HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need better goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 01:34 AM
  #1
lilidk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
We need better goalie

Problem with this team in the net. Jimmy probably has career worst season . Team fill not comfortable with backups. Red Wings needs to trade for proven keeper and split his time with Howard

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:42 AM
  #2
RedWinger10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Hate to say it but apparently they are working on a $5M long term deal with Howard.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:08 AM
  #3
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,436
vCash: 500
Goaltending has cost us 2-5 points so far this season, but the Wings will not trade for a goalie.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:24 AM
  #4
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
he hasn't been that bad. he's had bad games yes but he's also had a few great games. to start the year the team played no D his numbers fell. they started to play D again and he's looked good most nights great a few brilliant once or twice and horrible once or twice. its called being a middle of the league goalie.
that being said I hate the thought of him being locked up long term for a big cap hit. pick one or the other bro.

Especially with Petr Mrazek playing incredable down in Grand Rapids right now
last 5 Games, 2.01 GAA, .931 Save%, 136/146

so lets assume Mrazek needs two more years in the AHL (he doesn't) Howard gets his 6-7 year deal. that means at minimum we have 4-5 years with both Howard and Mrazek in net. first year Mrazek as a full time backup fine second year part time backup really challenging for starting spot, third year Howard is a burden because of his cap hit.
A 4 year deal is what he deserves even if its at 5.5 million it gives us an out once he's past his prime and Mrazek is ready to be a full time starter.

also this just popped into head, what if Paterson pans out? his stats aren't great but he is the only bright spot on his team and stands on his head most of the time. in 3 years he will be 2 years into Grand Rapids. being about ready to play a part time backup role in Detroit

I'm rambling at this point. in short. the team doesn't need better goal tending it was one bad game, the rumored extension he's getting is a bad move and I wonder if he said long term or no deal. Mrazek will be in Detroit full time sooner than expected. and Paterson could be the straw on Howard's back.


Last edited by WesNichols14: 03-15-2013 at 02:29 AM.
WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:58 AM
  #5
lilidk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Isnít Dats play defense first because goaltending sucks. Great saves makes teammates play better game and they can play open hockey, more fun for fans

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  #6
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19,514
vCash: 500
Jimmy was inconsistent to start the year but has turned it around good. He ranks top10 in all the work horse categories and the output categories are trending towards top10 too.

His starts last three weeks(4-1-2):
1.000
.857
.931
.970
.973
1.000
.905

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:42 AM
  #7
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard
 
Mantha Poodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,106
vCash: 500
Goaltending isn't this team's issue. Vanilla save % is rather worthless. Sure, Howie lets in the occasional softie--he's not an elite goalie--but he's definitely starting material. The problem is there's no team that can bail their goalie after softies at the moment, and meanwhile when the goalie is playing well, the Wings are gift-wrapping their opponents great scoring chances with awful turnovers.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:44 AM
  #8
lkleung007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
I tend to agree with you...Howard has played real well only in a handful of games that he has started this year...the rest including his last game against Columbus has not been anything special. When our defensemen and forwards don't constantly give up the puck in "danger areas" on the ice...our goalies do pretty well at stopping the shots...just look at our first game against the Blues and the last game against the Flames...team was brutal!!

I know we are working on a long term deal with Howard but it could come back to haunt the team if the cost is more than 4 million against the cap.

Unfortunately, with Gustavsson's injury we have not been able to see what we have in Howard's backup...3 games is hardly enough for a fair assessment...I think we need at least 10 starts to know if Gustavsson deserves more starts and can actually "push" Howard for the #1 spot. But with the shortened season and us needing every point, I doubt Babcock is willing to "experiment" with our lineup. Remember how poor Howard played at the beginning of the year...but better after starting more than 10-15 games.

lkleung007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:39 AM
  #9
Shadywing19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Our offense and defense has cost us many more points this year than goaltending. On the list off issues we have. Goaltending is dead last

Shadywing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
  #10
JPE123
Registered User
 
JPE123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
I think Howard is a decent goalie. Backup is clearly a problem. Mrazek should be up next year. Would not give Howard more than 4 year contract

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:13 AM
  #11
Hendricks433
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
I think Howard is a decent goalie. Backup is clearly a problem. Mrazek should be up next year. Would not give Howard more than 4 year contract
Gustavson(sp?) has only started a couple games and was left out to dry in the 3rd period vs Calgary. They also played like crap and scored 9 goals when he played Columbus.

Hendricks433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:26 AM
  #12
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
he hasn't been that bad. he's had bad games yes but he's also had a few great games. to start the year the team played no D his numbers fell. they started to play D again and he's looked good most nights great a few brilliant once or twice and horrible once or twice. its called being a middle of the league goalie.
that being said I hate the thought of him being locked up long term for a big cap hit. pick one or the other bro.

Especially with Petr Mrazek playing incredable down in Grand Rapids right now
last 5 Games, 2.01 GAA, .931 Save%, 136/146

so lets assume Mrazek needs two more years in the AHL (he doesn't) Howard gets his 6-7 year deal. that means at minimum we have 4-5 years with both Howard and Mrazek in net. first year Mrazek as a full time backup fine second year part time backup really challenging for starting spot, third year Howard is a burden because of his cap hit.
A 4 year deal is what he deserves even if its at 5.5 million it gives us an out once he's past his prime and Mrazek is ready to be a full time starter.

also this just popped into head, what if Paterson pans out? his stats aren't great but he is the only bright spot on his team and stands on his head most of the time. in 3 years he will be 2 years into Grand Rapids. being about ready to play a part time backup role in Detroit

I'm rambling at this point. in short. the team doesn't need better goal tending it was one bad game, the rumored extension he's getting is a bad move and I wonder if he said long term or no deal. Mrazek will be in Detroit full time sooner than expected. and Paterson could be the straw on Howard's back.
you realize trading goaltenders is a thing that is allowed right?

if Mrazek pans out and we still have Howard signed for a few more years he'd actually be a decently valuable trading ship if he's still playing well

as long as the Wings don't do something stupid like give Howard a NTC on his long term deal too the situation you describe could actually be a good thing

and make no mistake,these are Goalie prospects you're talking about,at this point it's still far from guaranteed that Mrazek will ever be as good as Howard let alone better


Last edited by ricky0034: 03-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.
ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:29 AM
  #13
VM1138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
I don't recall Howard losing us any games this season. He's always solid and far less frustrating than Osgood was at times. I don't like the idea of a long-term contract, but if some of you would rather he walk, let me ask you a really basic question:

Who is available who is better? We are at a point in the NHL where almost all of the goalies are on par with each other. No one really needs to trade their goalies, so you're looking at letting him walk for nothing right now.

I like Mrazek, too, but he's still a prospect. You don't dump a reliable workhorse because you think some kid is going to be elite his first season in the league.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:37 AM
  #14
Hendricks433
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
you realize trading goaltenders is a thing that is allowed right?
Tell that to Vancouver. 6-7 years for Howard is ridiculous.

Hendricks433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
  #15
Dynheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I don't recall Howard losing us any games this season. He's always solid and far less frustrating than Osgood was at times. I don't like the idea of a long-term contract, but if some of you would rather he walk, let me ask you a really basic question:

Who is available who is better? We are at a point in the NHL where almost all of the goalies are on par with each other. No one really needs to trade their goalies, so you're looking at letting him walk for nothing right now.

I like Mrazek, too, but he's still a prospect. You don't dump a reliable workhorse because you think some kid is going to be elite his first season in the league.
I agree. He's either just there (Blue Jacket games), or he dominates. He hardly loses us games. His last two bad outings I can remember were the Blues game...team effort...Montreal last season. Other than those two? He's a mixture of just being there. To Who is that being the mask?

Other than that? I really think people for get that the defense really is bad on this team. I mean BAD (Has been since '09..and it's just getting worse each year). He's either stealing games, or giving the team a chance to win by being solid...AKA just making the saves AKA being ordinary. Stealing games for this team at this point is a miracle. I think people need to realize that. But they don't. Howard is doing a fine job.

I also don't think Howard hit his peak yet.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
  #16
Eternal Sunshine
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 26,326
vCash: 500
Howard is a fine goalie, good enough to get the job done at the very least. We need better forwards and defence.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
  #17
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Howard is the best starting goalie this team has had since Hasek. And with Mrazek in the pipes, we'll be fine for a long, long while.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
  #18
lkleung007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Howard is the best starting goalie this team has had since Hasek. And with Mrazek in the pipes, we'll be fine for a long, long while.
I am not sold on Mrazek yet...neither is Holland or he wouldn't be giving Howard $5 million for 5-6 yrs. The kid is still really young and need a couple of more years in the AHL. Stats are nice in the AHL but I don't put much value in them...just look at Gustavsson's stats in the AHL (GAA around 1.50 and Save % of 0.930).

Gustavsson is more than a capable backup...remember the monster was out for over a month and is just getting some time between the pipes...I'll rate the monster when he has had 10 or more starts. The game against the Flames was not great but it could have been worse with some of the opportunities we gave them...including the penalty shot.

lkleung007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  #19
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl
 
Kyleftlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan!
Country: United States
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Goaltenders are a hot commodity. Teams are always looking for a good starting goaltender. If Howard can EARN his 5 million dollar contract (he has to sign it first, remember guys!), and Mrazek continues his upward trend through our prospect ranks, then Detroit will have a really solid goaltender dilemma on their hands. Two hot goalies, one locked up long term and one being really young, that could be huge for Detroit. Vancouver doesn't seem to be having trouble with the Luongo/Schneider issue, although Howard isn't as good as Luongo, and if Tim Thomas can fetch a good draft pick by not even playing, Howard would be able to move for a decent package.

I think the goaltending isn't the issue. Howard is a good goaltender. He's not elite, and he isn't going to put the team on his back, but he's worth 4-5 million dollars. Maybe not for 6-7 years, but that's why Holland will have to be smart about it.

If Howard gets a NMC/NTC to go with his 7 year deal, THAT is where you start to worry.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  #20
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Goaltending has cost us 2-5 points so far this season, but the Wings will not trade for a goalie.
I would argue goaltending has EARNED us somewhere between 2-5 pts this season.

Joe put up his stats.

Howard is good.

But whether or not you agree is pretty pointless...

We are stuck with Howard and Mrazek for the next 5 years, because we just don't have the assets to trade for MORE goaltending. Unless of course we take luongo for a draft pick or something. (P.S. Luongo will cost us Nyquist or Tatar or someone else we don't want to lose, maybe we can give them filppula... but IMO our team is weaker with Luongo and without filppula vs with filpulla and howard.

Howard is good enough as a starter. I rarely blame losses on him. Much easier to say goaltending is not our biggest problem right now.

(Weak defense)
(Weak offense)

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
  #21
Jimbo7200
Registered User
 
Jimbo7200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Tim Thomas for 1-2 years than Jimmy Howard for 6-7.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
  #22
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I'd rather have Tim Thomas for 1-2 years than Jimmy Howard for 6-7.
Hell yeah, Timmy for 2 years at 2 million! Then Peter Peter Puck Eater takes over.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
  #23
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
and make no mistake,these are Goalie prospects you're talking about,at this point it's still far from guaranteed that Mrazek will ever be as good as Howard let alone better
Howard played for 4 years in Grand Rapids, from the time he was 21 til he was 25. during the time his save % hovered around .912 and his GAA around 2.65.
Petr Mrazek, in his 1st year starting at age 20 has his stats currently at .920 Save % and 2.24 GAA. from a stats stand point comparing the too at a similar stage in their careers Mrazek is better. not that being said I didn't watch Howard in GR, I do watch Mrazek and he is great. his physical tools are there and even better than that he a the perfect goalie mind set.

you are correct there are no guarantees that Mrazek will be a good or better than Howard, but there is evidence that supports my prediction that he will be better than Howard. and I really do worry that he is going to get an NMC.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  #24
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
Howard played for 4 years in Grand Rapids, from the time he was 21 til he was 25. during the time his save % hovered around .912 and his GAA around 2.65.
Petr Mrazek, in his 1st year starting at age 20 has his stats currently at .920 Save % and 2.24 GAA. from a stats stand point comparing the too at a similar stage in their careers Mrazek is better. not that being said I didn't watch Howard in GR, I do watch Mrazek and he is great. his physical tools are there and even better than that he a the perfect goalie mind set.

you are correct there are no guarantees that Mrazek will be a good or better than Howard, but there is evidence that supports my prediction that he will be better than Howard. and I really do worry that he is going to get an NMC.
Should I also imagine Mrazek is playing for a "stronger" GRG club than Howard did?
Goalies stats are not like baseball. They rely on the team, so if GRG are in first right now, and were a 3rd or 4th place team when howard was there... I would call the 0.08 difference in save% a wash.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
  #25
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
False. They need better everything.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.