HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
They said on FM93 today that PKP told mayor Labeaume his new priority is getting the NHL team. Hence the move today.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:04 PM
sawchuk1971

again, bettman INC. has screwed another canadian city.....

i got a bad feeling that quebec's new arena will be another copps coliseum...

remember hamilton built copps to attract a NHL team? no team came.....

Old
03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
They said on FM93 today that PKP told mayor Labeaume his new priority is getting the NHL team. Hence the move today.
Pat,

In my opinion, that this conversation between PKP and LeBeaume is in the news is a bd thing for QUE. I think it is a good thing that they had the conversation, but it's bad that it has been leaked. Commissioner doesn't like anyone getting ahead of him.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
again, bettman INC. has screwed another canadian city.....

i got a bad feeling that quebec's new arena will be another copps coliseum...

remember hamilton built copps to attract a NHL team? no team came.....
Well Québec still needed a new arena. If we get the NHL then it will be great. If we dont, well Québec will still have a beautiful arena for concerts and other events.

Bettman hates Canada, he went to Winnipeg cause he had no choice. The good news is the guy will one day retire. Who knows by then what will happem.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Pat,

In my opinion, that this conversation between PKP and LeBeaume is in the news is a bd thing for QUE. I think it is a good thing that they had the conversation, but it's bad that it has been leaked. Commissioner doesn't like anyone getting ahead of him.
No its not. If asked, thye will just deny its true they said that. Us fans needed some reassuring. Its the best way to do it.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Revo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Pat,

What has been leaked? It's public knowledge that PKP would like a team back in Quebec City.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Like I said in the other thread, if realignment is a bad sign for franchise relocation, it should also be for an expansion. If you are saying, the Coyotes can not move to Quebec because there's only 14 teams in the west, you also imply that expansion will necessarily happen west of Detroit, because there's no place left in the east.

Maybe, because I'm in Quebec city, I'm delusional, so let's take Toronto instead. Would that make sense? No expansion to Markham, because there's no place left in the eastern conference. I don't think so.
toronto2 makes sense in the midwest division, perhaps moreso than in the east. That would be the leafs way of 'punishing' the team for entering their territory, and help appease detroit/buffalo/ottawa as well.

quebec makes absolutely no sense in the midwest. Quebec requires an eastern relocation (and everyone is locked into leases now) or columbus/detroit moving back west, after a decade or more of them trying to come east.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

With the news that PKP has said to mayor Labeaume he was still in charge of the Nords comeback...

I will speculate that PKP left his position with Quebecor PRECISELY because the Nords situation is a point where it requires full-time attention.

Who knows, maybe it's farther ahead than we can imagine? Phoenix is on the road so much at the end of their season that if they get eliminated from playoff contention, they could announce the move before the end of the season.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
halligan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
With the news that PKP has said to mayor Labeaume he was still in charge of the Nords comeback...

I will speculate that PKP left his position with Quebecor PRECISELY because the Nords situation is a point where it requires full-time attention.

Who knows, maybe it's farther ahead than we can imagine? Phoenix is on the road so much at the end of their season that if they get eliminated from playoff contention, they could announce the move before the end of the season.
I agree its a good sign. At this point I would think that PKP know if he is getting a team or not for next year. Today's news were probably approved by Bettman to go public. Then nothing else until he say so. Does this make sense? I may be wrong but I feel like this could be well possible.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Well Québec still needed a new arena. If we get the NHL then it will be great. If we dont, well Québec will still have a beautiful arena for concerts and other events.

Bettman hates Canada, he went to Winnipeg cause he had no choice. The good news is the guy will one day retire. Who knows by then what will happem.
Indeed, I was getting tired of seeing big bands and events like Bon Jovi avoiding Quebec only because the Colisée is outdated. Last year I think we lost at least 3-4 big shows because of that, along with every boxing events since 2010, simply because the Colisée is just terrible for shows, especially to setup the stage and bringing in their equipment.

The good thing about having an outdated arena though is that there are fewer chances to see a Justin Bieber concert in Quebec City.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Not going to be a very popular suggestion around these parts, but it seems to me that QC is not in the NHL's expansion agenda at the moment.

If Detroit and Columbus are in the east to stay "period", let's look at the other factors in the East.

There are 3 financially weak teams in the East... the Panthers, the Blue Jackets, and the Islanders. However, all 3 are locked into lease deals. Wang made sure the Islanders will stay in NY with a long lease deal in Brooklyn. The BJs have a very long lease and are likely going significantly improve financially whilst in the East. The Panthers parent company is profitable in combination with the arena profits and they don't seem shy about spending on players, which indicates an ownership group that is comfortable where they're at. Not to mention south FL is a massive TV market the NHL would be loathe to lose.

So if DET and CBJ are "not" going back West, and FLA, CBJ, and NYI are not candidates for relo, there aren't any real openings in the east, unless you did something wild trying to shove TBL and FLA into a southeast division, which seems unlikely at this time.

Given this current layout and also the NHL's past behavior, it seems the NHL's eyes are focused West and to large untapped US markets. The asking price for Phoenix may be cheap enough for a KC ownership group, and Seattle and Houston are both very obvious expansion choices, with Portland and Las Vegas as dark horses.

QC and/or T2 are going to have to bid crazy hard for an expansion slot, and even then that may not get the job done if they're just not in the NHL's long term plans. A shame as I'd like to see the Nords again. Looks like they may be the "long term plan" if an East team fails instead. Perhaps a wise choice long term for the NHL to keep their options open with a couple East markets that could be question marks long term, but sucks in the short term for QC folks.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
Not going to be a very popular suggestion around these parts, but it seems to me that QC is not in the NHL's expansion agenda at the moment.

If Detroit and Columbus are in the east to stay "period", let's look at the other factors in the East.

There are 3 financially weak teams in the East... the Panthers, the Blue Jackets, and the Islanders. However, all 3 are locked into lease deals. Wang made sure the Islanders will stay in NY with a long lease deal in Brooklyn. The BJs have a very long lease and are likely going significantly improve financially whilst in the East. The Panthers parent company is profitable in combination with the arena profits and they don't seem shy about spending on players, which indicates an ownership group that is comfortable where they're at. Not to mention south FL is a massive TV market the NHL would be loathe to lose.

So if DET and CBJ are "not" going back West, and FLA, CBJ, and NYI are not candidates for relo, there aren't any real openings in the east, unless you did something wild trying to shove TBL and FLA into a southeast division, which seems unlikely at this time.

Given this current layout and also the NHL's past behavior, it seems the NHL's eyes are focused West and to large untapped US markets. The asking price for Phoenix may be cheap enough for a KC ownership group, and Seattle and Houston are both very obvious expansion choices, with Portland and Las Vegas as dark horses.

QC and/or T2 are going to have to bid crazy hard for an expansion slot, and even then that may not get the job done if they're just not in the NHL's long term plans. A shame as I'd like to see the Nords again. Looks like they may be the "long term plan" if an East team fails instead. Perhaps a wise choice long term for the NHL to keep their options open with a couple East markets that could be question marks long term, but sucks in the short term for QC folks.
As long an opinion comes with some sort of rational explanation, it's always fine.

In the case of the Coyotes, unless something really unexpected happens (and you never know with them...), I guess the only solution is a move to Qc city.

I am 100% sure those folks in Sea will not accept the Key arena 2 years losses, which PKP is probably ready to take in the old Colisee, and this is, if the league goes there before a single shovel is in the ground.

Who knows what environnemental matters could come out? They can garantee no legal hurdles will come up? To state Qc city is only 1 year ahead Sea in the building process is very very optimistic and close to wishful thinking.

Who says you won't see one of those three teams you mentionned go bankrupt, freeing them for any lease obligations? We dunno.

Let's see what happens in may.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
I am 100% sure those folks in Sea will not accept the Key arena 2 years losses
actually, it would be 3 years in the Key

Old
03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
buff

Quote:

Okay We need a new arena... but.. not a arena we can't afford!! I would prefer an arena like the MTS Centre in Winnipeg with a capacity of 15 000. 175 million in 2013 dollars vs 400+ M ! And all here know at the end of this project the ammount will be close to Billion !

One more time... We (the quebecois) drive a project only by emotions!

Winnipeg did the right thing! And now they have the Jets back.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:11 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:

I am 100% sure those folks in Sea will not accept the Key arena 2 years losses, which PKP is probably ready to take in the old Colisee, and this is, if the league goes there before a single shovel is in the ground.
Who are 'those folks' that you are referring to? There are not any names out there as prospective buyers, other than Hansen as a possible minority owner, in Seattle so I wonder how you can be 100 per cent sure they will not be prepared for three years at The Key?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Who are 'those folks' that you are referring to? There are not any names out there as prospective buyers, other than Hansen as a possible minority owner, in Seattle so I wonder how you can be 100 per cent sure they will not be prepared for three years at The Key?
You're right.

I should modify the sentente and add ..." if there are "....

But, honestly, you're talking big bucks. They, he if they or he lives, want to loose 60 to 80M instead of buying a 250M expansion franchise in an ordered fashion? "Their" or "his" choice.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Revo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Okay We need a new arena... but.. not a arena we can't afford!! I would prefer an arena like the MTS Centre in Winnipeg with a capacity of 15 000. 175 million in 2013 dollars vs 400+ M ! And all here know at the end of this project the ammount will be close to Billion !

By the way, a question I have about Seattle, to whoever can answer: Is a NBA team confirmed to move there?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-15-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Ease up on the mocking please
Old
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
You're right.

I should modify the sentente and add ..." if there are "....

But, honestly, you're talking big bucks. They, he if they or he lives, want to loose 60 to 80M instead of buying a 250M expansion franchise in an ordered fashion? "Their" or "his" choice.
Agreed on that point. I pretty much assumed that the Coyotes where destined for QC and that Seattle would get in via expansion in a couple years (I still think that is most likely). The only thing that has changed my opinion on that a liittle is this new realignment. Makes me think that it is 'possible' that Seattle could get the Yotes.

Either way I truly hope QC gets the team they obviously deserve!!

Old
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Matrix78

Quote:

You are 2 years late for this debate,
the construction is started, can you move on ?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
buff

I mooved on!! The Nordiques are death...

I'm 33 years old. I'm live in Québec city since 2000... I have a house since 4 years now in Loretteville so I pay tax. I was born in Alma Lac-St-jean as a big big Nordiques fan... But now they gone!!! And you know why they leave the beautifull "vielle capitale" ?? Because that team sucked big time... They was a joke ! And I remember the day of Marcel Aubut sale annoucement to a group from Denver Colorado ... And Poeple, the fans, me Did'nt care anymore!! "Go away !! Millionaires players bla bla bla!!".

Since i'm a Philadelphia Flyers fan and proud to be. I have NHL Center ICE to Watch all their game in HD.... I go see him play in Montréal or Ottawa when they come. And man... I don't want the Nordiques back... I MOOVED ON!!!

Old
03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Matrix78

Quote:

I'm 33 years old. I'm live in Québec city since 2000... I have a house since 4 years now in Loretteville so I pay tax. I was born in Alma Lac-St-jean as a big big Nordiques fan... But now they gone!!! And you know why they leave the beautifull "vielle capitale" ?? Because that team sucked big time... They was a joke ! And I remember the day of Marcel Aubut sale annoucement to a group from Denver Colorado ... And Poeple, the fans, me Did'nt care anymore!! "Go away !! Millionaires players bla bla bla!!".

Since i'm a Philadelphia Flyers fan and proud to be. I have NHL Center ICE to Watch all their game in HD.... I go see him play in Montréal or Ottawa when they come. And man... I don't want the Nordiques back... I MOOVED ON!!!

uh, We were talking about the arena

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-15-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ease up on the personal aspect please
Old
03-15-2013, 12:04 PM
buff

we're talking about moving on

Old
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:

A Flyer fan AND a guy that doesn't want to see the Nords back?

Old
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Shawa666

Quote:

Traitor.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I think QC was the plan right up until Seattle became a viable option. The 2011 plan was set up to allow a move to PQ, this one seems like it's geared toward Seattle exclusively.
I doubt it we Quebecers have a nasty tempers with that kind of bait and switch. PKP might just say "Garry I put 41 more Star Academie shows in the new arena before I buy at a premium a piece of paper that say I own 23 reject from the rest of the league." Unless Quebecor is in on the switch I doubt this is going down this way. My bet is Columbus or Detroit will not be moving east if the Yotes get moved to QC. My money on Columbus because they really don't have the influence that Detroit does. The BoG likely already aproved an alternative realignement they just can't and won't admit it publicly. This realignement is fictional until the end of the current season and I bet they reserve the right to change it at the last minute in case of an "Emergency".

Closed Thread