HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - The Expos

Old
07-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Stefan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemembertheViking View Post
The Expos could have survived...but... two words ; Jeffrey Loria
Another two words; fan support.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
What montreal should of done is built a small stadiuem a la fenway right by the fleuve st-laurent. Something that can hold urond 30 thousand people no more. Guaranty you that a nice looking ball park downtown would of won the hearts of many people in that city. Theres nothing better than to see a ball game,drinking a beer in a beautiful ball park under the blue sky in a hot summer day.

I sometimes wish that the jays would make a outdore stadieum along ontario lake. Being indoors takes away from the beauty of the game and that was a big reason why people from montreal dident go.

If I had the money I sure as hell would off built that stadieum.
Sadly Oli, the fix was in. Bud the godless ***** Selig had it worked out with his insider deal with Loria. Loria and MLB did everything they could at every turn to alienate the public and push them away so they could walk away clean. I hate Selig and what MLB has become with the vehemence I usually keep for stuff more important than sports.

I didn't miss it much last year. This year it's bothering me. Reading a book with a ballgame on the radio was a pleasant afternoon.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule View Post
Another two words; fan support.
Never that simple.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Never that simple.
No of course not, but if it's over-whelming, you can never push a team out. Not only that, the League doesn't want to.

Old
07-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Sadly Oli, the fix was in. Bud the godless ***** Selig had it worked out with his insider deal with Loria. Loria and MLB did everything they could at every turn to alienate the public and push them away so they could walk away clean. I hate Selig and what MLB has become with the vehemence I usually keep for stuff more important than sports.

I didn't miss it much last year. This year it's bothering me. Reading a book with a ballgame on the radio was a pleasant afternoon.
yeah, I was fine last season. I missed them, but not that much, since I kept following the hockey lockout stuff. This year, though... baseball is the only thing going on worth watching, and I can't go see a game

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 06:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
No of course not, but if it's over-whelming, you can never push a team out. Not only that, the League doesn't want to.
MLB is committed to being in cities wherein taxpayers can be bullied into building stadiums. That wouldn't happen in Mtl.

When Charles Bronfman decided he wanted out of baseball, Claude Brochu bought it with a solid Plan B in his pocket. Some people made big $ out of the fiasco. Montrealers are to be commended for recognizing what was going on and turning up their noses at a dirty business. You can't insult your market and threaten to leave and expect the market to have any regard for the brand.

The team needed local $. There were some locals willing, S.Bronfman was one of them, MLB made sure it wouldn't happen. I remeber his words when interviewed about it.

"It's bad enough losing the team, but to some goniff from NY..."

Old
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
MLB is committed to being in cities wherein taxpayers can be bullied into building stadiums. That wouldn't happen in Mtl.

When Charles Bronfman decided he wanted out of baseball, Claude Brochu bought it with a solid Plan B in his pocket. Some people made big $ out of the fiasco. Montrealers are to be commended for recognizing what was going on and turning up their noses at a dirty business. You can't insult your market and threaten to leave and expect the market to have any regard for the brand.

The team needed local $. There were some locals willing, S.Bronfman was one of them, MLB made sure it wouldn't happen. I remeber his words when interviewed about it.

"It's bad enough losing the team, but to some goniff from NY..."

What happend to labatt park or whatever? How come that didn't go through? Also it does hit harder a few years after team's leave.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Biggsy

It's to bad there is no team in MTL, they had alot of great players in there day could never keep them there though its sad

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 08:28 PM
tinyzombies

I hate baseball now, but used to know every last little statistic. In the early 80s it was magical when they were winning. The whole experience of going to Olympic Stadium, the smell of the hot dogs and popcorn in the air, coming out from the tunnel and seeing a big green field on a sunny day or the lights for a night game and 40,000 cheering (and LOUD!) fans, with the organist cranking out Valderi-Valdera, the PR guy announcing the lineups and the b&w pictures going up on that old school scoreboard. As kids, we'd go behind center field and get into the nooks and cranny of the stadium and hang out there during rain delays or if it was a boring game. You could get a bleacher ticket for $1 and then sneak over (sometimes). You could yell down insults at the visiting bullpen or sit in left field and hope to catch an Andre Dawson or Gary Carter homerun ball. The whole buildup getting to the stadium was great too. The subways and buses were packed and people were buzzing with excitement, especially during the penant races. For me, that was just as exciting as the Habs in the playoffs (because the Habs always won, maybe even more exciting).

But the sport changed and became all about money. It's eventually going to break down unless they find some parity. Who wants to watch something that's rigged? It appeals to the underdog syndrome, but after awhile, enough is enough.

In Oakland and SF and LA, baseball fans are pretty casual, but you have to have money to buy tickets. It's expensive. Baseball is still awesome in NYC though. Probably in Chicago and St-Louis too, but elsewhere....I dunno.

My gut feeling is that in 50 years, the sport will be irrelevant unless they make changes.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 07-30-2006 at 08:37 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
40,000 cheering (and LOUD!) fans
Problem is, that nearly never, ever happened. Look at the Expos historical attendance numbers. It simply never happened with ANY sense of regularity. Thus, no more team.

Old
07-30-2006, 09:19 PM
oli500

Quote:

Im aware of the hole situation but also to note that no one in quebec made an effort to by the team and if they did they it wasent good enough. Bell could off easily step in and become a full owner. They have the money. If a local buisness was to buy the team mlb would of not moved the team. Why do u think the jays are still alive after years of struglin with attendance after the lock out. Unfortunately no one was interested in putting money towards the expos wich made it easy for mlb to plot a scenario to move the team away. The hole fiasco before that dident help either mind you. Its easy to blame mlb but it goes much deeper than that. What made the move posible was the lack of local support. Mlb move it because no one was intersted in buying the team. I mean its sad because Rogers invested in the blue jays, and no one, not even bell canada was interested in the expos. What choice did the mlb have. Hell the expos dident even have a tv contract. Not even rds was interested in showing them full time. They rather show kick boxing or the strongest man competitions during the summer

Now Im not on mlb side, but if a product works it will stay and if it dosent than it will go. Its all about the $ sign.

Last edited by oli500: 07-30-2006 at 09:50 PM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I've watched far too much baseball today. I'm on my third game.

Old
07-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Stefan

Jays game was beyond depressing.

Old
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

not if you don't like the jays.

Old
07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
I just looked it up: In 1994, the Expos average crowd was 22,390.
I understand what you are saying, attendance could have been better. But just a few points:

Some sites have the wrong average attendance for that year. Total attendance was 1,276,250 with the team playing 52 home dates for an average of 24,543 per game.They were 32 and 20 at home and 42 and 20 on the road for 74 and 40 total record. I am not sure why some sites have that average wrong at 22,390

See this link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...N/attend.shtml

The team was really drawing poorly at the start of the year but it picked up steadily as the weather and the team heated up. The end of hockey probably was a factor too.

I went to that last home series of that strike shortened year. The Spos played St Louis in the first week of August. It was a 4 game series and the Spos took 3. The house was definitely rocking! That series drew 137,497 fans for an average of 34,374 per game. The Sunday game drew 39,044

Montreal had 29 home dates left. Drawing a million for those dates in a pennant race was well within reason. That would have boosted the year to 2.2 million plus with playoffs beckoning as well.

The irony of that season interruption was that it was supposed to be to help small market teams. Not only did it screw Montreal's best shot at the Series but MLB ultimately sold out the small market teams in settling the matter. This was the fork in the road for the success of the team

I used to go see the Spos at home and on the road. It was fun win or lose. I just cannot get interested in the Nats. It just isn't the same at all. I do still go to see some games, but the same fun is not there.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:44 PM
DerekT

I miss the expos. They were the boys of summer. Now who do we have? The boys from the Outgames? I mean, they wear tight pants all the same, but the allure is gone.

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Plus, I hated Youppi! slightly less with the Expos...

Old
07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
DerekT

At the BigO, Youppi! could never block your view. There was just so much room in there, it was hard to even find him against the sea of empty seats.

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:55 PM
KaptainKourage*

Oh man i miss them so much too .. i mean i just cant watch baseball w/o a team to cheer for... i can watch any NHL games w/o being boring.. or kinda any NFL/CFL game..but baseball game with like.. Oakland vs Los Angeles ? Yankees vs Cubs ? I just dont care...

I go 2 or 3 times see Expos.. that so cool.. never go to centre bell though i know that sad but dont hijack the thread...

Maybe a day they'll be back.. when the bruins win the cup

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:55 PM
RemembertheViking

I'm not sure, but in the early eighties ( with the Dawson, Carter et co ), attendance was high enough, league wide. Same thing with the 1994 season. A fan base was there. Small maybe, but high enough for a major team.
Many factors just destroyed that fan base ; bad management, salaries, the expo's stars players constant exodus to greener field, the evolution of the game, the strikes and so on.
Heck, for a while, the fax machine was basically the Expo's GM, to quote an espn journalist.
I remember being a big fan of Carter, then Wallach. I remember Martinez perfect game. I watched every games possible of the 1994 season. After the strike, I wondered what was the point of watching the Yankees in playoff every season while small markets had just a one-chance-a-decade of winning big
At the end, there was so many new players in the Expos, I could'nt identified myself with none of them. The passion just died.
And don't get me started with all the baseball drug policy and stuff like that

RemembertheViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:57 PM
JrHockeyFan

Oh yes

Quote:
First of all, they can draw 10,000. D-Rays average is 17,487. Marlins 12,540.

Difference between these two teams and the Expos, they've also got a TV and radio deal... unlike Les Expos.
Mr Jeffrey Loria made sure that there was no radio deal for Montreal Expos. Now why would he have wanted to do that?

Loria poisoned the well in that move and many others. He ultimately got what he wanted. MLB got what they wanted. Both profited HUGELY by screwing Montreal:

Loria who "bought" the Expos (interesting choice of words) for about 40 million and got 80 million from MLB when the Marlins Red Sox ownership flip occurred. MLB got the Spos, Loria got the Marlins, and the previous Marlins owner got the Sox. Loria also got an interest free loan of 35 million from MLB of which 5 million was to be forgiven if Florida did not build him a new stadium. MLB got the Spos and could contract them if it would be allowed. However, instead they sold this team to the new Washington owners for 400 million PLUS

Do ya think maybe it worked out well for Loria and MLB to sink the Spos?

There are several teams that have done much worse than Montreal at the gate and they are still around, including: San Fran, Oakland, and Atlanta

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Guy Legend

I wish the Expos were still in Montreal. It's sad that a city like Montreal has only 1 real professional sports team (I'm not really counting the CFL).

I hate to see devoted fans lose their team.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Stefan

Did the Expos ever draw like 50,000 for a game during a season? As in a game that wasn't the home opener? Not a question to sound like an ***, just wondering...

Old
07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Did the Expos ever draw like 50,000 for a game during a season? As in a game that wasn't the home opener? Not a question to sound like an ***, just wondering...
Yup, I remember being on a Montreal vs Atlanta game in August 94 and there were ~55000 people.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
The Expos were my favourite professional sports team. I followed them religiously since I was four years old, and they were the reason I took up baseball in the first place... and when they moved, it was the reason that I quit playing. I wasn't able to be there for the last home game, but I watched it on the Score, and I bawled like a baby when the game ended, and for hours afterwards.

As far as the team's demise goes, you should blame Brochu and Loria for driving the fans away and gutting the team time and time again. You should blame Selig for not caring enough about the team to prevent the farce that occurred in the 2000s. Hell, you could blame Parizeau, Bouchard and the PQ for trying to make all of the Anglos leave Quebec, because that little stunt cut into the Expos' fanbase deeply. Whatever you do, though, don't blame the fans, because it was us who kept the bloody team around as long as it was.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote