HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is Bob Sanguinetti doing?

Old
03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
NickyFotiu

vCash: 500
How is Bob Sanguinetti doing?

As a Ranger fan I did not want to trade him. I knew he won both the hardest shot and fastest skater competitions in the AHL. we never really gave him much of a chance. Does it look like he might have a NHL future?

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Started unwatchably horrible, has matured into a legit bottom-pair guy.

NHL future, yes, but with managed expectations.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Yeah, brutal start, a month ago I would have told you he'd be waived soon, he was terrible.

Quite serviceable lately though, definitely future (and present) as a bottom pair guy.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Playing a lot better than he was at the start of the season.

I think his 1st career goal gave him a lot of confidence.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

He sucks, we should probably kill him later, after Joni gets better of course.

(Using sarcasm when I can't think of a joke)

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
I think his 1st career goal gave him a lot of confidence.
Yeah, it's kind of weird how abruptly his game improved after that goal.

It's like he no longer feels the need to wander up ice. Meh, done that, time to play some D now.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
NickyFotiu

Good to hear some feedback. I always thought he had the skating/shooting tools. It is his confidence and judgement that he has to improve.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Roboturner913

Not doing so great at the moment. That was dirty.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Foges4BruCru

Wasn't sure at first about this tall, lanky lookin guy, but after going to a couple games recently, he really coming on as a fearless and confident contributor. His attitude and composure under duress has landed me cheering "BOBBBYYY my BOY!" quite often recently. Has the potential to be a chronic second pair D man if he doesn't get over confident. Thumbs up for the time being.

Foges4BruCru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The thing about Sanguinetti, and I think this applies to a LOT of prospects that lack confidence or are considered "busts", is that they need an NHL investment placed in them regardless of what they do at the AHL level within reason. When they have natural skill and a workable skill set, they need to mature into an NHL role. They're going to look brutal at the outset sometimes. Not everybody is Jeff Skinner and Justin Faulk. And I think that out of necessity, he was given that chance to succeed here. The Hurricanes are being rewarded with a player who is slowly rounding into the player he was in the AHL, which isn't a game breaker for sure but a competent puck moving guy who can slide in and out of the lineup and retains some value.

It's so strange to consider that, myself included, we were bemoaning the trades that brought both Nash and Sanguinetti "failed prospects" to our team less than 3 months ago and now both are playing fairly integral parts of what we're doing right now. I got seriously concerned when Sangs got boarded last night and got up slowly. I was thinking to myself, "who in the hell do we have in the chamber who can replace what he's doing right now?" and I am unsure if that's an indication of a SEVERE lack of depth or the role that Sangs has grown into.

For a more detailed opinion, I think his skating is superb. He has great offensive timing but is prone to the yips with the puck on his tape. I like his passing ability and his ability to find open ice, but only when he's playing with his skill and not his brain. Similar to Joe Corvo in that way. The less he's thinking and the more he's reacting, the better he plays. Defensively it's a work in progress. He's prone to losing his man in front of the net, but he's otherwise pretty competent with his stick in preventing chances. Not as effective playing the body as I thought that he was in the AHL, but it may come in time. He had something of a reputation as a decent hitter. He's not as soft as I thought he was going to be, but not as assertive with his physical play as he needs to be.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
They're going to look brutal at the outset sometimes. Not everybody is Jeff Skinner and Justin Faulk.
Faulk was pretty terrible his first stint up here too. Then he got sent down to Charlotte for a month or so and came back a changed player,

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Faulk was pretty terrible his first stint up here too. Then he got sent down to Charlotte for a month or so and came back a changed player,
Very true, but I was trying to say ineffectively that these guys that are first round picks and get mired in the AHL and have their confidence blown up just need a chance sometimes to step their game up and have somebody believe in them in order to ratchet up their game a few notches. I don't think confidence was ever a problem for those two players. They're just a different breed of cat. I was more speaking in reference to our forwards who have been yo yo'd up and down. Hell, even Boychuk I feel a bit sorry for.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I still say that was in large part due to being paired with Kaberle, who may very well have been the single worst high dollar contract player I've ever seen in the NHL over that span. Maurice expecting Faulk to cover for Kaberle's blunders as a rookie was flat out idiocy IMO.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I still say that was in large part due to being paired with Kaberle, who may very well have been the single worst high dollar contract player I've ever seen in the NHL over that span. Maurice expecting Faulk to cover for Kaberle's blunders as a rookie was flat out idiocy IMO.
IIRC, it was almost entirely because of Kaberle, because McBain was put next to Kabs after Faulk was sent down, and those same defensive miscues continued to happen.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Roboturner913

I really like Sanguinetti, he had a few debacles early on, especially that OT loss to the Flyers where his mistakes almost directly led to two goals. But he's been solid since then and a lot of the time lately I'd rather see him out there than Harrison or Corvo. I think he's earned a bigger role, maybe some PP time. Maybe even the chance to move up to a second pair.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Fin9*

imo joni pittkänen is mucho better player.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote