HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
That expectation should have been abandoned once he hit the lady with the water bottle.
yea that's exactly what happened. if they reinstate the draft i hope you guys aren't in my unit.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
yea that's exactly what happened. if they reinstate the draft i hope you guys aren't in my unit.
Don't sweat it, I'm Canadian .

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
So you'll have a place to stay for this border hopper?

Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
He is professional, yet sometimes he loses his composure after his team displays a lack of professionalism and attempts to mail in a performance, as if the coach would not be aware?
Heat of the moment. You're kidding yourself if you don't think behavior like this exists in all manner of business and industry in the above context.

He was not directing his anger towards Sam, but towards the team. If you or others can't see that, it's on youse i guess?
Oh I get that. I don't think it's an excuse though.

Tort's job will be kept or lost based on the on-ice performance of the team. Just as some of us here need to remember that's the ultimate judgment on a coach, he needs to remember that being an ******* to the media doesn't lead his team to win games.

It's not that important to me either way. Just good discussion fodder.

Quote:
Lighten up, Francis. This is professional sports, not war.

It's just pain.
Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
NikC

Quote:
lol. maybe it's best we stop now.

i've been to canada. very nice clean place.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
So you'll have a place to stay for this border hopper?
Sure thing. Have an empty bedroom and everything. Painted Ranger Blue.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh I get that. I don't think it's an excuse though.

Tort's job will be kept or lost based on the on-ice performance of the team. Just as some of us here need to remember that's the ultimate judgment on a coach, he needs to remember that being an ******* to the media doesn't lead his team to win games.

It's not that important to me either way. Just good discussion fodder.

Lighten up, Francis. This is professional sports, not war.

this is everyday war bro.

I'll say this, John Tortorella is man of character and principle. This is not an act with him. He's not going out of his way to be mean spirited and abusive, he's a passionate, emotional hockey coach. He cares a great deal about winning and takes losing very personal. I'd rather have coach like this with imperfections than a PC robot that everyone loves.

I'm speaking strictly regarding his personality here, not his actually coaching abilities or techniques.

Last edited by NikC: 03-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

I'll say this, John Tortorella is man of character and principle. This is not an act with him. He's not going out of his way to be mean spirited and abusive, he's a passionate, emotional hockey coach. He cares a great deal about winning and takes losing very personal. I'd rather have coach like this with imperfections than a PC robot that everyone loves.

I'm speaking strictly regarding his personality here, not his actually coaching abilities or techniques.
LOL I totally agree. Tortorella is not going out of his way to be mean spirited and abusive....he actually IS mean spirited and abusive!

Old
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL I totally agree. Tortorella is not going out of his way to be mean spirited and abusive....he actually IS mean spirited and abusive!
Yea, like how he stays in touch and attends functions for that Liam kid with the disability. What a jerk!

Some of you need to seperate the hockey life and the personal life. I'd like to see how you would react if the team just played a ****** game and the media was asking the same tired, mindless questions.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Yeah, all that charity work is a complex ruse. Players who come back to play for him do so only because they fear him so much.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yea, like how he stays in touch and attends functions for that Liam kid with the disability. What a jerk!

Some of you need to seperate the hockey life and the personal life. I'd like to see how you would react if the team just played a ****** game and the media was asking the same tired, mindless questions.
exactly. Torts is true blue. Heart on his sleeve guy. Not too many people can take it straight anymore.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
NikC

Quote:
hahaha " I agree with you" hhahahha

Another great post from ~ the jersey girl

" don't put words in her mouth"

Old
03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
usernamesteph

Quote:

I don't care about his personality...but I care that he discards playmakers, doesn't seem to recognize his power play doesn't work as conceived and employs a system that is only meant to get 3 goals on a Great night

Also seems to play mind games with the players, and I don't think he's on the same page as the gm

The second he's gone we will get better, I don't care who agrees now, but everyone will see soon enough

Old
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamesteph View Post
I don't care about his personality...but I care that he discards playmakers, doesn't seem to recognize his power play doesn't work as conceived and employs a system that is only meant to get 3 goals on a Great night

Also seems to play mind games with the players, and I don't think he's on the same page as the gm

The second he's gone we will get better, I don't care who agrees now, but everyone will see soon enough
Better than what? Midway through a lockout season with underperforming stars? Or better than the last full season he coached, which was the best for this franchise is a long, long time?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Kershaw

Fire Torts now! This offense is a disgrace.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The Jet fan's mocking torts is the best. They are true hockey fan and they realize what a AssH#le he is

Old
03-14-2013, 10:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

One great regular season and a CF berth doesnt make up for what's going on three average/underachieving regualr seasons.

Considering the talent he was given this season -- lockout or no lockout -- if the Rangers dont make the playoffs or get bounced in the 1st round as a lower seed, it's time for him to go.

The issue is who do you replace him with? Slim pickings out there.

I'm still not giving up on the season. There's plenty of hockey left. I think fans are just pissed that every year outside of 2006 and 2012, the Rangers always struggle to sneak into the playoffs.

Im glad I havent been watching the games. Sounds like not much has changed.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Lundsanity30

Were not winning anything with this guy no matter what our roster is don't see why people can't see this

Old
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
M0rbid

This game is a classic example.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

the reporters should just leave the recorders on chairs and walk out...

Old
03-14-2013, 10:39 PM
mandiblesofdoom

Rangers never possess the puck in Winnipeg's zone. Even if they get it for a second, they instantly toss it behind the goal where it becomes a 50/50 puck again. Ugly hockey.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:40 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I'm convinced that the people who religiously defend Torts don't actually watch the games at all.

I've never been on the fire him wagon but my god tonight was ****ing ugly

Old
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Broadway Brad

I don't understand how people defend Torts. His ****** system completely takes all great offensive chances away from the team. It's horrid.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
M(r)s Tortorella - I am waiting for you to appear now
Some people talking bad things about your beloved Johnny Boy here now
And that will not be tolerated
Time to step up and defend Big Daddy now - as always

Another instance of great Torts hockey tonight
Loved watching it played to perfection
Looking good my friends

Old
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Torts is an *******. Always has been, always will be. I agree that he ought to be more respectful of a Rangers institution like Sam.

I'm not on the "Fire Torts" bandwagon, if there is one yet. You guys all know I'm not a fan of his and never have been, but it's silly to want to get rid of a successful coach after 25 or so games of mediocrity.

I do worry though that his hard-assed, lets-beat-up-the-players style will wear thin with the players. They're grown men being paid a fortune to play the game and they don't need to be coddled, but we all know the reality of professional sports. I hope he doesn't lose the locker room.

After the past couple days, tonight's game should be telling about where this team is at with regards to the player/coach relationship.
Eh, I'd say the Rangers under Tortorella have been mediocre more than "successful". 3 full seasons, a 9th, 8th and then 1st place finish. Now in 9th place 26 games in. Frankly, last year's roster was very underrated, I don't think Torts' was the only coach that could have taken that team to a first place finish - especially with Lundqvist playing the way he was.

This year, it's a different team. We relied a lot on shot blocking last year, and we replaced four of our best shot blockers in Anisimov, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, and Prust with non-shot blockers like Pyatt, Nash, Asham, and Miller. Yet, despite that, Tortorella still runs a defensive system where the majority of its success hinges on blocking shots.

It has to change. I loved watching my team put their bodies on the line for the win, but it's not practical with this forward roster.

That being said, there's problems other than this that Torts must address as well, but I don't really feel like getting into those things until they're brought up. In short, Torts has been one of the problems this year, no doubt in my mind.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
Closed Thread