HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Alain Vigneault/coaching discussion thread - Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Boucher is the only guy I have interest in and I still think Cooper will be ultimately the better coach. Laviolette's message seemed to go stale pretty quickly with every team he has coached.

(Q, Babcock and MacLean are the only NHL guys I would take over Cooper for our team. Not one of them is anywhere close to getting fired.)

Old
03-15-2013, 12:08 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
On the intermission the TSN panel was talking about Boucher being on the hot seat and how the Lightning didn't want to let Cooper go as they might make him his replacement... man would that suck.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:08 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Boucher is a high offensive oriented coach. He does have defensive plays in his book but focuses on scoring, hence Tampa's ridiculous numbers. His failures are more hinged on Stevie Y - who is an average GM at best. Tampa has no defense, a backup goalie as their starter and a offense coach. It's not wonder they struggle. Boucher with our roster would have us blowing teams up on a nightly average. Keep in mind, he took a garbage Hamilton Bulldogs team and made them into a force.

That said, I like Laviolette too.
He's also not afraid to stick to a 1-3-1 either

03-15-2013, 12:12 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy27 View Post
Apparently Laviolette, Boucher, and Torts are all on the hotseat, in my opinion any of those guys would be a good replacement for AV
Boucher and Torts are both garbage.

Laviolette though...would jump directly to the top of my short-list if he were to become available. He's got a ring, he's taken the Flyers pretty far, he advocates exactly the sort of aggressive attacking style we want, and he's obviously quite flexible and open to the idea of using skilled young players to great effect. He's on the hot seat because he has a pretty miserable group of blueliners as a whole, an extremely inexperienced team for the most part, and most of all...just garbage goaltending. Give him a roster like we have, and he'd excel imo.

The real question is...if the Flyers are stupid enough to can him over this season's disappointment...does Gillis have the cajones to fire AV this year and bring in a new coach this late in a short season? Laviolette is probably the only coach i'd consider it for...and even then, it's really dicey. It'd be an extremely tough short adjustment period. But if it meant securing Laviolette's services for the future...would it be worth it?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Boucher and Torts are both garbage.

Laviolette though..
Laviolette or Ruff though?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 AM
mossey3535

Boucher would totally fit here. Can we get a semi-objective assessment of why he sucks? I don't think he does. When he got adequate goaltending from old man Roloson the team looked like a juggernaut.

I would take Laviollette because we don't need him to be good for years, we just need him to do what he did with Carolina, and then fire him just like every other team who has hired him did lol.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:21 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Laviolette would be my choice. Boucher is absolutely garbage... the amount of talent he has and how the team is still struggling
Lindback has been disgusting.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Boucher can coach. He took a Lightning team to within a game of the SCF. As Mossey pointed out, he had goaltending that year. Linebacker has talent, but gives up a bad goal a game. I totally think Boucher would thrive with the Canucks.

Don't want Tortorella, except to embarrass our jackass media. I don't think a personality like his holds a room more than a couple of years. I don't care whether its running a hockey team, a boardroom, or a restaurant, eventually that abrasive mess becomes a caricature of itself.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:31 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Boucher can coach. He took a Lightning team to within a game of the SCF. As Mossey pointed out, he had goaltending that year. Linebacker has talent, but gives up a bad goal a game. I totally think Boucher would thrive with the Canucks.

Don't want Tortorella, except to embarrass our jackass media. I don't think a personality like his holds a room more than a couple of years. I don't care whether its running a hockey team, a boardroom, or a restaurant, eventually that abrasive mess becomes a caricature of itself.
Which is fine, actually. Most coaches don't last more than a couple of years anyway. But still, Boucher or Cooper for me. Preferably the latter...

Old
03-15-2013, 12:50 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Point taken. Hold the room long enough to win a Cup and you can burn their kids' baby pictures for all I care.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:01 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Boucher would totally fit here. Can we get a semi-objective assessment of why he sucks? I don't think he does. When he got adequate goaltending from old man Roloson the team looked like a juggernaut.

I would take Laviollette because we don't need him to be good for years, we just need him to do what he did with Carolina, and then fire him just like every other team who has hired him did lol.
As far as i'm concerned...the biggest weakness with Boucher (and it's a big one), is that he doesn't seem capable of walking any sort of line between 'full bore offense' and '1-3-1 shell mode defense'. There's just no middleground with him. It's either 'full attack' or 'full defend'.

And colour me unimpressed that he managed to facilitate one of the best natural goal-scoring talents of our generation...into a goal-scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Which is fine, actually. Most coaches don't last more than a couple of years anyway. But still, Boucher or Cooper for me. Preferably the latter...
The thing is, it's not fine. Torts would be destroyed by our media a week into his stay with the kind of antics he pulls, and the players here wouldn't stand for it either.

But more than that...his style of gameplay is the completely opposite direction of where we would want to go if a defensive-oriented coach in AV isn't getting it done.

To me...Torts is everything we despise about AV...times a million, without any of the redeeming qualities.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Cooper or bust. I can't see Boucher getting fired, it's not his fault "Yz" handed him poisoned pill of a goalie.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:36 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Quoted from the PGT tonight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee
- Sitting on the lead - The Canucks really need to stop this crap. They have one of the worst winning percentages in the league this season when leading after the 1st and 2nd period. AV needs to realize that his "grind it out" strategy isn't working. I mean, Nashville almost rallied from a three goal deficit on us tonight. If the Preds can do this, offensive teams like the Hawks and Ducks will pick the Canucks apart in the playoffs. I know it's easier said than done (and will never happen), but AV needs to make sure the guys stay aggressive when we have the lead.
This x10000000.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:21 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
The thing is, it's not fine. Torts would be destroyed by our media a week into his stay with the kind of antics he pulls, and the players here wouldn't stand for it either.

But more than that...his style of gameplay is the completely opposite direction of where we would want to go if a defensive-oriented coach in AV isn't getting it done.

To me...Torts is everything we despise about AV...times a million, without any of the redeeming qualities.
Somehow, I doubt he would care anyway, as with the players. Guys like Kesler and Bieksa would love it probably.

But the point wasn't that I'd like to see Torts here, only that the part about losing the room in a few years wouldn't matter too much if you can get a Cup out of it.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:27 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Laviolette though...would jump directly to the top of my short-list if he were to become available. He's got a ring, he's taken the Flyers pretty far, he advocates exactly the sort of aggressive attacking style we want, and he's obviously quite flexible and open to the idea of using skilled young players to great effect. He's on the hot seat because he has a pretty miserable group of blueliners as a whole, an extremely inexperienced team for the most part, and most of all...just garbage goaltending. Give him a roster like we have, and he'd excel imo.

The real question is...if the Flyers are stupid enough to can him over this season's disappointment...does Gillis have the cajones to fire AV this year and bring in a new coach this late in a short season? Laviolette is probably the only coach i'd consider it for...and even then, it's really dicey. It'd be an extremely tough short adjustment period. But if it meant securing Laviolette's services for the future...would it be worth it?
The bolded is why I would absolutely take a chance with Lavy. I feel he could help this team reach their potential in ways that AV just hasn't.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Just wanted to give a heads up that the presser with AV after the practice today is quite a good one, about 5 min long with some interesting stuff, would encouraging people to check it out, its on canucks.com, the one with him wearing the millionaire shirt, its not up on you tube so I cant post it here.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Tiranis

Time to bring this back. Curious to see if anything happens at least with the assistants, even if not AV.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
jigsaw99

Bring Ballard back.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
#freeBallard...#fireAV

Old
03-16-2013, 11:57 PM
donutz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Time to bring this back. Curious to see if anything happens at least with the assistants, even if not AV.
I ask because I'm genuinely curious, what is the league record for most consecutive failed powerplays?

Old
03-16-2013, 11:58 PM
RezChi

With all the **** Bieksa does... Ballard still scratched.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
I have a cousin that has a degree in interpretive dance, and a book called "Coaching Hockey for Dummies". I think together, they could solve our head coaching issues.

I also have a half eaten bagel with cream cheese for our defensive/PK coach, and our offensive coach can be filled in for with a guy in a Easter Bunny costume who can't speak english...or swedish or french for that matter.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutz0r View Post
I ask because I'm genuinely curious, what is the league record for most consecutive failed powerplays?
Google says 65.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Google says 65.
woooo...we're over halfway there. Let's git'r done!

Old
03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Google says 65.
Time to best that record!

Closed Thread