HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Salo

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Salo

LATE HITS: Tommy Salo's back seized up while he was sitting on the bench so he spent the final two periods in the dressing room.

Any idea how serious Salo's injury is. Is there going to have to be a goaltender called up. Does Salo end up back on IR?

12-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Shizuka

There is a good article in the Journal today about Salo:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...D-2B4E7D536956

There are, indeed, some personal issues that are making things difficult for Salo off-ice. I personally don't want to speculate, as I still think a player's personal life should be respected. The slant seems to be that his time is drawing to a close after this season though. I don't think he will go on IR, but if it has to be that way then Valiquette will get the call from Toronto.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:06 PM
gretzky2kurri

This quote of Salos says enough,

"I think they want to see Conks, see how he plays, what he can do," said Salo. "I'm in the last year of my contract. Their eyes are on Conklin."

It seems like he's already gone in his own mind.

With his personal problems, age, injuries and these comments, I'm not expecting a ressurection anymore.

Soon the book will be closed.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:17 PM
MrMackey

I had read or heard a rumour about Salo's wife leaving him and going back to Sweden. Although it was obviously possible, I never really thought it was true until I read that article.

I think Conklin deserves to play, but you've really got to feel for Salo. He seems like a pretty good guy and he's had it pretty rough since that Belarus goal.

On the other hand, I could live with it if I was making $4M a year.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I had read or heard a rumour about Salo's wife leaving him and going back to Sweden. Although it was obviously possible, I never really thought it was true until I read that article.

I think Conklin deserves to play, but you've really got to feel for Salo. He seems like a pretty good guy and he's had it pretty rough since that Belarus goal.

On the other hand, I could live with it if I was making $4M a year.
The Swedish media sure didn't help either. They made a stamp of Salo being pelted by hockey pucks. Is that any way to treat a human being? Salo and Sundin were blamed the most for the loss to Belarus. It's unfair. There was an article about Salo and Hedberg said that Salo's family was ridiculed. There was no need for the Swedish media to portray Salo as being at fault for the loss to Belarus. If the players had played better, it would never have gotten this far. Sweden shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Old
12-22-2003, 11:38 AM
SerbianEagle

I feel sorry for Tommy. I've been critical of him, however he did provide this team 3 solid years of goaltending . He was blamed by the fans for each of the playoff loses to Dallas, when in fact the whole team should have been blamed. Nice to see him being a pro about this.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:57 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
I feel sorry for Salo, he seems like those classy players. He's my fav Oil player and I hope he magically takes a paycut to be a backup/rotating starter. But i could see him going back to Sweden.

Closed Thread