HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 09:56 PM
SilverSeven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post

The hipster is strong in this one!
HAH! This is especially funny because most are complaining that Osheage is too mainstream.

But yeah, hipster I am not.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
Osheaga has 20 more bands to announce. The lineup will get even stronger, I'm sure.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:04 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
If you haven't heard of the band or musician, then they are devoid of talent. It's one thing to say that some of the music doesn't appeal to a person, but it's completely asinine to say many of the acts are devoid of talent without backing up the statement.

Bluesfest and Osheaga are two different types of festivals. One is a 10-day event that is catering to a much wider audience, so there will be different genres and acts playing. Another is a three-day festival that caters mostly to the 13 to 30 age group, although the additions New Order and The Cure are evidence that Osheaga is trying to reach an older age bracket. Osheaga, however, is much more focused on mainstream, pop-rock music (the Hot 89.9 and Live 88.5 crowds) than Bluesfest is.
Its also possible to be familiar with an act and not believe they are anything more than a rehash of a sound that has been done 100 times before.

Osheaga definitely is a Live 88.5 playlist, but I would say Bluesfest tends to fit Hot 89.9 much more.

Bluesfest was at its best when it ignored younger crowds IMO. Bring back more stuff like Joe Cocker, Stone Temple Pilots, Brian Wilson, hell even Kiss who at least put on a unique show. They have at least deviated from Sam Roberts and Metric this year though. That was getting a little overdone!

Either way, if GBS is there I will be there. Also looking forward to Balkan Beat Box, Rush (still havent seen them...), the hip, Weezer...maybe Tegan and Sara or Mother Mother if they fall on a day I am going.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

Many of the Osheaga headliners have found mainstream success, some more deservedly than others (go away, Lumineers).

But below that, they are featuring some of the most critically acclaimed new acts in music today.

I can't imagine Live would ever play Death Grips.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senscore View Post
Many of the Osheaga headliners have found mainstream success, some more deservedly than others (go away, Lumineers).

But below that, they are featuring some of the most critically acclaimed new acts in music today.

I can't imagine Live would ever play Death Grips.
The Lumineers are great, but I feel like a lot of people who like the band just like them "because" or for their one big commercial song. I absolutely loathe Mumford & Sons.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroFTW View Post
The Lumineers are great, but I feel like a lot of people who like the band just like them "because" or for their one big commercial song. I absolutely loathe Mumford & Sons.
Because they got overplayed, or because you hate mandolins?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

I hate both the Lumineers and Mumford.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
This!

It's unhealthy the amount of times they play "I will wait" on satellite radio.. I honestly like Mumford but I cringe everytime I hear that song, it's beyond ridiculous...

Same thing that happened with Paralyzer by Finger Eleven... The Bear completely ruined that song for me..

Smash88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:32 AM
H2O

Quote:
Personally for me, it's because their second album is just more of the same of the first album, yet inferior imo.

H2O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Its also possible to be familiar with an act and not believe they are anything more than a rehash of a sound that has been done 100 times before.

Osheaga definitely is a Live 88.5 playlist, but I would say Bluesfest tends to fit Hot 89.9 much more.

Bluesfest was at its best when it ignored younger crowds IMO. Bring back more stuff like Joe Cocker, Stone Temple Pilots, Brian Wilson, hell even Kiss who at least put on a unique show. They have at least deviated from Sam Roberts and Metric this year though. That was getting a little overdone!

Either way, if GBS is there I will be there. Also looking forward to Balkan Beat Box, Rush (still havent seen them...), the hip, Weezer...maybe Tegan and Sara or Mother Mother if they fall on a day I am going.
I think this year's Bluesfest lineup is much stronger compared to last year, and I think overall it's actually quite good with a good balance of mainstream, indie, newer, and older acts. I'm, too, am glad that bands like Sam Roberts and Metric aren't come, but then again there are still several opening slots on the programme.

There are some bands I don't care for (Great Big Sea being one of them), but there are other acts that really interest. The first Saturday, in particular, if fantastic IMO (Belle & Sebastian, Sharon Van Etten, Neko Case, Justin Townes Earle, Fitz and the Tantrums, Amadou & Miriam).

But we all have our own musical tastes. To each their own.

I also don't think it's fair to compare Bluesfest with Osheaga - just two different festivals with different clientele. Each will bring in artists that are "unique and relevant", but it depends on what you listen to and what you like. The one thing that Bluesfest does better than Osheaga IMO is bringing in foreign artists and showcasing local acts. Bluesfest has also done well in bringing in emerging indie acts, like Bear in Heaven, P.S. I Love You, etc., and Bluesfest brought in acts like the Black Keys before they became big.

On the Lumineers, their album is pretty good. The song on the radio, though, is annoying and not even their best track.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Phase 1 of Escapade music festival is being announced throughout the day.

Legend of Electronic music, Benny Benassi has been announced as well as Bingo Players.

Rumours are that the festival will take place at Hogs back park.

More info to come as it is released.

EDIT: Marcus Schulz as well as swedish duo AN21 & Max Vangeli added to the lineup.

Last edited by mat_sens: 03-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I've actually heard of one of the handful of artists they've announced for Escapade.

I'm quite amazed at that fact.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
I've actually heard of one of the handful of artists they've announced for Escapade.

I'm quite amazed at that fact.
Benassi? Lol

Also added Krewella, Rusko and chus & ceballo

Old
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Andy C in May, huge name if you like dnb

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Upgrayedd

Quick question, being serious here and not trying to offend as we all enjoy different styles but what does one do at an electric dance/techno/dubstep show? Do you watch the guy press buttons or "spin" or is there a lightshow, is it like a dance? Guessing drugs/drinking need to be involved? Don't get me wrong i listen to the stuff once and ahwile during a workout because i like the tempo's but im confused by the whole elctronic concert thing. Ive always personally gone to concerts to see the artists play their instruments/sing live etc...how does one do this when the music is produced by a computer?

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Margaret Trudeau*

you watch the guy fiddle with knobs. It's pretty stupid. Sometimes he will have accompaniment like a big screen behind him or girls on stage.

I caught a bit of skrillex and it was dumb and I've also seen girl talk which was much better but also similar to watching a dj at a club/bar.

On the other hand if you get to see Grimes, she mixes, sings, plays keyboard, all infront of you. That is pretty cool.

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Quick question, being serious here and not trying to offend as we all enjoy different styles but what does one do at an electric dance/techno/dubstep show? Do you watch the guy press buttons or "spin" or is there a lightshow, is it like a dance? Guessing drugs/drinking need to be involved? Don't get me wrong i listen to the stuff once and ahwile during a workout because i like the tempo's but im confused by the whole elctronic concert thing. Ive always personally gone to concerts to see the artists play their instruments/sing live etc...how does one do this when the music is produced by a computer?
If you like the music you hear you dance or bob your head to it, pretty simple, and no drugs aren't needed.

Some DJ's have alot of skill blending two tracks together and if you know the tracks being played you can recognize that, but really its not a visual performance (at least not for me). When it comes to Dnb there is usually a MC as well.

If its a Dubstep show though you cover your ears before they start to bleed, and run to get your money back

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Trudeau View Post
you watch the guy fiddle with knobs. It's pretty stupid. Sometimes he will have accompaniment like a big screen behind him or girls on stage.

I caught a bit of skrillex and it was dumb and I've also seen girl talk which was much better but also similar to watching a dj at a club/bar.

On the other hand if you get to see Grimes, she mixes, sings, plays keyboard, all infront of you. That is pretty cool.
Certainly can get behind the dj at the bar, and i think it would be pretty cool to see someone work the tables and sing at the same time it's like u said the other stuff i don't get oh well to each their own!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post

I'll ask the same question. What do you do at a rock concert? Watch the artist sing and play their instruments.

I have seen over 100 dj-producer over the past 2 years and have never taken drugs. The dj is playing his instrument which is the synthetiser and turn table. You have to understand how to dj before you can understand the beauty and skills necessary to do it live in front of thousands of people.

I compare turning knobs and buttons to hitting a string on a guitar. I'm not a dubstep fan so I don't enjoy that type of music. As a dj myself, going to a festival like this is amazing to discover new talent.

Guys saying it's just turning buttons and pressing play are just ignorant.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Margaret Trudeau*

It's still fun, it's still music, but it's not visual. It works for me if I know some of the songs being mixed (like at a club), I'm inebriated and dancing.

So I can definitely see the appeal.

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Trudeau View Post
It's still fun, it's still music, but it's not visual. It works for me if I know some of the songs being mixed (like at a club), I'm inebriated and dancing.

So I can definitely see the appeal.
It's definitely more of a party atmosphere given the younger audience. I'm not gonna lie, the light show does add a lot to a performance. But i've been to underground tech house shows with only a table and a couple of lights and still had the time of my life.

It all comes down to what kind of music you like.

On another note, Escapade just announces Mark Knight and Arty. Definitely the potential to have an amazing lineup.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
HAH! This is especially funny because most are complaining that Osheage is too mainstream.

But yeah, hipster I am not.
You gave "unique and relevant" as criteria you use to appreciate a music... There's no shame in it, music is all sorts of things to all sorts of people: but if uniqueness and relevance are things that matter to you in music you are the prototypical hipster. Being a hipster isn't a bad thing by the by.

Quote:
Because all their songs are the freaking same (and they aren't very good at song writting)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
You gave "unique and relevant" as criteria you use to appreciate a music... There's no shame in it, music is all sorts of things to all sorts of people: but if uniqueness and relevance are things that matter to you in music you are the prototypical hipster. Being a hipster isn't a bad thing by the by.

Because all their songs are the freaking same (and they aren't very good at song writting)
No, hipsters certainly do not like unique or relevant music. In fact, once something becomes relevant they generally detest it.

And I would strongly disagree that being a hipster isnt a bad thing.

But sure, if you think you can throw me into a little category based on 2 words on a message board, go for it.

You used the word freaking, so I am going to assume you like to have sex with animals you freak.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
No, hipsters certainly do not like unique or relevant music. In fact, once something becomes relevant they generally detest it.

And I would strongly disagree that being a hipster isnt a bad thing.

But sure, if you think you can throw me into a little category based on 2 words on a message board, go for it.

You used the word freaking, so I am going to assume you like to have sex with animals you freak.
If you think being a hipster is a bad thing then it's too bad

Also relevant is not the same as popular

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
If you think being a hipster is a bad thing then it's too bad

Also relevant is not the same as popular
I dont know how you can view it as a good thing to let others opinions sway your own so strongly. To only be able to define yourself by the clothes you wear and the fact that you dont like popular things. I think it speaks to a very strong insecurity.