This right here is how you can tell people haven't watched bolts games, no disrespect to OP. The team is a mess right now, not the goaltending. Lindback in his last two starts has been especially sharp.
Quote:
I think the defense in Tampa is equally as atrocious. Too many aging vets where the game is passing them by.

Tampa should target Luongo.
Tread feels like its wearing thin on Eric Brewer, but Salo hasn't really lost a step. Luongo isn't happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
TB refused Luongo on philosophical grounds. Thier team model does not have room for a thirty four year old goalie with a ten year contract.
Not to mention they have a boat anchor in Lecavalier already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Something around this work?

Jonathan Bernier
Alec Martinez
Brad Richardson

Teddy Purcell
Mathieu Garon
2nd - 4th round pick'14
Thats... thats actually not bad at all. Bravo. I'd look long and hard at that and probably pull the trigger.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:44 AM
HoseEmDown

Guys don't you know we HAVE to make the playoffs, so let's give up whatever it takes to do that. If we don't make the playoffs how are we gonna survive financially, might as well just fold the team. Stamkos is an alright C and Hedman an average D but what we really need is an old goaltender, maybe a package of the 2 can get us one.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote