HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Like with the Flyers I think there are certian guys on the Rangers(see McDonagh) who will never make it to even get to an offersheet IMO.
He is likely their no. 1 priority to resign to a long term deal.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Like with the Flyers I think there are certian guys on the Rangers(see McDonagh) who will never make it to even get to an offersheet IMO.
He is likely their no. 1 priority to resign to a long term deal.
This is the speculation thread though, right? Guys have speculated about Perry for months/years. He could very well sign long term in Anaheim tomorrow and end all that. Until he does though, it's valid to speculate. Same w/ McD.

Obviously if the Rags lock McD up, then it's a moot point and you move on to the next idea. But until that happens, I think it's fair to speculate.

Actually, I think it's extremely fair to speculate, being that a contract dispute between MDZ and the Rags this past off-season nearly caused him to miss training camp. The Rags are a lot different than the Flyers when it comes to RFAs. The Rags like to sign all their guys to bridge contracts as RFAs (low years, low $$$, still RFAs or just barely UFAs when they expire). As you can see w/ Subban, MDZ, etc. more and more NHL players are disliking the bridge contracts and are asking for long-term deals instead. That's leading to a lot of contract disputes that drag into RFA / offersheet territory.

It won't surprise me at all if McD makes it to RFA status this summer. Sather is stubborn when it comes to signing his RFAs and we could potentially use that to our advantage.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Krishna

I'll just reply indirectly to avoid a big text wall from Weekendatbernies

in the offseason, teams are allowed to go over by 10% of the cap. That makes the summer cap about 71m or so.

As long as the Bruins are at about 68.5m, they will be good once they LTIR Savard as that will push them under the 64.3m cap

And the difference between the Mcdonagh and Perry contracts is that the rangers are a cap team and can spend money to buy out a player like Richards to sign their RFAs if need be. Perry is going to be a UFA and Anaheim is not where near a cap team. Them giving 8m+ to Getzlaf really limits what they do with perry since their owners dont want to spend to the cap

Old
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

god i hope we sign sustr like now

Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

If we were to sign that goalie Hartzell, where the hell would we send him to? Trenton or Adirondack? We could use him for next year but we're pretty full with goalies for this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
god i hope we sign sustr like now
I think UNO begins a best of three series against Minnesota this weekend, meaning if they lose in 2, he can start talking to teams Monday. IIRC, their schedule is Sat/Sun/Mon(If Necessary) for their series.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I think UNO begins a best of three series against Minnesota this weekend, meaning if they lose in 2, he can start talking to teams Monday. IIRC, their schedule is Sat/Sun/Mon(If Necessary) for their series.
i want him to play tonight

Old
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If we were to sign that goalie Hartzell, where the hell would we send him to? Trenton or Adirondack? We could use him for next year but we're pretty full with goalies for this year.
I would think he would get an AHL tryout this year and a full contract next year. Munroe, Boucher, and Leighton all gone after this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I haven't heard of this Hartzell guy. Any good or just a low risk high-reward type of guy?

Old
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
FlyersMania2

Bahahaha - at Luongo.

Right now putting Luongo would be NO different than having Bryz in net

We need a better system, a solid D-man, etc

If we improve/replace our system and add a transition D-man to the team then sure Luongo MAY be successful, but so could Bryz.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I haven't heard of this Hartzell guy. Any good or just a low risk high-reward type of guy?
He was at the prospect camp and considered to be the top college UFA goalie. He is 24-4-5 this year for Quinnipiac with a 1.49 GAA and .936 sv%. Not just riding a hot year either as he has had similar numbers the past 3 seasons.

From what I read, makes those game saving saves. Saw him at the prospect camp and as we made a joke about his name (close to Hartnell) he was easily the best goalie there.

Here he made a 3 on 0 save.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He was at the prospect camp and considered to be the top college UFA goalie. He is 24-4-5 this year for Quinnipiac with a 1.49 GAA and .936 sv%. Not just riding a hot year either as he has had similar numbers the past 3 seasons.

From what I read, makes those game saving saves. Saw him at the prospect camp and as we made a joke about his name (close to Hartnell) he was easily the best goalie there.

Here he made a 3 on 0 save.

Certainly couldn't hurt, I suppose.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Certainly couldn't hurt, I suppose.
Dont know if he will be an NHL goalie but could be a good AHL. He has single handedly won his team multiple games this season.

Homer has personally scouted him this season.

Quote:
Scouts and high-ranking personnel are at every game. Just before New Year’s, close to 40 NHL representatives were in Hamden for a weekend series with Nebraska-Omaha. Among the heavy hitters was Mark Messier, special assistant to New York Rangers president Glen Sather, who sat a few feet away from Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren.
http://nhregister.com/articles/2013/...txt?viewmode=3

Old
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Dont know if he will be an NHL goalie but could be a good AHL. He has single handedly won his team multiple games this season.

Homer has personally scouted him this season.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2013/...txt?viewmode=3
Sounds good. When it comes to goaltenders and defensemen, I say sign as many as you can.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

It's going to be entertaining if we lose tonight. So many players are probably going to be thrown into the rumor mill because the significance of the game and Bryz comments about being "done".

Old
03-15-2013, 03:23 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Delete, I was wrong.

Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 03-15-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You're incorrect. A team must play their first game prior to LTIR becoming available. In order to play that first game, a team must be cap compliant. If the Bruins were to have even 64.300001M on their salary cap at the start of the first game, they're non-compliant, regardless of whether or not Savard goes to LTIR.

Please, explain to me how they get under 64.3M for their first game with Rask @ 6M. I'd like to see it.
LTIR becomes available during the first official day of the NHL season, which is not the same as the first game of the year. Krishna is right, teams can spend and get under by putting players on LTIR to start the year. It's not good for your salary cap position during the year though because you can't bank cap for the deadline.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You're incorrect. A team must play their first game prior to LTIR becoming available. In order to play that first game, a team must be cap compliant. If the Bruins were to have even 64.300001M on their salary cap at the start of the first game, they're non-compliant, regardless of whether or not Savard goes to LTIR.
Are you sure?

That's interesting. I always assumed that LTIR was available after the conclusion of training camp, or whenever it is that the 10 percent cushion expires.

Wouldn't the Flyers then have the same issue with Pronger? In other words, we can only have ~$59 million tied up in other players for opening night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
LTIR becomes available during the first official day of the NHL season, which is not the same as the first game of the year. Krishna is right, teams can spend and get under by putting players on LTIR to start the year. It's not good for your salary cap position during the year though because you can't bank cap for the deadline.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
My mistake, I misread the CBA. I just found the pertinent section and you and Krishna are correct.

I still think the Rangers / McD are an interesting offer-sheet target though.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
It's going to be entertaining if we lose tonight. So many players are probably going to be thrown into the rumor mill because the significance of the game and Bryz comments about being "done".
From this point on they need to finish 15-5 or 16-4 to get in the playoffs. Even if they beat the Devils, its not going to improve their odds much.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Larry Hoover

Couturier+ for Gardiner+

Leafs Fan here,

Was wondering what Flyers fans would think of a deal surrounding these two young studs.

Couturier+Conditional 3rd 2014 (turns into a 2nd 2014 if you re-sign Bozak)

For

Gardiner+Bozak+4th 2013

Would something like this work for your team? Still not sure about Couturier's offensieve potential. I think offensively the leafs would be downgrading, but upgrading on D.

I truly think Gardiner is a special player who will end up being a good #2, don't think he has the all around game to be a #1 but he is solid on D but an OFD.

Thoughts?

Old
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
dookie88

Couturier should only be traded in a package for a definite #1 defender.

That being said, there is no chance I'd trade our second (do we even own it?) this year just because we signed Tyler ****ing Bozak.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Couturier should only be traded in a package for a definite #1 defender.

That being said, there is no chance I'd trade our second (do we even own it?) this year just because we signed Tyler ****ing Bozak.
It would be your 2nd next year.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Leafs Fan here,

Was wondering what Flyers fans would think of a deal surrounding these two young studs.

Couturier+Conditional 3rd (turns into a 2nd if you re-sign Bozak)

For

Gardiner+Bozak+4th

Would something like this work for your team? Still not sure about Couturier's offensieve potential. I think offensively the leafs would be downgrading, but upgrading on D.

I truly think Gardiner is a special player who will end up being a good #2, don't think he has the all around game to be a #1 but he is solid on D but an OFD.

Thoughts?
Bozak doesn't really fit a need. Laughton projects as a 3C, and if he's not quite ready to fill that role, then a guy like Talbot or Read could do it next year. A 3rd (which could turn into a 2nd) is probably fair value for Bozak, but it doesn't add enough to make up for the gap between Couturier and Gardiner.

The Gardiner + for Couturier framework has some supporters around here, but even they would not be warm to Bozak as the additional piece, I think. Kulemin was a popular choice once upon a time, or perhaps an additional prospect.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Bozak doesn't really fit a need. Laughton projects as a 3C, and if he's not quite ready to fill that role, then a guy like Talbot or Read could do it next year. A 3rd (which could turn into a 2nd) is probably fair value for Bozak, but it doesn't add enough to make up for the gap between Couturier and Gardiner.

The Gardiner + for Couturier framework has some supporters around here, but even they would not be warm to Bozak as the additional piece, I think. Kulemin was a popular choice once upon a time, or perhaps an additional prospect.
I personally think Kulemin is too much to give up. Bozak would be a solid stop-gap for now so you wouldn't have to play Talbot/Read out of position. I think Laughton makes Couturier *somewhat* expendable, along with the emergence of B. Schenn who I think is better than S.C. and Giroux who, obviously, is superior.

I just thought Bozak fit nicely because then the Leafs would have Couturier, Grabovski, Kadri as their top 9C, and just that Bozak would step in to replace S.C. this year.

Maybe Leafs throw in a 2nd round pick instead of the 4th?

Gardiner+Bozak+Conditional 3rd 2013 (If the leafs make the playoffs it turns into a 2nd?)
FOR
Couturier+Conditional 4th 2014 (2nd if Bozak resigns)

How does that sound?

Closed Thread