Notices

Wild Sign D Brett Clark for 1 Year, $900k

Old
03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I think it's obvious that Fletcher doesn't think that highly enough of Mara, Kampfer or Connolly at this point. Otherwise, he wouldn't have signed Clark. Why would that be an indication of having a "screw loose"?
From the perspective of both money, and some players on the Aeros may have the same attributes. As an example, that $900K could have been used towards a forward. Clark obviously has been available all season, yet CF signed Mara first.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Settle down people...At worst, this is a depth signing on defense. Outside of Suter and Gilbert, our blueline is fairly young and has no playoff experience. Doesn't hurt to add some veteran experience.

At best, this could be a precursor to something else going on.

Either way, this doesn't hurt. Not very FA signing needs to be a "sexy" one.
This.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
At the rate this team practices Clarks contract will run out before we see him play.
Thats a thought that crossed my mind as I read about todays "highly optional" practice.

I literally facepalmed when I read that. The powerplay is in shambles and you cant even get people on to the ice for a light skate where you practice at the very least positioning and passing? I'm not talking about some kind of intense scrimmage or a bag skate...just get on the ice and learn.

Or hell, watch the damn tape of last nights game and get to the bottom of why were a bunch of gutless pansies with no pride.

And I am still mystified at this signing.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Not really sure I understand why some people are hating this signing (and technically he's not even signed yet). The guy will provide depth on a young and inexperienced blue-line, and from what it sounds like, is a fairly decent puck mover too. I'd be more than happy to see someone more capable than Stoner on a pairing with BNTG.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Zanon 2.0?
Least he can skate, shoot, and just be an all around actual defenseman better then him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Yep. I'm sensing a trade pretty soon involving a defenseman and forward as package. Maybe Fletch saw how our defenseman were scared of shooting the puck last night, and decided to get some help.
I think Scandella might be the one out the door. Though I would like for the Wild to hang onto him and give him one more shot over a Prosser, but I believe what Russo was saying today, so we shall see.

I like and understand the move in general, good to have experience and never enough depth in the NHL on defense.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:54 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I don't get why people don't like the move either.

It doesn't really cost us much. He's a capable player in most situations, might even be able to fill out our second pairing, or provide that vet presence on the third.

It would be safe to assume Fletch is working on a trade of sorts. Prossessor and Falk are pretty similar, although I prefer Falk, we could trade one now in a package of some kind.

The guy seems to be better than Falk, Prosser, Spurgeon, and Stoner overall. He doesn't seem like a bad pickup.

Plus, if we do make it into the playoffs, it will be extra helpful to have a little more of an experienced blueline. We have too many younguns back there for when it gets really hairy.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

An interesting move by GMCF. I see it as a depth signing and nothing more, however I smell a trade coming. I don't know who though. Maybe PMB, but if it's him I think he's bundled with someone else and a pick for a good return.

I'll trust GMCF with the move. It's not like it's big money or a long term risk so I'm just meh about Clark.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Good signing I like it, gives up depth and another top 4 D.
Brett Clark is long removed from being a top 4 guy, if he ever was. Bottom pairing is where he belongs. He's a slow skater and doesn't do much offensively but he will bend over backwards to block shots.

When the Avs didn't sign him a few years back I'd say he was still a decent bottom pairing guy, needless to say it has been a few years since I've seen him play.

Edit: He does have a slapper from the point, but he'll only hit the net a handful of times.

Last edited by Razor29: 03-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Fin9*

yeyy

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:41 AM
nickschultzfan

Ugh. This seems like a classic GM "we need more vets for the playoffs" move. That move almost never works out these days. Sorry Fletcher, Clark is worthless.

I mean, I guess this is more a statement towards the Houston blueline. Scandella has been injured all year and the rest aren't NHL material. So, Fletcher is probably worried about 2 injuries on the blueline leaving the Wild with only 5 NHL Dmen. So having some vet in the pressbox isn't the worst idea.

Still, I hate the "vet" justification, because it's always just a cover for something else.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Ugh. This seems like a classic GM "we need more vets for the playoffs" move. That move almost never works out these days. Sorry Fletcher, Clark is worthless.

I mean, I guess this is more a statement towards the Houston blueline. Scandella has been injured all year and the rest aren't NHL material. So, Fletcher is probably worried about 2 injuries on the blueline leaving the Wild with only 5 NHL Dmen. So having some vet in the pressbox isn't the worst idea.

Still, I hate the "vet" justification, because it's always just a cover for something else.
He's been great in the AHL, and while he is on the slower side, he would accompany someone like Gilbert or Spurgeon perfectly. They need the Nick Schultz-replacement guy back there, and he could be it for this shortened season.

As I said earlier, I'll reserve the criticism until I see him play. If he's useless, then he's useless, but as far as I can see, if he's a better puck mover than Stoner (and he should be), we've made a good move.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:40 PM
HDZx

vCash: 50
Good signing. This guy can block shots, provides depth and a veteran presence on our defense.

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Brett Hull? No.
Wendel Clark? No.
Brett Clark. 'mmkay.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not that big of a deal. Essentially it's moving Genoway, who had no future here, for a player who MIGHT be able to help us out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Mumbler*

Rupp was this kind of move also. maybe it will work out just as well?

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
bottompairingdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I don't get why people don't like the move either.

It doesn't really cost us much. He's a capable player in most situations, might even be able to fill out our second pairing, or provide that vet presence on the third.

It would be safe to assume Fletch is working on a trade of sorts. Prossessor and Falk are pretty similar, although I prefer Falk, we could trade one now in a package of some kind.

The guy seems to be better than Falk, Prosser, Spurgeon, and Stoner overall. He doesn't seem like a bad pickup.

Plus, if we do make it into the playoffs, it will be extra helpful to have a little more of an experienced blueline. We have too many younguns back there for when it gets really hairy.
Definitely seems like Fletch is working on a trade. I also agree that it's likely Falk or Prosser going.

Nothing wrong with this signing imo, I don't get the criticism. An experienced addition to our relatively young blueline, should help our sometimes awful transitioning game, has a nice shot and is a shot-blocking machine. From what I've read he's been pretty good in OKC too.

No one's expecting him to be some an awesome top 4 -addition who logs tons of minutes (or no one should expect that, at least). If he can be a steady bottom-pairing performer and provide us with some blueline depth then I'm happy. It's not like he's tied to an awful cap hit for multiple years, this is pretty much a zero risk move. If we keep our expectations in check I'm fairly certain we'll be happy with his addition.

bottompairingdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

#5.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

#5.
He kind of looks like a less battered version of Konopka there.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
pbunder

I guess i'd like to go on the record saying that I hope falk stays. Like him this year. definitely better than pross. We'll see what happens.

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:

#5.
God that picture reminds me of another former Wild player but I can't think who.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
#5...

He's the new Zanon or Kim Johnsson.

EDIT: Or Brad Bombardir.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Generic User
How's your burger?

Quote:

#5.
He looks like someone post-Kai's Power Goo.

(You old pre-Windows 98 folks will get this)

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Haite
x

Strange, I on the other hand think he looks like an actor who's name I can't think of.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Liam Neeson?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Uberdachen
Posts Last 5 Minutes

A watermelon wearing a Mark Ruffalo mask?

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote