Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
Not to watch your local teams home games. What other market has a specialty channel for home games? Are Jets games even available on Centre Ice?
They sure are....but it costs a couple hundred bucks, which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I can't even get Flames games here, and I live just outside of Calgary. No idea why. Must be the satelitte

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Not to watch your local teams home games. What other market has a specialty channel for home games? Are Jets games even available on Centre Ice?
The Habs and Leafs in Canafa for a start.

Of course Jets games are available on CI if you are not in the blackout area.

I'll admit that I only semi-legally watch Jets games. Because I am away from home a lot I watch all my hockey through GCL and bypass the blackout for the games. I still pay for GCL in order to do it though.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
They sure are....but it costs a couple hundred bucks, which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I can't even get Flames games here, and I live just outside of Calgary. No idea why. Must be the satelitte
I thought CI was $120/yr for a full season.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
It certainly wasn't much more than that, whatever it was. With AppleTV I put it on my big screen TV and it's virtually the same as having the Jets channel though cable would be (except no pre-game, intermission, commercials or post-game ... some other clubs do make some or all of those available).

Plus for the subscription you can watch any game, not just the Jets. Very few are unavailable.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
My understanding is in most markets you have to pay to watch your team's games. But does it really matter...for less than the price of lunch you get to watch all the games per month you can't be in the hanger for or aren't on national TV...what's the big deal?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
This is just wrong.

Minnesota = great fans
Nashville = great fans
Chicago = great fans
St. Louis = rebuiling a great fan base after being awful for years and years
Colorado = multiple cup winner and up and coming, their fans will be there

I don't see the problem. I also find playing Canadian teams VASTLY overrated. I hate pretty much every Canadian team and their fans annoy the hell out of me.

I'd rather play in a division where East West travel doesn't kill our team.

Also, and this is JMO, but if you are too cheap to pay to watch the Jets, then I don't care if you are a fan. It's going to take all of our fans committing at least some dollars to keep this team viable.
These teams fans are hugely underrated.

Minnesota had what 8 straight seasons of sellouts, now back to selling out every game after a period of terrible hockey and just set a record for most jerseys sold.

Nashville has some of loudest and best fans in the league, them (under the new ownership) and San Jose are models of how to generate hockey interest in non-traditional markets, they are doing great. Some great chants in that building.

Chicago has one of the loudest and biggest buildings in the league. No problems here, since Wirtz Sr died it has been a top 10, perhaps a top 5 hockey market.

St. Louis went through some lean years, fanbase got spoiled with 28 straight playoff appearances + having one of the worst population declines in the entire US during the 00's hurt them, but they have one of the youngest and most exciting teams in the NHL with relatively new ownership that is bringing the fans back en masse.

Colorado had a Stanley Cup Champion team delivered to them on a silver plate and once that era ended struggled for a bit, but is quickly gaining back the momentum, Denver is a fantastic sports city and they will support this team.

I, for one, am extremely excited to join this division. Like I said before, this is a group of extremely under appreciated teams that can bond together (through mutual hatred ) and forge their identity together as a scrappy underdog bunch that battles hard every night, particularly against each other. I am super excited about this realignment, it is by far the best possible realignment for the Jets.

Quote:
Last time I bought it for a full season (06-07) it was 180$. Probably gone up since then.

But for me it is completely worth it. Most TV sucks, IMO, and having something to watch every night for 6 hours is fantastic. Then again, I do find even the most "boring" matchup interesting since I love watching the best hockey in the world and I could name 5 players in any matchup in the NHL I love watching play the game of hockey...

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Doesn't make sense to rag on other teams for having 'empty arenas' or 'poor fan support'...and then turn around and refuse to pay to watch your local team's games.

What's it cost this season to watch 40+ games? Maybe $20. That's nothing. If that's a back-breaker for some, I would assume these people wouldn't be attending any local games in person either.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
every team in this new conference has solid support from there fan bases

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Soble

One technical clarification for the types who will understand -

This part unique to the west:
(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

is due to the math of having a 5x5 and 1x4 (29 games) not being able to work out with an odd number of teams. (try it if you don't believe)

This means there's a chance the Jets get an extra game against the Pacific, perhaps VAN/EDM/CGY. Not sure if they plan on rotating every team over each 7 years, would be nice if they chose the Jets as the exception team for another Canadian matchup but I'm sure they will rotate it.

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Regardless if several of the Canadian teams are bad now, long term you know there will be a commitment. Every single team in our division charges below the league average for ticket prices, 3 of them in the bottom 6. To me that says apathetic fan bases, in 10 years half our division might not be where they currently are.
Have you seen a Preds home game on tv? I'll assume that's a big no. We are on our own record sellout streak and had another one right before this one with like 1 or 2 games that were a couple hundred short of a sellout. I think you are in for a rude awakening if you think Bridgestone Arena is quiet and not filled up.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
coldsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Have you seen a Preds home game on tv? I'll assume that's a big no. We are on our own record sellout streak and had another one right before this one with like 1 or 2 games that were a couple hundred short of a sellout. I think you are in for a rude awakening if you think Bridgestone Arena is quiet and not filled up.
I'll back you up on this. Nashville has a pretty excellent core fan base from my understanding. Maybe not the biggest but loyal.

Attendance and interest will go up and down with the success of the team. Happens everywhere. 10,000 at the UC in the early 2000s for as prepetually bad as the teams were AND not having any home games televised in market is actually pretty serious loyalty when you think about it.

Eventual Expansion to Houston or KC worries me. Not sure the support would be there and ending up with another Phoenix would be bad.

Glad to see Winnipeg in the division. Ladd was one of my favorites from the Cup run. I love the way he plays.

coldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soble View Post
One technical clarification for the types who will understand -

This part unique to the west:
(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

is due to the math of having a 5x5 and 1x4 (29 games) not being able to work out with an odd number of teams. (try it if you don't believe)

This means there's a chance the Jets get an extra game against the Pacific, perhaps VAN/EDM/CGY. Not sure if they plan on rotating every team over each 7 years, would be nice if they chose the Jets as the exception team for another Canadian matchup but I'm sure they will rotate it.
you never know, they may do that. Before the Jets came back the 3 eastern CDN teams played the 3 western CDN teams home and home each year. Since hte matrix worked out that you would play 3 teams in the opposite conference home and home rather than once. All other teams roated except the canadian ones.

Maybe the Jets will get rotated amongst the western CDN teams yearly.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Really happy this got sorted out before the trade deadline.

I imagine there was some apprehension, especially with the Jets, about trading with teams that could potentially be in your own division next year.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
It's likely he watches games on CBC and TSN which show a disproportionate amount of eastern team games and equates not seeing these teams on those channels much to not being supported by their fan base.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:47 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Me and the old lady looked into it, and for next season...it was over 200. Crazy.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:51 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
I selfishly enjoyed the Jets being in the eastern conference these past 2 seasons, mainly because I'm in the Atlantic time zone. Next season, these stunningly good looks of mine are going to fade.

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Me and the old lady looked into it, and for next season...it was over 200. Crazy.
Yeah, guess my memory is fuzzy.

I remember it being less money then I it would be to subscribe to HBO and I usually ended up watching HBO less than 10 hours a month before I finally dumped it.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Assuming the same number of points (no proof it's true) we'd currently be a wildcard playoff team in next year's re-alignment. Here's Points Minus Games Played (aka "Games Above 500) for the teams..

TEAMPMGPCommentsTEAMPMGPComments
Anaheim17 Chicago20 
Vancouver6 St Louis5 
Los Angeles413 ROWMinnesota4 
San Jose48 ROWWinnipeg3 
Phoenix2 Dallas1 
Calgary0 Nashville0 
Edmonton-1 Colorado-2 

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote