HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Rangers lack of depth

Old
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Jax1166

vCash: 500
Does anybody think with the Rangers lacking D depth maybe Marek Malik could help?

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Yes, by far the worst bottom 6 in the league.

People are blaming the Gaboriks and Richards, largely warranted but they both had worst stretches last year. The difference is guys like Dubi Feds Prust AA stepped up in their lack of production for most of last year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I've been pleased with the games of Halpern, Powe, Pyatt.

I think our whole team hasn't scored enough, and Tortorella has consequently been shifting the bottom six less. Less ive time= less production. The first 2 lines lack of consistent production has trickled down on the rest of the team
The problem is, despite these guys playing well, there not playing well for the roles. That's not their fault, though. You just can't have two 4th lines on your hockey team. You need a 3rd line to provide some secondary scoring. This hasn't just been a problem this season, though.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
The Rangers are always needy of scoring.
He slipped away to the Isles and now with the Avs is hardly proving he was a leach off Tavares there.

How did the Rangers let a solid scoring talent go? Bad move Slats.
This is useful.

03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Not Slats fault. P.A. couldnt crack our lineup, so he got spun...

looks like a FAIL right now... but thats what happened

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Feds didn't do much last year either. That's just nostalgia talking. He was alright his first year and a 4th liner for the most part last year.

We need a couple things to complete a 3rd line. Miller, Pyatt on the left, and a decent 3rd line RW on the right. That's an acceptable third line in my mind.

Boyle, on the other hand has regressed back into a 4th line pivot, and frankly Halpern has been better than him this year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Feds didn't do much last year either. That's just nostalgia talking. He was alright his first year and a 4th liner for the most part last year.

We need a couple things to complete a 3rd line. Miller, Pyatt on the left, and a decent 3rd line RW on the right. That's an acceptable third line in my mind.

Boyle, on the other hand has regressed back into a 4th line pivot, and frankly Halpern has been better than him this year.
Feds is better than anyone on our bottom 6 right now and he was maybe the 11th/12th best forward last year.

Depressing.

Last edited by Kershaw: 03-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Joey Crabb had a goal last night !

Why slats? Why??

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:33 PM
esidebill

The bottom six scoring is nice... but it would be great if the top lines could put up points consistently too.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Secondary scoring was a problem well before the Nash trade. This team hasn't had secondary scoring for years.
that's not true. we used to be a team with entirely ONLY secondary scoring. (see Scott Gomez, 1st line center)

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
segmentation fault

I dont think the "lack of depth" would even be talked about if our top players were actually playing like top players.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust, and Fedotenko all regressed last season and yet here you guys are talking about them like if they were some important pieces to our team . If anything, they held this team back. The guys that actually were behind this team's success last season were guys that frequently show up on the Trade Rumors section on the main boards: (Stepan, Del Zotto, Gaborik, etc.)

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
The bottom six scoring is nice... but it would be great if the top lines could put up points consistently too.
I just don't understand this.

Our bottom 6, let's be honest, is dreadful. I love the addition of Powe and Halpern has been playing well, but there is ZERO offense coming from the 3rd and 4th lines. We have two fourth lines and in the playoffs, its going to kill us. Now, the top lines need to be more consistent, I agree, but this team is especially desperate for a legitimate 3rd line.

There is about 4-5 guys on the team that if they are not scoring, we won't get ANY GOALS. That is SAD.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prust, and Fedotenko all regressed last season and yet here you guys are talking about them like if they were some important pieces to our team . If anything, they held this team back. The guys that actually were behind this team's success last season were guys that frequently show up on the Trade Rumors section on the main boards: (Stepan, Del Zotto, Gaborik, etc.)
Those were all guys who got in on the forecheck, forced turnovers, and worked their ***es off for every inch of the ice.

Look at last night's game. WPG had no trouble regaining control of the puck in their own zone, and then were usually able to make one easy pass and be on the attack. Last year, those were guys who helped set the tone for the game. Cally can't do it by himself. If you don't think this team would be better with those players in the bottom 6 than with our current bottom 6, I don't know what games you're watching.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
I just don't understand this.

Our bottom 6, let's be honest, is dreadful. I love the addition of Powe and Halpern has been playing well, but there is ZERO offense coming from the 3rd and 4th lines. We have two fourth lines and in the playoffs, its going to kill us. Now, the top lines need to be more consistent, I agree, but this team is especially desperate for a legitimate 3rd line.

