HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

ALL Non-Hockey Sports Discussion 2012-2013

Old
03-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Dolphins had a pretty good day today.

They basically just need a OL, TE, and CB's now.
Agreed. I hope they go after Asomugha now that he's been released (if they can get him at a decent price). The other guy I wish they go after is Derek Cox (lesser known) because he's got the same level of experience as Sean Smith (and basically same age) but has pretty consistently pulled down 4 INTs/yr so far (except 2011 when he only played 6 games). But he's drawing interest from the Bucs & Chargers.

On the TE front, they really need 2 guys if you ask me since they lost Fasano too. He was a solid blocker and we could use a replacement for him. With Bennett already signed, I wouldnt mind going with someone like Ben Watson.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Agreed. I hope they go after Asomugha now that he's been released (if they can get him at a decent price). The other guy I wish they go after is Derek Cox (lesser known) because he's got the same level of experience as Sean Smith (and basically same age) but has pretty consistently pulled down 4 INTs/yr so far (except 2011 when he only played 6 games). But he's drawing interest from the Bucs & Chargers.

On the TE front, they really need 2 guys if you ask me since they lost Fasano too. He was a solid blocker and we could use a replacement for him. With Bennett already signed, I wouldnt mind going with someone like Ben Watson.
Cox is nice, and could be had for a bit less than he is worth because of the injuries.

TE wise, I think they sign Keller today, who I would rather have than Cook yesterday, especially for that money. So if they sign Keller, that answers the TE position, partially. The Fins run a lot of two TE sets, so they are going to have to draft a TE.

Rumors are that the Fins are going to be aggressive in the draft, without much else being mentioned. I think they either move up to get Milliner, or they trade up to get two picks in the first. If they go the latter, they can go Rhodes and Eifert, Rhodes and Austin, Eifert and Austin, etc.

With Long signing with the Rams now, I think they really need to go after Winston now. If they can get Winston, and add a CB like Lewis, and maybe a DE like Bennett, then with a strong draft, the Fins should contend for the division. It really all comes down to adding a tackle, CB, and TE.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Cox is nice, and could be had for a bit less than he is worth because of the injuries.

TE wise, I think they sign Keller today, who I would rather have than Cook yesterday, especially for that money. So if they sign Keller, that answers the TE position, partially. The Fins run a lot of two TE sets, so they are going to have to draft a TE.

Rumors are that the Fins are going to be aggressive in the draft, without much else being mentioned. I think they either move up to get Milliner, or they trade up to get two picks in the first. If they go the latter, they can go Rhodes and Eifert, Rhodes and Austin, Eifert and Austin, etc.

With Long signing with the Rams now, I think they really need to go after Winston now. If they can get Winston, and add a CB like Lewis, and maybe a DE like Bennett, then with a strong draft, the Fins should contend for the division. It really all comes down to adding a tackle, CB, and TE.
Yeah I agree that it looks like we will be signing Keller who's coming to visit. Guys usually dont visit unless they are almost sure they are signing and just want to verify some things. Keller would at least fill part of that hole as you said. I agree they need to draft a TE too and still work on developing Egnew, even if he seems like a probable bust, and even Kyle Miller too who they picked up late in the yr. With 2 TE sets, I think you need 4 guys on your roster.

I hope they are very aggressive in the draft. We definitely need to get some playmakers with our first 5 picks in some fashion (even if thats not 5 players selected). Someone said it on the radio today but we have plenty of meat & potatoes and now we need some filet mignon. I hope we do draft a CB and TE with 2 of those picks. If we ended up with Rhodes & Eifert I'd be happy for sure. I dont think we can get both though and still fill all of our holes.

Besides just going after an OT to replace Long, they need to still figure out a guy to help Lamar Miller in the backfield too. Reggie Bush signed with the Lions today and we dont have anyone with experience back there. Daniel Thomas has been concussion prone too and that leaves us with very little after Miller.

And then we still need to get someone who can rush the passer opposite Cam Wake. I was thinking with our 1st rounder we should consider a DE since there is usually a lot of value in the range where we are picking at that position. I'd love to get a guy like Ziggy Ansah personally but looks like he will go before we pick now.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Yeah I agree that it looks like we will be signing Keller who's coming to visit. Guys usually dont visit unless they are almost sure they are signing and just want to verify some things. Keller would at least fill part of that hole as you said. I agree they need to draft a TE too and still work on developing Egnew, even if he seems like a probable bust, and even Kyle Miller too who they picked up late in the yr. With 2 TE sets, I think you need 4 guys on your roster.

I hope they are very aggressive in the draft. We definitely need to get some playmakers with our first 5 picks in some fashion (even if thats not 5 players selected). Someone said it on the radio today but we have plenty of meat & potatoes and now we need some filet mignon. I hope we do draft a CB and TE with 2 of those picks. If we ended up with Rhodes & Eifert I'd be happy for sure. I dont think we can get both though and still fill all of our holes.

Besides just going after an OT to replace Long, they need to still figure out a guy to help Lamar Miller in the backfield too. Reggie Bush signed with the Lions today and we dont have anyone with experience back there. Daniel Thomas has been concussion prone too and that leaves us with very little after Miller.

And then we still need to get someone who can rush the passer opposite Cam Wake. I was thinking with our 1st rounder we should consider a DE since there is usually a lot of value in the range where we are picking at that position. I'd love to get a guy like Ziggy Ansah personally but looks like he will go before we pick now.
I was thinking defense in the first round, but with the Fins checking Tavon Austin out, I would choose him. He is explosive, shifty, and would be perfect in the slot. Him, Wallace, and Miller would give us ridiculous speed on offense, and we would give defenses fits. I think its going to cost too much to move up for Milliner, and while we can go with Rhodes or Eifert at 12, Austin's explosiveness is rare. Defenses would definitely have to pick their poison, and you'd probably see defenses double up Wallace less and less.

Miller is going to be our #1 back, and I agree, we need to get someone else because I do not trust Thomas. I do want to see Jonas Gray get a shot, because the kid has some talent. They can go after a Bradshaw or Turner, but Id rather see them use the money elsewhere, and address the RB position later on.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Keller signs a one year deal with the Fins. Another solid move by Ireland. Im pissed that he missed on Bennett, but there are other DEs on the market. Besides, both he and Wake play on the same side, so Im not sure how that would have worked.

Now...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ireland, draft Austin in the first round! Wallace, Hartline, Austin, Keller, and Miller would be such a difficult matchup for any team in the AFC IMO. It would be the most prolific offense we have had since Marino and the Marks brothers. We can get a TE in the second round, and maybe get back in the first with Bess and a 2nd, and get Eifert. April cannot get here soon enough!

Also, speculation is that Long is leaning towards re-signing with us, which would be HUGE!

Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Keller signs a one year deal with the Fins. Another solid move by Ireland. Im pissed that he missed on Bennett, but there are other DEs on the market. Besides, both he and Wake play on the same side, so Im not sure how that would have worked.

Now...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ireland, draft Austin in the first round! Wallace, Hartline, Austin, Keller, and Miller would be such a difficult matchup for any team in the AFC IMO. It would be the most prolific offense we have had since Marino and the Marks brothers. We can get a TE in the second round, and maybe get back in the first with Bess and a 2nd, and get Eifert. April cannot get here soon enough!

Also, speculation is that Long is leaning towards re-signing with us, which would be HUGE!
Yeah I dont mind adding Keller though Bennett would have been better. Still Keller is gonna help us next season for sure. I'm not worried about the DE help cause we'll be getting someone at some point. I saw Abraham is going to be here for a visit too so he would be a solid vet to play opposite Wake.

I dont really feel strong enough to draft Austin as early as #12. We would have a similar enough offense just keeping Bess in the slot over Austin who probably projects to play there. I'd rather us draft a CB to address that need in the 1st round at our pick. I just want a playmaker of some kinda with our top 3 picks...on both sides of the ball.

I think Long has come back down to earth regarding how much money he's gonna command. That is definitely good news for us trying to bring him back...maybe on a 1 yr deal like Keller would be good for both sides. We still could use some depth on the O-line so I expect we take a lineman with one of our early picks too in the draft.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Erick

Dolphins sign Brandon Gibson. Seems unnecessary.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Dolphins sign Brandon Gibson. Seems unnecessary.
Yea I don't get it.

W/e. Can't hurt having better receivers

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

WC offense runs a lot of 4 and 5 wide sets, so it's a good move to stock up at WR. We are five spots filled now, so I guess we'll see another WR late in the draft.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
WC offense runs a lot of 4 and 5 wide sets, so it's a good move to stock up at WR. We are five spots filled now, so I guess we'll see another WR late in the draft.
I don't know if they do draft another WR though. They have Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson as the top 4 guys and then still have Mathews, Binns, and M.Moore (not including Fuller as a probable practice squad guy). Seems like they are overloaded already at that position now that they won't be addressing it in this draft.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:25 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
I don't know if they do draft another WR though. They have Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson as the top 4 guys and then still have Mathews, Binns, and M.Moore (not including Fuller as a probable practice squad guy). Seems like they are overloaded already at that position now that they won't be addressing it in this draft.
They have five at the moment. They have the top four, and Mathews, who is going to be a player IMO. Binns and Moore will probably be gone after next season, if not earlier if they pick up someone else.

They do need to figure out the tackle position quickly. Id like to see either Long re-signed or Winston brought in. We can have the best skill position players, but they wont do any good if we cant protect Tanny. Hopefully Long signs since he left St Louis without a deal.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
They have five at the moment. They have the top four, and Mathews, who is going to be a player IMO. Binns and Moore will probably be gone after next season, if not earlier if they pick up someone else.

They do need to figure out the tackle position quickly. Id like to see either Long re-signed or Winston brought in. We can have the best skill position players, but they wont do any good if we cant protect Tanny. Hopefully Long signs since he left St Louis without a deal.
Marlon Moore though is a RFA and they like him because he can play on special teams too so you can count him among the guys we have currently. I know the one thing that I've read that the team wants is a big red zone target (think Oronde Gadsden). None of the guys I see out there would fit that and I think that means we will go with what we already have into next season unless they decide to trade/waive Bess. I like Mathews too from what I have seen and think he may develop into a guy that could replace one of Gibson or Bess by next yr.

I think the team is waiting on Long at this point to work out a deal with him first & foremost. If they can get him for around $8M for next season, that makes sense. And I think signing him to a 1 yr deal is the best choice so that he proves he's healthy and can get a long term deal if he does. That'll delay our need to make a move of Jonathan Martin to LT too.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Well we are completey set, and loaded at WR. Having Wallace is going to do wonders for this team!! Between Hartline, Gibson, Bess and now Keller someone will always be open and Tannehill has a **** load of weapons at his disposal. He should have real nice numbers this season. On top of all those weapons at WR, thats not even mentioning Miller coming out of the backfield. I think we are going to see a ton of TDs this year instead of settling for FGs.

I have a feeling Long is coming back. He left STL with no contract and now other teams are getting in contact, but I think he used STL for leverage in money with us. Not sure what the Rams offered, but I have a feeling it was either 8-8.5 mil/season. He said he was wanting more, but I think we come in and offer him at least 9. Once that happens, he signs with Miami.

I think with the revamping of the WRs/TE, I think we are going to see a mostly defensive draft, especially the secondary. We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and I would absolutely LOVE it if Ireland did something where we drafted Milliner and Trufant. That combination would be amazing in our secondary.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Well we are completey set, and loaded at WR. Having Wallace is going to do wonders for this team!! Between Hartline, Gibson, Bess and now Keller someone will always be open and Tannehill has a **** load of weapons at his disposal. He should have real nice numbers this season. On top of all those weapons at WR, thats not even mentioning Miller coming out of the backfield. I think we are going to see a ton of TDs this year instead of settling for FGs.

I have a feeling Long is coming back. He left STL with no contract and now other teams are getting in contact, but I think he used STL for leverage in money with us. Not sure what the Rams offered, but I have a feeling it was either 8-8.5 mil/season. He said he was wanting more, but I think we come in and offer him at least 9. Once that happens, he signs with Miami.

I think with the revamping of the WRs/TE, I think we are going to see a mostly defensive draft, especially the secondary. We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and I would absolutely LOVE it if Ireland did something where we drafted Milliner and Trufant. That combination would be amazing in our secondary.
No way Jake gets 9. I think if he were to sign here, its going to be in the $7-8 million range. Its between us and the Rams, and I think we will know by Monday at the latest.

What Im really interested in right now is Elvis Dumervil. He is a hometown guy, born in Miami and played HS ball in Miami. He would probably cost us close to $9 million to sign him, so we would probably have to let someone go. He wants to play for the Fins, and he would be the biggest acquisition for us. Yes, even bigger than Wallace. Him and Wake on the ends would be amazing, and our front seven would be one of the best in the game. By adding a Dumervil, it will relieve the pressure on the CBs, because the opposing QBs will not have all day to pass. The defense would be so good, and it will allow our offense to take more chances. Getting Long re-signed, and adding Dumervil gives us the division IMO, especially considering we have a boatload of picks in the draft as well.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:45 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I'm sorry, but I just don't feel the optimism that many of you do.

Ireland still has the stench of Parcells and a history of failure & UFA WR's generally disappoint.

I'm (sadly) expecting another year of mediocrity.

LeBatard pretty much nailed my feelings in his article today:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/1...d-to-feel.html

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post

Ireland still has the stench of Parcells and a history of failure & UFA WR's generally disappoint.

I don't really think they've improved that much either.

At the end of the day, the team that has Tom Brady is still the favorite to win the division. Even if the Dolphins sign Elvis Dumervil.

This free agency thing usually only works in basketball.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I agree with the two posts above. I still don't have incredibly high hopes for a playoff spot like most seem to. It may take a few seasons of building. I think these moves are a good step in the right direction for the future, but the Patriots should easily win the division again. I do see us finishing ahead of the Jets and Bills, whom at the moment really don't look impressive at all.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
No way Jake gets 9. I think if he were to sign here, its going to be in the $7-8 million range. Its between us and the Rams, and I think we will know by Monday at the latest.

What Im really interested in right now is Elvis Dumervil. He is a hometown guy, born in Miami and played HS ball in Miami. He would probably cost us close to $9 million to sign him, so we would probably have to let someone go. He wants to play for the Fins, and he would be the biggest acquisition for us. Yes, even bigger than Wallace. Him and Wake on the ends would be amazing, and our front seven would be one of the best in the game. By adding a Dumervil, it will relieve the pressure on the CBs, because the opposing QBs will not have all day to pass. The defense would be so good, and it will allow our offense to take more chances. Getting Long re-signed, and adding Dumervil gives us the division IMO, especially considering we have a boatload of picks in the draft as well.
It is down between MIA and STL and money is the only issue why a deal isnt done yet. Miami wants him back, and its obvious Long wants to be back, he just wants to get paid. The $7-$8 mil range is probably what STL offered him which is why he didnt sign it because I think thats how much the Fins offered him to begin with and he thought that was too low. He is using STL to up his offer from Miami and I think its going to happen. He got the clean bill of health from the Rams, so here is where Miami needs to step up and get it done! I guarantee he gets at least $9 mil a year from Miami. I think he was looking for like $11 mil a year, so give sign him for $9 mil a year with a lot of incentives.

As for Dumervill, him signing here would be fantastic. Wake on one side, Dumervill on the other. Can you say **** yeah!!!! That combo would be insane and give us one of the best pass rushes in the entire league. Dumervill has already said he would like to play for Miami, the only problem is Miami hasnt contacted him yet. I dont know why, but you are still going to get at least another 3 or 4 real good years from Dumervill. Ireland needs to on his phone and hammer out a deal and bring him to the Fins.

I really think our draft is going to be mostly defensive and if they sign Dumevill, then they are going at least 3 or 4 guys in the secondary for this draft. I still say to draft BOTH Milliner and Trufant. Vaccarro is a real high possibility too. If there are only 2 more moves Ireland makes in Free Agency, it needs to be resign Long, and get Dumervill here.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:

Basically yes, until all these signings. Normally Ireland signs and drafts guys that Parcells would. He was Parcells puppet and did what he said and even when Parcells left he kept the same crap mentality of "old school" football which isnt the way it is anymore. It would always be all the "safe, boring" players and picks. Never took a chance, always played it safe. Now with Ireland having his last chance to get this thing turned around, and feeling A LOT of pressure for what could be his last year, he finally signed the playmakers and brought in the right players. Of course he overpaid, but he gave us younger and better players in the positions he fixed. That is so unlike him, but he nailed it so far. Its so pathetic that it took this long, but I think he finally got it into his head that you need brains and balls to go make signings like this and not just sit back and play it safe all the time. It may seem to some that he just signed players because we had to and all this money to throw around, but for once he actually gave us the right players.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Basically yes, until all these signings. Normally Ireland signs and drafts guys that Parcells would. He was Parcells puppet and did what he said and even when Parcells left he kept the same crap mentality of "old school" football which isnt the way it is anymore. It would always be all the "safe, boring" players and picks. Never took a chance, always played it safe. Now with Ireland having his last chance to get this thing turned around, and feeling A LOT of pressure for what could be his last year, he finally signed the playmakers and brought in the right players. Of course he overpaid, but he gave us younger and better players in the positions he fixed. That is so unlike him, but he nailed it so far. Its so pathetic that it took this long, but I think he finally got it into his head that you need brains and balls to go make signings like this and not just sit back and play it safe all the time. It may seem to some that he just signed players because we had to and all this money to throw around, but for once he actually gave us the right players.
I hope you are right.

I just refuse to set myself up for disappointment.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.... it's been so long since I've been able to enjoy Dolphins football.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
I don't really think they've improved that much either.

At the end of the day, the team that has Tom Brady is still the favorite to win the division. Even if the Dolphins sign Elvis Dumervil.

This free agency thing usually only works in basketball.
No way man. Tom Brady lost his best target (Walker), and second best WR (Lloyd), and signed a WR that is worse than either of them. They still have Brady, and their two outstanding TEs, but that is the only positions that trump the Fins. The Fins improved much more than you are giving them credit for. They got one of the better playmaking WRs in the game, who also happens to be one of the fastest players in the game, period. Got rid of two aging LBers, for two players entering their prime, who are faster, better at blitzing, and can cover just fine. And the upgraded at WR and TE overall. If Long re-signs, the offense is going to be MUCH improved over last season. Dont understand how you think this team didnt improve "that much!"

Also, if you add a Dumervil, they are winning the division. If you dont think that Wake and Dumervil on the ends, with Starks, Soliai, Vernon, Wheeler, and Ellerbe isnt destruction, then you need to watch a bit more football my friend. You dont even need pro bowl caliber CBs with that front seven, because QBs will not have time to get to their five and seven step drops. Wake and Dumervil would be the best DE combination in the game, and yes, would even put a bit of fear in Brady's eyes. I still doubt it happens, but regardless, this team is already much improved, and only will get better once the draft is over with.

Quote:
I hope you are right.

I just refuse to set myself up for disappointment.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.... it's been so long since I've been able to enjoy Dolphins football.
if Long re-signs, we are competing with the Pats for the division. If Ireland can have a good draft, maybe take Tallon along with him, they will be the best team in the division. The offense already has seen the biggest transformation we have seen since Marino was here. The defense is young, fast, and very talented, and that is still without additions at CB and DE. If you were to add a Dumervill to this team, you can then add a Rhodes at CB in the draft, and we all of a sudden have a top 3-5 defense. If you add a Austin at WR to this team, you now have one of the more prolific offenses in the game. We still have money to spend, and there are several options out there that can help this team out.

Is Ireland a d!ck, yeah, but he has done an amazing job this offseason, and with five picks in the first three rounds, it could be our most positive offseason is team history. Ireland had a plan, and he has hit it square on the head. He has showed that he can build a team, and showed that players want to come play in Miami.

Also, the U getting the #2 seed is ridiculous IMO. They are the first ACC team to win the tourney and not get a #1 seed. Its OK though, because the bracket looks awfully nice for them. Most experts are picking them to make it to the Final Four, and some even have them winning the whole thing. Should be a fun tourney to watch.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Put Brady on his ass and you've got a good chance to beat the Pats. Rattles him completely. Still don't know why every defense is more concerned with covering the receivers than they are with knocking around Brady. Ravens and Giants are the best at it.

03-17-2013, 09:58 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Put Brady on his ass and you've got a good chance to beat the Pats. Rattles him completely. Still don't know why every defense is more concerned with covering the receivers than they are with knocking around Brady. Ravens and Giants are the best at it.
That is how you do it, but you also have to cover those two talented tight ends. Having three or four guys that can rush him successfully will be a problem, and the Fins already have five guys in the front seven that can do that.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Adios Long, 4 years at $36 mil. Injury prone and wasnt terribly missed when on IR.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Adios Long, 4 years at $36 mil. Injury prone and wasnt terribly missed when on IR.
Sucks that we lost out on Long, but $9 million is a lot. At least its finally over, and they can go after other free agents now, since they were handcuffed with the Long situation.