HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Corey Crawford vs Antti Niemi

View Poll Results: Niemo or Crawford?
Antti Niemi 60 78.95%
Corey Crawford 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

vCash: 500
Corey Crawford vs Antti Niemi

pick

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:57 PM
CanadienShark

Nemo for sure.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Leidi J

Crawford gets all the hype cause of the blackhawks streak. But Nemo has been carrying the Sharks on his back basically the whole season. I've seen him have some streaks of playing like this, but he has just been ridiculous this season.

Maybe I'm biased as I watch every Sharks game, but i've watched a bunch of blackhawks games too. crawford is great and has improved so much on last year's performances, but he gets a lot more help if not from his defense than just from the fact that his team is scoring and average of 3 goals a game, 6th in the league. Niemi is expected to pitch a shutout every night in order for his team to win since the sharks are the third WORST scoring team in the league right now... there's still a lot of season left to go, but Niemi's got this right now.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
Crawford gets all the hype cause of the blackhawks streak. But Nemo has been carrying the Sharks on his back basically the whole season. I've seen him have some streaks of playing like this, but he has just been ridiculous this season.

Maybe I'm biased as I watch every Sharks game, but i've watched a bunch of blackhawks games too. crawford is great and has improved so much on last year's performances, but he gets a lot more help if not from his defense than just from the fact that his team is scoring and average of 3 goals a game, 6th in the league. Niemi is expected to pitch a shutout every night in order for his team to win since the sharks are the third WORST scoring team in the league right now... there's still a lot of season left to go, but Niemi's got this right now.
Crawford doesn't get any hype around here, and he doesn't deserve any.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:49 AM
pdd

Looks like I'm alone on this one...

I've been of the opinion Crawford>Niemi for years. Chicago definitely ended up with the right goalie - and it shows in the fact that they are tearing up the league.

No, he's probably not the league's best.

But he's sure as hell better than Niemi. Reverse their situations, I bet their teams would be closer in the standings.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Evincar
I have found the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

I've been of the opinion Crawford>Niemi for years. Chicago definitely ended up with the right goalie - and it shows in the fact that they are tearing up the league.

But he's sure as hell better than Niemi. Reverse their situations, I bet their teams would be closer in the standings.
Chicago isnt tearing it up because of Crawford. Look at Emery's numbers.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Leidi J

Quote:

hahahahaha NO. i would entertain the argument that they are close if someone wanted to back that up. but this is not an AINEC for crawford, gimme a break.

I can say with confidence that I honestly cannot see a "better" goalie (if your claiming that's what crawford is) helping the sharks at all in the standings. they haven't been losing because of poor goaltending, or even average goaltending. Niemi has single-handely gotten them points when the rest of the team looked like **** and is the ONLY reason that the Sharks are not bottom feeding right now and I don't think any sharks fan who has been watching would disagree with that.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:43 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Corey Crawford, the guy's getting under-rated.

03-15-2013, 08:12 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Chicago isnt tearing it up because of Crawford. Look at Emery's numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Crawford doesn't get any hype around here, and he doesn't deserve any.
So far this year, Corey Crawford has a 0.940sv% at even strength.

Last year, Lundqvist and Quick tied with a 0.933sv% at even strength.

Tim Thomas set the modern era record with a 0.944sv% at even strength.

So far this year, Crawford has significantly outplayed what Lundqvist/Quick did last season when they competed for the Vezina and he's almost at the same level Thomas was at when he set the record.

Emery is at a 0.926sv% at even strength..

Quote:

Crawford is not better than Niemi. What has he done other than had a great start to this season, and completely **** the bed last year?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Crawford is not better than Niemi. What has he done other than had a great start to this season, and completely **** the bed last year?
Crawford is one of the few reasons the 2010-2011 Blackhawks made the playoffs at all, let alone pushed the heavily-favorited Canucks to Game 7 OT. Pretty much no one was playing defense in front of him that year.

That being said, I'd take Niemi, mostly for his clearly superior skating. His side to side play has always been better than Crawford's, and when he loses his position/footing he gets back a lot faster than Crawford does.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Niemi for me. Not crazy about Crawford

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:02 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
It's tough. Niemi is a bit more skilled, therefore "better", but I'm taking Crawford all day. Crawford is consistent, Niemi is way up and down. The highs are Hasek like, tons of shutouts. The lows are like Mason, may not make it through the game without getting pulled. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Niemi near the top of the league in pullings. I wonder if there is a stat on that.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Niemi pretty easily.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's tough. Niemi is a bit more skilled, therefore "better", but I'm taking Crawford all day. Crawford is consistent, Niemi is way up and down. The highs are Hasek like, tons of shutouts. The lows are like Mason, may not make it through the game without getting pulled. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Niemi near the top of the league in pullings. I wonder if there is a stat on that.
You can check the GS vs GP on www.nhl.com. Niemi has been pulled once (against the Blues) for third-string goaltender Alex Stalock after blowing a 3-1 lead five minutes in the 3rd period; he gave up two weak goals to Sobotka about a minute apart (both hit him and then went in the net). Greiss has started 4 games and has not been pulled.

Crawford was pulled the other night after giving up five goals, although it's difficult to fault him on any of them; the defense was allowing Colorado to stand around in scoring position and wasn't cutting off passing lanes. The worst of it was McGinn's goal. It was a long pass from Parenteau out of Colorado's zone, out of his reach, that Duchene won the race to on the end boards behind Crawford. McGinn literally skated so that he was maybe five or ten feet away from Crawford, took the pass, and just stood there - with Chicago defensemen in the area - waiting for Crawford to flinch. It's like all of the bad defensive plays that have been not happening to this point in the season stacked up and occured in the first two periods of that game. That play was absolutely mind boggling.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Has to be Niemi. He's been our MVP 100%.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 152
I've liked Crawford for a couple years now. I think he's underrated around here.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:48 PM
GenericHawksName
HJammer

Just remember that Niemi barely beat out Huet during the cup run for #1 goalie

GenericHawksName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
McBaevid
Lottery Dynasty

Niemi easily, throw Niemi on the current blackhawks and they'd probably be doing as good if not better.

McBaevid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
LSnow

Niemi was always better, but not by much. Both have the ability to play awesome or be super super awful.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Arrch

Quote:
You can check the GS vs GP on www.nhl.com.
Using the difference between their backups GS vs GP it's a bit dicey due to injuries and a team having more than 2 goalies, but I come up with this:

2012/2013
Niemi - 1 in 22 starts
Crawford - 1 in 16 starts (Stats say two but I think one was due to injury, right?)

2011/2012
Niemi - 5 in 68 starts
Crawford - 7 in 55 starts

2010/2011
Niemi - 3 in 60 starts
Crawford - 2 in 57 starts

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Niemi but the Hawks made the correct decision to not pay Niemi and keep Hjalmarsson (and thus go with Crawford).

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
The one that won the Hawks a cup.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:28 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericHawksName View Post
Just remember that Niemi barely beat out Huet during the cup run for #1 goalie
Because clearly goalies are incapable of improving.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

close, but when in doubt, go with the Finn

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:59 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:

So you're saying that if Niemi, who was just runner-up to Anderson in half-season Vezina voting, we're replaced by Crawford, the Sharks would be.........better? Blows my mind sometimes to see the things some people honestly believe. Niemi is the ONLY reason the Sharks are even in the playoff hunt right now. We are the lowest scoring team in the league I think. He is good every night for us. Very, very consistent this year. Wouldn't want anyone else in there right now.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote