HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Blues talking Stewart?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 500
Another proposel from Toronto? Enough already

Old
03-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Ugh, Chris Stewart isn't going anywhere. I hate this stupid speculation that makes zero sense for the American team that Dreger or whoever else in Canada talks about to drum up ratings in Canada by talking about a Canadian team acquiring a great player.
There has been a smoke coming off of this one for awhile. The bottom line is that the Blues are on a budget and Stewart is probably going to be the 3rd guy to get paid this offseason after Petro and Shatty. Not saying a long term deal wont happen with Stewart, but he is certainly a threat to be offer sheeted.

May make sense in the short and long term to move him if we can get a defender and a forward for him if the Blues arent sure that they can afford him in the offseason.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
There has been a smoke coming off of this one for awhile. The bottom line is that the Blues are on a budget and Stewart is probably going to be the 3rd guy to get paid this offseason after Petro and Shatty. Not saying a long term deal wont happen with Stewart, but he is certainly a threat to be offer sheeted.

May make sense in the short and long term to move him if we can get a defender and a forward for him if the Blues arent sure that they can afford him in the offseason.
I think the blues are fine financially and will have no problem keeping everyone.

I also believe that this rumor was going around in january when the blues had a ton of depth at forward and the d was stuggling. This is no longer the case. The d has settled and our injuries at forward have changed this.

It is being talked about because stewart is on fire. And most teams are now wishing they had traded forhim.

Two years ago most blues fans felt stewart would be our best offensive forward. He has a rougb year last year. But this season he is back to playing like a monster.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
gabeliscious

i can see nonis/ carlyle being interested in stewart and i can see kulemin a good fit in st louis but im not sure nonis likes stewart enough to add a significant + to kulemin.

also it would be pretty crazy for st louis to move a guy while he is basically having a career year.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Quinns03

Stewarts on fire right now, and at 25, he's still going to get better. I'd be shocked if we traded him off, especially to Toronto.

We need a d man to work with Petro, and Toronto doesn't have anything we need.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post

Just because the Blues don't go out and spend in Free Agency or take on big contracts in trades does not mean they can't resign their own.

It's because they know they have to resign Petro, Shatty, Stewart, and Berglund that they aren't taking on more money; those guys are their priorities.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Not sure I would move Kulemin for Stewart.

I'm not sure I like Stewart at his worst.

I can handle Kulemin at his worst, he still shows up defensively every game.

I'd also prefer a run at Corey Perry in the summer over having Chris Stewart.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:32 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

I just don't see how the blues make a trade with Kulemin as the centerpiece coming back. The last thing we need are more two-way forwards, especially at winger. If we're trading one of our wingers (Stewart, Oshie, Perron) for another forward it better be for a similar player or upgrade (with us adding) at the center or LD position. Otherwise it's a lateral move (or worst) for a player at the same position and some other unneeded depth player/pick.

Stewart is pretty much the only player on our team that can be viewed as a true sniper. Tarasenko looks to possibly fill that role as well, but he still has a lot to prove. Plus Stewart has been a difference maker for us in just about every game as of late and a reason we're starting to roll.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
bobbyflex

Stewart had a beast game last night. Doubt the blue trade him now.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
My best bet would be Frattin.
Frattin had 7 goals in his first 10 games this year before getting injured when playing with Nazem. Now he's been on shut down line duties and not being able to produce offensively but pairing him up with Nazem again and he seems to be a decent top six winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Frattin

JVR Bozak Kessel

Lupul, Kadri Stewart,

Macarthur Grabovski Frattin would be our top 9 IMO

If the leafs roll three lines, our 1st line would be what ever line Kessel is on.

Lupul/JvR - Bozak - Kessel

Then the 2nd line will be what ever line Kadri is on.

MacA - Kadri - Frattin

Then the 3rd line would be the remaining top 9 forwards

Lupul/JvR - Grabovski - Kulemin/Stewart

So yes even though Stewart is much more valuable than Kulie overall, he would be on the 3rd line.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Not sure I would move Kulemin for Stewart.

