HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
That 2008 draft was the biggest issue. They basically went 0 for the draft that year. Mendy was decent but the rest of the picks were garbage. That can't happen.

I understand you can't realistically go 7-7 every year in the draft. I think realistically you'll usually get two or three NFL players. You need at least one of them to be very impactful though. They got that in the early 2000's with Hampton, Burress, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes etc. Hood, Heyward and to a lesser extent Mendy didn't provide the same impact.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Dylonus

Heyward hasn't gotten a chance, however. That's exceptional.

The rest is inexcusable. Cutting someone like Urbik after one season but playing Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:23 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Nice write up about the previous drafts.. man that's rough.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Flat Stanley

I think the Steelers drafting is fine, no team is going to pick 7-10 solid players in one draft year.

I think people are overreacting about losing Lewis and keeping Gay. I don't know, I thought Gay was solid for the Steelers before he left for Arizone and let's not act like Lewis is some gem, the dude had to be coached, he didn't come in here from day 1 and turn into Revis.

He's a good CB, but he JUST started being good, you can't blame the Steelers for not giving him a contract based off of one season.

Oh yeah, there's also the deep 2013 NFL draft where we can draft another CB...

Old
03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I don't know, I thought Gay was solid for the Steelers before he left for Arizone .
let me guess, you also thought Mahan was a solid center?

sorry bro but Gay is horrible. Hopefully Curtis Brown steps up and takes the #3 spot and we don't have to see Gay much.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
SteelFish87*

I just hate Gay so much. His best attribute is staying healthy because he doesn't tackle and shies away from all contact.

Arizona signed him to a 2-year deal and cut him after 1 year

he sucks

Old
03-15-2013, 09:40 AM
sniugneP

Gay is a decent nickel back. If he's a starter, we're screwed.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:57 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
How's this for a scary thing? Players on team still are in bold

- 2010 NFL Draft -

2nd - Jason Worilds - Underachieved thus far with 0 sacks against an NFL Lineman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is extremely alarming. In 2007, only the top two picks remain. No one from 2008 remain. Including a bust at WR in round 2, and a OLB in round 3 that never got a chance. 2009 has our 1st (nothing special) and an H-Back in round 7 left.

2010 isn't even promising. Glad we hit a home run with Pouncey but what was with the Worilds pick? He was a pure LE in a 4-3 in NCAA and had no experience at coming off the edge in a 3-4.

This team has one late round pick (5th and on) that's done anything since 2008. Clearly, our scouts aren't getting it done. Hell, they're missing big time on 2nd rounders to boot (sans Woodley). What the hell is going on?

Take this with a huge grain of salt. I caught part of an ESPNChat yesterday afternoon with KC Joyner. When asked about Worilds, he said he has "double digit sack potential". Now, that's one guy's opinion.

What bothers me is Worilds has had good games on the left side, but will be on the right side this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
let me guess, you also thought Mahan was a solid center?

sorry bro but Gay is horrible. Hopefully Curtis Brown steps up and takes the #3 spot and we don't have to see Gay much.
Brown was exposed in the games he had to play last year as much as Gay ever has been. Gay at least has made a few plays on the ball and created a couple of turnovers. Brown was nowhere near in position to do either.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Brown was exposed in the games he had to play last year as much as Gay ever has been. Gay at least has made a few plays on the ball and created a couple of turnovers. Brown was nowhere near in position to do either.
Brown has potential and hasn't seen much action. I said I hope he will step up. I've seen what Gay can do and he sucks

Worilds also has potential. Remember he came out really young and is only 25 yrs old. Any chance they sign Harrison to a 1-year deal. I think he may have 1 more good year left in him. Last season he came off of back surgery and was not able to regain his strength

Old
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Brown has potential and hasn't seen much action. I said I hope he will step up. I've seen what Gay can do and he sucks

Worilds also has potential. Remember he came out really young and is only 25 yrs old. Any chance they sign Harrison to a 1-year deal. I think he may have 1 more good year left in him. Last season he came off of back surgery and was not able to regain his strength
Brown got benched for Josh Victorian.

Cortez Allen blew past Brown. Coming out of their draft year, Brown came from a big time program, Allen was a project.

I want Brown to become a player, but I just don't see it. He looked totally lost.

I think the Harrison ship has sailed. He was too proud to take a pay cut to begin with, don't see him accepting a 1 year vet minimum deal to return now.

Shaun Phillips is available. Yes, he's 31. But on a 1 or 2 year deal, it's another guy who, while not a star, has been a solid NFL producer for a number of years. 50+ career sacks in about 7 seasons.

They've already made the moves to clear the space that wasn't used to retain any of our own big name guys. Phillips on the outside, or someone like Antoine Winfield on a 1 year, $3-4m deal fills a hole for a year and doesn't cause any future cap issues.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Flat Stanley

Gay doesn't "suck", Ryan Mundy SUCKED, Josh Victorian SUCKED, Gay is better than both and has contributed to this team's success.

To say he sucks is saying he's worthless and he really isn't, he can make plays. Believe me, I thought he sucked too, I was happy when he left, now I'm glad he's a Steeler again.

Again, we have to see what the Steelers plans are, whose to say they won't sign a CB, or draft one.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Brown got benched for Josh Victorian.
SO whats your point???

Keenan Lewis sat the bench for 3 years, had a good year last year and was a top FA corner

Brown is entering his 3rd year now

Old
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Dylonus

Gay is a good nickle corner for our pass coverage packages and excellent in our corner blitz packages.

Other than that... he's nothing.

Like I said about Worilds, he literally has no sacks against an NFL lineman. He's yet to beat a lineman and get to the QB. They've all come off TE except one was a RB / FB.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Retrocity

Emmanuel Sanders visiting the Patriots today per Adam Schefter.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocity View Post
crap that would screw us

what tender did they put on him?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
We could be screwed if he left.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
When you have a group of players that call themselves "Young Money" don't be surprised when 2/3 bolt for more money.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
crap that would screw us

3rd rounder

Old
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
crap that would screw us

It was $1.323 million original round tender. If Steelers don't match their offer, they will receive 3rd round pick from Pats.

Sanders would be a starter for Steelers since Wallace left. I'm not sure he will be a starter for Pats if he's gone. Pats already have Amendola and Lloyd.

I would be staying in Pittsburgh if I were Sanders. It's his contract year. If he'll have a big year, he will get a big contract next season.

Last edited by sniugneP: 03-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 11:28 AM
UnrealMachine

If he wants to go, let him go. We'll use the 3rd round pick they give us to acquire a better receiver. He's a good receiver, but he's replaceable in a draft this deep with quality receivers.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:32 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
If he wants to go, let him go. We'll use the 3rd round pick they give us to acquire a better receiver. He's a good receiver, but he's replaceable in a draft this deep with quality receivers.
The problem is we're too inexperienced in receivers.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
The problem is we're too inexperienced in receivers.
Brown/Cotchery/Plax have a lot of experience between them. If we draft a burner it doesn't take too much experience to run a fly pattern. I'm not saying these (potential) WR losses are enviable, but I'm all for drafting players with better attitudes.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Doug Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
It was $1.323 million original round tender. If Steelers don't match their offer, they will receive 3rd round pick from Pats.

Sanders would be a starter for Steelers since Wallace left. I'm not sure he will be a starter for Pats if he's gone. Pats already have Amendola and Lloyd.

I would be staying in Pittsburgh if I were Sanders. It's his contract year. If he'll have a big year, he will get a big contract next season.
The Pats weren't happy with Lloyd and are not likely to retain him, so Sanders will potentially be his replacement.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:24 PM
WarriorScholar

I'm actually hoping the pats sign him. Would much rather have that 3rd round pick. On one good condition, we get back to drafting steelers type players. Sanders was just as soft as mendenhall and Wallace. He had some horrible games last year, fumbling the ball without being touched. Then faking an injury because he was embarrassed he dropped a ball. I just don't think he's that good. Certainly not reliable. Question is, are there even anymore kids out there entering the draft that are "steelers type" guys or have times just changed completely? Gotta get back to hard nose...tough players. None of mendy, Wallace, sanders are of that mold....all 3 on the field in the packers loss nonetheless .

I'm a little unfair in this post, I get it....but point remains the same. We've been drafting the wrong guys in recent years. Clean house and get back to the right way.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Dylonus

I don't understand why he didn't just get a 2nd round tender at least. They had to know Wallace was as good as gone.

Closed Thread