HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stone Recalled (Update: Recalled Dec 31)

Old
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusbolito View Post
Yeah, I think most Sens fans are anticipating that Stone will play for us one day, but some seem to differ on whether or not his development is best made in the AHL or the NHL.

I tend to fall on the side of believing young players should develop in the AHL (unless they're Karlsson-level talents) and calling them up when they're ready, or letting them earn spots in Training Camp. Stone's day will come, and we should get excited for it, but I think letting him work on his speed, and get a ton of icetime on a team which is VERY likely to make the postseason (16 games left, 15 points ahead of 9th) is preferable to letting him get 10 minutes a game on a team which might make the playoffs, but, since this is such a short season, anything can happen.

I can see why some might want him in Ottawa, working with Power and Schultz, and getting more used to the speed of the game, but with a player who needs as much improvement as he does, I think his speed will come more gradually than many folks are hoping, and I wouldn't object to him staying even a year more down in Bingo working on his speed and positioning.
It seems that almost every "highly touted" player has someone say this about them on this board. There is a farm team for a reason, it's there to develop your players. So far, I think it's been working out pretty damn good for you wouldn't you say? Use it.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think Stone being sent to Bingo has more to do with Kassian playing on Saturday than it has to do with how he played last night. There is only so much room on the roster & it's important that young guys play & get their experience from the appropriate place & for him right now that's Bingo. He's still young & has much to learn but I love his size, his playmaking ability & his hockey IQ.

There is always the chance that he gets called up again this season but if he doesn't he will work harder over the summer knowing what he has learned up here this time to make that decision even harder next time. I would guess that he will definately be in the top six in Bingo next yr & get some PP time. This yr he spent most of the yr on the 3rd line with Grant & learned to play a more defensive role which is great for his development. He is learning to be more of a two way player which is great.
Probably had as much to do with Lundin and Dizzy being ready to play or very close at least.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
BK201

Good move he'll get loads of icetime to get better and be hungrier next time.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
newerabegins

He's a late bloomer it'll take time for Stone.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I did not notice him much when he was up here so I think this is the right move

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I did not notice him much when he was up here so I think this is the right move
Someone give him some glasses. He wasn't flashy by any means but he wasn't unnoticeable either.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Larionov

Earlier in this thread, I expressed hope that Stone could make an impact, but last night made it clear that he isn't ready yet. It's tough right now - all our games are tight, and every shift matters. Mac just isn't in a position to let any player "find his way" out there for any length of time. Stone needs another summer of training, a full camp, and buckets of ice time in some pre-season games. For now, Bingo is the best place for him.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

To the people saying MacLean can't take a chance on Stone.. What about DZ, Grant, and Gryba? He's given them lots of chances to succeed. I remember their first game vs. Toronto, right on their first shift they get scored on.. They get put right back out there. Stone IMO is a much better player than Grant and DZ (although they play a different style). I thought Stone looked alright out there. Wasn't the fastest guy on the ice but he wasn't completely out of place either. Some of you guys are saying he shouldn't be taking dumb penalties... it was one penalty and it was crap.. An interference call that was a load of crap.

I just think Stone should have gotten at least 12 minutes of ice time. Give the guy a chance to get into the game and get a couple shots on net. You give the opportunity to Grant and Dz but not Mark Stone?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Stone will be back. He's being sent down for same reasons DaCosta was a couple weeks ago. Even though he was showing some good flashes, it's a development move. You KNOW these guys can be big players for your team for a long-time so you want them to get a feel for the game, hone their skills so they come back more hungrier and more polished.

You know how you always hear about players "He was rushed." Well, this is how to prevent it.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:17 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
To the people saying MacLean can't take a chance on Stone.. What about DZ, Grant, and Gryba? He's given them lots of chances to succeed. I remember their first game vs. Toronto, right on their first shift they get scored on.. They get put right back out there. Stone IMO is a much better player than Grant and DZ (although they play a different style). I thought Stone looked alright out there. Wasn't the fastest guy on the ice but he wasn't completely out of place either. Some of you guys are saying he shouldn't be taking dumb penalties... it was one penalty and it was crap.. An interference call that was a load of crap.

I just think Stone should have gotten at least 12 minutes of ice time. Give the guy a chance to get into the game and get a couple shots on net. You give the opportunity to Grant and Dz but not Mark Stone?
He had a few games with 10+ minutes and looked good imo. Last night in particular though we were killing a lot of penalties and he had to take a seat.

I look at it as management sees Stone as a bluechip prospect, and they aren't going to let him stay in Ottawa if he's getting that kind of ice time. He's not out of place here which is a big positive but there's certainly more he can learn down in the American league. Kassian is a much better candidate to ride the pine and just get 5 minutes of ice time regularly.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You know how you always hear about players "He was rushed." Well, this is how to prevent it.
This is the best / only thing that really needs to be said about Stone heading back to Bingo.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Montresor

Not only will he get more chances with the team, I think it was a good idea to send him down. They gotta give Luke Richardson something, haha.

Montresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
To the people saying MacLean can't take a chance on Stone.. What about DZ, Grant, and Gryba? He's given them lots of chances to succeed.

Those guys have all been pros for a few years as well - Stone has had one partial season made even more partial due to injuries and needs time in the A to get used to being a pro and playing at that level.

He hasn't been a stand-out in the A by any means and he was brought up after just coming back from an injury...let him go down and earn his time back.

There is no shame in a player transitioning to the NHL via the A...I mean come on, lots of players should be giving the luxury of honing skills in the minors.

At the very least he got a few games, a dose of reality and probably one very nice pay cheque for his troubles and now he can focus on making the play-offs and a good run for the championship.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
source

Mark Stone detained.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Mark Stone detained.

Lmao, that was amazing. Officers dealt with him nicely.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Mark Stone detained.

When will players learn, we pay them to play not to hear about politics

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Tremblay31

So its confirmed

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=698228

Tremblay31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

Mark Stone

SensChirp ‏@SensChirp 17m
Mark Stone Recalled from Binghamton - #Sens #BSens

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Cool

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

I really hope stoner, can make a lasting impression, he's gonna have to play in the top 6 to produce.

Mac - Tur - Ryan
Conacher - Zibby - Stone/Michalek
Greening - Smith/Pageau - Stone/Michalek
Kassian - Smith/Pageau - Condra

I think he should play with the two speedstars in Zibby and Conacher, and Michalek can provide scoring depth on the third line, All though i want to see Milo play with Pager real bad. Since Pageau can pass, while smith is more of a shooter.

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Just don't get injured.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

vCash: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Just don't get injured.
How about "just play well" or "play to make an impact"?

I would not be satisfied with "just dont get injured." Given his injury history, if he can't play hard and stay healthy, that's on him. Luck or not.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:29 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
I think Stone will land on the Pageau line and they will get more minutes out of the 4th line because of it.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:40 AM
N86eAL

Just give the guy a chance to play in the top 6, which I reckon will not be the case. I guess it could happen if michalek get demoted to the third line or something. Also, will be interesting to see what lines will be used when/if spezza gets back before next game.

He might end up with spezza while the zibby line gets demoted to third line, though I still would like to keep zibby as center with cony on his side.

N86eAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
benjiv1

Ideally I want to see this:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Michalek
Greening-Spezza-Stone
Pageau-Smith-Condra

Keep the two lines that work together, and try another winger for Spezza.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote