HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
If that guy is Moen, I'm blocking you...
I wouldn't bet against Dumont, tbh. He's nuts.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
bud12

Moen is a beast. But, Armstrong is a bigger beast. Both are super-beast that play on a team full of beast.......

Old
03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wouldn't bet against Dumont, tbh. He's nuts.
Dumont would never fight Finley.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Dumont would never fight Finley.
It's almost as if I was joking.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Prust's shoulder injury occurred in a fight against a guy who is 6'7. Bourque's concussion happened when Orr smoked him. McLaren beat up Gorges and laughed at him. Chara beat up Emelin and could have seriously hurt him.

Did you miss those games?
The pacifists cherry pick information to support their claim that everything is fine and dandy with our team. Personally, I'm still on the fence vis-a-vis how good this team is. I think Toronto or Boston will slaughter us in the playoffs. Not by fighting, but wearing us down, and intimidating our players.

Again, ask any of the peaceniks if they've played competitive hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's almost as if I was joking.
hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
our mythical enforcer would have been on the ice for?
Corncob - fighters protect players before, during and for future games. In an interview, Tony Twist said that anything that isn't settled in the current game, is settled in a future game. It's about creating doubt in your opponent's mind.

This is so useless, I'm debating people who maybe... MAYBE played house league.

Last edited by hototogisu: 03-15-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 12:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
The pacifists cherry pick information to support their claim that everything is fine and dandy with our team. Personally, I'm still on the fence vis-a-vis how good this team is. I think Toronto or Boston will slaughter us in the playoffs. Not by fighting, but wearing us down, and intimidating our players.

Again, ask any of the peaceniks if they've played competitive hockey.
Let's drop all the generalizations full-stop. There are good cases to be made on both sides and calling people names isn't going to help get your point across.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
sakiaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
We need a bigger body on the fourth line that can play hockey because Therrien, for the most part, likes to role with four lines. It would be useless for us to get a player who fights but is a liability on the ice.
This. I read an article earlier this week that outlines how well Therrien has used his fourth line this year. (here's a link to it).

Armstrong, White and Moen barely score, but that's in part by design because they take the vast majority of their faceoffs in the defensive zone, freeing up easier minutes for the other lines. There's no way in hell that a talentless lug like Kassian would be able to do that. They'd be stuck double-shifting another player with the fourth line much of the time, which would mean that they'd be stuck using, say, the Plekanec line in defensive situations much more than they are now.

Basically, they'd be sacrificing one of the reasons that the team is doing well for the sake of having the occasional pointless scrap. No thank you.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
bud12

Bordeleau is good enough to replace Armstrong on the 4th line.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Corncob

Quote:

Someone should tell Colorado because they're only playing him for five minutes a game....

Old
03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Someone should tell Colorado because they're only playing him for five minutes a game....
And Colorado is in last place. What's your point?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
The guy replacing Armstrong is Dumont. Bordeleau would replace White

Old
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Corncob

Quote:
And Colorado is in last place. What's your point?
That it's not particularly obvious that someone with 25 career NHL games who is only getting 5 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league is 'good enough' to replace someone getting nearly 11 minutes a game on one of the best teams in the league.

Thought that was pretty clear tbh.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
sakiaba

Quote:
That it's not particularly obvious that someone with 25 career NHL games who is only getting 5 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league is 'good enough' to replace someone getting nearly 11 minutes a game on one of the best teams in the league.

It's even worse than that. Bordeleau's 5 minutes a game are offensive-zone minutes played primarily against other fourth liners. His metrics scream 'one-dimensional goon'.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
If that guy is Moen, I'm blocking you...
This guy is Prust himself.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
bud12

Quote:

because you would play Armstrong 11min a night if you were the coach? Armstrong would not even play on the colorado 4th line......... the guy is way to slow and SOFT.

Last edited by bud12: 03-15-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Take Prust out of the ice. Let's say he's not on the ice at this point. Who do you think goes and challenge Finley in his next shift? I can only think of one guy.
hypothetical scenarios are fun... ok, here's one -> I'm a billionnaire, I have villas in pretty much every big cities in the world on top of a chalet dans l'nord, and I buy/pay every single fighter in the NHL to join my new league, BET (Bullies En Tutu).

sounds fun don't you think ?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Manix58

The Habs don't need a bruiser on the team...

We'll need 4 lines in the playoffs, and the more who will contribute with goals, the better.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Corncob

Quote:
because you would play Armstrong 11min a night if you were the coach? Armstrong would not even play on the colorado 4th line......... the guy is way to slow and SOFT.
He is playing those minutes. We're dealing with actual facts here. Not baseless speculation like claiming that Bordelau could play 11 minutes per game on the Montreal 4th line without the team getting any worse.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
So pacifists use examples to back up their claims whereas, without any evidence whatsoever you attribute magical powers to the enforcer that make every single player on his team better and every single player on the opposing team worse. Those sneaky pacifists and their facts.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
bud12

Quote:
He is playing those minutes. We're dealing with actual facts here. Not baseless speculation like claiming that Bordelau could play 11 minutes per game on the Montreal 4th line without the team getting any worse.
Yeah he play them and he suck. If you watched Bordeleau play, you would know that he can do what Armstrong does except on the pk.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manix58 View Post
We'll need 4 lines in the playoffs, and the more who will contribute with goals, the better.
Agree. Armstrong is a big part of our offense with 0 GOALS

Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Those sneaky pacifists and their facts.
I've played competitive hockey on teams that were tough and soft. When tough, we played better. When soft, we'd even joke - nervously - about this or that team. It f's with your mind and your game. Is this really so hard to understand? Can anyone who has played Junior, on a soft team, claim this isn't true?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:25 PM
sakiaba

Quote:
Agree. Armstrong is a big part of our offense with 0 GOALS
Fourth liners can contribute by eating tough minutes against the opposition's top lines. They don't need to score to contribute, they only need to avoid being scored against, ideally by not being bottled up in their own zone. This allows the other three lines to play more minutes against the other team's depth players. For instance, one of the reasons that Plekanec has been so much more productive this year is that he's not stuck taking defensive zone faceoffs against the other team's top line as much.

If one-dimensional enforcers are played for too many minutes... well, you're the Toronto Maple Leafs. And I was going to make a comment about goons mostly sitting in the press box come playoff time, but Toronto probably won't have to worry about that.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
bud12

Quote:
I've played competitive hockey on teams that were tough and soft. When tough, we played better. When soft, we'd even joke - nervously - about this or that team. It f's with your mind and your game. Is this really so hard to understand? Can anyone who has played Junior, on a soft team, claim this isn't true?
100% true

Old
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
sakiaba

Quote:
I don't think that anyone here really thinks that we shouldn't have team toughness... it's just that ideally you need to have tough players who can also play hockey. Prust may not be a heavyweight, but no one would deny that he's improved team toughness. It's maddening, but one of the reasons that the Bruins are so good is that most of their tough players also contribute in other ways (the exception being Thornton, who is atrocious).

Closed Thread