HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Yea it won't look like that with the final design. You need an entry way for the zamboni as well as the players.
I know this is just prelim but it looks like the Zamboni entrance could be either of the near board corners ... when looking at this rendering anyway I mean

Old
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I know this is just prelim but it looks like the Zamboni entrance could be either of the near board corners ... when looking at this rendering anyway I mean
Yea i expected that. If this is just a earlier design so awesome i want to know what the final design looks like.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:30 PM
gmjevtwa

Quote:
Yea i expected that. If this is just a earlier design so awesome i want to know what the final design looks like.
Considering that there is also no center scoreboard (among many other arena details), I anticipate that the final design will probably be completed in the fall 2013.

For now, the designs are impressive. I certainly hope this project works out.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Puck Daddy with his thoughts:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6468--nhl.html

Quote:
What are “pocket suites” you ask? According to Hansen, they’re lower-level suites located near the ice that “give direct suite access to the suite holders without creating an unsightly gap in the camera view of the lower seating level.”

Which sounds awesome. Expensive as all heck, but awesome.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Got a Junior hockey team named Seattle Thunderbirds..not sure how easy they will give up.
The question is if the WHL team can survive with an NHL team in the market, too. Wouldn't be very surprised if the team relocated elsewhere in response to the NHL moving in, at which point they'd probably be willing to sell the name for a modest fee to help with the costs of relocation.

But just speculation on my part. They might very well have had conversations about sharing the name (NHL Thunderbirds and WHL Jr. Thunderbirds) or the WHL team reverting to its original name (Breakers) or just something entirely different altogether.

If Seattle does get a team though, I do hope they're able to use the Thunderbirds moniker. Fantastic name all around.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The question is if the WHL team can survive with an NHL team in the market, too. Wouldn't be very surprised if the team relocated elsewhere in response to the NHL moving in, at which point they'd probably be willing to sell the name for a modest fee to help with the costs of relocation.

But just speculation on my part. They might very well have had conversations about sharing the name (NHL Thunderbirds and WHL Jr. Thunderbirds) or the WHL team reverting to its original name (Breakers) or just something entirely different altogether.

If Seattle does get a team though, I do hope they're able to use the Thunderbirds moniker. Fantastic name all around.
I doubt the thunderbirds will go.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The question is if the WHL team can survive with an NHL team in the market, too.
There are two WHL teams in the market, both out in the suburbs in newer arenas. NHL may help them by driving up local interest in hockey.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Dado

vCash:
They aren't being very shy about their NHL ambitions...!

Quote:
I am just as pumped as most of you to see the return of professional hockey to Seattle, and honestly can't wait to see this building bursting at the seams with crazed Seattle hockey fans.
Great stuff!

Old
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Those pocket suites will be even closer to the action for hockey wow

Old
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

My ideal hope is if we can have yotes play one more year in Glendale, then move them to Seattle for 14-15 season.

Think it would be advantageous to spread around the honey moon periods for both the nba and nhl

Old
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
My ideal hope is if we can have yotes play one more year in Glendale, then move them to Seattle for 14-15 season.

Think it would be advantageous to spread around the honey moon periods for both the nba and nhl
Well the rumors are if Kings deal is approved Coyotes are coming here for 13-14 season.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Well the rumors are if Kings deal is approved Coyotes are coming here for 13-14 season.
Im okay with that. Just think it would be good for yotes to get new franchise love all by itself, and also give a year to get awareness up

Old
03-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Im okay with that. Just think it would be good for yotes to get new franchise love all by itself, and also give a year to get awareness up
Totally understand, but the "Phoenix decision" is well past due, and you'd have to think that Bettman and co. are ready to get out of that ownership mess as soon as possible, even if it's to play in the awkward setup at the Key Arena for a couple of seasons. No point in stringing along the Phoenix fans for another year - and for the record, I do feel VERY sorry for them (it's terrible what they've had to go through). I just hope they continue to support the Coyotes franchise, or at least the NHL in general, rather than simply abandoning the league.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Totally understand, but the "Phoenix decision" is well past due, and you'd have to think that Bettman and co. are ready to get out of that ownership mess as soon as possible, even if it's to play in the awkward setup at the Key Arena for a couple of seasons. No point in stringing along the Phoenix fans for another year - and for the record, I do feel VERY sorry for them (it's terrible what they've had to go through). I just hope they continue to support the Coyotes franchise, or at least the NHL in general, rather than simply abandoning the league.
Coyote fans are fine and will be either way, Blue Goose, but you also forget those fans w/ the CHL Sundogs, the ECHL Gladiators, (Gwinnett's 2nd relocated franchise after losing Atlanta), and Portland, the current Coyotes top affiliate. how do you know that Bettman is ready to resolve Phoenix/Glendale, when the priority has been to stabilize it by leaving them right where they are.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Coyote fans are fine and will be either way, Blue Goose, but you also forget those fans w/ the CHL Sundogs, the ECHL Gladiators, (Gwinnett's 2nd relocated franchise after losing Atlanta), and Portland, the current Coyotes top affiliate. how do you know that Bettman is ready to resolve Phoenix/Glendale, when the priority has been to stabilize it by leaving them right where they are.
Yes, but one has to acknowledge that at some point, a final decision has to be made, the league has to fish or cut bait. This can't go on forever. Especially if the league is losing money on this.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Everyone is questionning the viability of the Key as an option for holding the Yotes temporarily until a new arena is finished. But what about this: does anyone think that a deal could be made for Hansen to purchase the Yotes after this season (keeping it on the downlow) but still have them play in Glendale for the next few seasons until the new arena is ready? This way even though everyone may still be left in limbo with regards to the sale of the Yotes (as usual) but likely wouldn't affect ticket sales in Glendale. Just a thought.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:24 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Everyone is questionning the viability of the Key as an option for holding the Yotes temporarily until a new arena is finished. But what about this: does anyone think that a deal could be made for Hansen to purchase the Yotes after this season (keeping it on the downlow) but still have them play in Glendale for the next few seasons until the new arena is ready? This way even though everyone may still be left in limbo with regards to the sale of the Yotes (as usual) but likely wouldn't affect ticket sales in Glendale. Just a thought.
Hansen isn't going to be owner of the hockey team. That is not going to happen someone isn't going to buy the coyotes and keep them there until new arena is built in seattle. That's 2-3 or longer years of lame duck seasons.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
You're absolutely right - I have no idea what Bettman is thinking. It's just a hunch. But it's the kind of thing that none of the owners are going to publicly state until after the team has moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Yes, but one has to acknowledge that at some point, a final decision has to be made, the league has to fish or cut bait. This can't go on forever. Especially if the league is losing money on this.
This.
Three years without an owner, and no realistic option has materialized. Bettman has to be feeling pressure from the other 29 owners to get something done ASAP.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Everyone is questionning the viability of the Key as an option for holding the Yotes temporarily until a new arena is finished.
Hansens letter to the city last year (I linked it a page or two back in this thread) had some pretty extensive upgrades to Key to make it a suitable temp facility for the NHL. For a year or two it would be fine and the NHL has a lot of history putting up with less than ideal buildings in a temporary setup.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Nuclear SUV

Losses from playing at the Key could be potentially balanced out by revenue from an RSN. The Coyotes off all franchises know what it is like to play in a venue with a poor hockey configuration.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Losses from playing at the Key could be potentially balanced out by revenue from an RSN. The Coyotes off all franchises know what it is like to play in a venue with a poor hockey configuration.
The potential for RSN up here could be amazing

Old
03-15-2013, 01:51 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Agreed - and the NHL will primarily be looking at long term views when considering relocation ... and if an owner is willing to put up with a year or two at Key Arena i doubt that becomes an issue ... especially if it does get those upgrades outlined in that letter.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Agreed - and the NHL will primarily be looking at long term views when considering relocation ... and if an owner is willing to put up with a year or two at Key Arena i doubt that becomes an issue ... especially if it does get those upgrades outlined in that letter.
If we consider that the use of Key Arena would only be required if the Coyotes are relocated (expansion would happen after the new arena is done), I think the new owner could withstand losses by making them a "cap floor" team for those first two years. I don't think it would be hard, and without starting a conspiracy theory, I couldn't help but notice how many FA's the Coyotes will have this summer:

http://capgeek.com/coyotes/

The contracts for GM Don Maloney and coach Dave Tippett will also expire at the end of this season. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded Doan, since he only re-signed under the assumption that he'd finish his career in PHX, and that would take his huge contract off the books. They could probably acquire some players who have high cap hits and low actual salaries (maybe not Kiprusoff or Briere, but people with similar contracts), and sit just above the $44M cap floor and have the actual salary be less than that.

I don't know, I'm just speculating, but it would help offset the losses.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:28 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
You're absolutely right - I have no idea what Bettman is thinking. It's just a hunch. But it's the kind of thing that none of the owners are going to publicly state until after the team has moved.

This.
Three years without an owner, and no realistic option has materialized. Bettman has to be feeling pressure from the other 29 owners to get something done ASAP.
Exactly the point, and thanks. Whether or not the commissioner is feeling pressure or not, it really doesn't matter, and shouldn't. It's time to provide the fans some certainty. Many of us have discussed this issue almost until we are blue in the face on this board and others over the better part of the last four years (what are we up to now, volume 70 or something on the Phoenix thread?) and I think all of us are ready for this to end one way or the other. I think the fans in Phoenix are ready for this to end as well one way or the other, and same for those in Quebec. Time to fish or cut bait, Bettman and Daly.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
The potential for RSN up here could be amazing
Yeah. And as I have already noted, it can already be done by Comcast and Root merging into one......

Closed Thread