HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#BringBackBob

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
you love your own thoughts don't you? look at these novels you write, weekend.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
you love your own thoughts don't you? look at these novels you write, weekend.
I'm a verbose person.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Nothing some Ritalin can't overcome....

Old
03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm a verbose person.
you are. thats funny. but your point on the whole bryzgalov's age matchin up with the trading for youth thing was done, i think, because they obviously looked at tim thomas and roloson that year factoring in that bryzgalov doesn't drink and takes care of himself (going along with the whole we don't want dudes that party on the team) they honestly gave him that term thinking he would be good for most of it. the last two years were to circumvent but that's how i read the whole thing. they weren't all retarded not knowing that the age thing wasn't gonna match up. it was done on purpose so they'd have an older experienced goalie and defense with a young slick quick creative offense. then pronger went down and the whole thing went to ****. i still think it can be repaired if we can make a couple moves.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
you are. thats funny. but your point on the whole bryzgalov's age matchin up with the trading for youth thing was done, i think, because they obviously looked at tim thomas and roloson that year factoring in that bryzgalov doesn't drink and takes care of himself (going along with the whole we don't want dudes that party on the team) they honestly gave him that term thinking he would be good for most of it. the last two years were to circumvent but that's how i read the whole thing. they weren't all retarded not knowing that the age thing wasn't gonna match up. it was done on purpose so they'd have an older experienced goalie and defense with a young slick quick creative offense. then pronger went down and the whole thing went to ****. i still think it can be repaired if we can make a couple moves.
Giving contracts to players on the assumption that they'll turn into one of the very rare exceptions to aging is a pretty horrible idea. It was a bad idea with Pronger, and we see what happened. It's a bad idea with Bryz.

03-13-2013, 12:28 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Giving contracts to players on the assumption that they'll turn into one of the very rare exceptions to aging is a pretty horrible idea. It was a bad idea with Pronger, and we see what happened. It's a bad idea with Bryz.
In all fairness though beef, while the RESULTS indicate that it was a bad idea with Pronger, it's not for the reason you would've expected. Pronger's career is likely over because of a stick to the eye, not because his age finally caught up with him and he started breaking down.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
yea. he's on a hot streak but i've been watching his highlights and i don't know if anyone brought this up but he is not the same goaie he was when he played here. remember the whole when in doubt go into the butterfly and get scored up high every time through traffic? doesn't look like he does that as much now. he stays on his feet and plays way bigger in the net. my point is obviously whoever columbus's goalie coach is adjusted his game cause that is not how he played here. regardless of what happens with bryzgalov, we need a new goalie coach. reese sucks. why don't we just get allan bester?
Or maybe now that hes getting the time he deserves hes adjusted on his own.

Either way you cut it letting Bob go was and continues to be a huge mistake for this organization.

Besides, Bryz is a veteran who is suppose to be in the prime of his career. I'm not saying there's not always room for improvement but at this stage of ones career you are suppose to know the ropes; not having to be mentored on every little thing.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm a verbose person.
Seriously. I thought I typed too much lol.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bob with another insane game against Chicago... 1-1 shootout...39 saves on 40 shots.....

Old
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

And some insane saves at opportune times.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Devastate

This hot streak is unreal. He's playing out of his damn mind.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Bob with another insane game against Chicago... 1-1 shootout...39 saves on 40 shots.....
if only columbus could finish and score goals. look out.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
This hot streak is unreal. He's playing out of his damn mind.
If he was on the Flyers I would be so pumped.....being that we still have goaltending issues it is very disconcerting that Bob is excelling with another team. If this continues for years as opposed to just a stretch of weeks and months here and there well I think I will have a permanent ulcer...

Old
03-15-2013, 08:02 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Old
03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Devastate

I just looked at his stats for the year. He's in top 10 for every category. If he continues this hot streak, he may be looking at a Vezina nomination.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I just looked at his stats for the year. He's in top 10 for every category. If he continues this hot streak, he may be looking at a Vezina nomination.
If he gets a nomination I'm going to pile up everything I own, burn the pile, then live out the rest of my days in a cave with a herd of bats. I can deal with Richards, Carter, and Gagne winning a Cup in LA. Whatever, lots of former Flyers win Cups elsewhere.

To have let a potential goaltending solution go after an interminable wait? Nah, that's my breaking point, and a Vezina nomination right after trading the dude would be the final blow.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

guys, donŽt you know? Bryzgalov is suffering under our bad team. Bob is rised by a worldclass team with worldclass dman!

Stop blaming Homer, Lavi and Bryz! Start blaming Giroux, Schenn or Leights because they donŽt play good defense!

I have said it a lot of times! Bobrovsky was a really good goalie. Sure he has growing pains, but he showed a lot of potential! Now he shows it. IŽam sure he will develop in a solid goalie with solid stats over a long period of time! Exactly the goalie we could use now!

Homer is famous for selling players who will develop in very good NHLer. Seidenberg, Downie, Sharp, Pitkanen maybe Bob is the next one?

For me the time is there to change a lot in this franchise... But iŽam not sure, that the important people in this franchise have understand that!

Old
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Devastate

Quote:
If he gets a nomination I'm going to pile up everything I own, burn the pile, then live out the rest of my days in a cave with a herd of bats. I can deal with Richards, Carter, and Gagne winning a Cup in LA. Whatever, lots of former Flyers win Cups elsewhere.

To have let a potential goaltending solution go after an interminable wait? Nah, that's my breaking point, and a Vezina nomination right after trading the dude would be the final blow.
Here's his numbers

8-6-5 (on columbus, mind you)
.927 SV Percentage
2.11 GAA

Minus wins, his numbers are better than Rinne.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Honestly, if Bob turns out to be a legit top ten or even top 5 starter Holmgren should be fired by default...then again it's really Snider's fault for meddling so much and demanding Bryz although at the time I understood why. It's just insulting how it's backfiring so badly...

BTW anybody check out the TSN poll today?

Asks

The Philadelphia Flyers could really use ____ right now

Sergei Bobrovsky

Jaromir Jagr

James Van Riemsdyk

Somehow JVR is blowing away the poll with 43.8%...Bob gets 26.3 and Jags 29.8%

I voted Bob obviously...

Old
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
MP92

Quote:
Honestly, if Bob turns out to be a legit top ten or even top 5 starter Holmgren should be fired by default...then again it's really Snider's fault for meddling so much and demanding Bryz although at the time I understood why. It's just insulting how it's backfiring so badly...

Asks

Sergei Bobrovsky

Jaromir Jagr

James Van Riemsdyk

I voted Bob obviously...
And that's the Flyers biggest problem. Ed Snider is a great owner in the sense that he spends as much money as he possibly can to ice a contending team, but his knee jerk reactions have set this team back. I don't think this franchise will win the Cup until he's 6ft under to tell you the truth.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Here's his numbers

8-6-5 (on columbus, mind you)
.927 SV Percentage
2.11 GAA

Minus wins, his numbers are better than Rinne.
FML....honestly though this is because of a hot streak. We'll have to see if he can keep up his stellar play next year. Honestly though, I wanted Vokoun instead of Bryz because I thought Bob could be a legit start in a couple years, but I was ok with Bryz because I thought we were getting a top 10 goalie.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Yeah, that was my thought. I figured we'd be set in net for 5ish years and then need to figure out what to do when he declined. That hasn't gone as expected.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:

Asks

Sergei Bobrovsky

Jaromir Jagr

James Van Riemsdyk

I voted Bob obviously...
Bob would also be my last choice in this poll. I don't know whether I'd go with Jagr or JVR, though, probably Jagr.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Yeah, that was my thought. I figured we'd be set in net for 5ish years and then need to figure out what to do when he declined. That hasn't gone as expected.
Yeah I think that was how most people felt. Bob had an ugly playoffs the previous year. Bryz was a proven goalie. The next year Bob looked downright terrible. The deal had to be done.

Hindsight is 20/20. When Bryz signed the contract, there were differing opinions about how good he was. Some thought he Vezina caliber, others thought top half or average. Very few (if any) predicted what we have seen thus far. I think your post pretty much sums it up. We all figured Bryz would suffice for a good part of his contract, and when he declined we would be scrambling. It has not gone as planned, unfortunately.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Just be wary when goaltenders have great years. Every year an NHL goalie comes out of nowhere to post career best number that are among the tops in the league, and they turn into a pumpkin. That's not to say it will happen to Bob, but it has happened to Manny Legace, Arturs Irbe, Brian Elliott, and...oh yeah, Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher.

Closed Thread