HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Discussion: Should Tampa Bay Re-Address Their Goaltending?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTampaFan View Post
I've said it before and will say it again: I would love to see either one of the two Vancouver goalies in Tampa as they are both very good.

I'd also like to see Patrick Kane on a line with Stammer too, but thats not going to happen.

That being said: I DO NOT want to see SFY trade away organizational depth, young stars that are maturing, or a piece like Hedman. Especially not for the sake of two months left in this shortened season and with what is widely believed to be a very deep draft.

I am probably going to be flamed for this but the one piece that I can see being moved by SFY would be Brett Connelly. The emergence of Conacher along with Nametsnikov and Kucherov in the wings; and tonnes of offensive talent in the top 10 of this coming draft makes him possibly the most movable piece for the lightning right now. I see it much more likely for SFY to target a Dman of the same relative age and pedigree of Connelly in more of a "Hockey Trade" as opposed to an aging veteran. Jake Gardiner maybe?
Yep, you're pretty close with that assessment. I don't think the org is huge on Connolly, but also isn't going to flip him for nothing. I do think they'll listen to offers on him, though. I just don't quite know who i'd target as a defender coming back yet.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Our goaltending has been better than last year and Lindback is steadily improving. In the beginning of the year it wasn't good and the offense was, now the goaltending isand the offense isn't. We haven't played a good team game for 60 minutes for awhile.
Marty is a great player but we are going to be plenty fine when he retires. He doesn't carry this team anymore like people think. I'm not opposed to trading him.
We need D more than goaltending anyway. So all these goalie proposals make no sense.
He may not carry the team but he comes pretty close to it. 36 points so far with 29 of them being assists. A lot of the highlights I watch of Stamkos goals show a beautiful set up by MSL. I think you are underestimating just how much he means to the team and Stamkos, in particular.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The "something" that isn't clicking is goaltending. There is no team in the league that can win consistently with a goalie that puts up a save% less than 0.900. Put any goalie that can put up a 0.915 there consistently and you guys would be winning the division and things would be looking great - like they were at the start of the season.

For those saying Tampa has a bright future, I disagree. MSL is the engine that drives things and he's not getting any younger. Stamkos is a great player but can't get it done on his own.
Our backup has a .912 % and has a record of 2-7-0, sorry but our problem isn't goaltending. And please watch Tampa games, Lindbšck plays pretty good.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

For the bright future thing:

We have one of the top goalie prospects in the game, we have an AHL team that is in the hunt for a second Calder Cup in a row, we have top talent at every position, not to mention the abundance of top6, NHL-ready forwards. The only thing our prospect pool is missing is a legit top pairing D prospect. But Korobov, Barberio and Gudas have all top4 potential for sure.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
MSL and Lecavlier are both in their mid-late thirties. If the mentality Tampa ends up taking is "wait for Vasilevski", there should be a pretty competitive bidding war for those two players.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The "something" that isn't clicking is goaltending. There is no team in the league that can win consistently with a goalie that puts up a save% less than 0.900. Put any goalie that can put up a 0.915 there consistently and you guys would be winning the division and things would be looking great - like they were at the start of the season.

For those saying Tampa has a bright future, I disagree. MSL is the engine that drives things and he's not getting any younger. Stamkos is a great player but can't get it done on his own.
First off, if you knew what you were talking about you would see that the team plays exactly the same in front of Garon, Desjardins, and Lindback. Garon kept them in plenty of games and build plenty of confidence to win a game - the truth is, the team can't get out of the ****ing defensive zone to save its life. The offense managed to muster TWELVE SHOTS AGAINST FLORIDA. I'm sorry Florida fans, but against that lineup with Goc as your top center, and half of your AHL team up, its downright ****ing absurd that they couldn't even manage 15 shots against that team.

The only players who have been able to move the puck have been Stamkos and the kids just called up from Syracuse. Its not goaltending. Its stupidity and poor defensive play.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
First off, if you knew what you were talking about you would see that the team plays exactly the same in front of Garon, Desjardins, and Lindback. Garon kept them in plenty of games and build plenty of confidence to win a game - the truth is, the team can't get out of the ****ing defensive zone to save its life. The offense managed to muster TWELVE SHOTS AGAINST FLORIDA. I'm sorry Florida fans, but against that lineup with Goc as your top center, and half of your AHL team up, its downright ****ing absurd that they couldn't even manage 15 shots against that team.

The only players who have been able to move the puck have been Stamkos and the kids just called up from Syracuse. Its not goaltending. Its stupidity and poor defensive play.
Sure but for the most part that's an aberration. You've got 88 goals for which is tied for third in the whole NHL and even ahead of the high flying Hawks. Defence and goaltending have let you down, IMO. There is no way that a team with that much offence should be tied for second last in the NHL. Lindback may prove to be a good starter down the road but goaltending has been subpar this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Yzlamic Preacher*
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:

This man here speaks the truth.

It is embarrassing watching them chase the puck around like a bunch of kids. D is the main problem. Goalie stats would go up if the D would help out every now and then.

Yzlamic Preacher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sure but for the most part that's an aberration. You've got 88 goals for which is tied for third in the whole NHL and even ahead of the high flying Hawks. Defence and goaltending have let you down, IMO. There is no way that a team with that much offence should be tied for second last in the NHL. Lindback may prove to be a good starter down the road but goaltending has been subpar this year.
If more than two of our defenders were competent then the goaltending would be fine. But when you leave your goalie out to dry multiple times every single night it won't come as a surprise when he gets beat every now and then. It's hard to have a goalie that looks good when your team doesn't do him any favors.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
He may not carry the team but he comes pretty close to it. 36 points so far with 29 of them being assists. A lot of the highlights I watch of Stamkos goals show a beautiful set up by MSL. I think you are underestimating just how much he means to the team and Stamkos, in particular.
Im not saying he doesn't put up points still, he just doesn't lift the team like he used to.
Stamkos gets plenty of assists from Purcell and was playing good with Conacher until Boucher decided to put him on the 3rd line.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:53 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Im not saying he doesn't put up points still, he just doesn't lift the team like he used to.
Stamkos gets plenty of assists from Purcell and was playing good with Conacher until Boucher decided to put him on the 3rd line.
Fair enough I just think that players like MSL are hard to replace.
It will be like Vancouver when they lose Henrik Sedin. Those type of elite playmakers often are under appreciated when it's the other guys on the team who do the goal scoring.You have some good young guys coming up. I just don't think that players like MSL can be replaced. One of my favourite players in the NHL.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Defense has let us down. Defense has let goaltending down. Offense has now dried up because the defense is letting the offense down as it can't get out of the zone. I see what you're saying, but it all comes down to defense with this team. If you can stomach it, watch the next game - Florida had multiple times where they pinned us in our zone, for 1:30-2:30 minutes.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Yzlamic Preacher*
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Fair enough I just think that players like MSL are hard to replace.
It will be like Vancouver when they lose Henrik Sedin. Those type of elite playmakers often are under appreciated when it's the other guys on the team who do the goal scoring.You have some good young guys coming up. I just don't think that players like MSL can be replaced. One of my favourite players in the NHL.
He is irreplaceable indeed. But he doesn't carry the team on his shoulders any more like before. He is one the best players in the league and at 37 years old, plays with the zeal of a 20 year old. No one shall ever or shall currently take away his performance and skill away. And we Tampa fans appreciate him and everything he has done.

Yzlamic Preacher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Defense has let us down. Defense has let goaltending down. Offense has now dried up because the defense is letting the offense down as it can't get out of the zone. I see what you're saying, but it all comes down to defense with this team. If you can stomach it, watch the next game - Florida had multiple times where they pinned us in our zone, for 1:30-2:30 minutes.
Interesting. Defence is going to be a tough hole to fill. Free agents are in high demand especially defensive ones. It sounds like you may need to trade some forwards for defence and hopefully have a young player step up.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Fixed the title

"Other: Discussion: Should Tampa Bay Re-Re-Re-Address Their Goaltending?"

It's the Philly template for success.

Aethon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Alpha
英霊

vCash: 962
if you get offered purcell for schneider you do it

Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

If TB needs goaltending, Kiprusoff makes too much sense for them. That's a perfect fit for their needs at the moment.

Oh yes, and unlike Luongo, Kipper is signed for one more year after this and only gets paid $1.5M.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Interesting. Defence is going to be a tough hole to fill. Free agents are in high demand especially defensive ones. It sounds like you may need to trade some forwards for defence and hopefully have a young player step up.
Exactly. Its a tough spot to be in, potentially weak FA market to fix things. Lots of aging defenders. Not pretty. I don't want to get stuck playing the "hey you're 35 but lets give you one that hoorah" card.

If O'Byrne makes it to FA, i'd love to get a shot at him, otherwise yeah, I think we might try to move a forward for some blueline help.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Just send Brett Connolly and a 1st to LA and Bernier is yours.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
StringerBell

Yzerman's made it clear that he's not interested in acquiring Luongo, and it should go without saying that he's not going to be moving Hedman. I can't even begin to comprehend why either of those ideas would be discussed.

He is however looking to deal from a position of strength (forwards) to upgrade a position of need (goalie? defense?), as reported by Lebrun earlier this week. There was very strong speculation last year that Yzerman coveted Cory Schneider, could it be possible that he still does? I don't imagine he's already given up on Lindback, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's looking for a guy like Schneider to form a more reliable tandem for the future. If this was the case it would certainly jive well with his comments to ESPN earlier in the week:

Quote:
"To sit here and say, 'Iím going to do something big,' thereís nothing big that can be done at this time," Yzerman said. "Itís not like we just sit here and do nothing all day. You talk to people, you see if thereís anything that makes sense. For a lot of reasons itís difficult to find a fit, to find the right players, the right salaries to make a trade. You donít just do something to do it."
Quote:
"Rental players cost you draft picks or young players, weíre not interested in that," Yzerman said. "Thatís why we signed free agents in the summer, to fill those places. If thereís a trade that makes sense where a team has a need and we have a need, then it would be addressed that way."

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:24 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Awful just awful.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I would add to Schneider to get that package.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Ho Borvat

Im probably way off base, but what about something like

Calgary
Brett Connolly
Anders Lindback
2014 1st Rounder

Tampa Bay
Jay Bouwmeester
Mikka Kipprusoff
(Calgary eating a certain amount of salary).

Starts the rebuild for Calgary, Tampa gets a top-flight goalie (who is no stranger to being hung out to dry and standing on his head) as well as a top-pairing d-man who can move the puck extremelt well.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

Calgary
Brett Connolly
Anders Lindback
2014 1st Rounder

Tampa Bay
Jay Bouwmeester
Mikka Kipprusoff

Starts the rebuild for Calgary, Tampa gets a top-flight goalie (who is no stranger to being hung out to dry and standing on his head) as well as a top-pairing d-man who can move the puck extremelt well.
Not bad value but we aren't gonna be going all in like that.
SY says he's not gonna sacrifice the future to win now.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

Calgary
Brett Connolly
Anders Lindback
2014 1st Rounder

Tampa Bay
Jay Bouwmeester
Mikka Kipprusoff

This is actually ok, well I think Kipper is worth the 1st. So Bouw for Lindback + Connolly.

Id rather move Giordano instead, if Tampa was willing too. Makes sense to me though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Not bad value but we aren't gonna be going all in like that.
SY says he's not gonna sacrifice the future to win now.
In all fairness, (with the exception of the 1st rounder) there are a couple blue chip offensive prospects, and solid goalie prospects in Tampa so I feel like this wouldn't be a huge blow to the future.

(Not saying these guys aren't valuable, just an acknowledgement of Tamps solid prospect pool)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote