HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Capitals have been the biggest disappointment.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby G View Post
Why not go back to Backstrom and Ovechkin together? Whose idea was it to split them up anyway?
They were together last night.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
They were together last night.
not the whole game. Winning goal was Ribero from Ovechkin.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
not the whole game. Winning goal was Ribero from Ovechkin.
Ovechkin had just jumped off the bench, Ribeiro probably hadn't changed yet.

What I want to know is how the Caps can possibly justify playing Aaron Volpatti, claimed off waivers like 5 minutes ago, at 1LW in Boston. Hey anybody still wonder why they suck?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Chukcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Not really, I had them 3rd in the SE behind Florida and Tampa before the season started.

Capitals never had a solid roster entering the season. McPhee did a very poor job of putting a 2012-13 roster together, and it shows.

I'm still not sorry Semin is gone. Good for him and his sucess in Carolina, but his time was over in Washington, he had plenty of years to prove himself but always washed out when it came to the playoffs.
i'd rather watch caps with disappeared Semin in PO than watch caps without him out of PO.

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I think a lot of people saw the Rangers decline coming. They had one elite season after years of mediocrity. I think they needed to have another excellent season to prove they were an elite team, but they seem to be regressing to their pre-2012 selves.

The caps have been spiraling downward as a franchise for a few years now. They're no surprise...they need to purge management before they get anywhere.

The flyers are a bit of a surprise, but i think it shows Schenn and Couturier are nowhere near as good as they were being hyped to be after last season. Not to mention Matt Carle is sorely missed on their blueline.
I think the Flyers are just a young team that needs time to gel. Schenn is actually having a great year compared to last year. Couturier is having an off year, but he still shuts down Malkin like a beast. And Carle is missed, but he's not the answer to their problems. I think they'd have a pretty similar record with him on the roster.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Not really, I had them 3rd in the SE behind Florida and Tampa before the season started.

Capitals never had a solid roster entering the season. McPhee did a very poor job of putting a 2012-13 roster together, and it shows.

I'm still not sorry Semin is gone. Good for him and his sucess in Carolina, but his time was over in Washington, he had plenty of years to prove himself but always washed out when it came to the playoffs.
Most accurate post. And in this short season who cares? If Caps pick top three I will ecstatic. With Forsberg and Kuz coming (after the Olympics), Holtby with seasoj under his belt, Caps retool will be like Phillies first one, very short.

And sorry, but the Rangers have been the biggest disappointment (so far).

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I think a lot of people saw the Rangers decline coming. They had one elite season after years of mediocrity. I think they needed to have another excellent season to prove they were an elite team, but they seem to be regressing to their pre-2012 selves.

The caps have been spiraling downward as a franchise for a few years now. They're no surprise...they need to purge management before they get anywhere.

The flyers are a bit of a surprise, but i think it shows Schenn and Couturier are nowhere near as good as they were being hyped to be after last season. Not to mention Matt Carle is sorely missed on their blueline.
B. Schenn has been great and comes as advertised...he is only going to get better...Couts is having a sophmore slump to be sure but he is the real deal...he will be fine....Carle I agree is missed a bit but we replaced him with Luke Schenn and that is a wash.....

Our goalie is not great to be sure and our defense is still to slow...that is what is killing us....but regardless we should not be this bad...

I say the Flyers without question are the biggest disappointment this year....followed by the Caps and Rangers......I expect much better things next year after we have a new coach and have traded for a first line defense man.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:48 PM
g00n
abides

No. This should have been expected by any Caps fan who isn't a pollyannish little kid or a blind homer. Anyone expecting the 09-10 team that dominated the league offensively will be disappointed. It's the same pattern as the last 2 seasons. Start out bad, make some emergency adjustments to somehow make the playoffs, ride some momentum through the first round, get bounced in the 2nd round.

If anything I believe the team OVERachieved last year by beating Boston and then taking NYR to 7, due mostly to Dale Hunter coming in and applying battlefield medicine, which created a situation where the shut-down defensive style allowed for superior goaltending.

Add to that the increasing health problems for many key players (Green, Backstrom, Laich, etc.), Ovechkin's decline as a force, and another new coach and it's not hard to expect a continuation of the downward trend.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
No. This should have been expected by any Caps fan who isn't a pollyannish little kid or a blind homer. Anyone expecting the 09-10 team that dominated the league offensively will be disappointed. It's the same pattern as the last 2 seasons. Start out bad, make some emergency adjustments to somehow make the playoffs, ride some momentum through the first round, get bounced in the 2nd round.

If anything I believe the team OVERachieved last year by beating Boston and then taking NYR to 7, due mostly to Dale Hunter coming in and applying battlefield medicine, which created a situation where the shut-down defensive style allowed for superior goaltending.

Add to that the increasing health problems for many key players (Green, Backstrom, Laich, etc.), Ovechkin's decline as a force, and another new coach and it's not hard to expect a continuation of the downward trend.
Is it because of different coaching styles and systems the last couple of years, or GMGM sucks, or does it start with the owner?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

It was really a matter of time for the Rangers. Going back to last year they hadn't played well since mid February and how they managed to sneak into the Eastern Conference Finals is still a mystery to me.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Swedish playmaker*

They are ****ing pathetic. Neuvirth sucks, Ovechkin and Bäckström looks like 0.5 players, Ribeiro can never shut the **** up.

Swedish playmaker* is offline   Reply With Quote