HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Discussion: Should Tampa Bay Re-Address Their Goaltending?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:44 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Ohlund sucks.

Purcell would fit on Vancouver's 4th line and 3rd line if injuries persist. zero upside there.

I don't think Vancouver would flip Schneider for Purcell.
Also - don't be this poster, people. There are enough bad posters on this site.

Most teams would do a ton to get someone like Purcell.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Thats... thats actually not bad at all. Bravo. I'd look long and hard at that and probably pull the trigger.
I think it's way to much to give up for that return.
Purcell>Bernier
Garon> Richardson
?? pick = Martinez

I can't see a use for Richardson and I think it would be the wrong thing to bring in another young goalie. It could easily destroy Lindbäcks confidence, because it would show him, that the management isn't happy with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Guys don't you know we HAVE to make the playoffs, so let's give up whatever it takes to do that. If we don't make the playoffs how are we gonna survive financially, might as well just fold the team. Stamkos is an alright C and Hedman an average D but what we really need is an old goaltender, maybe a package of the 2 can get us one.
Not sure if serious

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I think it's way to much to give up for that return.
Purcell>Bernier
Garon> Richardson
?? pick = Martinez

I can't see a use for Richardson and I think it would be the wrong thing to bring in another young goalie. It could easily destroy Lindbäcks confidence, because it would show him, that the management isn't happy with him.

Not sure if serious
Purcell doesn't have that much more value than Bernier. You have to give to get, and Bernier has great chops. Keep in mind i'm looking at this in a bubble, and not in the grand scheme of both teams, positions, and needs.

Also, you highly undervalue Alec Martinez. This is a kid that plays anywhere from 15 to 21 minutes and does not look out of place doing it, only knock on him is that he gets banged up a bit.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Purcell doesn't have that much more value than Bernier. You have to give to get, and Bernier has great chops. Keep in mind i'm looking at this in a bubble, and not in the grand scheme of both teams, positions, and needs.

Also, you highly undervalue Alec Martinez. This is a kid that plays anywhere from 15 to 21 minutes and does not look out of place doing it, only knock on him is that he gets banged up a bit.
I don't know Martinez very well, but he played between 11 and 18 min the last 5 games and thats really not much for a defender I am interested in for Tampa. His hits number is unspectacular if you compare them to the rest of the team (at least they would be near the top for the Bolts), but he seems to block shots pretty well.

And to be honest I think Tampa fans undervalue Purcell a bit as of late. He is not as good as last year, but he is still top line guy (point wise) and I totally expect a lot better game on a better team. He is worth more than a late first round pick and thats what I think is Berniers value right now.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
HoseEmDown

We don't need Bernier, he hasn't proven much more than Lindback. Lindback should be fine and we have Vasilevskiy waiting in the wings. If we are gonna trade Purcell we need to get a D back, that's a much bigger issue for us than goaltending.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Say what you want but its basic statistics...
TBH, you're pretty far off on your assumptions about shot quality vs quantity.

This is hockey, not baseball, stats are not very telling (especially defensive stats).

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:23 AM
vanwest

A pretty predictable result.
Yzerman rolled the dice on a young unproven goalie and appears to have lost (at least so far). Playing behind Nashville's great defence last year probably inflated his stats to an extent and he had limited games anyways. I think we'll see the coach canned first of the team doesn't improve. Then maybe they'll try for a proven NHL starter.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Just wait for Andrei

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
A pretty predictable result.
Yzerman rolled the dice on a young unproven goalie and appears to have lost (at least so far). Playing behind Nashville's great defence last year probably inflated his stats to an extent and he had limited games anyways. I think we'll see the coach canned first of the team doesn't improve. Then maybe they'll try for a proven NHL starter.
Lindback has looked great the last couple starts. Our offense just hasn't been scoring at the same pace. We don't want Bernier and we most definitely aren't trading Hedman.. are you guys serious with this crap? I mean really Hedman for Bernier? How about we give you Malone and Garon for Quick instead? Pretty close right? No.. not even close.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Lindback has looked great the last couple starts. Our offense just hasn't been scoring at the same pace. We don't want Bernier and we most definitely aren't trading Hedman.. are you guys serious with this crap? I mean really Hedman for Bernier? How about we give you Malone and Garon for Quick instead? Pretty close right? No.. not even close.
I never made any mention of who you should trade for so I'm not sure why the response is directed at me.
You take an unproven young goalie who has played a few NHL games behind two all world defencemen and then expect him to shine on a new team with questionable defence and the result is entirely predictable.
He's barely got a .900 save percentage and goaltending has been a big weakness on a talented offensive team. A pretty poor move by Yzerman, IMO.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:08 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
If Tampa needs something to tide them over, maybe Kipper for a 1st + B Prospect? Maybe a conditional pick?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
I never made any mention of who you should trade for so I'm not sure why the response is directed at me.
You take an unproven young goalie who has played a few NHL games behind two all world defencemen and then expect him to shine on a new team with questionable defence and the result is entirely predictable.
He's barely got a .900 save percentage and goaltending has been a big weakness on a talented offensive team. A pretty poor move by Yzerman, IMO.
It's not a poor move. I can recall a lot of fans that said in summer, everything above .900 should be good for Lindbäck in his first year, we didn't expect much more than it is right now. If he stops letting in a softie per game (hasn't done it for three games or so now) he is great. Tampa is happy with him and the team should even be successful if he lets in a softie per game. Tampa plays run and gun hockey, so we can't expect much more from our No 1 goalie than 2.80 GAA and we have a unproven one. I expect his GAA to be at 2.90 and a SV% around .905 at the end of the season.
This team is made to win games 6-4 and not 2-1 and I think it's though for a goalie to understand that 3 goals per game can mean that he played great. Give him the time he deserves.

By the way I don't think he meant you with the Hedman sentence.

It seems as many HF posters think we are in win now mode, but we went into the season with a team talented enough to make the playoffs, but they struggle while having a bright future, so if it's not this season, we can wait (one more). The only guy i feel bad for is MSL, but he has two more years (at least) and by than we should be a contender, I only hope SY decides the right way when it comes to the coaching desicion.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
It would be a mistake to give up on a 24 year old goaltender who has been a starter for only 18 games in his NHL career and has recently played much better.
Even though I don't think it'll work out in the end for Lindback in TB, this is the correct answer.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Also - don't be this poster, people. There are enough bad posters on this site.

Most teams would do a ton to get someone like Purcell.
I concur with this statement.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

What would TB give for Hiller or Fasth this summer? or will they just look to overhaul the D?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
What would TB give for Hiller or Fasth this summer? or will they just look to overhaul the D?
Neither, we tryed to overhaul the D the last 3 summers and it failed, I expect a coaching overhaul along with rookies. Gudas had already 2 great games and Barberio and Korobov can't stay in the A much longer.
So I would say a overhaul from within the org. Because on paper our current D is great as well. But they just play way under their possibilitys (aside from Hedman and Salo)
A D of:

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas/Aulie
Gudas/Aulie-Barberio
Korobov + a vet

is my dream for next year. Maybe put Jones in somewhere. Either way this looks to me like a good D core. I really hope we can shop Brewer, Lee and Bergeron through TD and draft day

Old
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95;61708269[B
]It's not a poor move. I can recall a lot of fans that said in summer, everything above .900 should be good for Lindbäck in his first year, we didn't expect much more than it is right now[/B]. If he stops letting in a softie per game (hasn't done it for three games or so now) he is great. Tampa is happy with him and the team should even be successful if he lets in a softie per game. Tampa plays run and gun hockey, so we can't expect much more from our No 1 goalie than 2.80 GAA and we have a unproven one. I expect his GAA to be at 2.90 and a SV% around .905 at the end of the season.
This team is made to win games 6-4 and not 2-1 and I think it's though for a goalie to understand that 3 goals per game can mean that he played great. Give him the time he deserves.

By the way I don't think he meant you with the Hedman sentence.

It seems as many HF posters think we are in win now mode, but we went into the season with a team talented enough to make the playoffs, but they struggle while having a bright future, so if it's not this season, we can wait (one more). The only guy i feel bad for is MSL, but he has two more years (at least) and by than we should be a contender, I only hope SY decides the right way when it comes to the coaching desicion.
I agree that acquiring Lindback was not a poor move. He could turn out to be a good goalie so it's far too early to write him off.
I think though it was a poor move throwing him in as your number one. A solid vet who could start the majority of the games would have been the way to go, IMO. Let Lindback ease himself into a more prominent role without the pressure. I'm not very impressed with Yzerman's moves over the last year. He also needed to address the defensive issues and Salo while a good player was never the answer.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
VanTampaFan

I've said it before and will say it again: I would love to see either one of the two Vancouver goalies in Tampa as they are both very good.

I'd also like to see Patrick Kane on a line with Stammer too, but thats not going to happen.

That being said: I DO NOT want to see SFY trade away organizational depth, young stars that are maturing, or a piece like Hedman. Especially not for the sake of two months left in this shortened season and with what is widely believed to be a very deep draft.

I am probably going to be flamed for this but the one piece that I can see being moved by SFY would be Brett Connelly. The emergence of Conacher along with Nametsnikov and Kucherov in the wings; and tonnes of offensive talent in the top 10 of this coming draft makes him possibly the most movable piece for the lightning right now. I see it much more likely for SFY to target a Dman of the same relative age and pedigree of Connelly in more of a "Hockey Trade" as opposed to an aging veteran. Jake Gardiner maybe?

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
I agree that acquiring Lindback was not a poor move. He could turn out to be a good goalie so it's far too early to write him off.
I think though it was a poor move throwing him in as your number one. A solid vet who could start the majority of the games would have been the way to go, IMO. Let Lindback ease himself into a more prominent role without the pressure. I'm not very impressed with Yzerman's moves over the last year. He also needed to address the defensive issues and Salo while a good player was never the answer.
It was said (from SY and Boucher) Lindbäck and Garon should split playing time, but Garon is injured right now and before somehow Boucher ignored his own words.
I think SY did a solid job, no Tampa fan did expect what Salo brings to the team, well and I think the Carle contract was a victim of the market and everybody expects a lot more from Carle, in summer Tampa fans were really happy with the D SY got together.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
chasespace

The team is better than last year, that is for certain.

Something just isn't clicking with them. If they miss the playoffs this year I expect the coaching staff to be overhauled and then if they stay stagnant(performance wise) or get worse then I expect Yzerman to blow the team up.

Tampa is most likely going to be a seller at the deadline.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
When he played for Nashville he looked amazing. What's changed? Could it be the defense in front of him?

I haven't seen 1 tampa game; I can imagine his confidence has been rocked, but has he let in a lot of softies or something?
This simply is not true. Lindback was okay in Nashville, certainly not "amazing". This reminds me of how TOR fans claim Toskala was "great" in SJ then came to Toronto and sucked.

The problem is, Lindback was only okay behind an amazing defense in Nashville and now he looks terrible behind a below average defense in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
The team is better than last year, that is for certain.

Something just isn't clicking with them. If they miss the playoffs this year I expect the coaching staff to be overhauled and then if they stay stagnant(performance wise) or get worse then I expect Yzerman to blow the team up.

Tampa is most likely going to be a seller at the deadline.
The "something" that isn't clicking is goaltending. There is no team in the league that can win consistently with a goalie that puts up a save% less than 0.900. Put any goalie that can put up a 0.915 there consistently and you guys would be winning the division and things would be looking great - like they were at the start of the season.

For those saying Tampa has a bright future, I disagree. MSL is the engine that drives things and he's not getting any younger. Stamkos is a great player but can't get it done on his own.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Matt Damon

Maybe they should go after a UFA like Nabokov or Backstrom in the summer. Someone with a proven track record that can play 60 games and let Lindback play 25-30ish. I don't think they should give up on Lindback yet, but the guy was an insulated back-up in the West. It should come as no shock that he's taking some lumps as the starter in the more wide open East.

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

How about impending UFA Jimmy Howard?

Last edited by RedMenace: 03-15-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Forget the rights...
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
This simply is not true. Lindback was okay in Nashville, certainly not "amazing". This reminds me of how TOR fans claim Toskala was "great" in SJ then came to Toronto and sucked.

The problem is, Lindback was only okay behind an amazing defense in Nashville and now he looks terrible behind a below average defense in Tampa.

The "something" that isn't clicking is goaltending. There is no team in the league that can win consistently with a goalie that puts up a save% less than 0.900. Put any goalie that can put up a 0.915 there consistently and you guys would be winning the division and things would be looking great - like they were at the start of the season.

For those saying Tampa has a bright future, I disagree. MSL is the engine that drives things and he's not getting any younger. Stamkos is a great player but can't get it done on his own.
Our goaltending has been better than last year and Lindback is steadily improving. In the beginning of the year it wasn't good and the offense was, now the goaltending isand the offense isn't. We haven't played a good team game for 60 minutes for awhile.
Marty is a great player but we are going to be plenty fine when he retires. He doesn't carry this team anymore like people think. I'm not opposed to trading him.
We need D more than goaltending anyway. So all these goalie proposals make no sense.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
We'll happily trade them Vokoun for a rental this season if they need it. Heck, would even trade him in the off season.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote