HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ben Eager - *CLEARED*

Old
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Oil Gauge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I sure hope the Oilers weren't trying to force Eager to fight right after his concussion.
If eager can't fight then eager isn't an NHL player. In a way he is forced to fight if he wants an NHL job. Its his choice if he wants to fight or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
We, as Oiler fans, overvalue our players big time. With both Hordi and Eager clearing, it really shows you the kind of work Tambo has been doing. Belanger would probably clear waivers too. Meaning the offseason of 2012 was truly horrible. This team has one of the worst bottom 6 in the league. Some major changes need to be made, and I think it should start with Tambo.
I highly doubt Belanger would clear. He's still good checking center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
WEll there goes the "Eager is a good free agent signing that several teams would have had interest in" theory.

Which was actually stated often here by Tambo supporters who liked the Eager signing and Barker signing and any other assorted dreck the cat dragged in.
If you don't see how Eagers value has dropped with his concussions limiting the amount he can fight then your a lost cause. I bet you that if the Oilers didn't sign eager when they did that someone else would have.

Barker is a signing i'd do again. He didn't pan out but we all knew that was probably going to happen. In a season where your wins and losses don't really matter why not give a former 3rd overall draft pick a chance to rediscover his game? If you can't see that for what it was then you should probably stop sharing your opinion.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
HMMM. His Master got us into the SCF!
Dwayne Roloson's dog got us to the SCF????? Prove it...

Old
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post

If you don't see how Eagers value has dropped with his concussions limiting the amount he can fight then your a lost cause. I bet you that if the Oilers didn't sign eager when they did that someone else would have.

Barker is a signing i'd do again. He didn't pan out but we all knew that was probably going to happen. In a season where your wins and losses don't really matter why not give a former 3rd overall draft pick a chance to rediscover his game? If you can't see that for what it was then you should probably stop sharing your opinion.
Being that you're supporting the Barker signing theres maybe not much point discussing the Eager signing. Both players were done before arriving here, I said as much at the time, and it was obvious to quite a few people that were familiar with these players.

The concussions didn't help Eager but he wasn't consistent in responding to the bell or answering the call of duty before he had them.

I wish Eager all the best, sometimes its more important to walk away then getting your brains scrambled. He should call it quits at this point. No shame in doing that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Tyler Durden

Questions about Ben Eager

Will he play for the Oilers again? Do you think he plays for any team in the NHL next year? THX

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
WEll there goes the "Eager is a good free agent signing that several teams would have had interest in" theory.

Which was actually stated often here by Tambo supporters who liked the Eager signing and Barker signing and any other assorted dreck the cat dragged in.
I'll admit I liked the signing (as did about 90% of HFOil)

Sad to see how things turned out, especially with the concussion issues. I'm confident that he would've been claimed if his contract was over this season. The extra year is the killer and the reason he's still Oilers property.

I heard Eager got a few offers but Edmonton was the only team offering the contract length he wanted.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
You can have him.

It's doubtful that he plays this season.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:05 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Will he play for the Oilers again? Do you think he plays for any team in the NHL next year? THX
Word is the organization hasn't given up on him and he may be back at some point. From what i see they are stuck with him for another year. Hopefully this demotion lights a fire under him and he comes back with a strong response but not getting my hopes up.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Not really. This version of Eager cant fight. If he could still drop the gloves without fear of his season ending, he may still get interest. We'll never know. Your theory is flawed.

Quote:
If eager can't fight then eager isn't an NHL player. In a way he is forced to fight if he wants an NHL job. Its his choice if he wants to fight or not.
Yup. Thats his role as an NHLer. Barbaric but true.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I always wanted Eager for borderline hits and a hard forecheck. Really don't care if he fights.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Thanks a lot, Tulupov. If you were going to ruin Eager the least you could do is take his job.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'll admit I liked the signing (as did about 90% of HFOil)

Sad to see how things turned out, especially with the concussion issues. I'm confident that he would've been claimed if his contract was over this season. The extra year is the killer and the reason he's still Oilers property.

I heard Eager got a few offers but Edmonton was the only team offering the contract length he wanted.
90% of HFOIL liked the signing...not the HF I read. i recall more of "why is it for 3 years" or "why is it over 1 million" or "why cant tambo get anyone without overpaying"

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
90% of HFOIL liked the signing...not the HF I read. i recall more of "why is it for 3 years" or "why is it over 1 million" or "why cant tambo get anyone without overpaying"
Funny enough, I was one of the one's that didn't like the deal at the time, but I don't really mind it now At least Tambo tried to fill a hole based on the options he had

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Not really. This version of Eager cant fight. If he could still drop the gloves without fear of his season ending, he may still get interest. We'll never know. Your theory is flawed.

Yup. Thats his role as an NHLer. Barbaric but true.
Agreed. He can probably play well in a powerforward type role in a lesser league since he's actually got some talent, but not in the NHL. He needs to be able to play on the edge, and actually back it up.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Most people, myself included thought it was a year too long but understood that it's something the Oilers have to do to attract free agents while in the basement. Here's the thread from the day we signed Eager, lots of positive comments : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=939961

It was almost unanimous that everyone "loved" the signing.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Most people, myself included thought it was a year too long but understood that it's something the Oilers have to do to attract free agents while in the basement. Here's the thread from the day we signed Eager, lots of positive comments : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=939961

I didn't. It was Canada Day so I was on some joy juice but heres some of my comments:

Quote:
How could you compare Bolland, a guy that thinks the game well, is effective all over the ice, and only gets better as the games get bigger, with a schmuck like Eager?

WE have Eager because he's imminently expendable. Guy hits a lot, can fight, takes a lot of pim and loses his head regularly enough.

Ben Eager is not an effective pest. An effective pest imo causes the opposition to take penalties as opposed to harming their own club with idiotic *decisions*.
Quote:
But we got rid of idiots like Moreau that go around taking stupid penalties.
Its fine to think of it as nothing lost but its the role modeling and learning that I'd be more concerned about.

Less Pro's than Con's with Eager game imo.
my favorite post in that thread:

Quote:
Heres the equation to make it simple.

Ben Eager = Raffi Torres with his brains knocked out but with a fighting inclination.

If people had watched Ben Eager the last few seasons(except imagine that he was an Oiler over that tenure) they wouldn't want him here anymore. Its easier to ignore how he hurts a club when he's not on your club.
Its easy to ignore how a bad a hockey player he is while playing on good clubs.

Eager will definitely be one of those players that attracts like/dislike from the fanbase.
Quote:
Eager had nothing to do with the success of either. In the SJ series its easier to argue the opposite, that Eager prevented his team from advancing.

People should be careful with the associative thinking. It brings us a series of players like Fraser, Barker, Foster, Eager.

Just because you played on a good team doesn't mean you are a good player.

Two very good teams that know a lot better than us gave this player up and felt he was entirely expendable.

If SJ wanted Eager they would have retained him I would think.
and so on..

Not the only one either questioning this move. Guys like Everest, Silver also knew this was a nothing addition by an org flailing away.

Rather than noting a plurality note how many people were plain wrong on this player or invoked fantasy on what he would contribute here. But these people are not paid to be pro hockey GM's.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Thanks a lot, Tulupov. If you were going to ruin Eager the least you could do is take his job.
Why would we want a hard hitting boring, stay at home defenseman?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
I didn't. It was Canada Day so I was on some joy juice but heres some of my comments:

and so on..

Not the only one either questioning this move. Guys like Everest, Silver also knew this was a nothing addition by an org flailing away.

Rather than noting a plurality note how many people were plain wrong on this player or invoked fantasy on what he would contribute here. But these people are not paid to be pro hockey GM's.
Forsure, a few people including yourself had some concerns but the vast majority liked the signing. Edmonton was way too soft. I could go and quote 100 posts of people praising Tambellini from that thread. Like I said I thought it was a year too much but that's what the Oilers have to do to attract free agents.

Unless we're offering the most money or the longest contract there's not many players who are going to choose Edmonton.

Besides Schultz that is... thanks Schultz!

Old
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM
misfit

I didn't mind the Eager signing at the time because he was brought in to replace JFJ. He was was a definite upgrade there. I still believe that to be true and have no problem with him as a 4LW/13F. What I never got, was how anyone thought that his addition was going to make any difference in the fortunes of the team. And there seemed to be a lot of them at the time.

03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Well now that he has been waived and cleared we can call him up anytime, whether or not he is back this year is more likely a matter of how many bodies we trade at the deadline and how many we get back, combined with how many injuries on the active roster. Since no one claimed him my thoughts are it is only a matter of time before we see him back.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
What on earth are you talking about?

The fourth line is on for less than 10 minutes EV a game, yet THEY'RE the ones causing the Oiler losses?

What a bunch of baloney.

Try proving it statistically or at least putting up other teams fourth lines for comparison.

The reason why the Oilers are bad is because the top six forwards is too young to handle heavy EV duties and the defense isn't good enough.

The Oilers bottom six IS bad, but to blame them solely for the Oilers standings is ridiculous.
Thanks, I needed that.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I didn't mind the Eager signing at the time because he was brought in to replace JFJ. He was was a definite upgrade there. I still believe that to be true and have no problem with him as a 4LW/13F. What I never got, was how anyone thought that his addition was going to make any difference in the fortunes of the team. And there seemed to be a lot of them at the time.
Eager signing by itself was understandable. Signing Eager AND Hordichuk was retarded. Re-signing Hordichuk past summer was even more idiotic. I wish it was possible to waive Tambellini.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
McClelland

Quote:

and so on..

How about Paajarvi then? no quotes from your past there! You throwned him under the bus after his second season, no patient there?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1305269

Last edited by McClelland: 03-15-2013 at 08:57 PM.
McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Being that you're supporting the Barker signing theres maybe not much point discussing the Eager signing. Both players were done before arriving here, I said as much at the time, and it was obvious to quite a few people that were familiar with these players.

The concussions didn't help Eager but he wasn't consistent in responding to the bell or answering the call of duty before he had them.

I wish Eager all the best, sometimes its more important to walk away then getting your brains scrambled. He should call it quits at this point. No shame in doing that.
The Barker signing was so obviously a reclamation project. Whats wrong with taking a flyer on a guy who was once a good NHL Defenseman and a 3rd overall pick? We all knew he was coming off of a few bad seasons and was looking like a bust. What if he had turned into a good top 4 dman? Then it would still be a bad signing right? because that's what you are saying.

how were the Oilers supposed to know that his concussion problems would come back? He only had 2 back in 2007-08, and had been free of them since. Then he got one the in the pre season before he even played a game for the Oilers right? Or was it the first regular season game? I seem to remember him being pretty feisty in SJ, don't remember watching him in Atlanta.

Eager was the kind of guy the Oilers needed when they signed him. Concussions quickly changed his game.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The Barker signing was so obviously a reclamation project. Whats wrong with taking a flyer on a guy who was once a good NHL Defenseman and a 3rd overall pick? We all knew he was coming off of a few bad seasons and was looking like a bust. What if he had turned into a good top 4 dman? Then it would still be a bad signing right? because that's what you are saying.
I'm very familiar with the player. There was less chance of this reclamation project working out then there was with Brule. Theres such a thing as a player going through a difficult spell vs falling right off the map. In the case of Both Brule and Barker the NHL game had left them behind. When your play falls too far back you really cease being an NHLer. Only really experienced players tend to recover from that. For instance Souray. But he has size, a shot and physical gifts. A small D like Barker, if he loses his game he's going to be a liability because he NEEDS to be thinking the game far better than a bigger D. hope this is clear.

Quote:
how were the Oilers supposed to know that his concussion problems would come back? He only had 2 back in 2007-08, and had been free of them since. Then he got one the in the pre season before he even played a game for the Oilers right? Or was it the first regular season game? I seem to remember him being pretty feisty in SJ, don't remember watching him in Atlanta.

Eager was the kind of guy the Oilers needed when they signed him. Concussions quickly changed his game.
You're misreading me on this. I've followed Eagers career. He's not the typical enforcer type that properly takes numbers and enacts some level of retribution. On most nights in his career he neglects to take note of whats going on around him. As in Edmonton other teams as well have found him lacking in terms of his consistency at responding to the call of duty.

Indeed a scouting knock on him is that he forgets sometimes he's an enforcer and wants instead to be a player. Quite a lot of talk at the time of the signing suggested that he was coming here because the org actually suggested they would give him more opportunity to be a player rather than an enforcer. You don't do that with Ben Eager because he's alreadly inclined to want out of his role on his own.

You could attribute solely to concussion, or note that this guy has rarely been a regular pugilist. Not compared to the guys that go regularly.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:08 AM
shoop

Quote:
It wasn't a terrible signing. Took a shot at signing a potentially solid addition to the 3rd/4th line. If his production last year was average for the length of the contract it would have been an ok signing.

Given this is a short season the total cost of Eager is $2.85 M. Even if they keep him buried in the minors next year ... meh.

Far costlier mistakes have been made.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:51 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I'd think Eager has probably made enough cash at this point. If he's been semi-responsible with it, he should be fine for life. Probably best to walk away at this point before another injury does more damage and affects him for life.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote