HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

MLS vs. NHL Going Forward?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Ugmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
As long as they sell for more than the owners bought them for, which is why most of the biggest clubs are trying so hard to spread their brands to America and Asia. The bigger the brand is than it was when they bought the team, the more money they're going to make off of the club.
I could be wrong, but without analyzing this in too much detail I would guess that billionaire/oligarch ownership of soccer clubs is still the exception rather than the norm. In Germany for example it's only a couple of clubs... Hoffenheim (the SAP guy), Leverkusen (Bayer AG) and Wolsburg (VW). Every other team in the first division is an actual club with a management board that the members elect). German clubs are mostly quite profitably run, but the "object of the business" is for the club to compete successfully and not lose money, rather than for the club to make a lot of money for an investor or an owner. Which means that other than Leverkusen and Wolfsburg, where it could be argued that the motive is to advertise for the parent company, all the clubs are focused solely on being competitive on the field. I presume the former Soviet teams are all owned by oligarchs, and I know a number of the big Italian clubs are owned by industrialist families (or Silvio Berlusconi!), and it's sexy right now for oil sheiks to own Premier League clubs... but I would guess that 90 percent (number extracted from my posterior) of all professional clubs in Europe do not have an "owner" as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's how I "found" Manchester United. Back in 1991 we still had only one English league game on tv every Saturday with varying teams. However, Eurosport was around and they covered the European cup competitions extensively. United's games in the Cup Winners Cup competition were shown a lot and when they beat Barcelona (whom I had a semi hate-on), I started following their games on tv and via results on tele-text and papers. Cantona moving to United really set them as "my" team.
I don't know about Finland, but I get the impression that in Scandinavia in general the local leagues are an afterthought and most people support English Premier League clubs. In Austria almost everyone primarily supports a local team, and then maybe follows a big foreign club in addition. But I think it's admirable how loyal Austrians are to their own mediocre-to-crappy domestic clubs. Which is very much reflected in the great atmosphere at Austrian league games and the good traveling support they get for European competitions.

Is there a Finnish club you support as well?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
But they do have a connection. It's the team they've decided is most worthy of their time and money because it offers the best product, in their opinion. That's why any product is sold more than something else, and that's why Wal-Mart is doing a hell of a lot better than your local butchershop.
In Portland, we call you a customer.

Theoretically, I understand. Widely different analogy here, but after growing up with the Blazers, I certainly didn't become a Warriors fan when I lived in the Bay Area. This Duck lived in Idaho for 15 years and, while I may have gone to a few Boise State games, it's observation. It's not the same.

I value what I can see live (including the Winterhawks; I did live near Vancouver for a couple years and my time in the Bay Area was just as the Sharks began). I can connect to, say, Sunderland, but it's not the same. It's a lot harder for me to simply be a fan via television, frankly, and I think that's true of a lot of people.

I think there's people in Portland who probably felt the same, but because of the way Timbers Army (certainly moreso than the front office) went about attracting potential fans to games, we've probably converted a few people like you. I will say that we do have a fairly large component of people who, say, actually grew up in Liverpool or Dortmund or Toluca or La Paz, and they're more likely to get into the Timbers than someone who's really out to be a "mallrat fan" for their own reasons. To you...

...something else. I've known several people who go to Europe for the first time, who get into a pub before a game to talk to "fellow fans" who end up schooling the Yank on 80-100 years of history and often overwhelming said Yank. Then our Yank accidentally happen on some club like Leyton Orient or some third division club hanging in another major city where the fans are accepting and they suddenly feel they fit. It's funny how that works, no?

I'm actually, usually, not one to call names to people who I do believe to be "Eurosnobs" (the key component of which is that they probably weren't born in Europe and perhaps never even visited). People will take their own path. I'm usually not going to worry about that. However, I strongly suspect I'm going to have more fun by actually being at the game I'm watching.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

In the United States, sports fans are used to supporting MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL all of which are the best of their respective leagues in the world.

In the Czech Republic, Sweden during my visits, the people there supported their local clubs. There were some that had an NHL team, but it was mostly a secondary following, much as my following of Arsenal.

I think Americans and some Canadians have a rather unique ego when it comes to watching sports. They must only have the best. Which is why we have the embarrassing situation of their being more supporters of each major European club in NY than the Red Bulls.

Fact of the matter is that MLS is a very entertaining league. It has some good players, great supporters and uniforms, stadiums, good media figures and commentators, everything you could hope for. beyond all else, it is competitive. Each team has a fighting chance to win. Its not a top league in world standing, but most of the world's top teams are built around a fan crazed environment where money and debt isn't an issue because half of the country lives and breather that one team. Barca could sell Messi five times and still be in debt.

In America, we have playoffs. We give lesser market teams a chance to try to win something greater than "stay in the top division." In the Portugese league, people root for one of three teams. In Scotland, it is largely one of two. America is too big geographically to support such a model, and even if they did, there is very little that is "sports" about two teams winning the league title for 90 straight years like the SPL. Or five winners in 20 years like the BPL.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Please don't play mod.

Soccer talk in the BoH forum should relate in some way to the topic of this thread. Please move general soccer talk to the soccer forum.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

This thread needs more NHL discussion in it to remain open. The soccer board is the appropriate location for those who wish to discuss the relative merits of different soccer leagues, the weather at soccer games, the location of soccer stadiums, the world's geography as it relates to soccer, etc.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
nyrmetros

The validity of this thread is intact. NBC is a major partner with pro hockey (NHL) and pro soccer (MLS, EPL).... NBC Sports will definitely continue to cross promote and encourage each fanbase to broaden their sports viewership.....

Closed Thread