Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
03-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Looking forward to officially hating you all now. Should be good too because of thrashers fans being close to our city who either hate you all too or followed.
I really think all of these teams will mess well in a division. Nashville, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota are all kind of "outcast" mid market teams nobody talks much about...we can forge our own identity as a competitive division that hates each, but certainly has an identity.

My problem is that I actually am a big fan of NSH and CHI, and rather like MIN and STL...gonna be hard to start hating those teams now

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
SubparSoup

Goodbye Hockey Night in Canada. It was good while we had you. With the format do we just play a home and home with the other Canadian teams?

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
StronGeer
Hopeful Fleecer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
Goodbye Hockey Night in Canada. It was good while we had you. With the format do we just play a home and home with the other Canadian teams?
Yes, until Saskatoon gets a team

Actually we will play CAL, EDM and VAN 3 times each IIRC. Eastern teams will be a home and home.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
It would be absolutely wonderful if we don't play on CBC anymore with their "D" broadcasting team in SD and the ****** ass start times

We play OTT, MTL, TOR twice per year (home and home with each). We play VAN, CGY, EDM 3 times per year, with it rotating 2 home and 1 away versus each.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Yes, until Saskatoon gets a team

Actually we will play CAL, EDM and VAN 3 times each IIRC. Eastern teams will be a home and home.
So 15 of 82 games against Canadian teams? 8 of them in Winnipeg at best? Pretty brutal. I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about St. Louis, Dallas etc.. We have the weakest/least exciting division IMO

Old
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I really think all of these teams will mess well in a division. Nashville, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota are all kind of "outcast" mid market teams nobody talks much about...we can forge our own identity as a competitive division that hates each, but certainly has an identity.

My problem is that I actually am a big fan of NSH and CHI, and rather like MIN and STL...gonna be hard to start hating those teams now
As a fan from outside NA and always having cheered for an eastern team, I kinda feel similar.

I kind of like NSH, MIN, COL, STL and CHI Why shouldn't I?

And have nothing against DAL, even though Texas seems like a place I wouldn't like much.

I hope the "bad"-feelings will come when we play them

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Looking forward to officially hating you all now. Should be good too because of thrashers fans being close to our city who either hate you all too or followed.
I hated you before! Since you cheated the Bills out of a Superbowl appearance!

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
So 15 of 82 games against Canadian teams? 8 of them in Winnipeg at best? Pretty brutal. I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about St. Louis, Dallas etc.. We have the weakest/least exciting division IMO
Why the hangup on seeing Canadian teams?
In general they are pretty lousy hockey teams.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
The other Canadian teams only play a couple more games against Canadian teams, so we're barely any different. The most games any Canadian team could play against other Canadian teams in a season is 19 in the west or 18 in the east. The Jets will always play 15.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Having lived in Calgary for several years, I will offer that fewer games against Canadian teams will make them more special. You'll have better memories. The Flames/Oilers rivalry has all but died now that they've played each other 5 times before the season is 2 months old (preseason).

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The other Canadian teams only play a couple more games against Canadian teams, so we're barely any different. The most games any Canadian team could play against other Canadian teams in a season is 19 in the west or 18 in the east. The Jets will always play 15.
Regardless if several of the Canadian teams are bad now, long term you know there will be a commitment. Every single team in our division charges below the league average for ticket prices, 3 of them in the bottom 6. To me that says apathetic fan bases, in 10 years half our division might not be where they currently are.

Last edited by SubparSoup: 03-14-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Bad math
Old
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Amazing what happens to some people in two years. You can't get excited for NHL hockey in Winnipeg?

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
FBS

vCash: 138
Whatever issues exist with this plan are overshadowed by my excitement to see the Jets in Dallas. Woohoo!

Minnesota should be a good rivalry, as should Chicago if we can be competitive with them.

FBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:41 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Amazing what happens to some people in two years. You can't get excited for NHL hockey in Winnipeg?
It's more about watching them play in empty buildings year after year and forming no real rivalries with nonexistent fan bases.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Apparantly not. Refuses to pay to watch games in any way. Yay superfan!!! 80 dynamite passion filled posts!

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:50 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
It's more about watching them play in empty buildings year after year and forming no real rivalries with nonexistent fan bases.
Well, Minny and Chicago are going to be really good rivalries. Don't underrate Nashville and St. Louis fan bases. Colorado and Dallas had great crowds when their teams were winning. But two good potential rivalries ain't bad. And as others have said, conference battles and playoffs build rivalries just as well. Look at VAN-CHI.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Apparantly not. Refuses to pay to watch games in any way. Yay superfan!!! 80 dynamite passion filled posts!
What other fan base has to pay to watch their local team? It doesn't make me less of a fan to question the stupidity of that.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
I've been trying to follow some of the concerns making the move to the Western conference and I don't really get it. Everyone and their dog knew what the new alignment would be. It only makes sense to be grouped geographically with teams to form divisions. You can't expect us to play southeast teams forever. I for one look forward to being in a division with the Hawks and Minny. Who cares if it is a tough division, or you have biased impressions of their fans. You have to be the last team standing to get the cup so in the end it really doesn't matter much..

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Rook37

vCash: 190
Quote:
What other fan base has to pay to watch their local team? It doesn't make me less of a fan to question the stupidity of that.
I actually wondered about this. It seems weird to me that I can turn on the TV most days and watch some random NHL action but I can almost never just flip to a Jets game. I mean, I understand supply and demand but it does confuse me why it's so accepted. Is this common?

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
What fan base doesn't have to pay to watch it's local games?
SNet isn't free btw.

In one comment to point out that fans in other cities pay less than the average amount to watch their teams and in the next complain that you have to pay at all

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Regardless if several of the Canadian teams are bad now, long term you know there will be a commitment. Every single team in our division charges below the league average for ticket prices, 3 of them in the bottom 6. To me that says apathetic fan bases, in 10 years half our division might not be where they currently are.
This is just wrong.

Minnesota = great fans
Nashville = great fans
Chicago = great fans
St. Louis = rebuiling a great fan base after being awful for years and years
Colorado = multiple cup winner and up and coming, their fans will be there

I don't see the problem. I also find playing Canadian teams VASTLY overrated. I hate pretty much every Canadian team and their fans annoy the hell out of me.

I'd rather play in a division where East West travel doesn't kill our team.

Also, and this is JMO, but if you are too cheap to pay to watch the Jets, then I don't care if you are a fan. It's going to take all of our fans committing at least some dollars to keep this team viable.

03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook37 View Post
I actually wondered about this. It seems weird to me that I can turn on the TV most days and watch some random NHL action but I can almost never just flip to a Jets game. I mean, I understand supply and demand but it does confuse me why it's so accepted. Is this common?
That is just it. CBC and TSN will have so many games per week. So if all you care to watch is "random" games they show no need to pay extra. But if you want to watch every single game of a specific team "Jets" then you have to pay for that. No different than any other market.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
What fan base doesn't have to pay to watch it's local games?
SNet isn't free btw.

In one comment to point out that fans in other cities pay less than the average amount to watch their teams and in the next complain that you have to pay at all
SNET is an individual channel that happens to play the games, it's not a dedicated specialty channel. I also mentioned ticket prices, which has absolutely nothing to do with paying a premium for your local teams games.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
That is just it. CBC and TSN will have so many games per week. So if all you care to watch is "random" games they show no need to pay extra. But if you want to watch every single game of a specific team "Jets" then you have to pay for that. No different than any other market.
Not to watch your local teams home games. What other market has a specialty channel for home games? Are Jets games even available on Centre Ice?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
SNET is an individual channel that happens to play the games, it's not a dedicated specialty channel.
SNET is not part of a basic cable package. Maybe it was at one time, but not anymore, at least in Alberta and BC.

If you want it, you have to PAY seperately for it as part of a specialty package.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote