HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alain Vigneault/coaching discussion thread - Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:08 PM
JetsAlternate

vCash: 500
I suppose, having just barely squeaked out a win, we can pretend none of this ever happened. The team may have just saved AV's job. I'm sure everyone will turn a blind eye to the team's poor recent performances now. As much as I support the team, I think they need a culture change and a new coach. Had we lost tonight, I think an incredible amount of pressure would have been placed on Gillis to make a move. Now it seems this team may remain its complacent self for a little while longer. Tonight's game was mostly unimpressive from the Canucks' perspective. Hopefully this will spark the team and inspire them to pick things up. If not, this short-term victory might bite the team in the rear by providing the illusion of improvement.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-12-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Canuckee

Garrison has probably been our best defenseman the last 15 games. He is definitely better than Salo right now. Do people not remember how slow he looked last season? I mean I love the guy, but people's perceptions of players change so much when they leave. It's irritating.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:55 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I suppose, having just barely squeaked out a win, we can pretend none of this ever happened. The team may have just saved AV's job. I'm sure everyone will turn a blind eye to the team's poor recent performances now. As much as I support the team, I think they need a culture change and a new coach. Had we lost tonight, I think an incredible amount of pressure would have been placed on Gillis to make a move. Now it seems this team may remain its complacent self for a little while longer. Tonight's game was mostly unimpressive from the Canucks' perspective. Hopefully this will spark the team and inspire them to pick things up. If not, this short-term victory might bite the team in the rear by providing the illusion of improvement.
I think maybe that's why I was kind of upset when we won tonight. I wanted to win of course but I wanted a convincing win. This was just the opposite of that. Of course Gillis isn't stupid and can see everything that the fans have been seeing recently but still I feel like AV would have had to feel real nervous if we lost tonight. Instead this could just get swept under the rug if we win a few more like this.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:55 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I can easily think of something dumber but I'd rather not get my first violation on the HF boards....
It wouldn't be that 50% PP, would it?

*prepares the noose*

Edit: Oh wait, never mind. I see what you did there!

Old
03-13-2013, 03:18 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
I think maybe that's why I was kind of upset when we won tonight. I wanted to win of course but I wanted a convincing win. This was just the opposite of that. Of course Gillis isn't stupid and can see everything that the fans have been seeing recently but still I feel like AV would have had to feel real nervous if we lost tonight. Instead this could just get swept under the rug if we win a few more like this.
Looking at it from another perspective. We struggled to squeak out a win against Columbus. Granted, Nashville is in a tailspin but once we come up against the contending teams in the west, it remains to be seen if we have any business gunning with them. Thus far, the answer is an resounding no.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
You got it! We scored a goal agaisnt Columbus? We've righted the ship! It's all downhill from here! All because one brave man had the foresight to play Cam Barker and Andrew Ebbett.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:36 PM
JetsAlternate

For those who'd like to see Vigneault gone, here's another theory:

The team has not fired Vigneault yet as doing so would create a distraction and take away from the upcoming Millionaires celebrations. The team, at this point, would like the fans and media to focus on the events this weekend rather than on the firing of the coach. Recall how in 2008, Mats Sundin waited until after Trevor Linden's jersey retirement ceremony to announce his signing with the team.

We'll wait and see!

Old
03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
jigsaw99

Current Garrison > Current Salo

Prime Salo > Current Garrison

Old
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
For those who'd like to see Vigneault gone, here's another theory:

The team has not fired Vigneault yet as doing so would create a distraction and take away from the upcoming Millionaires celebrations. The team, at this point, would like the fans and media to focus on the events this weekend rather than on the firing of the coach. Recall how in 2008, Mats Sundin waited until after Trevor Linden's jersey retirement ceremony to announce his signing with the team.

We'll wait and see!
I dunno. Remember when we went on that 10 game losing streak and AV still kept his job? I don't think Gillis wants to fire AV no matter what. He just has to much faith in him...

Old
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
I dunno. Remember when we went on that 10 game losing streak and AV still kept his job? I don't think Gillis wants to fire AV no matter what. He just has to much faith in him...
When the Canucks ended the 2007-08 season losing 7 of 8 games and missing the playoffs by 3 points as a result, Dave Nonis took the blame. When the Canucks faced their extended losing streak at the start of the next calendar year (the one you're mentioning), nothing happened, likely because Gillis had just been hired and had recently given Vigneault his vote of confidence.

Both have been around for a while now, and the team is arguably playing at its worst since then. It's tough to say what will happen if the team continues to slide. With Gilman on the bench during Tuesday's shootout, though, one has to wonder what's going on.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Actually, what was Gilman doing on the bench anyway?

Old
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Quote:
When the Canucks ended the 2007-08 season losing 7 of 8 games and missing the playoffs by 3 points as a result, Dave Nonis took the blame. When the Canucks faced their extended losing streak at the start of the next calendar year (the one you're mentioning), nothing happened, likely because Gillis had just been hired and had recently given Vigneault his vote of confidence.

Both have been around for a while now, and the team is arguably playing at its worst since then. It's tough to say what will happen if the team continues to slide. With Gilman on the bench during Tuesday's shootout, though, one has to wonder what's going on.
I believe this is not the one he is talking about, I would have to go back and check, but the one he is talking about was middle of the season, and mayn people were talking of firing the coach. But we didn't, as we should not have, the team was playing well at the time, just on the wrong and of luck. Where this time, the team is just not playing right, and to be honest, they haven't really been playing well since the Boston game last year.

I think there are a number of mistakes being made by our coaching staff, and that is what is most frustrating. Just simple things that should be different. Now I missed the CBJ game, on Tuesday, with a Final exam, but from what I heard from others, Ballard was fine, and so was Barker. So this came, let's pull them both for Alberts???

I don't know, lots just doesn't make semse to me, and I see it, its right there.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Dado

vCash:
If AV is fired, Gillis is next on the chopping block.

And he's too smart not to know that.

It's going to be an interesting stretch run, no doubt about it.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I believe this is not the one he is talking about, I would have to go back and check, but the one he is talking about was middle of the season, and mayn people were talking of firing the coach. But we didn't, as we should not have, the team was playing well at the time, just on the wrong and of luck. Where this time, the team is just not playing right, and to be honest, they haven't really been playing well since the Boston game last year.

I think there are a number of mistakes being made by our coaching staff, and that is what is most frustrating. Just simple things that should be different. Now I missed the CBJ game, on Tuesday, with a Final exam, but from what I heard from others, Ballard was fine, and so was Barker. So this came, let's pull them both for Alberts???

I don't know, lots just doesn't make semse to me, and I see it, its right there.
It was the streak broken by Burrows' goal against Carolina, wasn't it? That happened at the start of the 2009 calendar year, middle of the 2008-09 season.

Ballard didn't play on Tuesday. He was scratched in favor of Barker. That's another decision most fans don't agree with.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
It was the streak broken by Burrows' goal against Carolina, wasn't it? That happened at the start of the 2009 calendar year, middle of the 2008-09 season.

Ballard didn't play on Tuesday. He was scratched in favor of Barker. That's another decision most fans don't agree with.
I am actually fine with Barker now. Alberts on the other hand...

Old
03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Yup. Rumours said that AV may have been toast if they'd lost that game. Which would make it the first of two times a Burrows goal has saved his ass.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
Yup. Rumours said that AV may have been toast if they'd lost that game. Which would make it the first of two times a Burrows goal has saved his ass.
If the Canucks had lost against the Blackhawks in the 2011 playoffs, losing four straight after being up 3-0 in the series, that might have been it for Vigneault as well.

He sure has come close to being fired several times.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
If the Canucks had lost against the Blackhawks in the 2011 playoffs, losing four straight after being up 3-0 in the series, that might have been it for Vigneault as well.

He sure has come close to being fired several times.
You mean it sure has been speculated alot before...

Or does Gillis sit at his desk Mr Burns style hand hovering over that red button on the desk, becoming ever itchy in a losing streak, only to have Mason Raymond with a spinorama in the shootout save the day for AV, stopping the trap door on the floor behind the bench from swinging open and dropping him into the abyss.

I would be surprised if a NHL coach was ever fired or saved because of the result of a 1 goal game...

Old
03-14-2013, 09:43 PM
moog35

get rid of that little pip squeak Newell Brown first, AV would crush him in a fight and Bowness would handle him easily too probably landing some nice jackhammer rights in the process

Old
03-15-2013, 12:37 AM
mrquincy27

Apparently Laviolette, Boucher, and Torts are all on the hotseat, in my opinion any of those guys would be a good replacement for AV

Old
03-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy27 View Post
Apparently Laviolette, Boucher, and Torts are all on the hotseat, in my opinion any of those guys would be a good replacement for AV
Laviolette would be my choice. Boucher is absolutely garbage... the amount of talent he has and how the team is still struggling

Old
03-15-2013, 12:40 AM
mrquincy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Laviolette would be my choice. Boucher is absolutely garbage... the amount of talent he has and how the team is still struggling
Tampa's goaltending isn't good enough and neither is there D, remember he did get them to one game away from the final.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
The one place they have talent is forwards and they're leading the league in goals.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy27 View Post
Tampa's goaltending isn't good enough and neither is there D
No kidding - both are medicore (and I'm being kind).

Old
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Boucher is a high offensive oriented coach. He does have defensive plays in his book but focuses on scoring, hence Tampa's ridiculous numbers. His failures are more hinged on Stevie Y - who is an average GM at best. Tampa has no defense, a backup goalie as their starter and a offense coach. It's not wonder they struggle. Boucher with our roster would have us blowing teams up on a nightly average. Keep in mind, he took a garbage Hamilton Bulldogs team and made them into a force.

That said, I like Laviolette too.

Closed Thread