HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Saints run strictly man coverage... Lewis' only struggles were when we were in pure zone coverage.

Lewis will excel there.
We will see. Our castoffs usually don't do much in other organizations. Agreed though that the era has changed, and keeping players on your team is a total crapshoot these days so we could start seeing our guys succeeding elsewhere.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Dylonus

Best news of Free Agency?

RYAN MUNDY SIGNED WITH SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!

Old
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
The Steelers had to restructure all of those contracts just to get below the cap.
Kinda says something about "cap guru" Omar Khan doesn't it? It's no wonder why he has never been hired to be the GM for another franchise.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
I'm not gonna comment until our draft is done to see exactly where the front office's head is at.

Who knows with our first 2 picks we could take Patterson and Hunter for all we know and just draft LB's and DB's after that. You just never know. Even though I do know that I'm 100% wrong when I say that lol.

I'm just saying I'm not gonna get all aggro over something that maybe the front office couldn't control. I will get mad if I hate our draft though.
I'm actually starting to really like Keenan Allen from Cal. Patterson is the more dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands (he's so fluid for a big guy) but he's not a natural pass catcher. Allen has great hands and catches the ball in traffic much better than Cordarelle.

I love Hunter as a 2nd rounder too if he's available. Ryan Swope looks like a faster Wes Welker on tape.

We need playmakers on offense badly. Without Wallace to force DB's to respect the long ball it's going to make our running game and short passing game look worse I'm afraid.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Man, what an exodus from this team. This will be a very interesting year... It always seems like it's years like this where someone steps up and the team is actually pretty good.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
sniugneP

Another Raven defensive player left. Cary Williams just signed with Eagles. Reed visited Texans today and may sign with them.

I've never seen Super Bowl champions get raided like that. It's really amazing.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I'm actually starting to really like Keenan Allen from Cal. Patterson is the more dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands (he's so fluid for a big guy) but he's not a natural pass catcher. Allen has great hands and catches the ball in traffic much better than Cordarelle.

I love Hunter as a 2nd rounder too if he's available. Ryan Swope looks like a faster Wes Welker on tape.

We need playmakers on offense badly. Without Wallace to force DB's to respect the long ball it's going to make our running game and short passing game look worse I'm afraid.
I like Ryan Swope. He's little bigger version of Welker. Great hands and good speed. Very productive at Texas A&M.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Iggy Smalls

It'll be strange to see Reed in a color that's not purple. Figures we lost our best deep threat the same season the Ravens' most dangerous ball hawk also leaves.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I like Ryan Swope. He's little bigger version of Welker. Great hands and good speed. Very productive at Texas A&M.
Agreed on all counts. I'd love to get him but I think we would have to pick him in the 2nd to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
It'll be strange to see Reed in a color that's not purple. Figures we lost our best deep threat the same season the Ravens' most dangerous ball hawk also leaves.
Unless he signs with Minnesota

Old
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
JTG

What kind of Koolaid is Denver serving up?

Old
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
What kind of Koolaid is Denver serving up?

Old
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I like what Denver is doing though. They know Peyton isn't a spring chicken. They have a small window to win and are going all in for the next few years. I'd be surprised if they don't win a Super Bowl in the next couple years unless Peyton gets hurt.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I like what Denver is doing though. They know Peyton isn't a spring chicken. They have a small window to win and are going all in for the next few years. I'd be surprised if they don't win a Super Bowl in the next couple years unless Peyton gets hurt.
Or their cornerbacks have the greatest brain farts in history on the long ball again

Old
03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
sniugneP

I'm sure many will predict SF vs Denver in next Super Bowl. Tons of talents on both teams.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Or their cornerbacks have the greatest brain farts in history on the long ball again
True

What are the thoughts on the Steelers UFA visitors? I know most people hate Kellen Davis but we need TE depth and the Steelers have liked him for years. Seems like most people hate the Beanie Wells idea. I've heard some Cowboys fans say Victor Butler is a talented guy. He just hasn't had much of an opportunity with Ware and Spencer ahead of him. Not sure the Steelers will sign any of these guys but they're going to have to find a way to plug all these holes somehow.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
NFL is passing the Steelers by. The Rooneys, management, coaches, ect.

We sit Lewis on the bench for 3 years, he plays great one year, and he's gone? What is this ****? He and Cortez Allen were primed to be a fantastic duo for years. Ike has 1 maybe 2 more left. YOU NEED TO DEFEND THE PASS GAME!!

We just restructured how many contracts? Released Harrison. Where is this money going? To Larry Foote? So he can block a MLB draft pick for a few years, and then that guy can leave after 1 good year? This cycle SUCKS.

Is Beanie Wells going to be our big acquisition? He's going to be 3rd on the depth chart I assume. Gotta 'learn the playbook' and 'put in your time' before you can ever put your feet on the field. This old school style is BS.

Sorry Ben, idk what the team is doing either. Atleast you got Plex to throw the ball to.

/Rant.
A+ rant

I agree 100%

Old
03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
True

What are the thoughts on the Steelers UFA visitors? I know most people hate Kellen Davis but we need TE depth and the Steelers have liked him for years. Seems like most people hate the Beanie Wells idea. I've heard some Cowboys fans say Victor Butler is a talented guy. He just hasn't had much of an opportunity with Ware and Spencer ahead of him. Not sure the Steelers will sign any of these guys but they're going to have to find a way to plug all these holes somehow.
I think Kellen Davis and Victor Butler would be your classic FA pick ups for the team - guys that are solid but unspectacular. As you said they'll give us depth at spots that we need it.

Wells has a lot of talent, but man I don't want him here. He's always hurt and I don't think he works hard enough. And I'm a huge Buckeyes fan and I root for the Cards so if anyone should like him it's me That said we really really need running backs, so if it was a 1 year deal then I'm okay with the gamble.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Keenan Lewis ‏@KeenanLewis23

I will miss my steelers fans, but they didn't offer me a deal. Sean Payton believe in me. I love him as a coach. Made me feel comfortable. I love that man. He is a king. I respect him so much!

Old
03-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Black Label

Don't see the logic behind not at least offering Lewis some kind of contract.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Don't see the logic behind not at least offering Lewis some kind of contract.
I'm sure they talked to his reps before the UFA process got underway. The rumor was that his agent gave the Steelers a number and the Steelers had no interest in countering at that figure. No word on what that number was, but apparently too rich for their blood.

They may also want to spend their last little bit of cap room on someone like OLB Victor Butler and to shore up some depth at TE with someone like Kellen Davis and possibly try to get Beanie Wells on a cheap deal for RB depth.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
is there a capgeek for the NFL? how is it that the Steelers never have capspace? Big Ben and Troy eating all up?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
is there a capgeek for the NFL? how is it that the Steelers never have capspace? Big Ben and Troy eating all up?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/

Woodley and Hampton fill up a lot of it.

Not even offering Keenan a contract is so ****ing stupid it's mind boggling. Can't wait to see Gay start and get burned 10 times a game. This is going to be a long season.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Dylonus

Those numbers arent right though. Hampton isn't even making money. He's a free agent now.

Miller's numbers are skewed. He's making like 8 million this coming season BUT his guaranteed is only around 750k.

In retrospect; we should have had quite a bit of money left around to keep Lewis.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I've heard the Steelers are around 3 million under the cap right now. Lewis had a first year cap hit of 2.2m and they could have waited for Colon's June 1st release to free up more cap space to sign their draft picks and plug a couple holes with cheap UFA's. For whatever reason I think they just didn't feel Lewis was worth the money.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Dylonus

How's this for a scary thing? Players on team still are in bold

- 2007 NFL Draft -

1st - Lawrence Timmons - Pro Bowl ILB.
2nd - LaMarr Woodley - Pro Bowl OLB; although often injured and regressing. Can he turn it around in 2013?

3rd - Matt Spaeth - #3 TE at-best. Barely helped in pass game and was a poor blocker. Now an NFL journeyman.
4th - Dan Sepulveda - Very good punter, but injury prone. Since replaced.
4th - Ryan McBean - Appeared in one game as a rookie then cut after the season
5th - Cameron Stephenson - WHO? I had to look up who this dude even was. He didn't even make it out of training camp with us. He was cut while IN TRAINING CAMP. Unacceptable pick here.
5th - Willie Gay - very good nickle and great pass rusher, but nothing more. Horrible starter.
7th - Dallas Baker - PS guy. Nothing more.

- 2008 NFL Draft -

no drafted players remain on the team; only UDFA Doug Legursky

- 2009 NFL Draft -

1st - Ziggy Hood : Average starter.
2nd - Traded for two 3rds
3rd (A) - Kraig Urbik - Released after one season : Not a bad starting guard
3rd (B) - Mike Wallace - Near-elite WR : GONE
3rd (C) - Kennan Lewis - Good starting CB - GONE
4th - Traded with 2nd in this draft
5th - Joe Burnett - Cut after one year
5th - Frank Summers - Same : complete bust
6th - Sonny Harris - PS body - Long gone
7th - A.Q. Shipley - Undersized center - Long gone
7th - David Johnson - Still on team as #2 TE / #1 FB

- 2010 NFL Draft -

1st - Maurkice Pouncey - Elite center and several time Pro Bowler
2nd - Jason Worilds - Underachieved thus far with 0 sacks against an NFL Lineman.
3rd - Manny Sanders - Supposed to replace Santonio Holmes as go-to WR and playmaker. Showed promise; often injured. Been nothing more than #3 WR thus far

4th - Thaddus Gibson - claimed off waivers by SF during rookie season
5th - Chris Scott - Injured as rookie and waived
5th - Crezdon Butler - Made roster as rookie; waived before start of 2nd season
5th - Stevenson Sylvester - Still on roster, but nothing more than ST
6th - Jon Dwyer - Was supposed to be late 1st / early 2nd round pick in draft. Fell because of lack of work ethic. Not a reasonable #1 RB
6th - Antonio Brown - home run hit here. Going into this season as #1 WR; but is he a true #1?

7th - Doug Worthington - Never made it out of TC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is extremely alarming. In 2007, only the top two picks remain. No one from 2008 remain. Including a bust at WR in round 2, and a OLB in round 3 that never got a chance. 2009 has our 1st (nothing special) and an H-Back in round 7 left.

2010 isn't even promising. Glad we hit a home run with Pouncey but what was with the Worilds pick? He was a pure LE in a 4-3 in NCAA and had no experience at coming off the edge in a 3-4.

This team has one late round pick (5th and on) that's done anything since 2008. Clearly, our scouts aren't getting it done. Hell, they're missing big time on 2nd rounders to boot (sans Woodley). What the hell is going on?

Closed Thread