HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NICK DIAZ vs GSP UFC 158

Old
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
NICK DIAZ vs GSP UFC 158

Okay so I took the liberty of making a pre-fight talk thread for saturday's fight. This fight will in my opinion be the most brutal GSP will have ever fought. It will be interesting to see how GSP is able to handle his emotions and keep his cool during the fight, because it's clear that Diaz is angering GSP and that his strategy seemed to have an effect on George today.

For those who missed the press conference today

I'm really looking forward to seeing Hendricks vs Condit. If Hendricks finishes this fight like he did vs Kampmann he will be a very serious candidate for GSP.

Ellenberger vs Marquardt

Ring vs Camozzi

Not on the main card but it will be interesting to see Patrick Côté try to win this fight and remain in the UFC.

May the best cage fighter win!

Last edited by Alexdaman: 03-14-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
I find myself drifting further and further away from interest in the UFC and MMA in general. However, after catching a bit of the press conference today I'm not a fan of Nick Diaz and hope he loses.

Odds are, a lot of it is just an act, but he really comes off as a child and I don't see how it would be good for a sport trying to distance itself from "WWE" and gain respectability amongst the people who find it vulgar.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 500
I'm rooting hard for Hendricks.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I find myself drifting further and further away from interest in the UFC and MMA in general. However, after catching a bit of the press conference today I'm not a fan of Nick Diaz and hope he loses.

Odds are, a lot of it is just an act, but he really comes off as a child and I don't see how it would be good for a sport trying to distance itself from "WWE" and gain respectability amongst the people who find it vulgar.
I think the UFC in order to stay fresh needs to have a broader home base than just Canada, the USA and Brazil. Like boxing doesn't have a brand itself, it simply is boxing. Mixed martial arts needs to have this status where it's more than just a product.

GSP is often been critical of the way MMA is being sold and the huge lack of respect the fighters have for each other.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:12 AM
coolasprICE

Not a big fan of this sport but I will watch GSP

Not sure if this kind of talk is common place but I do find press like this makes the sport look like a circus show

Quote:
Nick Diaz tells Toronto radio station Georges St-Pierre is 'on plenty of steroids'
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/14...e-is-on-plenty

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not a big fan of this sport but I will watch GSP

Not sure if this kind of talk is common place but I do find press like this makes the sport look like a circus show

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/14...e-is-on-plenty
I agree sadly it seems the UFC only wants to sell to sell the sport of MMA, to criminals and thugs.

MMA is a very complex form of fighting that encompasses martial arts that individually require respect from its fighters. It would be shame if it disappears in a quagmire of controversy.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think the UFC in order to stay fresh needs to have a broader home base than just Canada, the USA and Brazil. Like boxing doesn't have a brand itself, it simply is boxing. Mixed martial arts needs to have this status where it's more than just a product.

GSP is often been critical of the way MMA is being sold and the huge lack of respect the fighters have for each other.
That's always been the way of the UFC. Huge hype, always. It's all about marketing and making cash. If it wasn't, then there wouldn't be as many ''The Ultimate Fighter'', and all other fight events. I mean, over an 8year period, it'll be 20 ultimate fighters (including the Brazil Part II).
It's always been more about quantity over quality with the UFC.

Back in the Pride FC days, there were less events, but I found them a lot more entertaining. They were respectful and there wasn't that big american hype.
That's the American culture though. It's all about trash talk and rivalries.

Diaz vs GSP should have happened a while ago.
In any event, GSP wins and can anybody really call anything else than a unanimous decision??

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
FireBergevin
FireSavard

Quote:

If Nick Diaz followed hockey he'd be a Bruins fan(and not just for the fights). He whined and made excuses for not showing up for his commitments because he had cuts on his face "and they're over there powdering GSP's face". He also had some strange rant about not being featured in any magazines right now(I guess he went to the bookstore and checked for articles on himself).

Now I know the dude has severe social anxiety disorder, and probably aspergers syndrome, but I don't think that's any excuse for his incoherent rambling nonsense. This guy seems legitimately disturbed.

I want him to lose, and in the most humiliating fashion imaginable.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Saundies

I'm kinda worried because this is looking a lot like Rocky 3, where the clean-cut hero champ Rocky (GSP) is rolling through guys easily until he has to fight a tough guy from the streets with a chip on his shoulder Clubber Lang (Diaz) and gets KTFO.

Fortunately, I think it ends up like their second fight in that movie and GSP TKOs Diaz in the 2nd. *SPOILER ALERT*

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
FireBergevin
FireSavard

Side note: Raphael Diaz is faking his injury because he heard GSP was back in Montreal to fight him.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Swarez

Quote:

I find myself drifting away from MMA too. Not really paying attention to GSP/Silva etc like I was a couple years ago. But for some reason I just like Diaz- he's a bit crazy, and I like crazy in my fighters.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:58 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Im pretty sure Diaz isn't acting saying all this stuff, he usually gets very childish in the ring after a loss.. just seems the way he is

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Yeah but Clubber Lang was uber-focused and just a bad mother****er. Diaz is a pot-headed attention *****. I don't see it.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:09 AM
FireBergevin
FireSavard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Yeah but Clubber Lang was uber-focused and just a bad mother****er. Diaz is a pot-headed attention *****. I don't see it.
How can he be a pot head if he has enough drive to train for an MMA title fight?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:20 AM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Not a big UFC guy but man do I every wanna see GSP take him to school. GSP is nothing but respectful and professional, and while he may talk a bit, it's never outrageous claims about roids. My brother's friend is a wrestler who got the chance to train with GSP and he says all the guy does is work. The only breaks he takes is to see his family and go to the club (where he drinks water in the VIP). He's 100% focused.

I heard the Sid and Tim podcast with Nick Diaz and when Diaz accused GSP of taking steroids, Sid asked him if he would guarantee that he (Diaz) would be 100% clean after the fight, and Diaz said he "isn't guaranteeing anything". Please, what an idiot.

Edit: Also no offense to any Quebecois, but I couldn't help but laugh when GSP started chirping Diaz with his thick accent. "You think I'm scared of you? We will see saturday" in GSP's voice just cracks me up, I don't know why.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Habs

Quote:
Agreed, they pre-fight hype is getting out of hand, really weak and I've started to lose interest.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
How can he be a pot head if he has enough drive to train for an MMA title fight?
Ask him that, he said he wasn't sure he'd pass the commission's piss test during the press conference. I didn't make it up.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Mrb1p

Haaaah, UFC... My old enemy.

I'm not going to tell you guys you shouldn't watch it...

But I'm going to tell you that this is a travesty to what a sport should be, just like boxing.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:37 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

I ****ing hate Nick Diaz. I really hope GSP destroys him. Such a trash talking idiot. What boggles my mind is how this guy has so many fanboys with an undying love for him.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I ****ing hate Nick Diaz. I really hope GSP destroys him. Such a trash talking idiot. What boggles my mind is how this guy has so many fanboys with an undying love for him.
If he gets the beating he deserves he will soon fade out in a sea of drugs and alcohol and one day he will be featured in an episode of cops.

This guy is total junk, yes he's good fighter but the only reason he's fighting GSP is because it will sell tickets. Hendricks should of gotten the fight.

Since he lost to Condit he hasn't had a single fight, the UFC is running out of good fighters, like I said earlier the UFC needs to broaden their fanbase.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Moklok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post

Since he lost to Condit he hasn't had a single fight, the UFC is running out of good fighters, like I said earlier the UFC needs to broaden their fanbase.
Diaz didnt fight for awhile cause he was banned for 1 year. Also, while the judges gave the victory to Condit, a ton of people consider Diaz the winner. Wouldnt be the first time judges ****ed up.

Oh and IIRC Hendricks was gonna get the fight, but GSP requested Diaz. This fight wasnt UFC's idea, it was GSP's.

Moklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
LyricalLyricist

Diaz is annoying. The guy instigates then can't take a comeback. He cries so much. Oh my god. I get it if the guy has a hard life or whatever but damn, guy instigates constantly then pulls victim card with irrelevant things. Can't put sentences together either.

Not to mention, he doesn't even fight with class. Yells and insults people during fights. For whatever reason, he's just not someone that's easy to like.

Yells about steroids on GSP and it's moronic. Annoying.

Besides GSP being the guy most of us want to win, anyone but Diaz. Condit, Hendricks, etc... are guys I don't mind. I just don't want to see Diaz again, so annoying.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moklok View Post
Diaz didnt fight for awhile cause he was banned for 1 year. Also, while the judges gave the victory to Condit, a ton of people consider Diaz the winner. Wouldnt be the first time judges ****ed up.

Oh and IIRC Hendricks was gonna get the fight, but GSP requested Diaz. This fight wasnt UFC's idea, it was GSP's.
Condit won that fight.

Condit outlanded Diaz in total strikes 146 to 110
Diaz outlanded Condit 86 to 42 in total arm strikes landed
Condit outlanded Diaz 104 to 19 in total leg strikes landed

Especially considering Diaz is overwhelmingly a boxing guy.

Yeah GSP requested Diaz but since when does champs have the right to choose everyone they want to fight? The UFC didn't oppose it simply because they knew it would sell more ppv.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
gunners14henry

What GSP wants GSP gets. I felt that it should've been Hendricks vs GSP and Diaz vs Condit/Macdonald.

Here's a picture I found pretty amusing

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:40 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 212
Diaz can't even make sure he's going to pass the drug test and he's claiming GSP is on 'plenty of roids.' I hope GSP kicks his ass on Saturday.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote