HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Nalyd Psycho

vCash: 500
Dave Kerr was my planned pick. Must reevaluate.

03-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
One of my all-time favorites for Leaf.

Bill Goldsworthy, RW

Than hey can someone post a link to his bio for me

On my bb10 with little comp access outside of work

John Tonelli- Mario Lemieux- Rick Martin
John LeClair- Mats Sundin - Alex Mogilny
Gaye Stewart- Dale Huner- Tod Sloan
Bob Davidson - Pit Martin- BILL Goldsworthy
XXXXXX

Valerie Vasiiev- Guy Lapointe
Randy Carlyle- Shea Weber
Wally Stanowski- Hobey Baker
XXXXXX

Johnny Bower
Lorne Chabot
XXXXXX

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 03-15-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I guess this is a good place to be a homer. As I need a goalie who can play a fair amount of regular season minutes and doesn't need to play in the post season. The Minnesota Fighting Saints select, Roberto Luongo, G.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I guess this is a good place to be a homer. As I need a goalie who can play a fair amount of regular season minutes and doesn't need to play in the post season. The Minnesota Fighting Saints select, Roberto Luongo, G.
Let the trade rumors begin!

Old
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
I don't want to pump his tires () but he can definitely do that job for ya.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'd rather have him as a backup than Kerr. Sure, Kerr's better in the playoffs, but who cares about the playoffs when you're talking about a backup?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
That's exactly who I wanted for the same reasoning.

Pittsburgh will take G, John Ross Roach

Link to TDMM's bio last year

Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'd rather have him as a backup than Kerr. Sure, Kerr's better in the playoffs, but who cares about the playoffs when you're talking about a backup?
Especially when Billy Smith is starting.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Rob Scuderi

642 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears - Ron Sutter, C
643 Velociraptor - Trail Smoke Eaters - Ab McDonald, LW
644 Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs - Bill Goldsworthy, RW
645 Nalyd Psycho & Mike Farkas - Minnesota Fighting Saints - Roberto Luongo, G
646 Bring Back Scuderi - Pittsburgh Athletic Club - John Ross Roach, G

Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
SchultzSquared

Kenora picks Harry Sinden, Assistant Coach... Someone PM for us?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Kenora picks Harry Sinden, Assistant Coach... Someone PM for us?
Done

Old
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM
DoMakc

HC Donbass selects Mike Keane, RW

Old
03-15-2013, 03:27 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

The Montreal Canadiens listpick goalie Al Rollins.

edit: Hobnobs has been PMed.

Last edited by Sturminator: 03-15-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 05:13 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I just completed a really long bio on Rejean Houle: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=170

I knew that he was used to shadow Bobby Hull after Claude Provost retired, did a little research into him last year, and was really impressed by what I found. Wanted to draft him, but got scooped by LeafsForever.

I'm happy to have him now, especially with Bobby Hull in my division. I pulled a lot of newspaper articles from 1971 that rave about the shadowing job that Houle did. Sports Illustrated's summary of the 1971 playoffs more or less said that Houle was the second most important Canadien in the playoffs after Smythe-winning Ken Dryden because of his work shadowing Bobby Hull (and Johnny Bucyk in an earlier series). There are also many references to Houle as a shadow and a utility player who could play all three forward positions throughout his career.

I think Houle's tenure as an awful GM overshadowed what he did as a player, and his playing career became pretty underrated as a result.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I just stumbled across this picture, and well, I have to share it:

Old
03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I'm also a pretty big fan of this one:

Again...no comment. Just soak in the awesomeness.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:42 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
But I did watch them play. I didn't catch every game of every world championship in the 80's, but I watched all of the Canada Cups and pretty much all of the Olympic hockey that was broadcast. I can tell you that by the middle of the 80's, the Czech national team had become a disgrace...but you're right that they were still competitive in the first half of the decade against a somewhat weakened Soviet team. The Czechoslovak team in the early 80's was, indeed, sustained by a generation of talent that I do think is underrated here.
This is what you keep saying - but it doesn't seem to be based on reality at all; post Lake Placid they were more dominant than ever before AND THERE ARE THE STATISTICS TO PROVE THIS YOU KNOW! For starters, USSR lost only two world championship games in the 1980s (both in 1985 when they were suffering from injuries), whereas in the 1970s, they lost ELEVEN - and not only to Czechoslovakia. Maybe at their best (1973 WC, 1975 WC, 1978 WC and certainly 1979 WC), they showed the consistency of the 1980s Soviets, but how do you explain their numerous failures?

I think you rely way too much on your memory or something. I've got no reason to pimp the 1980s team (as I grew with and loved the team that had Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Balderis etc.), rather the opposite, but I don't like to lie to myself either, when the evidence is in front of me. I've watched a lot of games both from 1970s and 1980s, and for some strange reason, the 1980s teams generally look better! I don't care if the 1970s team looks better on paper. You really think that any Soviet team from the 1980s would have in any conditions lost to that poorly-prepared Team Canada of 1972? Or twice to Sweden like in the 1977 WC? Well, I don't.

And BTW, yeah, the Soviets always tried 'really' hard to beat Czechoslovakia, if and when they had already secured the world championship. If you look at the results from the WCs of the early 1980s, you see that the Soviets first beat Czechoslovakia easily, and only their 2nd game was 'close', like the final round game in the 1982 World Championships in Finland; was it poster Zine who claimed that Larionov had said somewhere that they were told not to 'try too hard' (or even forbidden to score?) in that game. True or not, the game (0-0 tie) was an absolute disgrace, and so Czechoslovakia got the silver medal (over Canada). In the 1981 and 1983 WC too, an easy Soviet win was followed by a tie (EDIT: although in 1983, they still had to beat Canada in their last game which they did by a score of 8-2).

Last edited by VMBM: 03-15-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
This is what you keep saying - but it doesn't seem to be based on reality at all; post Lake Placid they were more dominant than ever before AND THERE ARE THE STATISTICS TO PROVE THIS YOU KNOW!
The win-loss records prove nothing, as the Soviets' chief competition (Czechoslovakia) was also weaker in the 80's, having lost its upper-tier of superstars to retirement or defection without replacing them with players of similar quality. And the Canadians went back to fielding all-star style teams when playing the Soviets, built more to look good than to win.

By the 1980's, the Soviets had learned to play a much more North American style of hockey, and were quite effective as a team under the iron hand of Tikhonov, as opposed to the relative chaos of the 1970's in the period between Tarasov and Tikhonov (1972-78) when the team lacked clear direction, had wierd internal conflicts (Mikhailov being captain of the national team but not CSKA for a while, Petrov's suspension, etc.) and shuffled players around quite a bit. This was the period when the Soviet national team had the most struggles, and it is not a coincidence, nor a reflection on the skill of the players, which is only one factor in the performance of a team.

You are right in the sense that I shouldn't talk about the Soviet team necessarily being weakened, because in many ways it was not. It was made up of generally less talented players (with the exception of the top two defensemen), but these players had been trained in some skills that were notably lacking among the vast majority of the 1970's players - like taking faceoffs, crashing the net, slapshots, forechecking, etc. Tikhonov, in spite of his faults, was able to implement a system which applied all of the "lessons learned" from the 1970's in a coherent, systematic way - and the end product was a much more modern form of hockey. The system that Tarasov pioneered was groundbreaking and stunning when it first appeared, but was static in its way, and had weaknesses which were eventually exploited, most specifically by the Czech trapping system of the 1976-77 period, but also by the Canadians every time they got into the faceoff circle or dumped the puck deep, among other things. Tikhonov's teams played much more well-rounded hockey, in spite of being composed of generally lesser parts.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:59 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
The win-loss records prove nothing, as the Soviets' chief competition (Czechoslovakia) was also weaker in the 80's, having lost its upper-tier of superstars to retirement or defection without replacing them with players of similar quality. And the Canadians went back to fielding all-star style teams when playing the Soviets, built more to look good than to win.
But at least there was Canada in the World Championships - unlike much of the Seventies. I just don't buy that there was some huge drop in the quality of their opponents in the 1980s which would explain why their record looks clearly better.

Quote:
By the 1980's, the Soviets had learned to play a much more North American style of hockey, and were quite effective as a team under the iron hand of Tikhonov, as opposed to the relative chaos of the 1970's in the period between Tarasov and Tikhonov (1972-78) when the team lacked clear direction, had wierd internal conflicts (Mikhailov being captain of the national team but not CSKA for a while, Petrov's suspension, etc.) and shuffled players around quite a bit. This was the period when the Soviet national team had the most struggles, and it is not a coincidence, nor a reflection on the skill of the players, which is only one factor in the performance of a team.
Yes, and I think that was a very important thing. The Canadians couldn't dominate them in the corners or in front of the net in the same way anymore. It started to happen around the 1979 Challenge Cup, I think.

Between 1973 and 1975 the Soviets were doing pretty well, though; they lost only 1 world championship game out of 30 (even though it was a bad one, 2-7 to the Czechs). 1976-77 was certainly chaos, and they never reached those lows in the 1980s. Losing to Poland... and even to a WHA team like Quebec Nordiques 1-6...

Quote:
You are right in the sense that I shouldn't talk about the Soviet team necessarily being weakened, because in many ways it was not. It was made up of generally less talented players (with the exception of the top two defensemen), but these players had been trained in some skills that were notably lacking among the vast majority of the 1970's players - like taking faceoffs, crashing the net, slapshots, forechecking, etc. Tikhonov, in spite of his faults, was able to implement a system which applied all of the "lessons learned" from the 1970's in a coherent, systematic way - and the end product was a much more modern form of hockey. The system that Tarasov pioneered was groundbreaking and stunning when it first appeared, but was static in its way, and had weaknesses which were eventually exploited, most specifically by the Czech trapping system of the 1976-77 period, but also by the Canadians every time they got into the faceoff circle or dumped the puck deep, among other things. Tikhonov's teams played much more well-rounded hockey, in spite of being composed of generally lesser parts.
Okay, I think now we're reaching consensus; there isn't really anything there I would disagree with.

Last edited by VMBM: 03-15-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The eskimos picks up a back-up goalie for those 3 games Broduer is not in the net

Mike Richter, G

Old
03-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

As Reds still has an outstanding pick, he is skipped. I will PM MadAr.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:58 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

The Whalers select Paul MacLean, RW

Old
03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

BTW, go read the Liba bio I just posted:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=171

Old
03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Yashin wants to play with a former international teammate who scored over 1000 NHL points so the Edmonton Mercurys are proud to finish their 4th line with RW Alexei Kovalev. Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Alexei Kovalev. next pmed.

Quote:
Keenan actually placed Kovalev on the first forward line with the team's top offensive talent. The Kovalev-Mark Messier-Adam Graves line determined the outcome of the battle for the Stanley Cup in the spring of 1994. To top it off, Messier became a top scorer in the league during the playoffs.

With Keenan, one of the toughest coaches in the NHL, Kovalev was able to accomplish that. Many Europeans in the NHL had trouble adjusting to the different style of play after being pressured to give up their own style. Just a little over 20, Kovalev, with his fighting spirit and winning style, had conquered New York. With his peculiar stickhandling and masterly skating, his ability to set up his partners in scoring positions and his powerful shots on goal, he garnered a lot of attention in his new homeland. Over the years, fans began showing up for games in Madison Square Garden wearing hockey jerseys with the number 27 and Kovalev's name stamped on the back.

With the Pittsburgh Penguins, which he joined in 1998, Kovalev was allowed to continue his own style of play and immediately became one of the leaders of the team. "Kovy" as he is known to his teammates spent parts of five seasons with the Penguins, where he established a career high 95 points in 2000-01. A two-time Olympic medalist, gold in 1992 with Team Unified and bronze in 2002 with Russia, Kovalev headed back to the Big Apple towards the end of the 2002-03 season.

Last edited by Hawkman: 09-18-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Gretzky had a lot of respect for Kovalev and thought him and Forsberg among the most skilled forwards in the game when asked about talent as he neared retirement.

Still, when I think of Kovalev, Tkachuk, Yashin I think about...

Closed Thread