HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Spits enter their final weekend of hockey with the 1st of a 3 gamer,game #1 at vs Owen Sd
Thursday nite here in Windsor
Spits are 0-3 vs the Attack this season,the last loss a 1-0 game at Owen Sd where the winning goal came on a penalty shot
All 3 games against the Attack occurred before Christmas and before all the changes
Jordan Dekort gets the start in goal,Pavelka gets the call Friday at Plymouth,and whoever plays the best according to Boughner gets the final nod at home in a return engagement against the Whale,who hammered the Hounds tonite 8-0 at Sault St Mairie
Spits have 15 goals in the past 2 games and have allowed 5
In the last 4 games where the spits are 2-1-1-0 the Spits have scored 23 goals and have
allowed 18 including the 9 at NFalls
Alex Khoklachev has 12 pts in the last 4 games,and Kirby Rychel has 8 pts in that stretch
As well 7 other players have averaged a pt or more a game during this time
Unless Bilcke and Mcnaughton dress the Spits will be playing their 25 game under the 20 player limit,I expect Mcnaughton to suit up,dont know about Bilcke,although I doubt it

Old
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
OHLTG

If Ty's ready to go for Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if he dresses. I can see the game on Saturday getting out of hand and he'll want to be in there. Miss Sunday's game and have the off-season to recuperate.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
punch1943

Spits have tough Decision According to Warren?

The Spitfires have a tough decision according to WR (see quote in the Star).

The Spits have two first-round picks in this year’s CHL Import Draft, their own and Niagara's but they already have a potential Import returnee in Pavelka.

Perhaps the rules have changed more than I understand. I realize that from now on Import picks can't be traded but does this prevent import players already on the roster such as Pavelka from being traded. If so then it means that if the Spits draft Billy Bob Boborovski he can't be traded even he plays like he belongs in a ringette league OR DOES THE RULE APPLY ONLY TO IMPORT PICKS IN THE IMPORT DRAFT ITSELF.

Quoting from the article by Rob Parker...

"Teams can only have two import players on the roster." If I'm correct teams could carry 3 imports for a period of time but could only play two in a game. Am I incorrect or if I'm correct has this rule been changed?

Since the extra pick this year can't be traded it would be ridiculous to pass on it. At worst one of the 3 players could be released or perhaps teams are now prevented from releasing a player.....

and last but not least...not only would Pavelka be returning as an Import he would be taking up an overage slot......

Old
03-13-2013, 11:14 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
The Spitfires have a tough decision according to WR (see quote in the Star).

The Spits have two first-round picks in this year’s CHL Import Draft, their own and Niagara's but they already have a potential Import returnee in Pavelka.

Perhaps the rules have changed more than I understand. I realize that from now on Import picks can't be traded but does this prevent import players already on the roster such as Pavelka from being traded. If so then it means that if the Spits draft Billy Bob Boborovski he can't be traded even he plays like he belongs in a ringette league OR DOES THE RULE APPLY ONLY TO IMPORT PICKS IN THE IMPORT DRAFT ITSELF.

Quoting from the article by Rob Parker...

"Teams can only have two import players on the roster." If I'm correct teams could carry 3 imports for a period of time but could only play two in a game. Am I incorrect or if I'm correct has this rule been changed?

Since the extra pick this year can't be traded it would be ridiculous to pass on it. At worst one of the 3 players could be released or perhaps teams are now prevented from releasing a player.....

and last but not least...not only would Pavelka be returning as an Import he would be taking up an overage slot......
i thought you can caryy 3 Imports only if the 3rd is a drafted NHL player much like Kitchener did this year before the trade for Czinder for Bezuch trade

Old
03-13-2013, 11:30 PM
big papa

If the spits cant find anyone who will be willing to take Pavelka then you can allways release him and invite him to camp as a free agent can you not?? this way WR can still draft 2 euros he feels can make an impact and maybe work out a deal for one of the players then sign Pavelka as a free agent if they really wanted him back

Old
03-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
If the spits cant find anyone who will be willing to take Pavelka then you can allways release him and invite him to camp as a free agent can you not?? this way WR can still draft 2 euros he feels can make an impact and maybe work out a deal for one of the players then sign Pavelka as a free agent if they really wanted him back
IIRC, Rychel can still use both picks since his only Import coming back is an OA (because of the possibilities of him going pro in Europe).

You can still only play 2 in a game, but it gives you some wiggle room with the Import players.

I didn't realize that those rules were actually put into place... thought it was only in the discussion phase.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:17 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
My understanding of the rule change is that u cant trade the pick,or the player chosen

either for a year I think for the player not sure about that part

Spits have time to decide as the draft is not held until after the NHL draft in late

June

Alot hinges on the mem cup selection process which is mid April,especially regarding

regarding roster projection for next yr,my guess is that they will pitch Pavelka

as a possible O/A returnee,and then when the selection committee announces who is

hosting,which will be in early to mid May

Spits have some time on this one,personally if I could get 2 impact type Euros then

go for it,I would hate to pass on a top 30 pick

If Pavelka is moved possible destinatons could be Peterborough,I would take

D"agastino in return as an O/A,Barrie especially if they are named host,they need a

goalie too especially if they are hosting,Kitchener,with Gibson and Vieneau moving on

and Tobias Reider graduating,Guelph with Pedan and Rtchard moving on and Sparks

miight be siigned by the Leafs

If 2 good picks cant be had in the draft,then they might keep him

Should be interesting

Old
03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Question is - is Pavelka really that good that you would use both and import status and an OA status for him to come back? (Usually that would mean the player is outstanding)
I've seen games where he has won it for you hands down and been the difference maker. I've also seen a ton of comments where you guys are really riding him.
Could that be partially because of the team in front of him? Would he be the guy to take you to the cup next year with a very good team in front of him - aka worth both status cards. Thoughts?

Old
03-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Ottomatic

Stupid rule change as it's just going to keep import talent away from the CHL. Par for the course with the current leadership - why don't they just ban imports and Americans, because that's what they're doing. Some teams don't want/can't afford to bring imports over, so now they have to get nothing in return and simply pass on the pick? Or can they make the pick to block the player from playing in the league - knowing that they're not going to bring him over? CHL thinks that Imports will play for anybody - that is wrong.

Also unfair to change the rule right away - but again that's par for the course it seems - screw the Spits.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:50 AM
OHLTG

Knights, I'd say, with the team we're supposed to have next year, he'd be just fine in net. He's prone to some weak goals, but who isn't? The biggest issue this year isn't the goaltending, as much as people want to believe it is. When you have four top d-men out for three months, you're going to lose games. When you have a veteran forward playing defence, you're going to lose games. You throw Sieloff and Koekkoek back there, plus Sanvido is a year older and wiser, same with Bateman and Ebert, and an experienced Brown, plus another veteran D, you've got plenty of support for Pavelka.

That being said, if we don't get the Cup, I'd imagine you deal Pavelka for a young forward or picks, and have DeKort starting or 50/50 with a veteran back-up that we get through a deal.

If we get the Cup, Pavelka returns and, no, I don't mind him being an OA and an Import slot...though that sort of depends on who's available in the draft, too.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:41 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Knights, I'd say, with the team we're supposed to have next year, he'd be just fine in net. He's prone to some weak goals, but who isn't? The biggest issue this year isn't the goaltending, as much as people want to believe it is. When you have four top d-men out for three months, you're going to lose games. When you have a veteran forward playing defence, you're going to lose games. You throw Sieloff and Koekkoek back there, plus Sanvido is a year older and wiser, same with Bateman and Ebert, and an experienced Brown, plus another veteran D, you've got plenty of support for Pavelka.
I think most of the d zone problems are the fault of the forwards. How many times have we seen the d get the puck to the winger on the boards (if he is there and not hanging at centre ice), and they cannot get it out from there. I have seen many goals against where Windsor had possesion in their zone five or six times and end up getting scored upon.

Spits also have to be the worst passing team I have seen in a while. Tape to tape is a foreign concept. Watch the other teams and one or two crisp passes on the breakout leads to a good scoring opportunity at the other end. Not oing to see it from Windsor. When they do get the puck out, it is seldom with possesion.

I do agree with what Dave says about the Dmen and goalies but do not want to see the forwards escape the balme they deserve.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
RayzorIsDull

I think Rychel is only being nice when he says they have a decision to make because the only solution is to utilize both picks and let Pavelka go. I agree it hasn't helped with D being injured and forwards not backchecking but that's the time you need clear out all that and ask yourself this question. Is Pavelka is worth keeping and taking up an OA and import spot? I think the answer is quite clear and the answer is no. Overall I see Pavelka is an average/below average goalie and we have 80+ games of proof. The only goalie taking up an OA/import spot this year is Niederberger I don't believe anyone thinks Pavelka is at that level. I have never seen a goalie that gets more rope than Pavelka, even Matt Anthony had better career numbers than Pavelka and that was on average to below average teams for the Spits. Do we need 120-130 games of Pavelka to make a conclusion on how good he is?

Old
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think Rychel is only being nice when he says they have a decision to make because the only solution is to utilize both picks and let Pavelka go. I agree it hasn't helped with D being injured and forwards not backchecking but that's the time you need clear out all that and ask yourself this question. Is Pavelka is worth keeping and taking up an OA and import spot? I think the answer is quite clear and the answer is no. Overall I see Pavelka is an average/below average goalie and we have 80+ games of proof. The only goalie taking up an OA/import spot this year is Niederberger I don't believe anyone thinks Pavelka is at that level. I have never seen a goalie that gets more rope than Pavelka, even Matt Anthony had better career numbers than Pavelka and that was on average to below average teams for the Spits. Do we need 120-130 games of Pavelka to make a conclusion on how good he is?
Well put Rayzor. The OA / import slot/goalie would be a back breaker. If I remember correctly Pavelka had to be coaxed to show last year. If he does get traded you can bet the return the Spits get will have the old if he reports clause attached.
Hopefully the Import and Overage slots will be managed much better than they were this year.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

That was ugly.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That was ugly.
Yes it was,Spits with 6 players out with injuries,Giftopoulous hurt in the 1st did not
return,Spits finished the game with 15 skaters and only 8 natural forwards,as Bateman filled in for Giftopoulous the last 2 periods
The Attack had zero players missing with injuries,just 3 healthy scratches
Spits badly outmatched,most teams would be with so many key players missing
and up against one of top 3-4 teams with a full lineup,but u gotta play the game
not going to criticize the team on this one,Dekort started strong but the 2nd and 4th goals were his undoing,while Binnington was solid but not severely tested
The Attack like I have said are probably the dirtiest team in the league,unfortunately
the officials let them away with this crap more often then not and tonite was no exception as things threatened to boil over at times
Spits are 12-13-1-1 since the trade deadline,not bad when u consider during that stretch they have missed 100 man games,with 2 of their best Dmen missing 41 games
between the 2 of them
Spits were 0-4 vs the attack this year and are 1-5 vs Plymouth,against the rest
of the league the Spits are 25-23-2-6 in the other 56 games

Old
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yes it was,Spits with 6 players out with injuries,Giftopoulous hurt in the 1st did not
return,Spits finished the game with 15 skaters and only 8 natural forwards,as Bateman filled in for Giftopoulous the last 2 periods
The Attack had zero players missing with injuries,just 3 healthy scratches
Spits badly outmatched,most teams would be with so many key players missing
and up against one of top 3-4 teams with a full lineup,but u gotta play the game
not going to criticize the team on this one,Dekort started strong but the 2nd and 4th goals were his undoing,while Binnington was solid but not severely tested
The Attack like I have said are probably the dirtiest team in the league,unfortunately
the officials let them away with this crap more often then not and tonite was no exception as things threatened to boil over at times
Spits are 12-13-1-1 since the trade deadline,not bad when u consider during that stretch they have missed 100 man games,with 2 of their best Dmen missing 41 games
between the 2 of them
Spits were 0-4 vs the attack this year and are 1-5 vs Plymouth,against the rest
of the league the Spits are 25-23-2-6 in the other 56 games
If you cant beat teams like Plymouth n Owen sound who each year have a top 4 team then you dont deserve to make the playoffs or get the mem cup... yes i know there missing key guys but at least have the game be close and entertaining instead of just givving up before they drop the puck. not sure if anyone else has noticed it but this team has no jump in the pre-game warm up.... Maybe we wouldnt be in this situation if BB actuall rolled all 4 lines, and 6 d majority of the game i mean how can u develop as a team when your only your top 6 forwards and top 4 defenceman play

Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 AM
OHLTG

When you're out:

Koekkoek
Sieloff
Johnson
McNaughton
Bilcke
Marchese

You're not going to roll out the lines you want or the d-men you want. I didn't see warm-ups (got there a bit later than I wanted), but the team wasn't the same in general from what we saw on Sunday. Plus, Owen Sound was rolling and not letting up. They came to win, not have a practice. Binnington was on his game and, once the Spitfires realized that, their offence got frustrated.

One thing I can't help but wonder - is Pavelka going to go out with a bang? He had a pretty impressive trash-talk session with Brandon Hope (who was on the OS bench), to the point where the trainer had to pull Hope into the hallway. I can see Pavelka saying "screw this" and letting it fly this weekend. If he's not returning, what does he have to lose?

Hopefully Bilcke is back on Saturday. I know the team could use that physical presence.

I give Clark credit. He could have gone a few times tonight but knows that one more and he's done, so he played it cool. Along similar lines, credit-wise, Rychel tried to spark his team with a veteran v. veteran fight. Didn't do much, but it was obvious what he was trying to do and I appreciate that.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:59 AM
big papa

i was talking about before the trades happen. i saw that with Pav and Hope

Old
03-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Libbs

Sorry... but making excuses is for losers.

The problems on this team run much deeper than some missing players...

Old
03-15-2013, 06:36 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post

Not making excuses just factors big difference

Old
03-15-2013, 06:56 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
When you're out:

Koekkoek
Sieloff
Johnson
McNaughton
Bilcke
Marchese

You're not going to roll out the lines you want or the d-men you want. I didn't see warm-ups (got there a bit later than I wanted), but the team wasn't the same in general from what we saw on Sunday. Plus, Owen Sound was rolling and not letting up. They came to win, not have a practice. Binnington was on his game and, once the Spitfires realized that, their offence got frustrated.

One thing I can't help but wonder - is Pavelka going to go out with a bang? He had a pretty impressive trash-talk session with Brandon Hope (who was on the OS bench), to the point where the trainer had to pull Hope into the hallway. I can see Pavelka saying "screw this" and letting it fly this weekend. If he's not returning, what does he have to lose?

Hopefully Bilcke is back on Saturday. I know the team could use that physical presence.

I give Clark credit. He could have gone a few times tonight but knows that one more and he's done, so he played it cool. Along similar lines, credit-wise, Rychel tried to spark his team with a veteran v. veteran fight. Didn't do much, but it was obvious what he was trying to do and I appreciate that.
I would agree tough to go with 4 lines and 6 D when u start the game 2 under the limit,only 9 natural forwards in the lineup,then lose 1 in the 1st period,I am sure Boughner would love to have the luxury of rolling everybody has not had the bodies
unfortnately,would have liked to have seen more of a stronger effort with execution, the last 3 goals Dekort allowed were stopable,the teams seemed to sag more after each one
Owen Sd is the type of team that will wear you down because of their size,and no doubt took full advantage of Windsor's short roster
I was hoping after 2 solid efforts against what was a hot team SSM and London we
would see more of the same
As for Pavelka It seems like he has loking for a scrap all year with somebody,anybody
maybe he will try his luck this weekend,not that I that I am in favor of it
Its too bad Kuchmey"s team is still playing would like to have gotten a look at him,as he has only allowed 6 goals in his last 4 playoff games,tonite would have perfect as his team is off
As for Clark hope he keeps his cool until Sunday then go wild,have 3 fights for old time sake,Bowen although at 10 fiights might do the same,as I feel he wont be back
next yr especially after he and Clarks recent shenagians
I expect him to be dealt to Oshawa,Smith loves him,and with Mcguire and Sabourin not returning he will want to add to his toughness quotient

Old
03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
hockeylegend11

Re Kuchmey

What I meant to say was wish game at Plymouth was tonite,as his jr b team is off tonite,unfortunately his team plays both Sat and Sun,would have liked to get a look at him

Old
03-15-2013, 09:30 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post

Truer words have not been spoken...couldn't agree more..with both points.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

In regards to injuries and all that stuff, that was the final nail in the coffin in regards to play hopes. What hurt the team were the first 3 months of the season and what was the 7 game losing streak all but the death knell of the season. For the most part Rychel took far too long to act and wasn't the least bit proactive.

At the end of this year they will have 5 or 6 20 goal guys. Aleardi, Khokhlachev will be gone from that group. Giftopolous would probably have had 20 goals, Johnson got to 20 after pulling his 1st half disappearing act like last year, Vail as far as I'm concerned took steps back in his development, Rychel is going to come close to repeating his 40 goal year which is all you can ask for on the goal scoring front.

Like Fluffy said earlier the other issues are quite glaring not being able to string 2 passes together in stride, last night in a 2-0 game I saw Ho-Sang decide to try and go coast to coast while Aleardi was tapping his stick to get the puck. What proceded to happen after that was Ho-Sang got stopped at the blueline by 2 D, turned the puck over and 5 seconds later Owen Sound was up 3-0. For all the good things HoSang has done there's still more sizzle than steak. If Ho-Sang has no confidence in a linemate like Aleardi who has 1.5 ppg who will HoSang have confidence in? I am sure HoSang will improve but those habits have to be broken asap and if this team continues to struggle those habits will become harder to break.

They either get the Memorial Cup or Rychel has to flush it. At least if the Spits bottomed out next year they actually have a 1st round pick. If the Spits continue to play poorly in 2015 they can use their 1st round pick trade it for a few 2nd round picks and use that pick in 2016 in the 1st round as compensation I don't think the league can take that pick away.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Re Kuchmey

What I meant to say was wish game at Plymouth was tonite,as his jr b team is off tonite,unfortunately his team plays both Sat and Sun,would have liked to get a look at him
Kuchmey will be in the OHL next season. Question is where? His biggest problem IMHO is that he wasn't drafted in the 2nd round like DeKort. Very hard for WR to admit he made a poor choice. Kuchmey isn't the prototype goalie that everyone looks for in today's hockey, size wise. Hopefully he will get his shot.

Meanwhile, where it counts most, in Windsor we can only wonder where WR (or his replacement) will find a goaltender. I guess we'll have to wait for the announcement regarding the site for the 2014 Memorial Cup before we'll get the answer.

Closed Thread