HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Tired of the Oilers in the lottery?

View Poll Results: Does it annoy you to see the Oilers headed for another potential #1 overall pick?
Yes 222 71.38%
No 31 9.97%
Undecided/ Don't give a **** 58 18.65%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  #101
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 50
Not in the least, as it means they are being mismanaged to the ground.
Get all the #1 picks you want, you still need a mix of veteran savvy, steady defense, reliable goaltending and youth up front to win.

Right now they are missing on the vets and defense part of the equation. I'd honestly can Tambellini if the Oilers finish with another #1 pick.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:58 PM
  #102
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Because they've had three straight of the top talent available. Why not give them a top 5 pick? Still a great chance at a good player.

What's so hard about understanding that other bad teams can't have the top talent available, and potential superstars can't be distributed around the league evenly, because the other bottom feeders of the NHL have to wait for the EDMONTON OILERS to figure their **** out every year.

And the proof is in the standings is not quite as black and white as you make it out to be. First of all, last year Columbus was the worst team by a fair margin. They still had to surrender the first overall pick to Edmonton. Second of all, with the talent Edmonton is supposed to have, there's nothing stopping any bottom feeding team from winning a few games unexpectedly. If Edmonton is only worse than Columbus by two losses, that doesn't mean they're worse necessarily. It's entirely possible that Columbus had one lucky win and two more OTLs than the Oilers. Some of us actually enjoyed watching first overall talent go to other teams. Crosby to PIT, Johnson to STL, Kane to Chicago, Stamkos to TBL, Tavares to NYI...

what's so good about expecting that Mackinnon will go to Edmonton? Or Yakupov? Is it normal that the trend is going to become us saying, "there goes Sam Reinhart! Or Aaron Ekblad! He's gonna look GREAT on the Oilers! But just you wait! That Connor McDavid is going to be the one to FINALLY lift Edmonton out of the ashes!"

Because the way Edmonton keeps going, a statement like that isn't even technically ridiculous. When it should be.
This isn't entirely true. Isn't it a heavily weighted lottery? Another team can move up no? Besides, a team can make a trade with Edmonton (or another team in lower standings...) for that pick. If that happens, then Edmonton might get to fill some of their needs and the receiving team gets a high pick.

I'm not sure why a team should feel entitled to get a #1 pick anyway, if you are at that point your organization is either severely dysfuctional or needs to be blown up, which puts them 4-5 years away from serious contention. Seriously, we should empathize with Edmo fans that they are in a circus every year instead of gradually progressing toward contention.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:37 AM
  #103
canuck lover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
As a fan of the team it is frustrating and sucks but according to hf the secod or third overall pick is better to have anyway. So if we get last maybe we get lucky and draft second.

Tyler > Taylor
Landeskog > RNH
Galchenyuk > Yakupov

canuck lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:42 AM
  #104
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
I'm indifferent to it TBH. Their management is the reason they will continue to be a lottery team.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:46 AM
  #105
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
What's so hard about understanding that other bad teams can't have the top talent available, and potential superstars can't be distributed around the league evenly, because the other bottom feeders of the NHL have to wait for the EDMONTON OILERS to figure their **** out every year.
When you finish near the bottom of the league, you deserve the best players. It's a key part of parity. If you don't want the same teams to end up there, allow them to get better. Edmonton has tried through UFA, RFA, trades, etc... Every single possible avenue. All they have is the draft. Let Edmonton sign fully-developed elite talent like Kovalchuk or Hossa and then you can draft undeveloped guys who could potentially be decent at 1st overall.

It was because of people crying about tanking that we had the lottery rule, which allowed the Oilers to jump ahead of the much more deserving Blue Jackets. Poetic justice. More crying happened and now we have the expanded lottery rule. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, I hope it happens again.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:47 AM
  #106
jgoud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck lover View Post
As a fan of the team it is frustrating and sucks but according to hf the secod or third overall pick is better to have anyway. So if we get last maybe we get lucky and draft second.

Tyler > Taylor
Landeskog > RNH
Galchenyuk > Yakupov
Thats a joke, right?


Last edited by spiny norman: 03-15-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: not needed
jgoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 AM
  #107
canuck lover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Thats a joke, right?
I was just saying according to hf those players are better


Last edited by spiny norman: 03-15-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: qmep
canuck lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:12 AM
  #108
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,715
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck lover View Post
I was just saying according to hf those players are better
Well, according to HF Eberle >> Hall yet the majority of Oiler fans knew otherwise. Somehow people actually thought looking at the points standings made them more knowledgeable than fans who watched all the games both of them played.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:59 AM
  #109
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck lover View Post
I was just saying according to hf those players are better
HF couldn't tell its ### from its elbow half of the time. This is also the place where Mark Messier sucks, Paul Coffey is a top 5 all time defenseman, and Pavel Datsyuk is better than Sidney Crosby.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 AM
  #110
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,246
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
When you finish near the bottom of the league, you deserve the best players. It's a key part of parity. If you don't want the same teams to end up there, allow them to get better. Edmonton has tried through UFA, RFA, trades, etc... Every single possible avenue. All they have is the draft. Let Edmonton sign fully-developed elite talent like Kovalchuk or Hossa and then you can draft undeveloped guys who could potentially be decent at 1st overall.

It was because of people crying about tanking that we had the lottery rule, which allowed the Oilers to jump ahead of the much more deserving Blue Jackets. Poetic justice. More crying happened and now we have the expanded lottery rule. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, I hope it happens again.
I'm sure Edmonton has tried VERY hard to land UFAs and trade targets. Poor Tambo is a terrific GM but he just can't catch any breaks. 29 teams failed to get Kovalchuk. 29 teams failed to get Hossa.

How do teams like say...Dallas. Who don't have any first overall studs manage to make the playoffs? What big name UFAs did they sign? What big name trades did they make?

I fully support parity and I support high draft picks going to crap teams, but I also support the prevention of talent monopoly. Which is exactly what the Oilers are doing (granted with a funny success rate so far). Why can't Edmonton have,say, the second overall pick if they bomb out this year? Is Seth Jones that much worse than Nathan Mackinnon? Is Nail Yakupov that much better than Alex Galchenyuk (shouldn't be directing this question to an Oiler fan, but no he's not head and shoulders above Nail)? Is Tyler Seguin that much worse than Taylor Hall? Is Gabriel Landeskog or Jonathan Huberdeau that much worse than RNH? No. This stupid WE NEED THE TOP PICK CAUSE WE'RE SUFFERING has overstayed its welcome by now.

Edmonton has been recompensed with the top talent possible quite enough times now. I see nothing wrong with an opportunity at Jones, Drouin, or Barkov. Hell maybe someone takes someone other than Mackinnon first overall and you get your guy anyway. As a fan of a sports team or two, generally I've discovered that when a large mass of fans are aggravated by something that has to do with my team (Ducks being dirty in 06-07, Lakers being led by a ballhog for example) there's generally some kind of truth behind it. If I was an Oiler fan I wouldn't just be embarrassed by these consistent poor finishes, the thought of "fourth straight first overall pick" would make me feel absolutely disgusting. I can't bear the thought of the Ducks being in the hole so bad that we have to pick first TWICE, let alone four times.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:18 AM
  #111
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
IMO no. They are in the worst shape franchise wise this decade. The fans deserve some leeway for watching brutal hockey.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:07 AM
  #112
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?
 
Sour Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: pgh-original 12 Team
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
not tired of it at all...i hope they get the #1 again tbh.

Sour Shoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:37 AM
  #113
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm sure Edmonton has tried VERY hard to land UFAs and trade targets. Poor Tambo is a terrific GM but he just can't catch any breaks. 29 teams failed to get Kovalchuk. 29 teams failed to get Hossa.

How do teams like say...Dallas. Who don't have any first overall studs manage to make the playoffs? What big name UFAs did they sign? What big name trades did they make?

I fully support parity and I support high draft picks going to crap teams, but I also support the prevention of talent monopoly. Which is exactly what the Oilers are doing (granted with a funny success rate so far). Why can't Edmonton have,say, the second overall pick if they bomb out this year? Is Seth Jones that much worse than Nathan Mackinnon? Is Nail Yakupov that much better than Alex Galchenyuk (shouldn't be directing this question to an Oiler fan, but no he's not head and shoulders above Nail)? Is Tyler Seguin that much worse than Taylor Hall? Is Gabriel Landeskog or Jonathan Huberdeau that much worse than RNH? No. This stupid WE NEED THE TOP PICK CAUSE WE'RE SUFFERING has overstayed its welcome by now.

Edmonton has been recompensed with the top talent possible quite enough times now. I see nothing wrong with an opportunity at Jones, Drouin, or Barkov. Hell maybe someone takes someone other than Mackinnon first overall and you get your guy anyway. As a fan of a sports team or two, generally I've discovered that when a large mass of fans are aggravated by something that has to do with my team (Ducks being dirty in 06-07, Lakers being led by a ballhog for example) there's generally some kind of truth behind it. If I was an Oiler fan I wouldn't just be embarrassed by these consistent poor finishes, the thought of "fourth straight first overall pick" would make me feel absolutely disgusting. I can't bear the thought of the Ducks being in the hole so bad that we have to pick first TWICE, let alone four times.
To be fair the majority of Edmonton fans didn't want the last 1st overall. We were VERY happy to have not finished last in the league and were even more extatic over the fact we improved by 12 points from the previous season. When the lottery came up and Edmonton won many fans, like myself, felt bad for CBJ fans as they deserved ti have their pick of the draft for 1st overall.

Nobody here wanted to tie the league record for 3 consecutive 1st overall picks. Nobody is happy with the potential of another top 5 pick if the kids don't start picking things up. I also highly doubt we get a 4th 1st overall unless the new lottery gives it to us...and hopefully we'll be placing somewhere around the 10th overall so it would be quite a jump.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:48 AM
  #114
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Doesn't really effect me.

I do find it strange how the city of Edmonton celebrates failure, though. To them, finishing last place is like winning the Cup. They hold draft lottery parties and celebrate like they just scored a Game 7 Cup winning GWG when they win it.

Again, to each their own, I just find it strange.
^This right here.

They are all in here saying the right thing to save face but come draft time will all have a smugg attitude and demand nothing less than half your team +best player just to trade down two spots in the top 5.

We'll see though right. Watch the trade proposals section here on HF after the draft order announcment.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
  #115
KA BLAMO
.....
 
KA BLAMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 50
Don't care.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:05 AM
  #116
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,649
vCash: 500
Here is a collection of Steve Tambellini's NHL acquisitions (not including draft picks... this is just trades/signings of NHL players).

source
Quote:
Steve MacIntyre

Jesse Boulerice

Ryan Stone

Patrick O'Sullivan

Ales Kotalik

Ryan Whitney

Ryan Jones

Aaron Johnson

Colin Fraser

Jim Vandermeer

Kurtis Foster

Alexandre Giroux

Shawn Belle

Martin Gerber

Colten Teubert

Taylor Fedun

Corey Potter

Eric Belanger

Andy Sutton

Ben Eager

Lennart Petrell

Nick Schultz

Cam Barker

Bryan Rodney

Josh Green

Mark Fistric

Justin Schultz

Ryan Smyth

Mike Brown
Ryan Whitney is the only conceivable top-4 defenseman (and it cost them a top-4 d to acquire him), and Kotalik/O'Sullivan are the closest things to a top-6 forward.

You can't draft your way out of that pile of crap.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
  #117
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Here is a collection of Steve Tambellini's NHL acquisitions (not including draft picks... this is just trades/signings of NHL players).

source


Ryan Whitney is the only conceivable top-4 defenseman (and it cost them a top-4 d to acquire him), and Kotalik/O'Sullivan are the closest things to a top-6 forward.

You can't draft your way out of that pile of crap.
Part of the problem is that they didn't start with much of value and aren't giving up much of value. You need to build value before you can achieve anything.

