HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reunite ROR and Landy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2013, 11:09 PM
  #51
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would rather trade Jones than buy him out, IMO.
Then we have to take a very ugly contract back too, like Chicago did when they traded Brian Campbell.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:15 PM
  #52
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would rather trade Jones than buy him out, IMO.
Hopefully there is a team out there that is desperate for offense.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
  #53
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
We can keep 1 million of his contract as well and try to get a heart and soul 3rd liner like McClement or something like that.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
  #54
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
We can keep 1 million of his contract as well and try to get a heart and soul 3rd liner like McClement or something like that.
Toronto wouldn't do that if even if we kept 2 million

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:29 PM
  #55
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Toronto wouldn't do that if even if we kept 2 million
Who says we have to trade with Toronto?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
  #56
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
San Jose would be a great fit for Jones.

We get rid of the contract and they get a guy who needs a change of scenery. Don't consider a Jones bad player because of 20 something games in a half season were 85% of players were sitting on their *****.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
  #57
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Who says we have to trade with Toronto?
Because you mentioned McClemment, who plays for Toronto. And I do consider Jones a bad player, I always have. He had one 27 goal season, and one 20 goal season. The other three seasons he didn't play fully and his 40 game season was the most out of the three in which he recorded 8 goals. In an 82 game season, he's currently on pace for:

76 Games Played
9 Goals
12 Assists
21 Points
+/- -34

Just god awful for a guy who makes 4 million per season. Give me Cody McLeod, he'll put up those numbers for 25% the cost and hit too

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
  #58
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Jones won't be bought out, and it would be stupid to do so.

With his current play he's untradeable.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:48 PM
  #59
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Because you mentioned McClemment, who plays for Toronto. And I do consider Jones a bad player, I always have. He had one 27 goal season, and one 20 goal season. The other three seasons he didn't play fully and his 40 game season was the most out of the three in which he recorded 8 goals. In an 82 game season, he's currently on pace for:

76 Games Played
9 Goals
12 Assists
21 Points
+/- -34

Just god awful for a guy who makes 4 million per season. Give me Cody McLeod, he'll put up those numbers for 25% the cost and hit too
20 goal seasons are now consider "bad".

07-08: Rookie, cannot judge him.
08-09: Second year. can't jude him.
09-10: Was on pace for 30ish goals, but sustained a freak injury.

We all knew he was a streaky goalscorer and we all agree he is playing some piss-poor hockey, but his value is not a low as some people say it is.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:53 PM
  #60
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
20 goal seasons are now consider "bad".

07-08: Rookie, cannot judge him.
08-09: Second year. can't jude him.
09-10: Was on pace for 30ish goals, but sustained a freak injury.

We all knew he was a streaky goalscorer and we all agree he is playing some piss-poor hockey, but his value is not a low as some people say it is.
I didn't say 20 goals were bad, but a streaky goal scorer like David Jones IS NOT worth 4 million per season, especially when he has only hit that mark twice. He does literally nothing else, and when he isn't scoring, he's pretty useless on the ice, as we're seeing this season

And yes, his value is as low as people say it is because the fact that in a trade you mentioned us having to potentially retain some of his salary for it to work. I doubt there is a single team out there that would give anything decent for David Jones right now

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
  #61
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I didn't say 20 goals were bad, but a streaky goal scorer like David Jones IS NOT worth 4 million per season, especially when he has only hit that mark twice. He does literally nothing else, and when he isn't scoring, he's pretty useless on the ice, as we're seeing this season
He was becoming a UFA and was going to get more than 4 million on a open market and I guarantee that. Why was it so bad for the Avs to retain a player coming off a 27 and 20 goal seasons when we have capspace? Was there anybody else better in free agent market the Avs had a SERIOUS chance at?

IMO I would've payed him 3.5 million dollars, which is VERY fair, but I am very sure he would've denied it. And how does 500k make huge difference in salary?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:12 AM
  #62
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He was becoming a UFA and was going to get more than 4 million on a open market and I guarantee that. Why was it so bad for the Avs to retain a player coming off a 27 and 20 goal seasons when we have capspace? Was there anybody else better in free agent market the Avs had a SERIOUS chance at?

IMO I would've payed him 3.5 million dollars, which is VERY fair, but I am very sure he would've denied it. And how does 500k make huge difference in salary?
That's where we differ. You ask if there was anybody else in the free agent market and there was a player who was on our own team available, Peter Mueller. And that may be your value of him, but the MOST I would pay for David Jones is 3 million per season and that's a maximum value, because I know he doesn't do anything except score goals in bunches and when he doesn't, he's useless.

Just imagine a lineup of

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/O'Reilly/Mueller
Mitchell/Stastny/Hejduk

I'd prefer that over Jones in the line up any day

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:22 AM
  #63
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
I LOVE Mueller, but the guy played like less than 60 games in 3 seasons. It was time to move on.

Also Parenteau was signed to replace Mueller, considering we retained Jones.

I disagree with you when it comes to his trade value. I think he is tradable if you retain of his salary and we have the cap to do it.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:26 AM
  #64
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Mueller is gone and he's not a very good hockey player, deal with it.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:36 AM
  #65
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Mueller is gone and he's not a very good hockey player, deal with it.
Yes almighty master


Seriously though, I would take Peter Mueller over David Jones every day of the week and twice on sunday's

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:44 AM
  #66
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Yes almighty master


Seriously though, I would take Peter Mueller over David Jones every day of the week and twice on sunday's
The lesser of two evils, I'd rather we don't have any of them on the roster. Cutting ties with Mueller was the right thing to do, unless you're into paying players to sit at home.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 AM
  #67
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
The lesser of two evils, I'd rather we don't have any of them on the roster. Cutting ties with Mueller was the right thing to do, unless you're into paying players to sit at home.
What are you talking about? His concussion issues? That he has clearly put behind him and is at no more risk than any other player of getting another one?

He came back last season and his conditioning/skating was an issue, it was horrible in fact, but can you blame the kid for wanting to get back so quickly? The concussion's were not his fault.

He is faster, more skilled, smarter, and just a better player than David Jones. Period

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
  #68
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
What are you talking about? His concussion issues? That he has clearly put behind him and is at no more risk than any other player of getting another one?

He came back last season and his conditioning/skating was an issue, it was horrible in fact, but can you blame the kid for wanting to get back so quickly? The concussion's were not his fault.

He is faster, more skilled, smarter, and just a better player than David Jones. Period
He clearly put the concussion issues behind himself, by managing to play in 20+ games without suffering one?

Lets just call spade a spade, he's a injury prone player who shouldn't be anywhere near a top 6 role on a playoff team, much like Jones. And no he isn't a better player than Jones, he's just cheaper.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
  #69
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 0
I think he's tradeable anyway without holding on to some salary.

1) a team pushing for the cup run in (desperate) need of a winger who can score. [There are a lot if you gauge it by the rumors and trade boards.]
2) teams going for the cup who could use a little extra on the 3rd line and may not be able to retain one of their top wingers after the season. [Not a great example, but I see a good chance Horton prices out of Boston's liking this summer and they just lost a 3rd liner to injury.]
3) A younger team with cap room looking to fill winger spots as place holders until prospects are ready to come up.

May not get a great return, but no reason he can't be moved. Just depends what we want back.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
  #70
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He clearly put the concussion issues behind himself, by managing to play in 20+ games without suffering one?

Lets just call spade a spade, he's a injury prone player who shouldn't be anywhere near a top 6 role on a playoff team, much like Jones. And no he isn't a better player than Jones, he's just cheaper.
Yes, injury prone, a guy who missed a whopping 24 games his first three seasons in the league, with the final 13 being because of a concussion he suffered from a very dirty hit.

He came back too early, everyone can agree on that. Do you see signs of post-concussion issues from Mueller this season? Because I certainly don't. He turns 25 in April, still a very young player and he has more than enough potential to become a very good NHL player. His rookie season wasn't a fluke putting up 22 goals and 54 points, there's a reason he was drafted as high as he was.

And yes, he is a better player than Jones; David Jones sucks

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
  #71
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 500
A team like Nashville, San Jose, Philadelphia, Washington (if they decide to go for the playoffs), Phoenix, and maybe Minnesota can all use a player like him. (Note: I wasn't considering team's salary cap situation)

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:57 AM
  #72
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
A team like Nashville, San Jose, Philadelphia, Washington (if they decide to go for the playoffs), Phoenix, and maybe Minnesota can all use a player like him. (Note: I wasn't considering team's salary cap situation)
Nashville would be a perfect place. Then next year Jones can go 7G-6A in 6 games against us.

cause that's how alumni treat us.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
  #73
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Yes, injury prone, a guy who missed a whopping 24 games his first three seasons in the league, with the final 13 being because of a concussion he suffered from a very dirty hit.

He came back too early, everyone can agree on that. Do you see signs of post-concussion issues from Mueller this season? Because I certainly don't. He turns 25 in April, still a very young player and he has more than enough potential to become a very good NHL player. His rookie season wasn't a fluke putting up 22 goals and 54 points, there's a reason he was drafted as high as he was.

And yes, he is a better player than Jones; David Jones sucks
So now Mueller isn't injury prone? Now I've heard it all.

And he so much better than Jones that he managed to score an amazing total of 12 points in 28 games while playing close to 3mins on the PP.

The way some of the poster here act regarding Mueller one could think we let prime Hejduk leave this team.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
  #74
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 22,946
vCash: 966
Honestly at this point what do you have to lose by playing these two? They have obvious chemistry. I would actually go a step further and scratch Jones a few games and let Olver play on that line.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
  #75
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
20 goal seasons are now consider "bad".

07-08: Rookie, cannot judge him.
08-09: Second year. can't jude him.
09-10: Was on pace for 30ish goals, but sustained a freak injury.

We all knew he was a streaky goalscorer and we all agree he is playing some piss-poor hockey, but his value is not a low as some people say it is.
If you only judge him based on half of his career then you make mistakes like paying him 4 million a season.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.