HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we in the midst of another epic second-half collapse this season?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
ACC1224

vCash: 500
They seem to be right about where they were expected to be, a borderline Playoff Team.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Whats the saying? If you win some you shouldnt have will end up in a losing streak but you lose some you should have won will get you out or something along those lines

Old
03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Whats the saying? If you win some you shouldnt have will end up in a losing streak but you lose some you should have won will get you out or something along those lines
yeah i think the hockey gods have balanced things out..leafs played like ass and beat ottawa and nj, now they play good and lose..also kessel was stoned left right and center earlier in the season and now he scores while breaking his stick

Old
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

This question will be more clear in 3 games. If it happens again though, man oh man, things will get ugly in Toronto, the papers are going to be intolerably hard to read, and dealing with 9 straight years with no playoffs.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
daveleaf

Gunner is hurt but playing pretty well considering. He is pretty good at everything but not a master at any one thing. Holzher is a 4,5 or 6 d-man playing more than he should. Once bodies are moved I am sure he will slide where he should in the lineup but Holzher did not loose us the game last night. What lost us the game was our inability to put the game away and Fleury played great. Kadri and Kamorov score and all this is a mute point.

You guys all talk about d-depth and really we have depth at 4,5 and 6 but not at the top of the lineup. That is where we are hurting. 2 and 3 d-men don't grow on trees and everyone wants one. Liles is a decent player but when Gardiner comes up you have two guys in the lineup that really like to carry the puck.

I like this team and I like this coach. I am elated at how the goaltenders have battled.

I believe in the summer they will have to figure out what to do with Dion because it seems to be difficult to find a player to play with him. Schenn, Aulie, Gardiner and now Holzher. Holzher got beat on the boards last night but I look at the play right before that-the team should have been better.

Wouldn't Aulie look better on this team right now instead of Holzher? That was a genius move by the last guy, what came back is really lighting it up in the AHL. For all the people that bashed Franson he has been the most steady defender on this team.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
kihei

vCash: 4809
This slump seems more self-inflicted somehow, more the result of the coach's quixotic choices on defense than a lack of talent or an all-encompassing team collapse.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This slump seems more self-inflicted somehow, more the result of the coach's quixotic choices on defense than a lack of talent or an all-encompassing team collapse.
I seem to recall the bulk of the blame being directed towards Wilson last year.

It always seems to be the coach's fault around here.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Didact
A Hockey DEMentalist

we like making things harder for ourselves.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
K19*

I hope so. A top-5 or top-10 pick in this loaded draft would be awesome.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
KT7

I think they snap out of it. No doubt theres afew pieces missing and they have their struggles, but so do other teams. I like the way they look this year although as a sens fan it pains me to say it. They played well last night, eventually the breaks will come for rather than against with that kind of effort.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
They seem to be right about where they were expected to be, a borderline Playoff Team.
Yep. And if you look at the schedule, this was always going to be the hardest stretch of the season.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I seem to recall the bulk of the blame being directed towards Wilson last year.

It always seems to be the coach's fault around here.
leafs fans are the best. Calling for Carlye to be fired already lol.

We truly have the most ridiculous fans.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
I hope so. A top-5 or top-10 pick in this loaded draft would be awesome.
Why not make the play-offs with the current roster? Plus, trade Gardiner to Edmonton for their first. Leafs' fans get to watch their team make a play-off run, and then get to watch their team choose a top player in June's draft.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Why not make the play-offs with the current roster? Plus, trade Gardiner to Edmonton for their first. Leafs' fans get to watch their team make a play-off run, and then get to watch their team choose a top player in June's draft.
As soon as we trade Jake to the Oil for their 1st rounder, they'll go on a huge winning streak, down the stretch, and the pick will not be as attractive! Book it!

Old
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
ponder

I don't think we're in the middle of a collapse. Yes, the last 4 games have been rough, but 3 of them have been against the top 2 teams in the east (Pittsburgh and Boston). All teams go through tough stretches, we're going through one now. I still think we sneak into the playoffs.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
In a shortened season, im fine with a collapse. Just dont miss and come in 9th.

However in our last collapse it was over a 20+ game span. We are on a 4 game streak right now. Not really comparable just yet.

Im torn. This team is desperate for a true number 1 center. Is it really beneficial to scrape into the playoffs and get hammered? I guess i just need to know that Nonis can continue building this team without needing to get lottery picks. Otherwise we need to build through the draft.

Hate how this team is in limbo. Not bad, yet not good at the same time. Young core, still time to let the young kids emerge through the ranks.
I think Kadri is demonstrating that he can be a number 1 center. He may not be a bonafide number 1 center on a cup contender. But if he is flanked by awesome wingers like Kessel and JVR, we could at least have a legitimate first line.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Lupul is back shortly, he will help. The last 2 Pittsburgh games were very winnable. So was the Winnie game, we were getting real good chances, I think the 5-3 killed their spirits. Last night there were incredible chances, I don't know how some of them didn't go in.
We had great chances, that's true. But what concerns me is that if we can't execute on a shaky and inconsistent goaltender like Fleury, we won't be able to execute on the plethora of goaltenders that are playing significantly better than Fleury.

Pittsburgh's greatest strength right now is their offense. If we can limit that (which we did, we only gave up 2 goals), then that should have been a win. It wasn't. And that's cause for concern.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

They've been playing better than last year.

They've been playing with 3 rookie defenders.

They've been playing without their 1st. line winger.

They've been adjusting from run and gun to a defensive system.

Their target is the playoffs and it is a reasonable target this year, and failure to achieve it would be indicative of mismanagement.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
daveleaf

If you look at the schedule the next 7-10 games they have a chance to really turn things around.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Can't blame Leaf fans for being paranoid. It's not as if things have worked out well for us over the past decade. The team has disappointed us in every way imaginable.

Also, it's not hard to see how this four-game skid could easily turn into 9 straight or 8 of 9. And in an abbreviated season, you can't have meltdowns like that.
Yeah, that's also an issue. We don't need a 20-game skid to collapse like we did in a full-season. We'll only need a 10-game skid to comparably screw up our chances to get in the playoffs.

ps. -- sorry for not using the multi-quote function.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Man the year we should tank we just should have to get that C, barkov MacKinnon lindholm nichushkin Monahan all top 10

Old
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

I'm not convinced this is a collapse just yet.

Huge game on Saturday to test their character and show what this team is truly made of.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
shaner89

We sure are and we're gonna miss the playoffs because of it. It's becoming an absolute joke.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Al14

Where are our slump busters?

We've been other teams slump busters for years now. When will we get some reciprocation?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Kingstonian84*

People say "oh its just a 4 game loosing streak" when really we've been sliding ever since that 6-0 routing over Montreal. Like I said before the leafs have gotten cocky or complacment they feel they can only play 1/3 of a game full out and expect a win. Case in point last night, they played a solid 40 minutes of smart hockey and were vastly outplaying the pens, then when the 3rd started they just sat back and didnt bother, they figured "oh hey were up 1-0 lets sit back and ride out the win", what happened was they didnt take Pittsburgh's talent seriously at all, end result was 3 goals in a 10 minute span turning what should have been a win or at the the very least a loser point into a flat out bitter loss.

Closed Thread