HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options at this point?

Old
03-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Vokoun? Holy ****... even with the Pens... my god. Weirdly enough, considering what I've seen from Vokoun this season, it would of been better to just stay with Leighton's 900K instead of his 2M. Vokoun is just so ****ing atrocious.
Vokoun would be a backup, and still much better than Leighton. And last year, when he would have been expected to take over Boosh's role, he put up respectable numbers on a complete mess of a team.

Edit: And for what it's worth, he's matching Bryz's save percentage for less than half the cap hit. So again, I fail to see why you think that's so horrific.

03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Did you watch the game when he played the Flyers and lost 6-5? My god. So many horrendous plays by Vokoun that led to goals. I'm sure that you'd shoot Bryz yourself if you saw Bryz give up the goal that Vokoun gave up to give Voracek the hat trick.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Did you watch the game when he played the Flyers and lost 6-5? My god. So many horrendous plays by Vokoun that led to goals. I'm sure that you'd shoot Bryz yourself if you saw Bryz give up the goal that Vokoun gave up to give Voracek the hat trick.
Right, because any Flyers-Pens game is a great way to judge any goaltender.

Bryz gives up weak goals often and remains unshot, so nice try with the dramatics.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Right, because any Flyers-Pens game is a great way to judge any goaltender.

Bryz gives up weak goals often and remains unshot, so nice try with the dramatics.
Has Bryz, all season, given up that goal that Vokoun gave up there (and didn't deflect off of another player)?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
FlyingPhilly

Bryz gave up an unscreened shot from the blueline against the Senators. That was a weak one to allow.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Has Bryz, all season, given up that goal that Vokoun gave up there (and didn't deflect off of another player)?
That identical goal? You're asking me if that identical situation evolved and unfolded in a game where nearly infinite possibilities occur?

Thankfully, no, this season he hasn't done that. He did it constantly last season though. This year he just happens to let everything slide right under his pad, which isn't exactly better.

Are you trying to say Bryz is better than a goalie with nearly identical save percentage, playing in a real backup role with intermittent starts for the first time in his career, while carrying over twice the cap hit? Because when it comes to on ice play, they're damned close. When you factor contract in, it's no longer close as to who I'd prefer.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Bryz gave up an unscreened shot from the blueline against the Senators. That was a weak one to allow.
Weaker than leaving the post while a player is in the corner, and just lets it bank off of you and in? I'm sure Chara could even score from the blueline without a screen.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Weaker than leaving the post while a player is in the corner, and just lets it bank off of you and in? I'm sure Chara could even score from the blueline without a screen.
Chara? You choose the guy with the hardest slapshot in the NHL as your example?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Chara? You choose the guy with the hardest slapshot in the NHL as your example?
Weber. Ovy. Souray. Two guys, if they got it on net, Foster and Kubina had some crazy slap shots too.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
To be fair Vokoun didn't have a clear view of where the puck was, only knew it was somewhere behind him. Bryz at least had a clear line of sight of the puck and the shooter. That shot didn't even get deflected.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Weber. Ovy. Souray.
You continue to choose guys with hard shots to say "Even THESE guys could score?"

Old
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
You continue to choose guys with hard shots to say "Even THESE guys could score?"
I'm saying that they could score from the blueline. Also, are you judging Bryz because he let in that one goal, yet we still won? It was probably the last really good game I remember him playing and that one gets chosen out...

I'll be sure to find Esche's number and let him know you want him back on the Flyers for you Beef.

[mod]

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-14-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Nope.
Old
03-14-2013, 09:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

My favorite Bryz softy was when he assisted on Clarkson's goal last year in the playoffs.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I'm saying that they could score from the blueline. Also, are you judging Bryz because he let in that one goal, yet we still won?
Dude, of course they can score from the blueline. They've Weber, Chara, and Ovechkin. They have really hard shots. Choosing the guys known for having great shots and saying "even these guys could score from the blueline" does nothing to redeem him.

As for judging Bryzgalov for letting in a bad goal, the end result doesn't matter. What matters is he's let in a pandemic of crappy goals for over a month now, which is flat out unacceptable. Thankfully the team was able to overcome it that time. How often have they been unable to overcome it?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
I'm saying that they could score from the blueline. Also, are you judging Bryz because he let in that one goal, yet we still won? It was probably the last really good game I remember him playing and that one gets chosen out...

I'll be sure to find Esche's number and let him know you want him back on the Flyers for you Beef.
Just because we won that game does not mean that goal wasn't bad to give up. It was still a bad goal, no other way about it. Plus imagine that goal occurred if the game was tied or in OT. That would have been game right there. A lot of people would be complaining about it then, but since we won they don't care. Yes, winning allows us to sweep weak goals, mistakes, and bad defense under the rug and say "who cares? we won!"

Old
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

Esche? Why do I want Esche? Is it strawman time now?

At least debate things I actually said, instead of fabricating crap.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Dude, of course they can score from the blueline. They've Weber, Chara, and Ovechkin. They have really hard shots. Choosing the guys known for having great shots and saying "even these guys could score from the blueline" does nothing to redeem him.

As for judging Bryzgalov for letting in a bad goal, the end result doesn't matter. What matters is he's let in a pandemic of crappy goals for over a month now, which is flat out unacceptable. Thankfully the team was able to overcome it that time. How often have they been unable to overcome it?
Well they can't. ****, when was the last time they could beat the Devils that wasn't luck? Considering how we can't score, can't get through trap teams, and move the puck consistently well, we won't win. Period. Getting rid of Bryz will probably still put us in more of a hole. The only viable guy we could sign is Backstrom, and guess what? He's a UFA and isn't guaranteed to sign here. Howard is going to re-sign soon with Detroit. And that leaves us with some really ****** options.

Quote:
Esche? Why do I want Esche? Is it strawman time now?

At least debate things I actually said, instead of fabricating crap.
Because it seems like you want anyone but Bryz. So I threw a suggestion out there for you.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Well they can't. ****, when was the last time they could beat the Devils that wasn't luck? Considering how we can't score, can't get through trap teams, and move the puck consistently well, we won't win. Period. Getting rid of Bryz will probably still put us in more of a hole. The only viable guy we could sign is Backstrom, and guess what? He's a UFA and isn't guaranteed to sign here. Howard is going to re-sign soon with Detroit. And that leaves us with some really ****** options.

Because it seems like you want anyone but Bryz. So I threw a suggestion out there for you.
I don't want "anyone" but Bryz; though at this point the majority of goalies are indeed better. Stop with strawmen. I've been saying since the amnesty procedures were announced that we should hold on to Bryz until the second offseason. For the long term good of the team, they're better off sucking it up for a season if they have to just to avoid sucking it up for who knows how many more seasons. It's not like every goalie pulls a Tim Thomas and goes on a rampage when they're old. Most start biting it between 34-36, and Bryz is signed well beyond that. So yeah, at some point it's much better to buy the guy out and go another direction.

As for beating the Devils, the forwards would generally have to score 5-6 goals to overcome Bryzgalov.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Jeesh Nabakov even has slightly better stats than Bryz.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I don't want "anyone" but Bryz; though at this point the majority of goalies are indeed better. Stop with strawmen. I've been saying since the amnesty procedures were announced that we should hold on to Bryz until the second offseason. For the long term good of the team, they're better off sucking it up for a season if they have to just to avoid sucking it up for who knows how many more seasons. It's not like every goalie pulls a Tim Thomas and goes on a rampage when they're old. Most start biting it between 34-36, and Bryz is signed well beyond that. So yeah, at some point it's much better to buy the guy out and go another direction.

As for beating the Devils, the forwards would generally have to score 5-6 goals to overcome Bryzgalov.
Yet they somehow made Hedberg look like a top 10 goalie.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
So? They still would have needed 6 goals to win.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Seriously now, let's not act as if Hedberg is a bad goalie. He might've been bad in his starts this year, but in general he's one of the premier back-ups in my opinion.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
So? They still would have needed 6 goals to win.
That doesn't excuse the rest of the team for not playing better. Pens overcome the constant deficits from Vokoun and Fluery ******** the bed, because their offense at least turns it up, even when their goalies and defensemen suck. Flyers, if they were competent, they can do the same, but nope. They flubbed so much of the game last night. Even if it was 5-2 final, if they really figured out the trap system, it could of at least been a tie game and go to OT.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Seriously now, let's not act as if Hedberg is a bad goalie. He might've been bad in his starts this year, but in general he's one of the premier back-ups in my opinion.
Honestly, for back-ups, Emery and Hiller/Fasth (whichever one is the back up) are way better back ups. I trust Biron as a back up more than Hedberg. I'm a fan of Bachmann as well.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Goalie Suits Up For First NHL Game Five Years After Retiring

I FOUND HIM! ZACH SIKICH!

More realistic than Leighton's career

Quote:
Zach Sikich last played hockey in 2007-08 and never played in the NHL. But according to Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, when the Anaheim Ducks found themselves a goalie short in Minnesota, the asked Sikich to suit for what amounted to a five minute NHL career.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/goali...#ixzz2NZWUDYEl

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote