HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fire the coach, or make a massive trade?

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 10:01 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And what were their results that night?

<b>NOTHING</b>

Aren't you the same one complaining that the only way to dominate a team is to score goals?

Make up your mind.
THEY WON. In case you hadn't noticed, TEAM GAME. That line was a big part of the victory, because it wore out the Toronto defence, and got the play into the offensive zone, so the other lines could do damage.

You're really trying hard there DB.......Keep reaching.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 12-22-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old
12-22-2003, 10:04 AM
xauxi

We all know that Smyth has the Oilers in his blood. He has worked so hard games after games, season after season. Every time he got injured or his game sagged, he would picked up later on to keep up. He has never shown any sign of contemplate before. That is Smyth before, and look how different with Smyth now. Why? There must be something that bothered his performance? what? his linemates? his physical condition? his personal things? OR THE COACH? What can make him like such an outsider? You may have the answer. I have said long ago and I will said again, once the players lose their trust on their coach.....it is really, really hard to compensate. With Smyth's reaction is just like that, how are the others who have been with the Oilers recently? even worse, I think. The players do not seem to care much although we can say the effort from some indivisual, but NOT AS A TEAM. The mediocre team can make a big bang if they play like a TEAM. The high paid team will fail if they play as individuals (Minesota, New York Ranger as 2 examples for these 2 specific scenerios). We gradually have lost good players with MacT's reign (Comrie's is another example, now may be Smyth, who else will be next? may be Hemsky?).
Until KL and MacT having the same phylosophy, I guess.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Smyth

Do any of you remember the preseason game against Vancouver when Smyth was injured? Allen slashed Smyth and Smyth suffered a hairline fracture in his finger. It was the second game of the preseason and Smyth missed the remainder of the preseason. I'm not sure if that finger has healed yet or not. Nothing was ever said about it. Smyth also played the first 20 games at centre before returning to wing. I may be wrong but Smyth may be playing through an injury that hasn't been reported by the media.

12-22-2003, 10:23 AM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Do any of you remember the preseason game against Vancouver when Smyth was injured? Allen slashed Smyth and Smyth suffered a hairline fracture in his finger. It was the second game of the preseason and Smyth missed the remainder of the preseason. I'm not sure if that finger has healed yet or not. Nothing was ever said about it. Smyth also played the first 20 games at centre before returning to wing. I may be wrong but Smyth may be playing through an injury that hasn't been reported by the media.
There are many ways to judge a player: talent, passion, heart, and of course, luck. Can you see the drive of passion in Smyth now? He has played injured before, he may not fucntion as well as when he is healthy, but can you see he lack of his passion as he used to have? have you seen that and wondered why?

Old
12-22-2003, 10:44 AM
aki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
It's one thing to make a "high risk move" like trading for someone you HOPE will be good in 4 years, but the risk I'm talking about, is actually dealing for a PLAYER. That might actually help things.
Agree 100%. Dealing for a player who can actually help now - what a concept. Of course, if you say it on a prospects site, you're bound to be railroaded out of town.

That being said, it's completely ridiculous to think we would be able to trade the likes of Ferguson, Cross, Pisani, Horcoff, Chimera etc. for a useful player or early round draft pick. These sorts of players are a dime a dozen. Laraque or Isbister would probably bring more but of the players mentioned in this thread only Smith and Brewer could be expected to yield a decent return IMO. And even then, we hardly have an excess of solid D men to deal.

At this point I think it's pretty clear that the players aren't buying what MacT is selling, but I'd be surprised if Lowe puts the can to him. I'd also be surprised to see a major deal go down. IMO Lowe is going to stay the course and give MacT a lot of rope. Where that gets us, who knows. We are hardly out of contention at this point in time and with a few wins in a row and Oates settling in etc. we are right back in the thick of things.

Of course, it can just as easily keep going south.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:01 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
THEY WON. In case you hadn't noticed, TEAM GAME. That line was a big part of the victory, because it wore out the Toronto defence, and got the play into the offensive zone, so the other lines could do damage.

You're really trying hard there DB.......Keep reaching.
my bad,

I forgot the Oilers played Toronto again after the 4-1 loss.

Old
12-22-2003, 05:48 PM
TheChase

Quote:
Perfect example of how this team is mishandled, just another one from the pile:

Remember the game against Toronto where there was a line of Chimera-Stoll-Salmelainen? They gave the Leafs FITS all night and played a great game. Guess how many times they've been together since.............that's right...........NONE.

That's the way it works in MacTavish land.
Absolutely, thats one of MacT loops - they don't get any time together to build any sort of line chemistry so they don't score. They don't score, so they are juggled again. Sort of reminds me of the
" i can't get a job because I don't have experience, and I can't get
experience, because I can't get a job

Old
12-22-2003, 06:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
Absolutely, thats one of MacT loops - they don't get any time together to build any sort of line chemistry so they don't score. They don't score, so they are juggled again. Sort of reminds me of the
" i can't get a job because I don't have experience, and I can't get
experience, because I can't get a job
It's even worse than that it's things like

"I'll breakup a line that has a big part in winning against Toronto, but I won't take my 6th defenceman out because of all of the momentum from our tie against San Jose......."

and all the other countless examples.

Closed Thread