HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Uh, no. Best way to have people turn the dial to another station is hiring a co-host with no radio experience who is not smart or dedicated enough to make up for it. Laryngitis is temporary, stupidity is permanent.

But enough about the past. Do you think ATB and the others that paid to advertise on the TEAM during the CIS University Cup were pleased that the Golden Bears' first game was not only tape delayed but that Gregor & Storms were giving out the score as it happened with no heads-up? My guess is that what was going to be a fairly tiny audience to begin with went down to almost zero after that.
Honestly if you were going out of your way to listen to a CIS game, you'd stay away from places where it could be leaked. Warning or not, you can switch into a station after a warning was given and still hear the score.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:32 AM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly if you were going out of your way to listen to a CIS game, you'd stay away from places where it could be leaked. Warning or not, you can switch into a station after a warning was given and still hear the score.
I guess so but you've got to wonder who the genius was that came up with the idea to put the game on tape delay in the first place. I would've listened anyway (if people on the station carrying the game hadn't blabbed the score) because I'm a longtime Golden Bears fan. Most TEAM listeners probably wouldn't have bothered.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
I like both Lowetide and his show although there was what I judged to be a ridiculous moment this past Saturday. With the Oil coming off of awful back-to-back shutout losses, I tuned into Lowetide's new show for some kind of fresh insight only to hear him and some nerd doing an extremely thorough breakdown of Magnus Paajarvi's advanced stats for the Nashville game. It just struck me as absurd for some reason.
why is that ridiculous?

Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
why is that ridiculous?
Good question. 'Ridiculous' was a little harsh. 'Irrelevant' was probably more appropriate. I hope you realize that what I was saying was meant as a shot at Lowetide and his guest, not MPS. I'm delighted to see Paajarvi continue to solidify his spot in the NHL.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Wheatking

I'm sure he's getting destroyed in the ratings but Strudwick's post game show blows Tencer/Brown away.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I'm sure he's getting destroyed in the ratings but Strudwick's post game show blows Tencer/Brown away.
Struds is hilarious. Love his show.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
I like both Lowetide and his show although there was what I judged to be a ridiculous moment this past Saturday. With the Oil coming off of awful back-to-back shutout losses, I tuned into Lowetide's new show for some kind of fresh insight only to hear him and some nerd doing an extremely thorough breakdown of Magnus Paajarvi's advanced stats for the Nashville game. It just struck me as absurd for some reason.
So you like Lowetide, but you don't like him doing exactly what makes him who he is? Lowetide is a super positive dude and he's a stats nerd for people who aren't prone to stats nerdery. He's the best blogger in the Oilogosphere by a long shot and he has the only radio show I try to catch every week.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
So you like Lowetide, but you don't like him doing exactly what makes him who he is? Lowetide is a super positive dude and he's a stats nerd for people who aren't prone to stats nerdery. He's the best blogger in the Oilogosphere by a long shot and he has the only radio show I try to catch every week.
Lowetide is by far the best blogger....yes he's a stats nerd, but he's also a fan

he straddles the line between speaking strictly "stats" and being an every day fan when talking about a player...

that is what makes him great

Old
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
AM

I cant stand their early morning guys, I dont know what type of fans they are but they just seem like they are ant oiler fans all of the time.

Spec show is good and drive home is good.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
I cant stand their early morning guys, I dont know what type of fans they are but they just seem like they are ant oiler fans all of the time.

Spector has a good tone, but his analysis is dreadful and ill-informed. Is he still screaming for MPS to be sent back to OKC?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
cpsman

Quote:

To be honest, I kind of like that about Nielson and Fraser. I don't think a morning sports show should be overly biased. Yes I want Oilers coverage, but its nice to hear a bit about other teams in detail and other sports that I don't watch in detail.

I find that on my ride to work I'm not hearing the same post-game discussion I heard the night before, but learning more about sports when they bring in other guests from other cities etc. Its nice for a guy like me who only has time to watch the Oilers but has interest in sports in general.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Spector has a good tone, but his analysis is dreadful and ill-informed. Is he still screaming for MPS to be sent back to OKC?
There is no way any sane person could be saying that now.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
He was saying if Magnus wasnt going to be playing (at the time he was not) that he should be in OKC getting top six minutes. Which is a perfectly reasonable position.

Seems like your analysis is the one that is ill-informed.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
To be honest, I kind of like that about Nielson and Fraser. I don't think a morning sports show should be overly biased. Yes I want Oilers coverage, but its nice to hear a bit about other teams in detail and other sports that I don't watch in detail.

I find that on my ride to work I'm not hearing the same post-game discussion I heard the night before, but learning more about sports when they bring in other guests from other cities etc. Its nice for a guy like me who only has time to watch the Oilers but has interest in sports in general.
I have no doubt there is a market for it, it just isnt me.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I have no doubt there is a market for it, it just isnt me.
I like their show. Huge improvement on what it replaced.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Agreed.

Nielsen is a great host in my opinion

Old
03-18-2013, 10:15 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
you cant argue that. It's got things that annoy me, but for the most part, its a pretty good show.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
abootzky

Quote:
I stand by what I said. I like what Lowetide does- most of the time. On the heels of a 6-0 Oilers loss during what was at that point a disastrous road trip, his choice of that moment to focus intently on one player's deep stats seemed a little off-base to me that's all.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
metallicat

I sort of find it amusing that the TEAM guys, specifically the morning show, talking about how the Oilers are finally playing meaningful games so late into a season. Amusing because in a regular season, they've only played 28 games or 34% of a season. So...it's not really that late into a season.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
He was saying if Magnus wasnt going to be playing (at the time he was not) that he should be in OKC getting top six minutes. Which is a perfectly reasonable position.

Seems like your analysis is the one that is ill-informed.
Well, here it is in Spec's own words via Twitter:

Mark Spector Sports‏@SportsnetSpec
@dstaples I fear Paajarvi beaten to Top 6 spots by 14, 4, 64, 93. No way he turns into the type of 3rd liner Oilers require. Not physical.

@dstaples Unless he turns into Lehtinen, Pahlsson, Dahlen - or Ruutu - prefer N.American-physical there. Arvedsson? Meh...

@mental_gas @Archaeologuy @dstaples Not sure I like combo of small Top 6, and all Euro 3rd line. Has to be 1 or another.

in 8 more NHL games, Paajarvi will require waivers to go to OKC. Don't be surprised if he goes down w/Brown in. He's not a Top 6 NHL fwd.

@Woodguy55 He might, one day. Meanwhile, too many Oilers players are all the same. Oil needs grit in Bottom 6.

@mtoggel And isn't that the Oilers issue…? Need Bottom six guys who do more than try to create offence.

Essentially, Spec was not referring to icetime, but a belief that MPS was not good enough for the top 6 and not brawny enough for the bottom six (despite his impressive defensive awareness) and that the Oilers needed a bottom six less focused on goals and more focused on bashing skulls. He missed by a mile here and it's only one of many times.

Last edited by Truth Movement: 03-19-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
I stand by what I said. I like what Lowetide does- most of the time. On the heels of a 6-0 Oilers loss during what was at that point a disastrous road trip, his choice of that moment to focus intently on one player's deep stats seemed a little off-base to me that's all.
Well, griping is always nice for a post-game show, but Lowetide is a big picture guy and that will even stand after a fairly disheartening loss.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Well, here it is in Spec's own words via Twitter:

@dstaples I fear Paajarvi beaten to Top 6 spots by 14, 4, 64, 93. No way he turns into the type of 3rd liner Oilers require. Not physical.

@dstaples Unless he turns into Lehtinen, Pahlsson, Dahlen - or Ruutu - prefer N.American-physical there. Arvedsson? Meh...

@mental_gas @Archaeologuy @dstaples Not sure I like combo of small Top 6, and all Euro 3rd line. Has to be 1 or another.

in 8 more NHL games, Paajarvi will require waivers to go to OKC. Don't be surprised if he goes down w/Brown in. He's not a Top 6 NHL fwd.

@Woodguy55 He might, one day. Meanwhile, too many Oilers players are all the same. Oil needs grit in Bottom 6.

@mtoggel And isn't that the Oilers issue…? Need Bottom six guys who do more than try to create offence.

Essentially, Spec was not referring to icetime, but a belief that MPS was not good enough for the top 6 and not brawny enough for the bottom six (despite his impressive defensive awareness) and that the Oilers needed a bottom six less focused on goals and more focused on bashing skulls. He missed by a mile here and it's only one of many times.
His view is that the Oilers are too soft. Not missing the mark at all with that observation. You tried and still are trying apparently to represent that Spector doesnt think Magnus Paajarvi is worthy/good enough to play anywhere in the lineup on an nhl team.

That simply isnt the case from what I have heard when listening to the show. Again he was questioning the reasoning behind having Paajarvi up with the big team when he wasnt playing. That's it. Despite your cherry picking of tweets and desperate attempts to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

You like Lowetide, good for you, he has been wrong about pretty much every Oiler player over the last five or six years, so lol @ you trying to pigeon hole Spector (who actually has a real career as a journalist/analyst etc) on Paajarvi.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Truth Movement

Quote:
His view is that the Oilers are too soft. Not missing the mark at all with that observation. You tried and still are trying apparently to represent that Spector doesnt think Magnus Paajarvi is worthy/good enough to play anywhere in the lineup on an nhl team.

That simply isnt the case from what I have heard when listening to the show. Again he was questioning the reasoning behind having Paajarvi up with the big team when he wasnt playing. That's it. Despite your cherry picking of tweets and desperate attempts to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

You like Lowetide, good for you, he has been wrong about pretty much every Oiler player over the last five or six years, so lol @ you trying to pigeon hole Spector (who actually has a real career as a journalist/analyst etc) on Paajarvi.
Yeesh, your posts got weirdly personal attacky. Is this how you "win" arguments on HFBoards?

Anyway, first, I think you don't know the meaning of the term "cherry picking." Posting things the guy said in a public forum, all within chronological order and all within the correct context is not cherry picking by anyone's metrics by yours.

It's cool if you like Spector. Like I said, he's got this sardonic demeanor that can be fun, but then again he gets into all kinds of weird "I don't want Euros in my bottom 6" talk that makes him sound out of touch and xenophobic (the day these Tweets went out, Spec doubled down on that kind of talk on his show - almost like he was trolling people with better sense). I'm not saying "boohoo, Spec doesn't like Paajarvi," it's just that he has a tendancy to be wrong about things.

Not defending Lowetide, like anyone analyzing the team he can be off base, but what are some key players Lowetide has been categorically wrong on?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Yeesh, your posts got weirdly personal attacky. Is this how you "win" arguments on HFBoards?

Anyway, first, I think you don't know the meaning of the term "cherry picking." Posting things the guy said in a public forum, all within chronological order and all within the correct context is not cherry picking by anyone's metrics by yours.

It's cool if you like Spector. Like I said, he's got this sardonic demeanor that can be fun, but then again he gets into all kinds of weird "I don't want Euros in my bottom 6" talk that makes him sound out of touch and xenophobic (the day these Tweets went out, Spec doubled down on that kind of talk on his show - almost like he was trolling people with better sense). I'm not saying "boohoo, Spec doesn't like Paajarvi," it's just that he has a tendancy to be wrong about things.

Not defending Lowetide, like anyone analyzing the team he can be off base, but what are some key players Lowetide has been categorically wrong on?
http://lowetide.ca/blog/2007/10/marc-pouliot-2.html

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2011/06/sail...azy-train.html

and then there is/was his embarrassing cuddlemance with Shawn Horcoff. Seems like a nice guy and I have nothing against him really, I mean I am responding to you attacking a different media personality publicly, but since you asked, those are three of the players that he has been a little off about.

His show/blog and numbers schtick isnt really my bag. I prefer to assess the game by actually watching it, but to each their own I suppose.

Paajarvi seems to be the new flavour of the day for the pocket protector crowd. Im glad that he has seen a resurgence in his game, but 20 some games has really proven exactly nothing atm. So throwing stones at anyone for saying anything about him or his game either way is very premature. Whether it be Spector for allegedly saying Paajarvi is no good (I dont personally think that is what he believes) or you and others saying he is the new Shawn Horcoff.

Here's an idea. Why dont you call into Spec's show and confront him with your evidence on his mistaken views on Paajarvi?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Wait what... I have never seen this blog post ever but what is wrong about this...

"Pouliot is in a pretty dangerous spot right now. In spite of some kind words about him in the Thursday GDT, the hard numbers are damning and he has been passed by a few players since last spring.

He has not been sent out so far this season, and if he can gain some traction he could still have a career as an Oiler. However, the momentum he’d gathered in the springtime has been lost and he’s back to being a fringe player on a middling roster."

In fact he was if you look at the numbers three years ahead of the curve... the geniuses in front office tried the Pouliot experiment for another three years...

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2011/06/sail...azy-train.html

"If this guy turns into something, then all these risk picks at the top become less worrisome imo.”

I not seeing any thing crazy here about Crazy Train... that was the Oilers plan too... if the big guy turned out he was worth a shot and made Pouliot and Mikhnov and the others hurt a bit less... but he is not proclaiming him as an NHL player or star there...

Let's put it this way... HFBoards sees like 100 of those predictions a day... most far worse... think some guy here siad Schremp would have 1,500 points or something in the NHL... THAT is a bed prediction... saying a guy with raw skills is not... if that is the worst this guy has said... hell he is already better than most media people.

Quote:
and then there is/was his embarrassing cuddlemance with Shawn Horcoff.
What did he say exactly... would be curious to know if this hyperbole again or actually has facts around it... or did he just say he is a nice NHL player if his shoulders are not held together by tape and toothpicks

Last edited by SchultzSquared: 03-21-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Closed Thread