I'm not sure I like Stewart at his worst.

I can handle Kulemin at his worst, he still shows up defensively every game.

I'd also prefer a run at Corey Perry in the summer over having Chris Stewart.
asinine. Leafs should take it and run

Old
03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I just don't see how the blues make a trade with Kulemin as the centerpiece coming back. The last thing we need are more two-way forwards, especially at winger. If we're trading one of our wingers (Stewart, Oshie, Perron) for another forward it better be for a similar player or upgrade (with us adding) at the center or LD position. Otherwise it's a lateral move (or worst) for a player at the same position and some other unneeded depth player/pick.

Stewart is pretty much the only player on our team that can be viewed as a true sniper. Tarasenko looks to possibly fill that role as well, but he still has a lot to prove. Plus Stewart has been a difference maker for us in just about every game as of late and a reason we're starting to roll.
Yea, if the Blues are moving Stewart, a center or a defenseman are the pieces that make sense. Specifically, centerpieces like Tyutin, Giordano, or Kulikov. A Kulemin+Gunnarsson package feels a lot like settling and could even be just plain bad. I'd reserve judgment until I could see any new players on the team; but during the rumor/speculation stage, it sounds more like turning the big-market attention crank than it does a real hockey trade.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Pi

Stewart is on a contract year...don't want the Leafs to be the team that overpays. We need to get away from overpaying players.

Our top 6 is just fine. Kulemin+Gunnarsson for Stewart makes the Leafs worse.

Is Stewart worth 5M? He's going to ask for that.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Stewart is on a contract year...don't want the Leafs to be the team that overpays. We need to get away from overpaying players.

imo yes. I've wanted Stewart on the Leafs for a while. If Nonis can make it happen ....

Old
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
pspot

this rumor seems a year to late

Stewart looks to be back in form and can't see why the Blues would move him now

I think the Leafs and Blues are good trading partners but don't think Stewart would be involved

With the way Allen is playing maybe Blues start to consider moving Halak (Elliott better suited to be a back up)

Old
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
imo yes. I've wanted Stewart on the Leafs for a while. If Nonis can make it happen ....
You're getting carried away by his play this year. He's a good top 6 forward but we're paying way too much for our wingers.

5.4M Kessel, 5.25M Lupul, 4.25M JvR, 5M Stewart...add Grabovski getting 5.5M and Bozak getting 3M and that's 28M for a top six..that is good at wing and not down the middle.

20M on wingers, no clear #1C is not a good recipe for success...especially when you factor in that Kostka will likely replace Gunnarsson.

Let's not forget Kessel will get 7M+ from the Leafs easily, he can get 7.5M @ UFA.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
pspot

Quote:
You're getting carried away by his play this year. He's a good top 6 forward but we're paying way too much for our wingers.

5.4M Kessel, 5.25M Lupul, 4.25M JvR, 5M Stewart...add Grabovski getting 5.5M and Bozak getting 3M and that's 28M for a top six..that is good at wing and not down the middle.

20M on wingers, no clear #1C is not a good recipe for success...especially when you factor in that Kostka will likely replace Gunnarsson.

Let's not forget Kessel will get 7M+ from the Leafs easily, he can get 7.5M @ UFA.
this is the 3rd time in the past 4 years Stewart has put up close to a point per game, last year was the norm and the other three years the exception?

if Kessel gets 7+ i hope its with another team.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:

we're replacing a $3m winger (Kulemin) with a $5m winger (Stewart). If Gunnar is included in the deal, who is an RFA and will likely get around $2.5 million, the numbers don't really change.

We have plenty of cap space for next season. and in 2014-15 the cap should go up which will allow the Leafs to accomodate a Kessel and Phaneuf raise (if any)

Old
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

Quote:

That's the part that scares me. It's all basically going to come down to what he wants to get paid. The blues signed Backes in a similar situation, with one year left at RFA, but that was after he had 2 30 goal seasons to go along with his superior defensive play, and at the center position.

That Backes contract pretty much sets the bar on other players on the team, which has helped us sign our other forwards (Oshie, Perron) to pretty fair deals. It's all going to depend on if Stewart will be willing to fall in line with that pay scale or if he's going to want to use the threat of offersheets as leverage against the blues.

If Army can get him signed in line with our other forwards, I think he does. If Stewart is looking for more than that, then he gets moved. If the return doesn't meet Army's standards then we use him for the playoff run and see what happens in the offseason.

Also, I'm not sure what the cap was when Backes signed his deal but the cap dropping will only help the blues case, as I'm sure next year it will be close to what it was back then. We shall see.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
this is the 3rd time in the past 4 years Stewart has put up close to a point per game, last year was the norm and the other three years the exception?
No, that's not what I am saying. I am saying that he's playing better than he was in those years where he was close to to a ~65-70 point player over 82 games.

He's shooting @ 23.5% right now..that's 10% higher than his career.

Look at JvR, he has 14 goals, he's shooting at 15.7% about ~3-4 percent higher because he takes a lot more shots.

Stewart is playing good but you can't have 20-22M invested in wingers. Our top 6 wingers are one of the best in the NHL...and our center depth has to be one of the worst.

Main needs:

#1C
#2D to play with Phaneuf..
Everything else is not that important.

Stewart is playing well for the Blues...you might have to add more to Kulemin+Gunnarsson to get him. This deal would be just as bad as Stempniak for Steen.

Leafs don't need scoring, they just need to replace the few AHL'ers on the team with good NHL D.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
pspot

Quote:
No, that's not what I am saying. I am saying that he's playing better than he was in those years where he was close to to a ~65-70 point player over 82 games.

He's shooting @ 23.5% right now..that's 10% higher than his career.

Look at JvR, he has 14 goals, he's shooting at 15.7% about ~3-4 percent higher because he takes a lot more shots.

Stewart is playing good but you can't have 20-22M invested in wingers. Our top 6 wingers are one of the best in the NHL...and our center depth has to be one of the worst.

Main needs:

#1C
#2D to play with Phaneuf..
Everything else is not that important.

Stewart is playing well for the Blues...you might have to add more to Kulemin+Gunnarsson to get him. This deal would be just as bad as Stempniak for Steen.

Leafs don't need scoring, they just need to replace the few AHL'ers on the team with good NHL D.
didn't know, good point .

If you can't get a #1 C maybe you go with a top 9 instead of a top 6. I know Carlyle in the past has liked to lean on his top end players but feels like this year he's rolling every line.

top 9 with 4 to 5 million range players vs top 6 with a couple 7 to 8 million range players

Old
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
tony d
The Future

Kulemin+Gardiner for Stewart and a 2nd round pick in this June's draft

03-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
we're replacing a $3m winger (Kulemin) with a $5m winger (Stewart). If Gunnar is included in the deal, who is an RFA and will likely get around $2.5 million, the numbers don't really change.

We have plenty of cap space for next season. and in 2014-15 the cap should go up which will allow the Leafs to accomodate a Kessel and Phaneuf raise (if any)
#'s don't change but the team D takes a hit.

Gunnar gets replaced by Kostka...
Kulemin gets replaced by Stewart.

Stewart >>> Kulemin but the Leafs are a top 10 offense anyway. We need our D to be better.

Stewart has 13 goals in 55 shots (the shots rank 117th in the NHL).

Kessel and JvR are both top 15 in shots.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Kulemin+Gardiner for Stewart and a 2nd round pick in this June's draft
Leafs laugh.

Jake Gardiner is not available for what St. Louis has/is willing to offer.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
#'s don't change but the team D takes a hit.

Gunnar gets replaced by Kostka...
Kulemin gets replaced by Stewart.

Stewart >>> Kulemin but the Leafs are a top 10 offense anyway. We need our D to be better.

Stewart has 13 goals in 55 shots (the shots rank 117th in the NHL).

Kessel and JvR are both top 15 in shots.
Gunnar replaced by Gardiner - on a cheap ELC with low cap hit. The numbers will work and quite easily at that

Closed Thread