HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We will lose the draft lottery and the team who jumps us will take MacKinnon. I guarantee it.
We won't finish last anyway. It's a nice dream though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
We need size this has to be a consideration. Which of those top 5 draft picks is biggest outside jones.
Aleksander Barkov and then Sean Monahan. Size should be a consideration, but there should be a lot of other considerations as well.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
We need size this has to be a consideration. Which of those top 5 draft picks is biggest outside jones.
It's a factor, but not a main factor to me.

I want MacKinnon, he's gonna be a great NHL player. Perfect combination with Huberdeau.

Nichushkin is interesting, but wouldnt take him top5.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Pantherfan12

Can anyone tell me who these players are comparable too??? Is any of them going to be a Crosby,Maklin,Ovy,Kane, Toews type of player? Is any of them going to have that kind of impact on our club (assuming we get one)

Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Can anyone tell me who these players are comparable too??? Is any of them going to be a Crosby,Maklin,Ovy,Kane, Toews type of player? Is any of them going to have that kind of impact on our club (assuming we get one)
Quite a range from Crosby to Toews, but no, there's no Crosby-like generational talent in this draft. It's a draft deep in premier talent though and it will be one of the best top 10's in quite a long time. For comparison's sake:

Seth Jones- Shea Weber
Nathan MacKinnon- Stamkos lite
Jonathan Drouin- Pat Kane lite
Aleksander Barkov- Mikko Koivu
Sean Monahan- Toews lite
Elias Lindholm- Spezza
Darnell Nurse- Seabrook
Hunter Shinkaruk- Cory Conacher
Valery Nichushkin- Van Riemsdyk
Rasmus Ristolainen- Timmonen
Frederik Gauthier- Couturier
Adam Erne- James Neal

Old
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
We will lose the draft lottery and the team who jumps us will take MacKinnon. I guarantee it.
Unless that team is the Oilers. There's no way they take another forward.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
It's a factor, but not a main factor to me.

I want MacKinnon, he's gonna be a great NHL player. Perfect combination with Huberdeau.

Nichushkin is interesting, but wouldnt take him top5.
He's going to be another Russian who drops and ends up at the top of the Future watch, ahead of guys who were drafted before him. This is another Taresenko, Kuznetsov, etc. There is some risk but it's overblown, imo.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:57 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Unless that team is the Oilers. There's no way they take another forward.
I agree. Odds are we are not getting MacKinnon.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
He's going to be another Russian who drops and ends up at the top of the Future watch, ahead of guys who were drafted before him. This is another Taresenko, Kuznetsov, etc. There is some risk but it's overblown, imo.
But is the risk worth it when there are several other prospects in this draft with similar potential who don't have any risk? That's why he won't go top 5. I don't think he's going to be as good as Tarasenko either. Kuznetsov, who knows, we'll see how he does in the NHL when he comes over. Nichushkin is probably better suited to the NHL style of play, but Kuznetsov is more skilled.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree. Odds are we are not getting MacKinnon.
Well, you never know. Right now MacKinnon is 3rd in ISS Draft Rankings, just ahead of Drouin. Even if we don't finish dead last and still have a top 5 pick, we could still have a shot depending on if the other teams go by the rankings.

I'd personally be happy with either MacKinnon or Drouin. It's a decent chance we could end up with one of them.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Quite a range from Crosby to Toews, but no, there's no Crosby-like generational talent in this draft. It's a draft deep in premier talent though and it will be one of the best top 10's in quite a long time. For comparison's sake:

Seth Jones- Shea Weber
Nathan MacKinnon- Stamkos lite
Jonathan Drouin- Pat Kane lite
Aleksander Barkov- Mikko Koivu
Sean Monahan- Toews lite
Elias Lindholm- Spezza
Darnell Nurse- Seabrook
Hunter Shinkaruk- Cory Conacher
Valery Nichushkin- Van Riemsdyk
Rasmus Ristolainen- Timmonen
Frederik Gauthier- Couturier
Adam Erne- James Neal
I think the draft is tiered in a similar way to 2006, but find comparisons to current players somewhat redundant.

Wennberg should be mentioned, as should Zadarov. These two players are certainly mixed with the guys above.

I still think this draft has a Top 6 and then the wildcard in terms of talent. Nichushkin is a clear candidate to fall, however he's having a brilliant finish to his year. Dominant at an U-18 tournament and now producing well in the KHL. He's by far the hardest player to peg in this draft. He has the best physical package in this draft, but questions over hockey sense and his nationality loom large. I wouldn't consider taking him above the Top 6, who i all i see as impact players who are also somewhat safe. After 6, assuming due diligence is done, i'd seriously consider Nichushkin. Waiting 2-3 years doesn't bother me either (Infact, not drafting him because of his contract in Russia is stupid, you're looking at having a player for 15-20 years, so 2 years of good development elsewhere is a concern why?).

Nichushkin isn't the same level of prospect that Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are however IMO. Kuznetsov is IMO the best prospect outside the NHL. His skillset is almost unique. Kuznetsov is a better prospect than Tarasenko, it's just funny how the hype has worked out. I think Tarasenko will be a PPG winger no doubt, but Kuznetsov has truely top end potential.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I think the draft is tiered in a similar way to 2006, but find comparisons to current players somewhat redundant.

Wennberg should be mentioned, as should Zadarov. These two players are certainly mixed with the guys above.

I still think this draft has a Top 6 and then the wildcard in terms of talent. Nichushkin is a clear candidate to fall, however he's having a brilliant finish to his year. Dominant at an U-18 tournament and now producing well in the KHL. He's by far the hardest player to peg in this draft. He has the best physical package in this draft, but questions over hockey sense and his nationality loom large. I wouldn't consider taking him above the Top 6, who i all i see as impact players who are also somewhat safe. After 6, assuming due diligence is done, i'd seriously consider Nichushkin. Waiting 2-3 years doesn't bother me either (Infact, not drafting him because of his contract in Russia is stupid, you're looking at having a player for 15-20 years, so 2 years of good development elsewhere is a concern why?).

Nichushkin isn't the same level of prospect that Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are however IMO. Kuznetsov is IMO the best prospect outside the NHL. His skillset is almost unique. Kuznetsov is a better prospect than Tarasenko, it's just funny how the hype has worked out. I think Tarasenko will be a PPG winger no doubt, but Kuznetsov has truely top end potential.
I forgot Zadorov. I guess Wennberg is in that mix as well.

I don't think waiting at least 2 years for Nichushkin is the problem, but it's just the fact that he chose to sign a 3 year extension in the KHL in his draft year. That displays that he's not interested in coming to the NHL anytime soon. It's just another thing to scare a team off. I'm not trying to overblow it, but it's a factor. It doesn't mean that he's not interested in the NHL, it just leaves doubt is all. But hopefully the teams that are interested in him would get some answers before the draft. From a fan's perspective though, Russian players from overseas always worry one a little.

It's hard to imagine Kuznetsov being better than Tarasenko, but we'll see. I would state that he has more pure skill than Tarasenko, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a better NHL player. He'll definitely be one to watch when he does come over though, especially possibly playing with Backstrom.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Howboutthempanthers

Quote:

I don't think waiting at least 2 years for Nichushkin is the problem, but it's just the fact that he chose to sign a 3 year extension in the KHL in his draft year. That displays that he's not interested in coming to the NHL anytime soon. It's just another thing to scare a team off. I'm not trying to overblow it, but it's a factor. It doesn't mean that he's not interested in the NHL, it just leaves doubt is all. But hopefully the teams that are interested in him would get some answers before the draft. From a fan's perspective though, Russian players from overseas always worry one a little.

It's hard to imagine Kuznetsov being better than Tarasenko, but we'll see. I would state that he has more pure skill than Tarasenko, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a better NHL player. He'll definitely be one to watch when he does come over though, especially possibly playing with Backstrom.
Yeah, I think if Washington was picking top five maybe he would get picked by them. But a GM like Tallon... not likely.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

really would love to see MacKinnon on our team next to Huber! just watched that youtube clip and pretended they were wearing Panther sweaters.

Anyone know when the draft lottery is?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

Anyone know when the draft lottery is?
Apr. 27: Last day of regular season
Apr. 29: NHL Draft Lottery
Apr. 30: Stanley Cup Playoffs begin
June 30: NHL Draft in Newark, NJ

Old
03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post
Apr. 27: Last day of regular season
Apr. 29: NHL Draft Lottery
Apr. 30: Stanley Cup Playoffs begin
June 30: NHL Draft in Newark, NJ
thanks! Got it circled on the calender!

Old
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

I fail to see how it signals his disinterest in the NHL. Your career last pasts 21 you know. If a player wants to develop at home, then let him. His contract status without further information hardly concerns me.

Kuznetsov is an awesome talent. Skating, puck skills, vision, good frame. His total package/abilities are higher than Tarasenko. The compete level, or rather inconsistencies might be an issue, and of course we wait and see upon his NHL arrival, but dat package ...

Old
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I fail to see how it signals his disinterest in the NHL. Your career last pasts 21 you know. If a player wants to develop at home, then let him. His contract status without further information hardly concerns me.

Kuznetsov is an awesome talent. Skating, puck skills, vision, good frame. His total package/abilities are higher than Tarasenko. The compete level, or rather inconsistencies might be an issue, and of course we wait and see upon his NHL arrival, but dat package ...
It's just another small seed of doubt. He signs a 3 year extension, when he's seen as close to NHL ready. Again, I'm not trying to overblow it, but it's a slight concern.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

At this point, we're dead last.

Assuming we get to pick between MacKinnon and Drouin..

Which prospect will make a bigger impact on DT's blueprint (on our current roster as well as the future roster in 1-2 years)?

MAC or DROUIN.

And why..

Old
03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
At this point, we're dead last.

Assuming we get to pick between MacKinnon and Drouin..

Which prospect will make a bigger impact on DT's blueprint (on our current roster as well as the future roster in 1-2 years)?

MAC or DROUIN.

And why..
Mac, easily. He's more of a sure thing and he can finish. He's a perfect compliment to Hubs.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

MacKinnon returned to action night and scored 35 seconds into his first game back from injury.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
FadeToBlack

Do you guys really think that your team will pass on S. Jones at #1 overall in favor of Mac or Drouin? I mean, as a Flyers fan, I am not complaining, but wouldn't it be better asset management to take Jones and flip him for a kings ransom?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
Do you guys really think that your team will pass on S. Jones at #1 overall in favor of Mac or Drouin? I mean, as a Flyers fan, I am not complaining, but wouldn't it be better asset management to take Jones and flip him for a kings ransom?
A kings ransom better than Mackinnon?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Starting to get some separation from the others now.

-ghoste

Old
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM
FadeToBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
A kings ransom better than Mackinnon?
For a guy that has all the markings of a franchise D-man? Yeah. Mac is good, but I personally place him behind Drouin and would take Jones over both. Much tougher to find a franchise D than a franchise C or W, and hence, they will return more in a trade.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
For a guy that has all the markings of a franchise D-man? Yeah. Mac is good, but I personally place him behind Drouin and would take Jones over both. Much tougher to find a franchise D than a franchise C or W, and hence, they will return more in a trade.
Said that about Jay Bouwmeester, Erik Johnson, Victor Hedman..

We'll bury ourselves in obscurity again if we pass up a talented offensive prospect like Mac or Drouin.

Bottom line.

Last edited by Don Tibbles: 03-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread