HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we in the midst of another epic second-half collapse this season?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 09:17 AM
thewave

vCash: 500
I think they are trying to lose the season, only a FLICKING idiot would play Holzer in those minutes. This kid has lost or put games in peril almost every single outing single handedly and in obvious fashion at that! If you play favs like that Randy is just as bad as RW in a way. stupid. Why can they not see how terrible Holzer is?

Old
03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Reimer, Scrivens, Kadri, JVR, and Frattin all started off with career year numbers. I dont think it was realistic to expect them to continue at that pace indefinitely.

Thats not the concerning part though. The concerning part is the team-wide increase in defensive breakdowns over the last few weeks. Team defense doesnt tend to be streaky... Except for the Leafs at least.
Career numbers?

JvR only got 10-15 minutes of ice time in his first four years at Philly.

He's getting near 18-19 minutes with the Leafs. That's not career numbers, that's just progression. JvR can be a 70 point player.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470

This is where I am. We are one loss away from being on the outs. I know no team, even a great one can win all it's games, but I just doesn't feel good, man.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

In a shortened season, im fine with a collapse. Just dont miss and come in 9th.

However in our last collapse it was over a 20+ game span. We are on a 4 game streak right now. Not really comparable just yet.

Im torn. This team is desperate for a true number 1 center. Is it really beneficial to scrape into the playoffs and get hammered? I guess i just need to know that Nonis can continue building this team without needing to get lottery picks. Otherwise we need to build through the draft.

Hate how this team is in limbo. Not bad, yet not good at the same time. Young core, still time to let the young kids emerge through the ranks.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
We'll know after the next 3 games , Wpg/TB/Buff are all very winnable games .
Pretty much.

We get 0 or 1 point of those 6 and we are in complete freefall mode.

We probably need 4, even 5, points here to right the ship.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No. In last years collapse at no point did we play like last night. We deserved to win yesterday. Im confident we'll be back in the W column in the very near future
exactly..i will be worried if the pressure starts getting to the players and then they start to crack..if they play solid the next 3 games they will be in good shape..if we come out with a dud on saturday then i will be concerned..3 of the 4 losses have been to teams we should lose too

Old
03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Lupul is back shortly, he will help. The last 2 Pittsburgh games were very winnable. So was the Winnie game, we were getting real good chances, I think the 5-3 killed their spirits. Last night there were incredible chances, I don't know how some of them didn't go in.

Old
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

I feel like they've played better in a couple of the losses than they did in the wins prior to them.

I thought they were better yesterday and in Boston than they were in the Ottawa and Islander wins.

Old
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

4 game losing streak, 3 of which were hard fought efforts against the top two teams in the East. The Winnipeg beat down is inexcusable, but we definitely can't be too upset or look to into the 4 game
Skid. Not time to jump of the cliff, not yet at least. Easy schedule coming up if we lose the majority then it's time to jump.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:46 AM
thewave

one of the biggest problems with it all though is the trouble makers are easy to spot. If he cant see that and I mean RC we have bigger problems

Old
03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

This current slide has got the fan base concerned, rightly so. It seems clear that those of you who are convinced this is the beginning of the end, should take a break from the boards for a little bit to protect your sanity and self worth.

Once, we have fired Carlyle, traded Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Grabbo, Kulemin, MacArthur, Kotska, Holzer and Reimer, it will be safe for you to come back. Don't worry, we'll carry on without you and keep the place going. It won't be quite the same, but we'll manage.

Do it for your own piece of mind.

Be well.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
4 game losing streak, 3 of which were hard fought efforts against the top two teams in the East. The Winnipeg beat down is inexcusable, but we definitely can't be too upset or look to into the 4 game
Skid. Not time to jump of the cliff, not yet at least. Easy schedule coming up if we lose the majority then it's time to jump.
Yeah, if we lose 2/3 against Winnipeg/Tampa/Buffalo...we're essentially done.

Tampa and Buffalo are terrible teams..if you can't capitalize when you need the points, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah, if we lose 2/3 against Winnipeg/Tampa/Buffalo...we're essentially done.

Tampa and Buffalo are terrible teams..if you can't capitalize when you need the points, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
On paper those games might look winnable, but I don't know how any Leaf fan can see a game against Buffalo on the schedule and pencil in a win (especially the way Miller always seems to elevate his game against the Leafs).

Stamkos is also a Leaf killer and TB already beat us once this year--when we were playing well. We obviously just saw that Winnipeg is no pushover.

These games are not going to be easy and with an inevitable two-game losing streak against Boston following them, it will get really ugly if the Leafs don't win at least two of these next three.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
On paper those games might look winnable, but I don't know how any Leaf fan can see a game against Buffalo on the schedule and pencil in a win (especially the way Miller always seems to elevate his game against the Leafs).

Stamkos is also a Leaf killer and TB already beat us once this year--when we were playing well. We obviously just saw that Winnipeg is no pushover.

These games are not going to be easy and with an inevitable two-game losing streak against Boston following them, it will get really ugly if the Leafs don't win at least two of these next three.
Sure on paper but all you need are a couple of the wrong D on the wrong lines on the wrong team to cost them a couple goals and the games done.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

Not easy but should win games. For Toronto to establish themselves as a playoff team, they have to be able to put away teams beneath them in the standings. We're on pace to play 3 current non-playoff teams, they should be winnable in relation to Boston or pittsburgh games.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I feel like they've played better in a couple of the losses than they did in the wins prior to them.

I thought they were better yesterday and in Boston than they were in the Ottawa and Islander wins.
That's the scary part. They won some games while being completely dominated. They should already be out of a playoff spot. All the talk about how they dominated the Pens last night is way overblown. It was a close came. Leafs lost.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Brown Dog

I agree, these games are crucial. Just wouldn't say I'm optimistic (but I'm a Leaf fan, so why should I be optimistic? )

Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
thewave

Carlyle always talks in safe minutes, why play two of the most unsafe D when you have better guys literally being paid to sit

Old
03-15-2013, 10:20 AM
daveleaf

Step away from the edge! You guys are too much. Throw out this, this player is garbage, coach don't know ****.

This is the best team we have fielded in years and the best coaching staff and all you guys do is complain. This team before the year was supposed to be battling for the 8th spot. For half the year we are in the middle of the pack for playoff teams and now we are battling for 8th spot. Just where we are supposed to be. No surprise here.

All you guys that know so much why don't you submit your resume for a good laugh.

Team will be fine but I am sure there will be some knuckleheads that will post some ridiculous trade proposals on the main board.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Carlyle always talks in safe minutes, why play two of the most unsafe D when you have better guys literally being paid to sit
Who? Liles? Komisarek? Komo can't make a first pass and has lead feet, can't fight anymore. Liles takes too many chances but gives you speed.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Who? Liles? Komisarek? Komo can't make a first pass and has lead feet, can't fight anymore. Liles takes too many chances but gives you speed.
Then Holzer it up only costs us 2 goals a game on avg while Jake grumbles and Liles went down which started this trend and whats gunner offering? He moves slower then Komi right now. You really wanna talk slow Gunner cant turn around or pivot ffs

Facts, Gunners return and Holzer emergence while sending Liles to the press kicked off this bs

Old
03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Somehow Mike Komisarek has become a potential saviour of this team. I'm embarrassed for the rest of this fanbase

Old
03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Step away from the edge! You guys are too much. Throw out this, this player is garbage, coach don't know ****.

This is the best team we have fielded in years and the best coaching staff and all you guys do is complain. This team before the year was supposed to be battling for the 8th spot. For half the year we are in the middle of the pack for playoff teams and now we are battling for 8th spot. Just where we are supposed to be. No surprise here.

All you guys that know so much why don't you submit your resume for a good laugh.

Team will be fine but I am sure there will be some knuckleheads that will post some ridiculous trade proposals on the main board.
Can't blame Leaf fans for being paranoid. It's not as if things have worked out well for us over the past decade. The team has disappointed us in every way imaginable.

Also, it's not hard to see how this four-game skid could easily turn into 9 straight or 8 of 9. And in an abbreviated season, you can't have meltdowns like that.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
That's the scary part. They won some games while being completely dominated. They should already be out of a playoff spot. All the talk about how they dominated the Pens last night is way overblown. It was a close came. Leafs lost.
I haven't heard any of the talk of domination, I just thought they didn't play a bad game.

They were downright terrible during the Great Collapse of 2012 so I think they can recover is all.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
DaveT83*

This team will never play a significant game with

Kessel
Phaneuf

As their 2 best players ... this is not a recording

Closed Thread