And the attempt at building value is dicey. Depending on your perspective, it's damning or about to pay off. I lean closer to damning. NHL players drafted since the lockout:
Petry
Peckham
Gagner
Eberle
MPS
Hall
Hopkins
Yakupov
maybe Hartikainen

The jury's still out on some guys, but they had three first rounders in 2007 and only got Gagner. Petry and Eberle are the only "plus" picks they made at all. As good as "the big four" are and have the potential to be, there are four or five teams with whom you might swap entire drafts for those years and have a more complete core.

On the flip side, check out when the last three champions started building their current cores. Chicago: 2002 with Duncan Keith. Boston: 2003 with Bergeron. LA: They got Brown in 2003, but the real year is 2005 with Kopitar and Quick.
If you mark it as 2007 for Gagner or 2008 for Eberle, it was five or six years ago. Five years after drafting Keith, the Hawks picked Kane first overall and they picked 11th the following year. The Bruins had a weird cycle because they got Chara, but they still picked 5th and 8th three and four years after they started their core with Bergeron. Four-six years after drafting Brown, LA picked 4th, 2nd, and 5th.

I still think the Oilers need a new GM, but with current build cycles, the Oilers should expect to be bad right now. The big difference is that they started off really bad, the year when they had three first rounders was a perfect storm of a shallow year and bad picks, and they haven't managed to draft impact defense or goaltending.

If (and that's a huge "if") they can get a homerun defensive pick this year, some of their later round picks from the past couple of years pan out, and they can move one of their young forwards for the proper depth, they'll be dangerous. Even with signing Schultz, they're on the precipice. These things have to start happening immediately (this offseason) and keep happening for another two years until they're a contender.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
  #118
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,469
vCash: 500
**** no. I want the oilers in the lottery for the next decade.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
  #119
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Here is a collection of Steve Tambellini's NHL acquisitions (not including draft picks... this is just trades/signings of NHL players).

source


Ryan Whitney is the only conceivable top-4 defenseman (and it cost them a top-4 d to acquire him), and Kotalik/O'Sullivan are the closest things to a top-6 forward.

You can't draft your way out of that pile of crap.
It looks a lot worse when you include minor league players like Alex Giroux in the list, but yes, he hasn't been able to get a top 4 d-man or top 6 forward. For the sake of the "rebuild", I don't think he's really been going for those types of players. The O'Sullivan and Kotalik deals didn't end up good, but most of the rest of the guys on that list are obvious bottom six forwards or AHL'ers.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  #120
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,198
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

You can't draft your way out of that pile of crap.
Not completely out. But good drafting and acquiring better pieces through trades is absolutely possible.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
  #121
kammyBlazer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
It's a joke to see how terrible they still are with all of those #1 picks.

They would be set if they traded one of those guys for a bonafide D man and a half decent goalie.

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
  #122
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,830
vCash: 200
$100 says if they get the first pick they take Drouin over Jones!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
  #123
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Jerk Store's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,199
vCash: 500
They should be sent down to the AHL for what they're doing. There should be a rule against this. I've been saying for some time now that Tambellini is the worst GM in the league.

Jerk Store is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  #124
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
$100 says if they get the first pick they take Drouin over Jones!
If we do pick 1/2 and we do that... I will personally burn down Tambo's house and the Oilers headquarters.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
  #125
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,246
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
To be fair the majority of Edmonton fans didn't want the last 1st overall. We were VERY happy to have not finished last in the league and were even more extatic over the fact we improved by 12 points from the previous season. When the lottery came up and Edmonton won many fans, like myself, felt bad for CBJ fans as they deserved ti have their pick of the draft for 1st overall.

Nobody here wanted to tie the league record for 3 consecutive 1st overall picks. Nobody is happy with the potential of another top 5 pick if the kids don't start picking things up. I also highly doubt we get a 4th 1st overall unless the new lottery gives it to us...and hopefully we'll be placing somewhere around the 10th overall so it would be quite a jump.
I'm sure no Oilers fans WANTED this to happen, that's not the point I'm trying to make. If my team was in the running for a second straight first overall pick, I'd be avoiding these discussions like the plague, not trying to justify things.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.