There is about 4-5 guys on the team that if they are not scoring, we won't get ANY GOALS. That is SAD.
I meant more like: It would be nice if the bottom lines scored, but the top lines should be more consistent. Honestly, the Rangers are a season of luck away from having a really solid bottom line, but due to let downs in the prospect's readiness, we're stuck until then.

I figure if we get lucky, and the young kids develop, we'll have a great bottom side.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
If those players held us back last year, one would think we would be playing better without them this season. At least those players bought into the team concept and helped us forge a collective identity, something that this year's team is sorely lacking.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Those were all guys who got in on the forecheck, forced turnovers, and worked their ***es off for every inch of the ice.

Look at last night's game. WPG had no trouble regaining control of the puck in their own zone, and then were usually able to make one easy pass and be on the attack. Last year, those were guys who helped set the tone for the game. Cally can't do it by himself. If you don't think this team would be better with those players in the bottom 6 than with our current bottom 6, I don't know what games you're watching.
See that's a common misconception here. Of course our team would look better with Dubinsky and Anisimov on it, but that's not reality. We lost those players in the Nash trade, which I still think was the right move. Oh and I'm glad we let go of Prust and Fedotenko. I can't believe there are people that actually think we should have kept them .

Old
03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I agree. But when those players aren't producing, you'd like your 3rd line to step up and score a goal on the rare occasion to keep the team in the game. And they just aren't doing that. If our top-6 isn't scoring, NO ONE is. And I think that's a big problem.
I mentioned the 3rd line (2nd fourth line) and the lack of depth there as well. I've been saying for games it would be great to get a goal from the bottom 6. We got one from Boyle, and won.

But i can't put all of the blame on the players here really. Of course they need to generate more (shoot, from all angles - go to net, get to the middle of the ice for christssake), but I feel like it's more of an organizational thing (Slats, Gordon) that this area wasn't addressed as well as it should have considering the players that fled.

Then again, the cap situation and lockout may have had a lot to do with that, because they were limited in what they could have done especially considering the upcoming contracts that are looming.

Sometimes things just dont break right, especially when you put so much stock in two star players who underperform, not to mention some injury issues and losing a player like Staal.

But every argument you can come up with this team (currently constructed) usually mentions Gaborik and Richards. Theres a lot of blame to spread around, but to me not getting even 90% of what these guys can supply is killing this team right now. Especially Gaborik - he's been absolutely atrocious.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If those players held us back last year, one would think we would be playing better without them this season. At least those players bought into the team concept and helped us forge a collective identity, something that this year's team is sorely lacking.
Well I guess it's time for a new identity.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I mentioned the 3rd line (2nd fourth line) and the lack of depth there as well. I've been saying for games it would be great to get a goal from the bottom 6. We got one from Boyle, and won.

But i can't put all of the blame on the players here really. Of course they need to generate more (shoot, from all angles - go to net, get to the middle of the ice for christssake), but I feel like it's more of an organizational thing (Slats, Gordon) that this area wasn't addressed as well as it should have considering the players that fled.

Then again, the cap situation and lockout may have had a lot to do with that, because they were limited in what they can do especially considering the contracts theyll have to sign for some current players - not knowing what the cap will be, etc.

Sometimes things just dont break right, especially when you put so much stock in two star players who underperform, not to mention some injury issues and losing a player like Staal.
This. A more effective bottom six would mean a more expensive bottom six. The organization was banking on our top end forwards to carry the offense and the gamble hasn't paid off so far.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Well I guess it's time for a new identity.
With this personnel, I'd build a puck possession team. But our coach is our coach, for now.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
esidebill

Quote:
With this personnel, I'd build a puck possession team. But our coach is our coach, for now.
How many people can keep the puck on this team?

Old
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The problem is Boyle and Pyatt are too slow to do anything like that. The team just doesn't mesh well at all.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
How many people can keep the puck on this team?
Richards and Stepan are pivots suited towards cycling over counter attacking. Pyatt and Boyle are good along the boards, Nash is good at both styles, as is Hagelin.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
This. A more effective bottom six would mean a more expensive bottom six. The organization was banking on our top end forwards to carry the offense and the gamble hasn't paid off so far.
Exactly. They were handcuffed not knowing what the cap would be and all of the upcoming contracts that need to be signed...

They need the top 6 to perform. And once again we are back to square 1 and 2. Gabby and Richards. The Rangers will go as they go.

And what really sucks is that we are getting sound, consistent production from Stepan. If he was a second threat instead of a primary right now, things would look a hell of lot different and the 4th line wouldnt be talked about.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote