HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lingering Lace Bite - HELP

Old
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
7toZulu

vCash: 500
If you want to still try to play with the lace bite pain, I recommend getting some of the green foam stuff from a craft store... its like a big sheet of soft foam. Cut that foam into squares that will fit into your skate, and cut little rectangular sections out of the center of the square. This will allow the tendon to rest in between the channel. I did this after dealing with lace bite for a while, and it worked wonders for me.

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I passed the pencil test perfectly. Surprisingly I don't think my skates are too small even though I wear 10.5 CCMs with a size 13 foot.

I noticed my injured left foot slides forward a little bit in the boot and doesn't sit all the way back in the heel so I just put some super feet insoles in my skates to give me the high arch support I need. Walking around the house feels much better with the arch support, but I can't lace my top 3 eyelets tight at all without feeling pain (with either insole).

Unfortunately I like a tight fitting skate, but maybe I need to learn how to play with loose skates?
If you are feeling pain at all without the skate on, you are going to have issues with your skate. Be proactive with your injury management. Do ice massage multiple times a day (freeze water in a paper cup and peel the cup away and use the ice to massage the area). Take anti-inflammatories for a while (talk to your doc about how much). You need to get a handle on the injury and do treatment to help it heal. If you know an A.T.C who knows graston technique, have them try some treatment on you.

There are some things you can do to your skates to help with lace bite. Do you skate tongues in or out of your shinpads? Try tucking them under your shins if you currently wear them on the outside. Lace your skates from the outside in. This helps take some of the lace pressure off of the tongue.

As far as padding the area, I have seen a number of different methods. You can buy bunga pads, which will help only if you get the pain under control. As mentioned above, you can buy foam and lay it on either side of the inflammation site. An old timey method that is actually pretty effective is to fill a baggie with peanut butter and tape it over the injury. The consistency of the P.B. is perfect for keeping the area cushioned.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7toZulu View Post
If you want to still try to play with the lace bite pain, I recommend getting some of the green foam stuff from a craft store... its like a big sheet of soft foam. Cut that foam into squares that will fit into your skate, and cut little rectangular sections out of the center of the square. This will allow the tendon to rest in between the channel. I did this after dealing with lace bite for a while, and it worked wonders for me.
I do something similar to this with a blue gel pad, minus the channel. I'll give it a try with the foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
If you are feeling pain at all without the skate on, you are going to have issues with your skate. Be proactive with your injury management. Do ice massage multiple times a day (freeze water in a paper cup and peel the cup away and use the ice to massage the area). Take anti-inflammatories for a while (talk to your doc about how much). You need to get a handle on the injury and do treatment to help it heal. If you know an A.T.C who knows graston technique, have them try some treatment on you.

There are some things you can do to your skates to help with lace bite. Do you skate tongues in or out of your shinpads? Try tucking them under your shins if you currently wear them on the outside. Lace your skates from the outside in. This helps take some of the lace pressure off of the tongue.

As far as padding the area, I have seen a number of different methods. You can buy bunga pads, which will help only if you get the pain under control. As mentioned above, you can buy foam and lay it on either side of the inflammation site. An old timey method that is actually pretty effective is to fill a baggie with peanut butter and tape it over the injury. The consistency of the P.B. is perfect for keeping the area cushioned.
Sorry but ATC = Air Traffic Controller?

I do ice massage about 3 times a day, sometimes following a hot epson salt bath. My foot swells any time I run more than 20 feet, this is a mild but manageable pain that I can massage away (I've been told it's from the scar tissue created by the cortison injections).

The tendon only hurts when something is touching it, like my skate tongue. I'll try doing my laces outside-in, that sounds like it would help. I've never tucked my tongues into my shin pads. When I try that now it puts more pressure and pain on my tendon.

To get an idea of the tendon I'm talking about, just imagine I was wearing a watch on my ankle sitting near the 3rd eyelet on my skate with the face centered under the tongue. The whole tendon swells (and looks like a watch from the front) with the watch face protruding like a knuckle more and more as I play.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
neksys

At this point I think you have no choice but to consider a physiotherapist that specializes in sports injury and rehab. In most places you do not need a referral from a doctor - though a doc is a good place to start as he/she may want to refer you directly to an orthopod, physiatrist or podiatrst.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:23 PM
beth

Check out the thread on alternative lacing styles. I've been lacing my skates all crazy like that since I posted, and I haven't had a problem with lacebite since. I still have the lump there, but it's not as big as it used to be, and doesn't hurt. Just something to try, but yours sounds pretty bad, so definitely go get the MRI and see what's going on.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
7toZulu

The lock lacing method that is shown on that alternative lacing site really helped my lace bite out also, it alleviated the pressure right where the pain was. Combine that with some type of modified pad/foam and you're golden.

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
After 3 cortison injections and sitting for 10 months I tried playing last night. The swelling/knot/cyst on the top of my ankle came right back.

I feel like I'm right back to square 1 the day I sprained my tendon a year ago. This sucks.

that really sucks man, sorry to hear.

Have you tried any sort of lacebite pad? Try G-form pads. They're like ten bucks and they worked miracles for me a a couple friends/players I know. It's worth a shot.

Best of luck to you.

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Jive Time

I didn't have a bump on my tendon but it was extremely painful and lasted about 4 months. After a ton of research and recommendations, I settled on using a Bunga pad with two Silipos 4" disks for additional cushion (stuck them inside the bunga pad). I could still feel it for the first month but it was good enough for me to play.

Now I just use the Bunga pad to prevent it from coming back. Good luck with your recovery.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 420
Second time i've had lace bite in the past year...driving me insane.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:38 PM
MattGTI

I've noticed a little irritation just below my shin after last weeks game(only on my right foot). I am guesisng I have "lace bite" for the first time in my life ever.

Looking into my skates(Reebok White K's), and lace bite, I guess the tongue isn't overly padded in them, and the lace lock system doesn't help either. I do tend to overly tighten my skate laces as well. They have broken in fairly well(second season using them), and are very comfortable. I have never had a problem in 30+ years of skating(first season playing in a league though)

Is it generally recommended to pick up some form of gel padding? Anyone with Reeboks tend to not lace so tight, and let the pump take up the extra space?
The pain is not bad at all right now, and the swelling is next to nothing(last time I skated was last Wed). I just don't want it to get any worse. I can also jog 4 miles with no pain.

Just curious, because I can't miss a game in the next two weeks, we are down two players as it is, and I don't want this problem to get worse, or become recurring.

Thanks!

MattGTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:48 PM
vexXed

Had lacebite that was getting worse with every game until I changed the way I laced up. I lace snug in the forefoot, then from my instep upwards I lace really tight all the way to the top (wear Grafs). I then bend down a bit as if you are in the skating stance so my knees move forward which loosens the top laces - from here I tie the knot so there is a little bit of a gap with less pressure on the top of your foot/ankle area.

Been lacing like this ever since and had no more issues with lacebite.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Sykora|39
Anaheim Ducks

Lace bite after breaking in skates?

So I picked up some skates a couple weeks ago and they felt great.

Now after I've broken them in I've been getting what I assume is lace bite only on my right foot.

It's a stingy/sharp pain right on the top front of my ankle about 3 or 4 eyelets down from the top of the skate.

Any reason this is just starting to happen and only on one boot?

Anything I can do beside lace bite pads?

Sykora|39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:38 AM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykora|39 View Post
So I picked up some skates a couple weeks ago and they felt great.

Now after I've broken them in I've been getting what I assume is lace bite only on my right foot.

It's a stingy/sharp pain right on the top front of my ankle about 3 or 4 eyelets down from the top of the skate.

Any reason this is just starting to happen and only on one boot?

Anything I can do beside lace bite pads?
Wow, how timely. I'm going through the exact same thing right now. The only thing I can figure is that now the boot is broken in the laces are pulling the sides in closer and exposing that the boot is too shallow for my foot. I tried different laces, lacing patterns and lace bite pads. The only thing that made a minor difference was lacing different but in the end I needed comfort and bought the proper skate (went from Bauer Vapor to Supreme) As soon as I tried it on I knew the problem was solved. The spot on my ankle was still tender to touch, but no pain at all in the Supreme boot. I don't know why it's only happening in one foot, I suppose both feet aren't exactly the same.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:38 AM
MattGTI

Had the same issue about 6 weeks ago, under about the same circumstances. Fortunately for me, lace bite gel pads did the trick. Zero problems now, and the pain and small bump has gone away.

MattGTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:24 PM
BrianNYR

These saved my life.
http://www.bungapads.com/bunga-lace-...venter-lb.html

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 02:51 AM
chubtorb
Rookie User

lace bite solution

I have had to deal with lace bite and found a solution that is pretty money.

My lace bite appeared after I experimented with putting the shin guards under the tongue to try and get some more forward lean out of my relatively new and stiff as hell ccm u+12s. Turns out, doing that doesn't give you any more forward lean. And what it did do for me was create a pressure point where the tongue bent, and I developed a lot of shin pain in that spot which persisted after returning to the shin guard over the tongue configuration.

Now to the solution.

1. get some foam. you want it to be pretty dense and not too thick. I thought about using a camping sleeping pad. But I had some utility floor cushion mats lying around -- the kind that can be linked together like a jigsaw -- and that worked great.
2. cut out a square to fit in your skate between your shin and the tongue.
3. Take your square and cut out a long U, slightly off center, right where your tendon pops out when you lift your foot relative to your shin.
4. Stick it in your boot, and experiment with the positioning to get it so it is in a good spot and you no longer feel the pain.
5. Grab some stick tape, and tape the damn thing in there. Otherwise it will slide up after a shift or two in my experience.

I used this for a few weeks and the pain went away. For me, just sticking one of those lace bite pads was not doing it for me because there was still a lot of pressure on the tendon. This way, you're actually taking the pressure completely off the tendon, which will give it a chance to heal up.

chubtorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
fryer98

I cut rectangles from beer koozies ( For example: http://gruenetexas.com/store/koozie.jpg ) and put them under my skate tongue when lacing up. Solved it for me.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
LarryO

I did this with my old skates when I started getting lace bite. I bought some insulation stripping from the hardware store. I stuck strips of it on the inside of the tongue leaving a channel for the tendon. It comes in different widths and thicknesses, the thicker ones probably being a better choice. It also comes in different densities, the closed-cell type usually being the denser type and the better choice.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:27 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
I've had lace bite on my left ankle for 2 months now and it's not going away. Any advice?
Contact Maltese Hockey, they make Lace bite pads.
http://maltesesports.com/products.html

03-03-2014, 01:40 PM
moreoutdoor

another perspective on lacebite - I've had persistent lacebite with my Graf 605s (same boot design as the 705). And even though a lacebite pad does help, it doesn't fully mitigate the issue.
I think I've determined the root of my issue (and this is not a diatribe on Graf - I like the way they skate, and they've held up well...).
This particular boot seems 'lower' than others I've skated. The topmost lace eyes (when I measure from the footbed up to the middle of the eyehole) are 4 3/4 inches up.
I then measured the height where the 'bend' at the foot (talus)/lower leg(tibia) meets - bare foot - also 4 3/4.
I have a relatively high instep.
I checked the recent Bauer Vapors I bought as well as the CCM Vectors, and both have their top eyelets at 5 1/2 height from the footbed. Lacebite doesn't (didn't) happen in any of the vapors or CCMs I tried or are now using.
A low boot (like the 605/705) seems bring on the lacebite for me. And even if one doesn't have a high instep - very tight lacing at that talus/tibia bend may be exacerbating lacebite.
I'll be staying away from the lower boot designs.

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Turnt

Cheaper solution

So I, like many of you, tied my skates too tight with new HEAVY waxed laces, along with putting in some superfeat insoles, and ended up getting a nasty case of the bite on my left ankle. I read all the posts on here and with making some adjustments and using some home made ingenuity I think I solved the problem. First I tried re-lacing the skates outside to in, instead of the traditional way (if you want visuals there are about 12 different vids on youtube to help you out there) and this helped a small amount.

Next, I figured more padding would just make the problem worse (as I had read that in a few cases) unless it was a soft, but resilient gel. Here's where I saved a boatload, If you go to walmart or any bike shop they sell gel seat cushions for bicycles, the gel on the inside of these is about 1/2" thick, which is what I figured is about what i'd need. I cut out the gel pad and cut about a 2" by 3" rectangle out of it, and put it under my long socks, on the area of the tendon that was sore. It didn't shift as the gel is naturally a bit sticky and adheres well to skin, and the 1/2" thickness did the trick without feeling like it was in the way.

In fact it made the boot feel even better as it took some extra space that was lingering in the upper ankle out, and still allowed forward flex. I have yet to get an ice session in, however, the way these things feel by just trying them on has me in high hopes. So basically for about $20-$30 bucks you can make home made "bunga pads" that at the highest (arguably best) level run about $40 bucks a pop.

Hope this helps, Cheers.

Turnt is offline   Reply With Quote