HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Kuchmey will be in the OHL next season. Question is where? His biggest problem IMHO is that he wasn't drafted in the 2nd round like DeKort. Very hard for WR to admit he made a poor choice. Kuchmey isn't the prototype goalie that everyone looks for in today's hockey, size wise. Hopefully he will get his shot.

Meanwhile, where it counts most, in Windsor we can only wonder where WR (or his replacement) will find a goaltender. I guess we'll have to wait for the announcement regarding the site for the 2014 Memorial Cup before we'll get the answer.
The DeKort situation has not been handled properly at all imo. It can be debated whether or not DeKort is good enough but what can't be debated is they have never really given DeKort the opportunity to develop. What's horrible is reading Boughner hanging DeKort out to dry and saying the goaltending wasn't good enough. Well if you only give him a game every 4 weeks to begin the year and then expect him to play well when you put him between the pipes you won't get the desired results. If anything this year has proven once again why the Spits can't develop a goalie, it's because they put too much emphasis on trying to get wins instead of development. This team was all but done over a month ago and they were still putting Pavelka between the pipes. Look at what Plymouth has done with their goalie this year. Would the Spits ever have the guts to play a 16 year old goalie over a 19 year old? That would never happen. Any 16 year old goalie drafted by Windsor should decline because the track record through 7 years of ownership tell you that he will never get the proper training or opportunity to perform.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
OHLTG

You can't compare Windsor and Plymouth for goaltending, especially this year. Why? Two VERY different teams in front of them. Windsor has had horrific luck with injuries and suspensions, so their defence has been a matter of who's willing to play back there on any given night. While I don't disagree that DeKort needs more playing time, comparing him to how the Ply 16-year old is developing isn't fair. He has a rock in front of him. Put DeKort on the 09 team and tell me how he does.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You can't compare Windsor and Plymouth for goaltending, especially this year. Why? Two VERY different teams in front of them. Windsor has had horrific luck with injuries and suspensions, so their defence has been a matter of who's willing to play back there on any given night. While I don't disagree that DeKort needs more playing time, comparing him to how the Ply 16-year old is developing isn't fair. He has a rock in front of him. Put DeKort on the 09 team and tell me how he does.
We would never know because Gleeson (16 yr) was the backup goalie that year for the first half of the year and only played 5 games. I am not sure who the better goalie between Gleeson and DeKort is at their respective times in Windsor. This isn't just about this year about Plymouth but look at the goalies they have developed from Zepp, Neuvirth, Smith, Hackett, Wedgewood, Drew you could even include Mahalak in that discussion to a lesser extent.

The point is this if Rychel has such an issue with not developing a goalie he needs to look no further than himself and the coaching staff. The next time this ownership and coaching staff develop a goalie will be the first time.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
OHLTG

When was the last poor Plymouth team, though? That's my point; you can't use a Whalers' goaltender for comparison. You have huge talent in front of you every year, sure, you're going to become a confident, reliable goaltender. I'd compare DeKort's stats to other rookies on sub-500 teams first, see how those stack up.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Interesting numbers to look at projecting towards next yr
The Spits with 2 games remaining have the 7th most goals projected to return next yr
in the OHL with 166 goals
A bummer is that 8 of the top 11 come from the powerful Western Conference,and 6 of the
top 7,only Kingston with 179 and 3rd highest is from the east in that top 7
Of note and rather disturbing at that lol is London loses only 10 goals from this season"s
total so far giving them 260 goals far head of anybody as u will see in a moment when
all teams are listed,in fact 30 per cent higher then the closest team
I tried to use a simple criteria of what I felt was reasonable expectations of players
graduating although some teams totals may be affected,Windsor is not one of them,though I left room for at least 1 O/A maybe 2 depending what happens in goal,maybe a Euro goalie directed to Windsor by an NHL team from what I heard at the rink last night
Here is the list of 20 OHL teams and their projected goals returning
1- London-260,2-Guelph-200,3-King-179,4-Erie-176,5-Ply-173,6-Sag-168,7-Windsor-166
8-Bramp-161,9-Sud-149,10-OwenSd-148,11-SSM-148,12-Barrie-131,13-Ott-129,
14-Bellville-128,15-Miss-119,16-Pet-117,17-Osh-114,18-Sarnia-108,19-Kitch-101,
and 20th-Nfalls-82
Observations,even if London loses Griffith his 33 goals gone wont matter imo
Re Ply I still think Tom Wilson makes the Capitals,his 23 goals would be missed plus the things he brings,Sag- if Eric Locke graduates his 44 Goals etc would really hurt,Brampton and Barclay Goodrow his 30 plus goals on a team that struggles off,Owen Sd should Cameron Brace and his 33 goals leave,SSM,David Broll 17 goals and size,Schmaucher same thing and a Euro double spot, and then some of the bottom half teams player concerns Barrie"s Zach Hall,Osh Scott Laughton and Lucas Lessio,,Ottawa and Sean Monahan,Sarnia and Alex Basso,Missy and Kristoff Kontos
As one can see a lot of uncertain scenarios to be sure
Between 7-10 teams either have or may have goaltending issues including Windsor which
will discussed at a later time
Thoughts anyone?

Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The DeKort situation has not been handled properly at all imo. It can be debated whether or not DeKort is good enough but what can't be debated is they have never really given DeKort the opportunity to develop. What's horrible is reading Boughner hanging DeKort out to dry and saying the goaltending wasn't good enough. Well if you only give him a game every 4 weeks to begin the year and then expect him to play well when you put him between the pipes you won't get the desired results. If anything this year has proven once again why the Spits can't develop a goalie, it's because they put too much emphasis on trying to get wins instead of development. This team was all but done over a month ago and they were still putting Pavelka between the pipes.
It's the old chicken or the egg debate here.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Ottomatic

Was Dark that good a goalie coach?

Old
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
maybe a Euro goalie directed to Windsor by an NHL team from what I heard at the rink last night
I'd imagine they won't grab a 94 goalie with it, so if they go this route, spells the end of DeKort??

Old
03-15-2013, 06:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Was Dark that good a goalie coach?
Houser, Paterson, Stolarz and Engelage in Windsor you make your own judgments.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
When was the last poor Plymouth team, though? That's my point; you can't use a Whalers' goaltender for comparison. You have huge talent in front of you every year, sure, you're going to become a confident, reliable goaltender. I'd compare DeKort's stats to other rookies on sub-500 teams first, see how those stack up.
Does this go back to Plymouth having better coaching and scouts therefore being able to develop better talent? We have had 2 poor Windsor teams in the last 2 years and everything that needs to be examined. If I woke up on Monday morning reading Jones and Matsos aren't returning I wouldn't be upset.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I still don't see Wilson in the NHL. You still saw 1st rounders like Rieder, Faksa, Puempel, Noesen, Strome, Rakell all stay their final year in the O. I don't see Wilson being noticeably better than the above 6 I mentioned, you can throw Jenner in that mix as well.

Im not on board with the idea of an import goalie. He would have to adjust very quickly and looking at the D the past few years that's a huge question mark. They need offensive playmakers to make this team better. No Koko, Aleardi those are 2 of your top 6 or two of your top 3, need to get forwards and a lot of them.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I still don't see Wilson in the NHL. You still saw 1st rounders like Rieder, Faksa, Puempel, Noesen, Strome, Rakell all stay their final year in the O. I don't see Wilson being noticeably better than the above 6 I mentioned, you can throw Jenner in that mix as well.

Im not on board with the idea of an import goalie. He would have to adjust very quickly and looking at the D the past few years that's a huge question mark. They need offensive playmakers to make this team better. No Koko, Aleardi those are 2 of your top 6 or two of your top 3, need to get forwards and a lot of them.
While I get what u are saying re Wilson,though he brings a different skill then those u mentioned especially with the NHL seemingly going back to more toughness and with Wilson combined with skill might be an exception especially to a team desparate to do something sooner then later
The fact that he is signed already and really impressed at varoius camps makes me think this wat
As for a Euro goalie steered by NHL team I admit i am torn,but if it does not use up an O/A spot,maybe,I agree Windsor needs to add to the offense especially with Koko and Aleardi leaving
I do think HoSang will do more next yr as well as Verbeek,u toss in a healthy Marchese,afterall he was the 4th leading scorer after the 1st 30 games,before the last concussion hit,I know it is an if but he did score 19 goals in 62 games last yr,should be good for 20 or more,and he is really good on shootouts
No doubt 3 or more offfensive guys need to be found going forward,the defense outside of Sanvido very mobile and able to put up points
Goaltending we shall see

Old
03-15-2013, 07:28 PM
RayzorIsDull

I think a shake up needs to happen. You just can't bring back every forward and replace Clark, Aleardi and Koko with 3 newcomcers. Status quo from 11/12 to 12/13 is what got this team in the predicament they are in now. Marchese I can't see returning he never bought into 2 way hockey. HoSang I like him but I am not sure how much success you can have with him being the focal point of the offense. Verbeek I am not high on, might be a decent 3rd/4th line grinder but not much more. I don't see a big difference between Verbeek this year and Studnicka last year.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think a shake up needs to happen. You just can't bring back every forward and replace Clark, Aleardi and Koko with 3 newcomcers. Status quo from 11/12 to 12/13 is what got this team in the predicament they are in now. Marchese I can't see returning he never bought into 2 way hockey. HoSang I like him but I am not sure how much success you can have with him being the focal point of the offense. Verbeek I am not high on, might be a decent 3rd/4th line grinder but not much more. I don't see a big difference between Verbeek this year and Studnicka last year.
I see Verbeek as having more offensive ability then Studnicka,he is faster and I think more to the table
I get what u are saying about Marchese,though before his concussions he was playing much better,I would rather get a look at him at camp before writing him off
It should be noted that it was Marchese not the Spits who shut him down for the season
As for adding forwards 3 or 4 impactful forwards thru trade,Euro drat,entry draft,free agents,US organizational signings
Hey would it not be nice if Washington signed Riley Barber and sent to Windsor,combine him with Allen and Schmaltz,a impactful Euro, a free agent from the UsHl,an o/a or 2 and u would have 4-6 impact type forwards to go with Rychel,Johnson,Vail,Giftopoulous,HoSang,Verbeek and others
Wishful thinking re 3 USA guys but 2 would be nice,the others could be attainable

Old
03-15-2013, 08:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I'd imagine they won't grab a 94 goalie with it, so if they go this route, spells the end of DeKort??
I stumbled on a conversation between others,I was even told the team however
I wont say it on these boards,lets just say it makes some sense re the team,player
and especially if Windsor gets to host the Mem Cup not saying they will

Old
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I stumbled on a conversation between others,I was even told the team however
I wont say it on these boards,lets just say it makes some sense re the team,player
and especially if Windsor gets to host the Mem Cup not saying they will
Sounds like you're referring to maybe a deal involving Oscar Dansk. He still has a year left, hasn't played well in Erie. It might be up in the air whether Columbus wants him in the OHL for another year but I guess it's an option.

The stuff with every domino falling right with american kids would be a dream come true but we would still be waiting 3-4 more months for all that to play out.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Sounds like you're referring to maybe a deal involving Oscar Dansk. He still has a year left, hasn't played well in Erie. It might be up in the air whether Columbus wants him in the OHL for another year but I guess it's an option.

The stuff with every domino falling right with american kids would be a dream come true but we would still be waiting 3-4 more months for all that to play out.
Good guess,thought about that myself but no that is not the team that was told

to me

You are correct re the Americans hopefully we will know prior to NHL draft

Old
03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Good guess,thought about that myself but no that is not the team that was told

to me

You are correct re the Americans hopefully we will know prior to NHL draft
Do the Steelheads still have the rights to Vasilevski?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Does this go back to Plymouth having better coaching and scouts therefore being able to develop better talent? We have had 2 poor Windsor teams in the last 2 years and everything that needs to be examined. If I woke up on Monday morning reading Jones and Matsos aren't returning I wouldn't be upset.
Don't forget, we were expected to be poor last year. Everyone knew it. That was a write-off year.

As for Plymouth, I don't know what it comes down to. Could be a number of things, coaching/scouting included.

As for Tom Wilson - he'll be a top 6 NHL forward within 5-years. Think Milan Lucic. Watch!

Legend - you said Marchese could be better next year. I wouldn't count on him being back for us. Call it a gut feeling, but I've heard stuff and it doesn't give me the "ooh, he's coming back!!! " feel.

Regarding goaltending - if it's a veteran import, why not just keep Pavelka? Unless they have other OAs in mind? Is Dansk worth that much more than Pav?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Do the Steelheads still have the rights to Vasilevski?
Not sure about that one,with the new rules are they allowed to trade him,or does he go

back in the draft or a free agent,do they release him

Old
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Don't forget, we were expected to be poor last year. Everyone knew it. That was a write-off year.

As for Plymouth, I don't know what it comes down to. Could be a number of things, coaching/scouting included.

As for Tom Wilson - he'll be a top 6 NHL forward within 5-years. Think Milan Lucic. Watch!

Legend - you said Marchese could be better next year. I wouldn't count on him being back for us. Call it a gut feeling, but I've heard stuff and it doesn't give me the "ooh, he's coming back!!! " feel.

Regarding goaltending - if it's a veteran import, why not just keep Pavelka? Unless they have other OAs in mind? Is Dansk worth that much more than Pav?
Its not Dansk I was referring to

As for Marchese I get what u are saying

Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
doogie24

Anyone looking for a red Spitfires jersey? the shop has buy one get one free right now.

I am looking for a white XL, so if anyone was looking for a red XL, let me know ! would cost about 65 or 70 each I believe (125$ regular before tax)

Old
03-15-2013, 11:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...re-injury-bug/

Management owning up to some of the problems. Still not a big fan if all the coaches return, at this time there's nothing wrong with change.

Rychel talking about how they drafted potential recently and not always based on current production. Admits his whiff on the import draft.

Boughner says more of an emphasis has to be put on quality OA's leadership and maturity is important. A lot of us have been saying that but we will see if they deliver on that. Giftopolous is a nice start and I have liked what I've seen but... he can't do it himself and he needs 2 other OA's for support.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:02 AM
coachfluffy

I agree about the coaching staff. I wonder if they are losing any credibility with the make up. The owner, his best friend / best man at his wedding and his brother in law. DJ Smith, who was probably their best coach and the only one I think that could communicate with the players without yelling, had to leave if he ever wanted to be anymore than a second or third assistant coach.

Although they ended up with two pretty good imports, the messing around at the beginning trying to find Kerby a linemate cost them 2 players cards.

They kept bringing in players with reps for bad attitudes (Marchese, Schoenmaker and Murphy for starters), and that bit them as well, costing them 2 more wasted cards.

Not sure what Koko's attitude is like but I know he would rather be somewhere else. He did not come back because he did not like playing with Kerby. His NHL team told him he had to play in North America after the worlds so he had no choice but to play here. I know defensively he is playing more loose, Kerby like, than he has in the past.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:42 AM
OHLTG

Any predictions on tonight in Ply? Other than them cleaning the ice with us, I mean

Closed Thread