HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Blues talking Stewart?

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Smid and Paajarvi for Stewart ??

Old
03-14-2013, 10:10 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
If you need a Stewart type and STL is looking for a Dman, you have the asset to deal - it just depends on how much you want Stewart.

Kulemin for Stewart does STL no good. Liles has negative value. You won't like it, but Gardiner for Stewart. It's not like your organization seems to value Gardiner right now, otherwise he would be up playing.
This doesn't do the Blues any good. Seriously. Leading scorer on a playoff team doesn't get moved for a defenseman in the minor leagues, even if that defenseman has a lot of potential. If Stewart is moved, it'll be for another big impact player.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Im a Kulie supporter but YES PLEASE, bring stew home .... think he'd thrive in the limelight

Old
03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

What would St. Louis want from Ottawa?

Gonchar + Stone + ??? (1st 2013?)

Last edited by Curtinho: 03-14-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilvision View Post
Smid and Paajarvi for Stewart ??
Stewart not available for trade and no real interest in Paajarvi, but Smid would definitely be more the sort of player the Blues would be looking for.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
This doesn't do the Blues any good. Seriously. Leading scorer on a playoff team doesn't get moved for a defenseman in the minor leagues, even if that defenseman has a lot of potential. If Stewart is moved, it'll be for another big impact player.
I'm not saying it does you any good. I'm trying to say when you are acquiring a good player like Stewart, you better give quality back. I was thinking you were looking for a young blueliner. Gardiner is just that and a talented one.

I'm not sure what St. Louis needs, but it needs something. You don't have that stud scorer, but you have as balanced of a scoring team as there is. No 100 point guys, but tons of 45-60 point guys.

Bottom line, Stewart should yield more than the typical Maple Leaf names brought up - especially Kulemin and Liles.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Stewart not available for trade and no real interest in Paajarvi, but Smid would definitely be more the sort of player the Blues would be looking for.
Smid would be a rental.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Badger25

The Blues need a left handed D to play with Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo. So a package around Kulemin + Liles could definitely be a possibility. I would expect a late round pick coming with Stewart from the Blues

Edit: maybe Elliott?

Old
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
The Blues should sell him while his value is high, IMHO. And I rarely say that, but I think - depending on the return - it could be a major step into making the Blues a long-term winner.
Stewart had one bad season and is still young that he is going to be a main part to the core...Unless you get a overpayment you just dont trade him...And I dont consider it selling him while his value is high as I think he is going to continue to be a top 6 forward...Last year was bad but every other year has been very good.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

They want a steady d-man, no offensive pmd. Gunnarsson would be a better fit than Liles.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger25 View Post
The Blues need a left handed D to play with Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo. So a package around Kulemin + Liles could definitely be a possibility. I would expect a late round pick coming with Stewart from the Blues
Yeah no. If you do not watch the Blues atleast check his stats. Do you really believe you can get a PPG powerforward for Liles and Kulemin?
The way Stewie is playing right now, the Blues would be stupid to trade him. And if they do, Gardiner would only be the starting point.
They might even want to ask for Phaneuf but I don't think that the Blues can afford him.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Smid would be a rental.
Yeah it wouldn't work, I was just trying to point out the type of player for people to see if they wanted to make an offer.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
RatBoyinStLoser*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger25 View Post
oh my god... my head hurts. How many times does this have to be repeated for you Leafs fans to understand it: Liles is NOT A FIT for the Blues. Quit trying to pawn him off on the Blues. He's not a fit. How many times can you propose the same trade over and over again?

Kulemin and Liles is NOT a "definite possibility" for anyone other than hallucinating Leafs fans. Get a grip. Neither of them (even combined) gets you a sniff of Chris' sweaty jock strap. He's the freaking leading scorer on a playoff bound team and you want to get him for two mediocrities? God no wonder everyone hates Leafs fans.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
It would be interesting to trade Kulemin for him. I'd do it. I'd even throw Liles if they want him but not sure if they want his salary.
Any Leafs fan that wouldnt trade Kulemin for Stewart is crazy...Stewart is easily the better player...One bad season is all he has had...His 2 prior seasons and this season shows you how good Stewart is.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Stewart had one bad season and is still young that he is going to be a main part to the core...Unless you get a overpayment you just dont trade him...And I dont consider it selling him while his value is high as I think he is going to continue to be a top 6 forward...Last year was bad but every other year has been very good.
If that's what you believe, then you're right to not consider moving him (short of overpayment, as you mention). Having seen Stewart's development to this point, I think you have a mercenary on your hands quite frankly. If you lock him up long-term, I firmly believe that he'll settle back to his form from last season, showing only flashes of what he can do. I don't think he's a player that's ever going to bring a consistent, team-first effort to the rink every night of every season.

I hope I'm wrong, I like nothing more than to have good, skilled, team-oriented players playing in the NHL; it makes for a great product. But I'm not certain you have that, that's why I said what I said. If you feel otherwise, which is certainly valid, then by all means hold on to him.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM
DK28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
How about I knew Stewart could play this good here and now he is. Why in the hell would we trade him? Value high now? Just wait till the seasons over. Value high then? Wait till next season and he hit 35 goals+ . Would we regret trading him? Absof'inglutely.
I agree. Stewart is a 25 year old power forward with offensive skill, and with great size, who is on pace for 42 points in a 48 game schedule. You hang onto these guys, not trade him, and trade him for what? They are so valuable come playoff time

Trade oshie, or Perron, or halak if a trade is needed to fill needs. Jake Allen is playing very well, a shutout tonight.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
If that's what you believe, then you're right to not consider moving him (short of overpayment, as you mention). Having seen Stewart's development to this point, I think you have a mercenary on your hands quite frankly. If you lock him up long-term, I firmly believe that he'll settle back to his form from last season, showing only flashes of what he can do. I don't think he's a player that's ever going to bring a consistent, team-first effort to the rink every night of every season.

I hope I'm wrong, I like nothing more than to have good, skilled, team-oriented players playing in the NHL; it makes for a great product. But I'm not certain you have that, that's why I said what I said. If you feel otherwise, which is certainly valid, then by all means hold on to him.
I think you are pretty off before this season Stewart has scored 28 goals twice and also over 60 points. I just think Hitchcock was the first coach that demanded him to play strong at both ends of the ice. I think Stewart was use to getting by on talent alone. Her conditioning was most likely fine if you didn't expect him to play both ends of the ice. I think Stewart has learned that he needs to keep his conditioning up. He's actually a better player right now then he has ever been.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
Gardiner > Gunnarsson + 2nd.

I would do think hard about this though. Cole would be pretty awesome.
LOL that's nice, Stewart + Cole for Kulemin + Gardiner isn't even in the ballpark and was a Leafs fan idea.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:31 AM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't want Stewart for Kulemin+ because when I watched him last year...I just think he's very lazy and works when he wants to...

I hope Leaf fans know that this is his contract year.

Kulemin might not be a 30 goal guy ever again but he's easily our hardest working forward, great defensively, and if he wasn't tied to the hip of a struggling Grabovski, he could put up 45-50 points easily. He has the skill.

I don't want the Leafs to be the team to overpay him on his next contract.

On the other hand, if we get Stewart, we better acquire Stastny..because this guy was amazing when he played with Stastny.

I'm really indifferent to Kulemin+ for Stewart. I just don't think it helps our team. We score enough, we just need to find a way to stop playing guys like Holzer/Kostka.
He was in a contract year last year to..

Old
03-15-2013, 01:33 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Yeah no. If you do not watch the Blues atleast check his stats. Do you really believe you can get a PPG powerforward for Liles and Kulemin?
The way Stewie is playing right now, the Blues would be stupid to trade him.
And if they do, Gardiner would only be the starting point.
They might even want to ask for Phaneuf but I don't think that the Blues can afford him.
When Kulemin was coming off a 30 goal year everyone was saying how stupid it'd be to trade him. Boy wish we dealt him back then when he had huge value.

The key here for St. Louis is selling high on a player who is bound to come back to earth soon.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
When Kulemin was coming off a 30 goal year everyone was saying how stupid it'd be to trade him. Boy wish we dealt him back then when he had huge value.

The key here for St. Louis is selling high on a player who is bound to come back to earth soon.
Except the only down year Stewart had was last year. Back to back 28 goal seasons before that. He is looking like he did before last year. So how will he come crashing back to earth when he is playing like Chris Stewart normally plays?

Man you people can be thick sometimes.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:01 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:

Stewart's averaged 26 goals per 82 games played for his career, and 28 goals per 82 games over his last 245 games. Some years Stewart will get a few more goals than normal, and some years he'll get a few less, but his baseline production isn't exactly something that teams are normally desperate to move.

I doubt anyone believes that Stewart is going to consistently be a 40 goal/80 point player moving forward, and I seriously doubt that any GM would buy him at a price that reflects that sort of production, so what opportunity is really being missed here if the Blues keep him?

Old
03-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:

But Stewart has played like this before. The Blues would be stupid to trade him right now.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:59 AM
KPower

Stewart for Gardiner.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:07 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Stewart for Gardiner.
Stewart is worth more then Gardiner by a decent amount. Gardiner has good potential but only has one NHL season played so far. Also Gardiner is a puck moving defenseman that is not as good at it as Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk.

Stewart is the Blues leading scorer. He also provides toughness to the lineup and has improved his defensive game and play along the boards.

The Blues need a better version of Jackman to trade Stewart.

Closed Thread