HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mikhail Grigorenko assigned to Quebec (QMJHL)

Old
03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

vCash: 500
Yeah, I actually thought he should have stayed up after his 5 games..he didn't look that out of place and I figured he'd get better as he got more comfortable.

Once he started becoming a scratch, he should have been sent down.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
This was one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. Recall to the talk after his 5th game, everyone (fans) was saying he should stay, Bucky and Sully wrote their aticles about how Regier would be dumb to send him back down, etc. If he sent him own, all you would've heard is how Regier needs to be fired. There's just no way for him to win.
I am pretty sure most wanted him sent back down on these forums. I don't read anything Bucky or Sully write as they are nearly always wrong.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
This was one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. Recall to the talk after his 5th game, everyone (fans) was saying he should stay, Bucky and Sully wrote their aticles about how Regier would be dumb to send him back down, etc. If he sent him own, all you would've heard is how Regier needs to be fired. There's just no way for him to win.
Pretty much. Especially as SCJI pointed out, it doesn't count as a year of accrued service in terms of free agency, so in effect it only costs the Sabres some money.

Worth it to give him SOME NHL experience if you can afford it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Mikhail Grigorenko averaged a point in every 42 minutes of ice time this season.

Terrible, he's the worst player ever.

anyone want to figure out how much worse that is than incredible players like Stafford or Gerbe?

Perception isn't always reality.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am pretty sure most wanted him sent back down on these forums. I don't read anything Bucky or Sully write as they are nearly always wrong.
Nope, the majority wanted him to stay up.

It's our job as fans though to get overly excited for top prospects like Grigorenko though.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I don't like this move because it tells me the Sabres are trying to win games.
I don't read it that way at all. While he was struggling he has more talent than anyone that is going to replace him in the lineup. I think they realized they are in disarray this year and dont want him to be a part of this disaster. Cant properly develop and learn when the whole team, including your vets, are a mental wreck.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Darcy Regier meeting with the media to discuss it now, but it doesn't appear any of the usual suspects talking about whatever Darcy is saying. Are they not even there?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Vito_81

People really need to chill the F out about the whole "burning a year of his ELC". Based on his season this year, and the fact he's destined to at least start next season in the AHL. His next contract won't be a killer, so the whole idea of being angry about burning a cheap contract year isn't a big deal.

Giving him the tryout to start the season was the right move.

Giving him a shot to play in the NHL all season wasn't a terrible idea at the time.

Sure in retrospect he was better off being sent back, but I don't really see the harm in having him play 20 some odd NHL games. He'll be better for it.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Quite clear the coaches weren't going to play him. Just hope this doesn't turn him into Luke Adam v2, ie, a complete mental wreck with shot confidence because he doesn't understand what he did wrong.
If he is a mental wreck like Adam then he has no future in the NHL as an impact player anyways.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
sweet mismanagement.

pegula should fire him for this alone, let alone all the other issues
I assume you mean DR. Pegula can't be fired. He is the owner and a really good one at that.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
People really need to chill the F out about the whole "burning a year of his ELC". Based on his season this year, and the fact he's destined to at least start next season in the AHL. His next contract won't be a killer, so the whole idea of being angry about burning a cheap contract year isn't a big deal.

Giving him the tryout to start the season was the right move.

Giving him a shot to play in the NHL all season wasn't a terrible idea at the time.

Sure in retrospect he was better off being sent back, but I don't really see the harm in having him play 20 some odd NHL games. He'll be better for it.
Grig's won't be eligible to start in the AHL next season, so he's likely to play another full season in the Q and then start the year out in the AHL for the 2014-2015 season, so yeah, I'm not worried about burning a year of his ELC.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I'd be greatly surprised if he's not back in the lineup come October.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
I assume you mean DR. Pegula can't be fired. He is the owner and a really good one at that.
"Pegula should fire him."

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:23 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Check out the original Grigs thread. Do you remember making these posts:

Quote:
Wow that PP1 looks incredible. I would love to see that. You have 2 playmaking centers in Grigs and CoHo. Snipers in Pommers and Vanek and that shot from the point of Ehrhoff. I LOVE it.
and after he was benched:

Quote:
A perfect opportunity to instill some confidence in Grigs and he benches him? Especially with Bogo coming back from injury and Enstrom out? I cannot believe what goes through his head to come to these conclusions.
Tons of posts just like yours in the Grigs thread. Yeah there were some people like me who said to send him down, but the majority wanted to see him play, were excited when he made the team, and upset when he got benched or his ice time cut short.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
I'm not necessarily against Grigo being sent back to the Q, as I think it's better for his development to play lots of ice time.

BUT, this move tells me that Darcy and Co. think that we're still in things and are going for the playoffs this year. Why on earth wouldn't they demote Porter (no, he's not getting claimed) and play Grigo in his place? Why didn't they give Grigorenko better linemates?

To me, it all points to trying to make the playoffs this year --- which is going to do nothing but further the mediocrity.

Either play Grigorenko more minutes with better linemates (FFS, plugging him right into Ennis' spot made sense to me while Tyler is hurt....just to see what Grigs has)..............or demote him.

Sabres chose to demote him.

Again -- I'm not displeased with the demotion, I'm displeased with what I think the move is saying.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I don't like this move because it tells me the Sabres are trying to win games.
By playing Leino??? Not sure about that...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:28 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quotes :

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BuffaloSabres
"This is driven by what is best for Mikhail and his career" - Regier on assigning Grigorenko to Quebec (QMJHL).
Quote:
Originally Posted by @BuffNewsVogl
Sabres GM Darcy Regier on trades: "I'm not in a blow-it-up mind-set."
Sabres GM Darcy Regier on Mikhail Grigorenko experiment: "I think this has been a very good thing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by @BillHoppeNHL
#Sabres Regier: "We’ve been talking about this a while. This is an opportunity for him to keep growing building on his experience here."

Old
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Not listening to complete morons about hockey decisions should be the start...

Also, I'm curious whose call this actually was. Keep in mind, way back when Ennis was called up for a game in Philly, it was revealed that Lindy was the one making that kind of decision most of the time (Darcy stepped in and said "call up Tyler," or so the story I can't find now goes. Thanks google).

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Hockey Heaven!

I'm sure FA's will be pounding down the door to come play for a well run hockey powerhouse like Buffalo.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Check out the original Grigs thread. Do you remember making these posts:

and after he was benched:

Tons of posts just like yours in the Grigs thread. Yeah there were some people like me who said to send him down, but the majority wanted to see him play, were excited when he made the team, and upset when he got benched or his ice time cut short.
Yes I remember making those posts, but I also do remember what the majority of these boards thought in what they saw with Grigs including me. Flashes of brilliance for a shift or two (which I posted) than complete failures at other times. He just does not have the speed necessary to keep up with NHL level players (Similar to CoHo before his training) I might have been swayed more than others as I met him in person at the draft in Pittsburgh and when Buffalo got him I was so happy it wasn't even funny. But I definitely thought he would of been better off in the Q. In regards to that 2nd post I was going to that game and wanted to see Grigs play and the Jets were decimated so was hoping he would be giving the opportunity for sheltered PP time to instill confidence. Those posts prove nothing really...Everyone wanted him back to the Q at game 5...But since he was here everyone wanted him to succeed since we already wasted a year on his ELC. (Can't go back in time...)

Last edited by McTankel: 03-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.
McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:33 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I'm not necessarily against Grigo being sent back to the Q, as I think it's better for his development to play lots of ice time.

BUT, this move tells me that Darcy and Co. think that we're still in things and are going for the playoffs this year. Why on earth wouldn't they demote Porter (no, he's not getting claimed) and play Grigo in his place? Why didn't they give Grigorenko better linemates?

To me, it all points to trying to make the playoffs this year --- which is going to do nothing but further the mediocrity.

Either play Grigorenko more minutes with better linemates (FFS, plugging him right into Ennis' spot made sense to me while Tyler is hurt....just to see what Grigs has)..............or demote him.

Sabres chose to demote him.

Again -- I'm not displeased with the demotion, I'm displeased with what I think the move is saying.
What does him playing with better linemates have anything to do with his game other than the number of points he gets? It doesn't matter who your wingers are if you don't do what you need to do. He never got remotely physical. And I don't mean body checks, I mean simple things like tying up bodies and digging pucks out of corners. He often floats in low scoring areas. He doesn't go after pucks and waits till they come to him. He seems to have lost a step after his initial tryout. Who his wingers are is a red herring. His own game wasn't cutting it.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Audio from press conference:
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=16&iid=41998

Old
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
What does him playing with better linemates have anything to do with his game other than the number of points he gets? It doesn't matter who your wingers are if you don't do what you need to do. He never got remotely physical. And I don't mean body checks, I mean simple things like tying up bodies and digging pucks out of corners. He often floats in low scoring areas. He doesn't go after pucks and waits till they come to him. He seems to have lost a step after his initial tryout. Who his wingers are is a red herring. His own game wasn't cutting it.
The way I see it, a guy like Grigs needs the puck. He seemed to be in the right areas most of the time, but his linemates couldn't really get him the puck.

He had his best stretch with Hecht and Stafford -- both guys with some skill who know where and who to get the puck to.

Agreed that he still has things to work on, but he was done no favors by having to play with Scott/Kaleta/Gerbe/etc.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
You can't surround an 18 year old kid with players who are unable to maintain positional discipline, give an inconsistent effort, and expect him to develop. The coach is gone, the veteran core may be gone by the trade deadline, and the GM could follow. I'm sure no one expected that after 6 games. Grigorenko isn't going to be helped by exposing him to all that crap. I'm sure Rolston realized it right away.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Shoey
Hello.

A lot of people view hockey as a results based business, so let me present the following:

atoi per point this year (lower number being better):

Marcus Foligno - 36.45
Steve Ott - 37.3
Mikhail Grigorenko - 42.8
Drew Stafford - 49.88
Jochen Hecht - 52.28
Nathan Gerbe - 56.4

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote