HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why would he now?
I think he got the message that this is a retirement job after 2004.

If the Rangers had an owner who had half a brain, wasnt too busy cheating on his wife, and cared more about the things he owns than his guitar, maybe there'd be some accountability for fielding a mediocre to bad team for over a decade, and then ****ing with the first good team that came along.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think he got the message that this is a retirement job after 2004.

If the Rangers had an owner who had half a brain, wasnt too busy cheating on his wife, and cared more about the things he owns than his guitar, maybe there'd be some accountability for fielding a mediocre to bad team for over a decade, and then ****ing with the first good team that came along.
It's true attitude and mentality are a big part of building something great. The more you care about what you do in life the more sucessful and quality it will be. Unfortunately this is a trickle down effect and mediocre ownership will lead to a mediocre product. The Rangers are at a disadvantage from the start as long as this team is owned by someone whose bottom line is money. He has zero passion for this sport or for this team beyond the dollar signs.

People always laugh and quip at each other about claiming to know more than Sather and Co about what's good for this team, but sometimes it isn't just about hockey and business smarts. Give ownership of this team to someone who loves hockey and the Rangers like most of us. With that passion and the near limitless assets to surround themselves with people who not only love the game, but know it inside and out, something special could be built in a relatively short period of time. Much faster and better than what we have now. Sometimes how much you care and the effort you give is better than how much you know, or the talent you posess. Just ask Ryan Callahan.

03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think Torts is in any danger of losing his job. Even if the Rangers somehow manage to miss the playoffs.
You know the sayings - live by the sword die by the sword, be care careful how you treat people on the way up because on the way down.....

Torts has no friends left, watch everyone start piling on it's going to keep snowballing and things are going to get very ugly. Sather may have no choice all depending on how the players respond

Old
03-15-2013, 10:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
You know the sayings - live by the sword die by the sword, be care careful how you treat people on the way up because on the way down.....

Torts has no friends left, watch everyone start piling on it's going to keep snowballing and things are going to get very ugly. Sather may have no choice all depending on how the players respond
Who is piling on? By all accounts, Torts has the support of those who ultimately have the only say that matters.

03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Who is piling on?
media & fans

Old
03-15-2013, 10:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
media & fans
Since when do they matter?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Since when do they matter?
dawn of time

Old
03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
media & fans
Media and fans???? This is MSG!!! Do u remember ISIAH??? Do u remember the constant FIRE SATHER chants at the garden??? This panic is pathetic!!! I still feel really really REALLY good about this team!!! We will make the playoffs!!! And I'll tell u another thing!!!! When calley is lifting LORD STANLEY... Please then don't jump on the torts bandwagon!!!

Old
03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderalways View Post
Media and fans???? This is MSG!!! Do u remember ISIAH??? Do u remember the constant FIRE SATHER chants at the garden??? This panic is pathetic!!! I still feel really really REALLY good about this team!!! We will make the playoffs!!!
Isiah Thomas is exactly why it won't get that far. Dolan has no appetite to get more of that. But he would defend Isiah if he were still working here, and he will defend Sather all the way to the grave, such is his loyalty. But he has no such loyalty towards Tortorella who has embarrassed his franchise on more than one occasion

Quote:
And I'll tell u another thing!!!! When calley is lifting LORD STANLEY... Please then don't jump on the torts bandwagon!!!
Dude don't count on it, even last year deep in the run I was sick of Tort's schtick and it was painfully obvious the guy had no clue on how to inspire offense. If they win the cup (still a good fighting chance) it's going to be in spite or him, not because of him.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Media and fans???? This is MSG!!! Do u remember ISIAH??? Do u remember the constant FIRE SATHER chants at the garden??? This panic is pathetic!!! I still feel really really REALLY good about this team!!! We will make the playoffs!!! And I'll tell u another thing!!!! When calley is lifting LORD STANLEY... Please then don't jump on the torts bandwagon!!!
Heard this one a few times last year as well, when it was much more likely to happen.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Heard this one a few times last year as well, when it was much more likely to happen.
I never ever said anything about winning the cup last year!!!!! THIS YEAR we will raise LORD STANLEY...

Old
03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Isiah Thomas is exactly why it won't get that far. Dolan has no appetite to get more of that. But he would defend Isiah if he were still working here, and he will defend Sather all the way to the grave, such is his loyalty. But he has no such loyalty towards Tortorella who has embarrassed his franchise on more than one occasion

Dude don't count on it, even last year deep in the run I was sick of Tort's schtick and it was painfully obvious the guy had no clue on how to inspire offense. If they win the cup (still a good fighting chance) it's going to be in spite or him, not because of him.
Won't matter.... Torts will get all the credit when they win the CUP this year!

Old
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
To me, the best case scenario (albeit unlikely) is that Florida fires Dineen after they finish dead last and he replaces Tortorella. The team needs an offensive minded coach. I don't think anyone has done more with less than Dineen. Look at that Panthers roster from last year, and he won the division with them.
That's what Sather probably thought he was getting after firing a defensive guy in Renney.
But this guy changed his stripes.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I never ever said anything about winning the cup last year!!!!! THIS YEAR we will raise LORD STANLEY...

In general, I don't care if you said it or Donald Duck did. It was stupid then and now it's even more so.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
In general, I don't care if you said it or Donald Duck did. It was stupid then and now it's even more so.
I guess we will see In a couple of months...Have a wonderful weekend!

Old
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
McRanger

If Sather didn't lose his job in '03/'04 he is not losing it now. The Rangers have set themselves up to be at least somewhat competitive over the next few years, and just making the playoffs will be enough for the Dolans. The only real hope is that the Rangers somehow eke out a cup in the next year or two and Sather steps down as GM and remains president. But I am not holding my breathe.

Torts has earned some leeway after last year. But I wouldn't be surprised if its less rope than most believe. Torts ability to be abrasive probably doesn't mesh well with Sathers ego. Just conjecture of course, but I could see those types of issues with management being a problem.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
NYRKindms

I Always wondered if this is the reason they have let Keenan stay around the team. Do the occasional coaches corner etc.

I figured Torts would be looking over his shoulder, knowing that if he screws up Keenan would sweep in.

Not the biggest Keenan fan but I always found it odd that the NYR Stanley cup winning coach was waiting in the wings

Old
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
If Sather didn't lose his job in '03/'04 he is not losing it now. The Rangers have set themselves up to be at least somewhat competitive over the next few years, and just making the playoffs will be enough for the Dolans. The only real hope is that the Rangers somehow eke out a cup in the next year or two and Sather steps down as GM and remains president. But I am not holding my breathe.

Torts has earned some leeway after last year. But I wouldn't be surprised if its less rope than most believe. Torts ability to be abrasive probably doesn't mesh well with Sathers ego. Just conjecture of course, but I could see those types of issues with management being a problem.
Good point on Torts.

Sather will retire and we'll win the Cup a year or two after and everyone will say 'Slats set us up!'

Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
I Always wondered if this is the reason they have let Keenan stay around the team. Do the occasional coaches corner etc.

I figured Torts would be looking over his shoulder, knowing that if he screws up Keenan would sweep in.

Not the biggest Keenan fan but I always found it odd that the NYR Stanley cup winning coach was waiting in the wings

Not a chance.

03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post

Not a chance.
stop calling me Shirley

Old
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Torts was very nice to Sam last night..... Now I hope everyone is happy!!!! WHO CARES!!! All I want to happen is for the rangers to win hockey games!!!
Exactly. Who really cares what Tort's responses are to the media after a "no show" by the team?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Suppose the Rangers drop their next three games. That's not something that's out of the realm of possibility here. In Pitt, home against the 'Canes, and in Jersey.

Dave Lozo tweeted last night that the Rangers are 3-9-1 against the East's top 8 teams as they are right now. All three of those teams are in the top 8. 0-2 against the Pens so far this season. Haven't played the Canes yet. 0-1 against the Devils.

0-5-1 in their last 6 against the top teams of the East. This trend is horrifying.

So, if the Rangers drop their next three, or go 0-2-1 or even 0-1-2, let's just say they don't win. Does Torts finally feel the fire burning under his ass?

I have to agree with some posters around here who think Torts's job is safe this season no matter what. If the Rangers don't make the playoffs this year, and if they get off to another mediocre start next season, THAT'S when I think Torts might feel the fire. But realistically, that's too long to wait.

This next stretch of three games could be absolutely tragic to the Rangers this season. Already falling out of the race fast, there needs to be a turnaround and fast. And if the trend continues, it's not going to happen soon.

After these three games it's the Panthers, Caps, and Flyers; games that NEED to be 2 points in regulation.

Last season after 48 games the 8th spot in the East was hovering around 53 points. Rangers are on pace for ~52 points. It's going to be a ****ing grind here at this rate, and they NEED to turn it around. If they **** the bed in the next three games, Torts better be feeling the fire, but I'm sure he won't be.

Not to mention I still think it's horrifying that he called out the teams top guys after the Sabres game and they all amounted to nothing against the Jets last night outside of Lundqvist.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Not to mention I still think it's horrifying that he called out the teams top guys after the Sabres game and they all amounted to nothing against the Jets last night outside of Lundqvist.
They are probably just tuning him out. His schtick is old

Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

My complaint when Tortorella was hired is that the team went to the opposite end of the spectrum to find a coach. They wen't from a nurturing, friend of the players kind of coach to a guy who screams at everyone and everything and is too much of a "learn by fear" kind of coach. I was hoping for Laviolette because I think he falls somewhere in the middle. He's a good developmental coach who can bring the kids along, but he also has a low BS tolerance that works well with vets who get complacent. I think he's a far better tactician than Tortorella is as well.

I see some similarities between this team and the 08-09 Pens. Not in the sense that we're on the cusp of a cup, but the fact that a very fiery, defense first, my way or the highway coach is at the helm and the team has perhaps reached a point where it can only go so far on that system. Therrien got them to a point that they were struggling to live up to last seasons success and was having problems getting the team to continue to buy in to what he had put in place. Bylsma stepped in with fresh ideas and a better attitude, and piggy-backed off of the system that was in place. He opened up the taps just enough offensively that they found a perfect balance of offense and defense. That coaching change, coupled with a key trade by Shero (Whitney/Kunitz) two weeks before, were the catalysts that propelled that team to the ultimate prize.

Now, is it completely the same situation? Of course it isn't. However, when you look at the Pens from 07-08 getting so close to a cup, then struggling to make the playoffs halfway through the season the following year, it draws some interesting comparisons between us and them. Naturally the lockout is a big player in things as well.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Now, is it completely the same situation? Of course it isn't. However, when you look at the Pens from 07-08 getting so close to a cup, then struggling to make the playoffs halfway through the season the following year, it draws some interesting comparisons between us and them. Naturally the lockout is a big player in things as well.
Success hangover. It happens to a lot of teams. You need good leadership (both coaching and players) to make sure the team stays focused and retains the work ethic that got them where they were the previous year. This year's team is not less talented than last year's version. The energy and work ethic hasn't been there. I think the coaching staff has failed to keep these guys going. There seems to be a sense of "Oh well, we just have to show up and the rest will take care of itself". Feet not moving. Lack of attention to small details. Something has to give. And as always, it's easier to replace the coach than the team.

Closed Thread