HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Boyle

Old
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He has been pretty uninspired and slow this season.

When he's on his game, he's a hard-nosed 3rd line center that will chip in with about 10 goals, but he's been struggling all year. I don't know if it's because of the lockout and his lack of conditioning, or if he's just not putting in the effort - either way, he has been ghastly this year, coming from one of his biggest supporters over the past 3 seasons.

Rangers fans have gotten on him heavily, and rightly so. Honestly, though, I don't think I'd trade him at this point. If I were the Rangers, I'd keep him on the 4th line, give him the summer to try and get into better shape, and give him one more chance, because, if he does start playing like he is capable of, the Rangers will have great depth at center moving forward. He's still only 28 years old.
Yeah, I mean your user tag used to be Brian Boyle, enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Would have to be Ryan Jones coming back.
Fair proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Eager for Boyle.
Would have to be + on eager, but I do like Ben Eager.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
junyab

I'd take Boyle (to MTL) in a heartbeat.

I feel Montreal's only weakness up front is the 4th line centre position. I think he'd a be a huge upgrade to plunk between Armstrong and Moen. Size, faceoff ability, hits, PK.

What kind of draft pick would be needed to make that happen?

junyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:32 AM
junyab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
He's not being moved for a third round and a decent prospect.

Are you serious? Is that what 4th liners are worth in NYC? Holy eff that's ludicrous.

junyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
I'd take Boyle (to MTL) in a heartbeat.

I feel Montreal's only weakness up front is the 4th line centre position. I think he'd a be a huge upgrade to plunk between Armstrong and Moen. Size, faceoff ability, hits, PK.

What kind of draft pick would be needed to make that happen?
Quote:
Are you serious? Is that what 4th liners are worth in NYC? Holy eff that's ludicrous.
Boyle was arguably more effective last year than Prust. Just saying.

Probably looking at a 2nd + later pick like a 4th or 5th

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
You are in the Boyle's value thread and other teams are making offers, go read them.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Moen/White/Armstrong + 3rd (Montreal's) for Boyle

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Would a player like Lee Stempniak be fair? Very different types of players to be sure. I haven't seen a ton of Rangers games this year, but boxscores look like scoring is an issue. Stempniak's line is 25 GP 7 Goals 11 Assists and a +6. He's our third best defensive forward (I realize that is not saying much) behind Backlund and Glencross. His pace for a full season is 23 goals 59 points and +20. He's not at all physical, but he does everything else well. The Flames have a definite need for some size and a natural centerman since Backlund and Stajan are the only two on the active roster. He's signed to the end of next year at a reasonable 2.5 million dollar hit. He is streaky, but doesn't hurt you defensively when the well goes dry.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
jeromeo87

McBain+Nodl for Boyle+Eminger

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
McBain+Nodl for Boyle+Eminger
McBain + 3rd for Boyle + Eminger

The Rangers whole game plan is to accrue every 3rd rounder this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

Ranger will be looking for players to help now.

To Rangers:

Clarke MacArthur. Winger to help them score.

To Maple Leafs:

Boyle. Center to give them additional size down the middle and be an upgrade over Steckel.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Ranger will be looking for players to help now.

To Rangers:

Clarke MacArthur. Winger to help them score.

To Maple Leafs:

Boyle. Center to give them additional size down the middle and be an upgrade over Steckel.
The Rangers would be looking for a player who can help now AND in the future. Not MacArthur

Old
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers would be looking for a player who can help now AND in the future. Not MacArthur
Boyle on his own won't return anything great though.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Boyle on his own won't return anything great though.
Then a decent prospect + pick would be fine. Why take on a UFA to be? Then they pretty much lose Boyle for nothing.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Then a decent prospect + pick would be fine. Why take on a UFA to be? Then they pretty much lose Boyle for nothing.
Even though your team is underperforming at the moment they're built to win right now with Gaborik, Nash, Richards, Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi all in their primes.

In a few short seasons that window is probably gone.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Even though your team is underperforming at the moment they're built to win right now with Gaborik, Nash, Richards, Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi all in their primes.

Nash is 28. Hank is 30. Girardi is 28. Callahan is 27. The team is not that old. Stepan, McDonagh, MDZ, Hagelin, Miller, Staal all well under 30.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:59 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:

Not true, at all.

We have a lot of good guys in our system too.

Kreider
Miller
Thomas
McIlrath

All of which should be in the NHL at some point or another.

A lot of our core is also very young. Hagelin (24), Stepan (21/22), Del Zotto (22), Mcdonagh (23), Staal (26).

Even the guys you mentioned aren't old. Callahan (27), Nash (28), Girardi (28). Richards, Lundqvist & Gaborik are the only core pieces that are 30+.

The Rangers are sucking right now. There's no question about it. But there future looks brighter than ever. We have some very high end players in the system and we have quite a few core pieces who are VERY young.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Not true, at all.

We have a lot of good guys in our system too.

Kreider
Miller
Thomas
McIlrath

All of which should be in the NHL at some point or another.

A lot of our core is also very young. Hagelin (24), Stepan (21/22), Del Zotto (22), Mcdonagh (23), Staal (26).

Even the guys you mentioned aren't old. Callahan (27), Nash (28), Girardi (28). Richards, Lundqvist & Gaborik are the only core pieces that are 30+.

The Rangers are sucking right now. There's no question about it. But there future looks brighter than ever. We have some very high end players in the system and we have quite a few core pieces who are VERY young.
Your future does look good but I don't think a few seasons down the road they won't be quite as good.

I see the prime window to win for your team with good young guys still on cheap contracts and very high end talent in their primes being this season, next season and maybe the next season (which is a fairly big window in today's NHL).

After that it gets dicey because your young players will all start needing salary increases, Richards, Lundqvist, Gaborik will slowly see their play decline. Callahan plays a style that will lead to him aging a lot quicker then other players.

Your team also only has a good but not great prospect pool and is down a 1st rounder this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
esidebill

Boyle, in an ideal situation, is a big body with some good defensive skills who can create opportunities, give a physical presence and draw penalties. He's a good face off winner. Unfortunately, he's often soft and a little lost on the ice.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Your future does look good but I don't think a few seasons down the road they won't be quite as good.

I see the prime window to win for your team with good young guys still on cheap contracts and very high end talent in their primes being this season, next season and maybe the next season (which is a fairly big window in today's NHL).

After that it gets dicey because your young players will all start needing salary increases, Richards, Lundqvist, Gaborik will slowly see their play decline. Callahan plays a style that will lead to him aging a lot quicker then other players.

Your team also only has a good but not great prospect pool and is down a 1st rounder this year.
Our D is stacked. Gaborik will be gone and that salary will go towards either keeping our up and comers or towards another high end player.

Kreider will be a top 6 forward. Miller will be at the very least a 3rd line center. Stepan is already a 2nd line center with potential to be a first. We're talking about kids here.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:

Doesn't that apply to ...like every team in any freaking sport?

Old
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
dethomas07

i agree, rangers are built to win now, especially with the acquisition for nash proves that, however we still have a young young group of core guys, and good amount waiting to get their shot...

boyle to me is a keeper.. he plays hard, great pk, f/o man, awesome defensively and brings great size and physical play to the bottom 6.. he's the perfect 4th line center, but works ok on 3rd line depending on who his wingers are.. His wingers are rough.. Pyatt is slow, doesn't bring what the Rangers need in bottom 6, and on the otherside he plays with a rookie, Miller who shows great poise with the puck, but still young to be counted on for huge contributions..I see value with him, but i think hes a valuable piece moving fw for the rangers..

someone though please explain what a 3c should be? should they be more defensively and shut down or happy median with d and offense?

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Our D is stacked. Gaborik will be gone and that salary will go towards either keeping our up and comers or towards another high end player.

Kreider will be a top 6 forward. Miller will be at the very least a 3rd line center. Stepan is already a 2nd line center with potential to be a first. We're talking about kids here.
Lundqvist is the key guy for your entire team and is 31. Odds are his play slowly declines in the next few seasons.

Richards at 32 is already showing signs of his play declining. His contract has a good chance of being a cap albatross in 3 or 4 seasons and the Rangers can't buy him out/bury him in the minors like they use to do with bad contracts.

McDonagh/Stepan/Hagelin will all want big raises after this season.

After next season a lot of your team is due to be UFAs and will command the same or more on their contracts.

What is wrong with saying your teams a contender right now but will probably regress a few years from now?

To give a comparison Vancouver started being a true contender a few years ago but are looking like they're on the decline because of age to their top 5-7 players (Sedins slowly losing a bit) and players who were once cheap needing salary increases like Edler/Burrows.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Doesn't that apply to ...like every team in any freaking sport?
With your team your top end salaries are all earning their salaries. Down the road Richards probably won't.

No guarantee the next wave of incoming prospects picks will be as good as Del Zotto, Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh especially when your already missing your 1st this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
With your team your top end salaries are all earning their salaries. Down the road Richards probably won't.

No guarantee the next wave of incoming prospects picks will be as good as Del Zotto, Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh especially when your already missing your 1st this year.
We don't have a first this year because we have Nash, I take that trade every single time.
I'll trade you 2014 first for another top 6 player in his mid 20's with a reasonable contract. You got one?
Potential is overrated.

When you find somebody who can guarantee the future let us know. Everybody, in sports or elsewhere, including wall street, is looking for him.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
We don't have a first this year because we have Nash, I take that trade every single time.
I'll trade you 2014 first for another top 6 player in his mid 20's with a reasonable contract. You got one?
Potential is overrated.

When you find somebody who can guarantee the future let us know. Everybody, in sports or elsewhere, including wall street, is looking for him.
I'd also do that trade every single time.

I wasn't criticizing the trade but you also have to recognize that giving up a 1st means you aren't building to win 5+ years out.